Misconception of Devin Smith: Body Catcher

win4ever

I just don't get people keep saying he's a body catcher and that he needs to work on his hands, when he's shown to be a very good hands catcher, and a technical WR with his catches on top of that.   So I decided to chart his catches from the tapes available on Draft Breakdown. 

First game,  Michigan State (excellent defense with a very good secondary)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8ApMQsx0m8M

- First catch, jumps for the ball, catches with his hands, and turns up field immediately.  

- Second catch, catches with his hands, turns up field immediately.  (This is the quintessential opportunity for a body catcher btw, pass thrown right at his body)

-  Third catch, another catch with the hands and turning up field.  

-  Fourth catch, hand catch, and something that is technically sound.  He already had his body moving to get away from the defender before he catches the ball.  That ball was thrown right at his body, and he caught it to his side, because he was already starting his spin to try and evade the defender.  Again, a body catcher like Stephen Hill, catches that ball by jumping in that spot, and gets tackled immediately.  

-  Fifth Catch, another hands catch over the middle, negated by a penalty.  

-  Fifth Catch, an extremely good hand catch.  It's not just the hand catch that is impressive, he's using his body to make sure the defender can't dive or get a clear path to the ball.  If the defender goes for the ball, he has to go through Smith, and that's a penalty.  That's an excellent technical catch.  This is something a team like Seattle does with their WRs.   

-  Sixth Catch, deep pass caught with his hands again.  It's thrown perfectly also.  

That's an entire game tape of him, where I didn't see him catch one ball that was just against his body.   

Onto the next game:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j0-_o6SchBM

Against Wisconsin, which was top 4 last year in pass yards allowed per game.  

-First catch, borderline body catch.  DB seemed to be holding him there from jumping at first.

-  Second Body catch, but this is with the back towards the DB, and he's again forcing the DB to go through him to the ball.  

-   Third catch, hands catch, immediately turns up field.  Also notice how he's turning before the ball arrives, already trying to set up a move to avoid the DB.

-   Fourth Catch, extremely good hands catch in a contested situation, went right over the DB.  Excellent catch.  

He has one body catch, and one that is really borderline IMO.  Also, this game was a huge blowout, I don't think they threw much in the second half.  

I'm only allowed to embed two youtube links per post, so I'll break this up.  

Next game

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZwdxC7oD5s8

Illinois, as far as passing yards allowed, this was an above average team.  Came in right around South Carolina/Vanderbilt/Florida/Mizzou.   So not a cakewalk, but easier than the first two teams.

-  First catch, a good combo catch, again shielded the defender against the ball with his back, and then used his hands to bring the ball in.  I'd say this is a hands catch.  

-  Second catch, excellent hands catch in a 50/50 situation.  Also notice how he attacks the ball and jumps in front of the DB.  While the trajectory of the throw is different, this is extremely similar to the INT in the GB game last year, where Sudfeld instead of attack the ball, decided to round off his route and settle in behind the CB, when he could've gone directly for the ball and atleast made a play.  A body catcher runs this route in a round about form because he wants to catch the ball when it's on the downward angle towards the body.  

-  Third catch, another good hands catch.  

This game was a blowout from the word go, and Illinois didn't have a shot in this game.  So again, don't think they brought the A game in terms of passing.  

Last game:  

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fvD6P8pmpwk

Cincinnati, this was a below average passing defense, right around Texas Tech/Indiana/Arizona State/North Carolina

-  First catch, hands catch, and also he's moving his body before the draft, setting up the move up field.  

-  Second catch, hands catch in the middle of traffic. 

-  Third catch, I'm not exactly sure what this is, I think it's a hands catch, but angle is hard to see.  He's facing the sideline, so I'm guessing it has to be corralled by his hands first.  

-   First drop in the 4 games, and what was he trying to do?  Catch with his hands.  Infact, he was doing the same thing he's been doing before, he was twisting his body to make a move up field before the ball is there, and flat out dropped it.  

-  Fourth catch, great hands catch.  

That's 4 games where we can say he caught the ball against his body once for sure, and twice where it's hard to tell if it's a hands catch or a body catch.  To me, he's a much better hands catcher than people are letting on, and I think the biggest evidence of that is what he does right before catching.  If you have confidence in your hands, you can twist and turn your body before the catch to set up moves afterwards.  If you watch someone that is predominantly a body catcher, having a body that faces the QB or the trajectory of the ball is most important, because the body is really the mitt.  It's akin to catching a baseball with a glove, the body is the target, and your hands are the part of closing the mitt before the ball corrals out.  This was why Stephen Hill was a bad WR in terms of screen games and short passes leading to YAC for a guy that can run 4.3 dash.  He set up everything to try and catch the ball, so by the time he caught it, secured it, and then looked to make a move, someone was already about to tackle him.  The biggest issue for YAC is that initial move to get away from the one guy that is closest to you, and Smith is already trying to make a move on the guy before the ball is arriving, and that shows a ton of confidence in his arms.  Another thing that the RSP Filmroom guys mentioned, was that he is a late arms catcher.  He brings his arm up late (and they said Randy Moss did the same thing) so DBs can't tell if the ball is about to be there, and turn around to defend it.  It you put your arms up early, they know it's coming, and they can try and turn around to defend the ball better.  They can obviously still do it, just less time to accomplish it.  

He seems to be an extremely polished kid for someone that a bunch of people say is raw.  The way he sets up defenders by having their back towards him on these catches is technically sound.  He seems to do a good job at getting his feet in bounds (already seems to get both feet inbounds a lot on close plays), and in 50/50 situations, he seems to really go get the ball.   

Another video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1cjvErKu35g

This is OBJ's game vs. Mississippi State last year.  

-  First catch, high points the ball in traffic.  We seen Smith do this as well when needed, although his was on deeper passes.  

-  Second catch, just a great catch, I think it's akin to the play where Smith jumped the route in the Illinois game, but Beckham makes this play to be honest.  He's covered and basically uncovers himself when the ball arrives.  

-  Third catch, notice what Beckham is doing before the catch arrives there, he's turning his body before the ball is caught to set up his move.  He slips.  

-  Fourth catch- again notice how he's already moving to his right before he catches the ball.  

-  Fifth catch- similar to the one against Wisconsin?  

-  Sixth catch-  This is a great catch, it's a great late adjustment to the ball, and I don't know if I have evidence of Smith making a similar catch with such late adjustment on the fly. 

-  Seventh catch- He's already setting up his move after the catch before the catch.  

Devin Smith is not OBJ, but I just wanted to point out the similarities in the technical aspects of the game, and how they are both hands catchers (and I think OBJ had some questions about his hands for some reason as well last year).  Devin Smith won't be OBJ, he wasn't used as much as him, and he won't be featured like OBJ was last year for the Giants either with two WRs ahead of him.  But something that makes OBJ great besides the speed, is how good he's at the small stuff setting up catches and YAC, and that something also shows up in Devin Smith's game.  

If this is for a certain poster, don't bother. His favorite two expressions are "body catcher" and "one-trick pony." Smith is not a perfect receiver, but he has enormous talent and plenty of room in his ceiling to improve. He's got speed, great tracking ability, and can make some dazzling snatches. He'll be a perfect compliment to our stable of Marshall, Decker and Amaro.

great post, great analysis. the only thing i thought was kind of funny is it you watch the video under which you said "first drop in 4 games" the announces clearly says second drop on this drive for Smith. anyways, i like the pick...i think he could be a lot more Steve Smith then Mike Wallace.

great post, great analysis. the only thing i thought was kind of funny is it you watch the video under which you said "first drop in 4 games" the announces clearly says second drop on this drive for Smith. anyways, i like the pick...i think he could be a lot more Steve Smith then Mike Wallace.

More Steve Smith then Wallace, football boner!

Nice job.  Thanks.  Smith could stand to get bit stronger so he can fend off press coverage and the physical corners he is liable to face in the NFL but his upside is extremely high.   Playing with two of the best route runners in the NFL should only help accelerate his development in that area (Kerley is no slouch either).   

fwiw, during the WR episode of "game changers", michael Irvin was working with some of the top prospects on running slants

he told them. "on third down you catch it in your body.  I don't care what the "experts" tell you, I'm in the HOF and I'm telling you to catch it in your body because it's the money down"

so there's that

Funny thing about "body catching" is that several hall of fame receivers: Irvin for example on the Game Changers series, actually say you should body catch certain balls, notably some slants and crossing routes to prevent the ball from being knocked out. I have heard Collingsworth, Jerry Rice and many others discuss this. Let's face it. If Devin played in a spread offense, he would have been a Top 10 pick. He is uber talented.

fwiw, during the WR episode of "game changers", michael Irvin was working with some of the top prospects on running slants

he told them. "on third down you catch it in your body. I don't care what the "experts" tell you, I'm in the HOF and I'm telling you to catch it in your body because it's the money down"

so there's that

Good point, and if you've watched 30 for 30 Rand U, the Randy Moss documentary one, he talked about all this mumbo jumbo if you don't catch the ball with your hands you don't have good ball skills, and he was like man when I grew up it didn't matter how you caught the ball, just catch it man, and that's what I did, catch the ball with my hands body both whatever it took to make the catch.

devin-smith-catch-9-1-121.gif?w=1000

OMGODB.0.gif

Great side by side gif.

One thing that jumps out thou is how ODB catches the ball on the opposite side of his hand, and behind him, and Smith is same side, and from the side. In a quick look it's comparable, but when you look at it closely it's not even close ODB catch is world's apart IMO.

Great side by side gif.

One thing that jumps out thou is how ODB catches the ball on the opposite side of his hand, and behind him, and Smith is same side, and from the side. In a quick look it's comparable, but when you look at it closely it's not even close ODB catch is world's apart IMO.

Actually, Smith's catch is spectacular for another reason -- he find a way to twist his body to pull the ball in while OBJ falls back with the ball... spectacular catch from a "how did he defy the laws of nature" re the ball path, but both are spectacular in their own rights.

Great side by side gif.

ODB's catch is the greatest WR catch I've ever seen. I couldnt even compare the two in that regard. What I am showing is Smith's hand/eye coordination and that he can make unbelievably tough catches in game. The degree of difficulty, though not as extraordinary as Beckham's is still pretty high. The ball is clearly overthrown and Smith makes a body twisting 1 handed grab running at top speed while having to jump a couple feet in the air while catching it at the very peak of his jump. 

That's elite skill right there. Very Odell Beckham'ish. 

ODB's catch is the greatest WR catch I've ever seen. I couldnt even compare the two in that regard. What I am showing is Smith's hand/eye coordination and that he can make unbelievably tough catches in game. The degree of difficulty, though not as extraordinary as Beckham's is still pretty high. The ball is clearly overthrown and Smith makes a body twisting 1 handed grab running at top speed while having to jump a couple feet in the air while catching it at the very peak of his jump.

That's elite skill right there.

My post wasn't ment to knock Smith, it was just more to say let's not look like dumb Jets fans, and try, and go mouthing off to Giant fans we got a better ODB that's all.

Love Smith, he demonstrates awesome ball skills, can catch it with his hands, and body, and is an elite tracker of the football while it's in the air, and his shorts speed translates on the football field. And lime I said in an early post having Marshall, Decker, and Kerley who are all polished route runners it gives him time to learn, and polish his lack of route running abilities, and at the same time contribute with deep posts, fly routes, and WR screens. Also just having those guys on the field at the same time forces defenses to play only 6 in the box which will benefit the running game equally if not more than the passing game.

My post wasn't ment to knock Smith, it was just more to say let's not look like dumb Jets fans, and try, and go mouthing off to Giant fans we got a better ODB that's all.

Love Smith, he demonstrates awesome ball skills, can catch it with his hands, and body, and is an elite tracker of the football while it's in the air, and his shorts speed translates on the football field. And lime I said in an early post having Marshall, Decker, and Kerley who are all polished route runners it gives him time to learn, and polish his lack of route running abilities, and at the same time contribute with deep posts, fly routes, and WR screens. Also just having those guys on the field at the same time forces defenses to play only 6 in the box which will benefit the running game equally if not more than the passing game.

I didnt think it was. Odell Beckham is just that good. The obvious isnt a knock on anyone. 

That first catch against Michigan State was pretty telling. Hands flew up, made the catch, came down just as quickly, and was ready to go from there. That's a little Steve Smith-esque, I was wondering why I heard that name tied to Smith.

he told them. "on third down you catch it in your body.  I don't care what the "experts" tell you, I'm in the HOF and I'm telling you to catch it in your body because it's the money down"

so there's that

I saw that episode and it's been something I've said on here for years; there are times you catch the ball with your hands and times when you do not. 

Here's the link for Irvin saying just that, 2:30ish when he starts talking about the slants.  http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-draft/09000d5d8286cd8e/Game-Changers-Justin-Blackmon-with-Michael-Irvin

If this is for a certain poster, don't bother. His favorite two expressions are "body catcher" and "one-trick pony." Smith is not a perfect receiver, but he has enormous talent and plenty of room in his ceiling to improve. He's got speed, great tracking ability, and can make some dazzling snatches. He'll be a perfect compliment to our stable of Marshall, Decker and Amaro.

I didn't really make it for a certain poster, because that's just not worth the time, lol.  I saw a couple reports that mentioning that he needs to work on his hands (I think one was the SNY recap although I could be mistaken) and it just went against what what I had seen with him on tape.  So I figured, might as well make a post about it.  He has some really high ceiling, but the guy does need to improve a good amount.  He's by no means OBJ nor is he as ready as OBJ was when he came in the league because he ran a limited route tree at OSU.  But the potential and the fit on the team is really good.  This felt like a scout's pick where they saw all the right little things, oversaw the stats, and made the pick.  

Thanks,  Lol, I re watched the video, I don't see him drop one on the drive or the game.  I see the RB drop a pass on the drive, so maybe the announcer got confused or whoever compiled the list didn't include the drop.  He definitely has some potential, but he's going to take some time.  Smith runs the underneath routes extremely well, and played more physical, but the skill set is definitely there.  I don't think he's as strong as Smith though.  

Nice job.  Thanks.  Smith could stand to get bit stronger so he can fend off press coverage and the physical corners he is liable to face in the NFL but his upside is extremely high.   Playing with two of the best route runners in the NFL should only help accelerate his development in that area (Kerley is no slouch either).   

Thanks.  Yeah, he definitely needs to work on his upper body strength (I think he only had 7 reps or so at the combine) and yeah, he needs to work on his routes.  But having Decker and Marshall should really help him assimilate at first with less attention on him, and also help with learning the routes.  I think besides the route running, his technical aspects to the game are excellent.  It'll also help that he goes up against a very good CB group in practice as well. 

so there's that

Lol, yeah, I saw that one too while looking at Kevin White.  FWIW, pretty sure Irving is on drugs, way too hyped up for catching a ball.  

Yeah, I'm not really saying, body catching is wrong, it's just that there are guys that are not hand catchers, and they need to use their body to catch in situations where it's not optimal.  If a pass is coming at your chest level, and you don't need to make a move right afterwards, it's advantageous to body catch the ball, less chance of dropping the pass.  Similar to a deep pass that's coming down like a rainbow, and you are already behind the defense and wide open, body catch that because it's like catching a punt.  Also, when sliding, body catching a ball is the best bet. 

But guys get labeled body catchers because they can't catch well with their hands.  Stephen Hill is a somewhat extreme example because of how raw he was, but the difference between a body catcher and a hands catcher can be shown by using him, since we're all too familiar with that guy.  We always saw Hill jump up for no reason whatsoever to catch a ball that is coming at his chest.  This kills his YAC ability.  A hands catcher can catch that ball with his hands around the chest, stay on the ground, and move quickly.  An excellent hands catcher can start moving before the ball arrives, which was what I was pointing out between OBJ and Smith.  It doesn't really preclude them from catching it with their body, but they only do it, when the risks are reduced, instead of a consistent basis, which was the issue with Hill.  And Hill wasn't someone that had horrible hands, his issue was set up.  He was so worried about catching it with his body, he couldn't use any of the advantages he had in size or speed, which gave an extra step to defenders and he get him annihilated as he was trying to catch a pass. 

Devin is a good player...he is not a body catcher....senility abounds 

Yeah, he's very much a hands catcher, which should only help us out in the future, because that helps us take advantage of his speed.   

Funny thing about "body catching" is that several hall of fame receivers: Irvin for example on the Game Changers series, actually say you should body catch certain balls, notably some slants and crossing routes to prevent the ball from being knocked out. I have heard Collingsworth, Jerry Rice and many others discuss this. Let's face it. If Devin played in a spread offense, he would have been a Top 10 pick. He is uber talented.

Yeah, as I just responded above, it's definitely worth it to catch with your body when you can.  But too many guys labeled body catchers have trouble catching with their hands, so they have to set everything up to catch with their bodies.  Again, example would be Stephen Hill, but he's an extreme example.  In most of the highlight tapes of Irvin/Rice, they catch with their hands, but there are also instances where they catch with their body, especially when it's coming towards their chest or stomach.  

Jerry Rice, body catcher. See 1:12 to 1:22 and 1:53. Seriously body-catching is as much a product of the play and the position of the ball from the QB as how the receiver pulls it in. There isn't a receiver out there who hasn't used his body to advantage on some balls.

Exactly, it's something where the throw determines the catch.  It's also advantageous if you are going over the middle, and about to get hit by a safety, since you can hold onto the ball much better pressed against your body than your hands.   

He totally body caught these. 

DevinSmithCatch.jpg

DOG-osu2-master675.jpg

Devin+Smith+Colorado+v+Ohio+State+Z8Czke

22-devin-smith-td-ac.jpg

bill-smith-sept8jpg-59da01248efd0f59.jpg

0915-devin-smith-td-fs.jpg

ohio-state-devin-smith-buffalo-touchdownB9315387262Z.1_20141206235416_000_GNB9B9

hi-res-04b8f60eb30b6704cdde9688ebc219b4_

Oh, there you go. Finally! 

wisconsin_ohiostate.png

Thanks, some great pictures.  

Good point, and if you've watched 30 for 30 Rand U, the Randy Moss documentary one, he talked about all this mumbo jumbo if you don't catch the ball with your hands you don't have good ball skills, and he was like man when I grew up it didn't matter how you caught the ball, just catch it man, and that's what I did, catch the ball with my hands body both whatever it took to make the catch.

Moss was an excellent hands catcher, probably one of the most under-rated things about him.  But as the others, it's advantageous in certain areas, but there is also a limit to it.  If the placement of the ball allows for it, then great, but it's when they have to set up catches to be body catches, when the problems start to arise.  

Actually, Smith's catch is spectacular for another reason -- he find a way to twist his body to pull the ball in while OBJ falls back with the ball... spectacular catch from a "how did he defy the laws of nature" re the ball path, but both are spectacular in their own rights.

They are both great catches, but OBJ is on another level.  I think it's actually harder to do what OBJ is doing, because Smith's twist and turned was initiated by him, where was OBJ was interfered with and falling down, and still made the catch..

That's elite skill right there. Very Odell Beckham'ish. 

I agree, OBJ catch is definitely a step above, but Smith's catch is extremely impressive.  

I love Smith's ball skills, besides Cooper, he was the one guy that tracked the deep pass extremely well this year.  I think it was one of the most attractive aspects to Cooper's game because he didn't lose much speed at all on a deep pass, and had different gears to set up the CB, exactly like Smith.  Obviously, Cooper was also great in the intermediate area, hence why he went much higher.   

With our current team set up, I think Smith would really thrive in our offense in limited opportunities.  I don't think his stats are going to be that gaudy, because we have to feed three guys that are going to be higher up on the chain in Marshall, Decker, and likely Amaro.  But I do expect a few long TD throws to him, and much more room underneath for the other guys to operate when he's on the field because that safety has to be worried about Smith.  

I didnt think it was. Odell Beckham is just that good. The obvious isnt a knock on anyone. 

Yeah, it was kinda heart breaking to see him not fall last year.  He was my favorite prospect last year in the area we were projected to pick.  

That first catch against Michigan State was pretty telling. Hands flew up, made the catch, came down just as quickly, and was ready to go from there. That's a little Steve Smith-esque, I was wondering why I heard that name tied to Smith.

Yeah, he has quick hands, and a late pass catcher.  If he can just get the intermediate routes down pat, could really be a threat in the future once Marshall moves on.  

for me the question on smith is how he will be able to handle press coverage/physical defense. didn't see any examples of that.

I'm not sure how much you can press him though, because of his speed.  I think defenses have to respect the speed enough (especially considering it's the 3rd CB on the defense that's going against him) that they have to back off, otherwise, they have to move the safety to the area where Smith is as well, at which point we have two better WRs getting one on one matchups possibly.  I don't think he'll have a problem with contested catches, seemed to be extremely good in that aspect.   Teams may try to be physical with him, but I think more times than not, they will be forced to back off.

Thanks for posting- I'm excited about his ability.

He's an unwilling blocker tho, Bowles and Decker will change that

Thanks, yeah, he's a bad blocker.  Almost to the point that he's a detriment because he seems to just try and be in the way of a blocker than actually block the guy.  

I saw that episode and it's been something I've said on here for years; there are times you catch the ball with your hands and times when you do not. 

Here's the link for Irvin saying just that, 2:30ish when he starts talking about the slants.  http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-draft/09000d5d8286cd8e/Game-Changers-Justin-Blackmon-with-Michael-Irvin

Yeah, it really depends on the situation, there are some times where body catching helps, especially when it's about to be hard contact.  

so there's that

He may be in the HOF, but does he post?

Great thread 4ever! 

As a Buckeye fan, the "big" plays I remembered were the game changers when Devin was alone down field waiting for the ball, and those were body catches, but as you pointed out, he was catching a rainbow similar to a punt and that was correct for the throw...  

Also why I think he will be a perfect fit on the Jets, if defenses focus on Marshall and Decker and let Smith get loose it will be fun for the Jet's since all three QB's have the arm to get the ball downfield and that is the type of play that turns the game... (we have seen our share on the other side in the last few years)

Plus Kerley and/or Amaro will be open check down options and Posey will be in the hunt as well

I'm not worried about body catching, it's alligator arms that hate to see.

+1

Laveranues Coles was a notorious body catcher, jumping for balls thrown chest high and catching them in his gut. He did okay.

Devin Smith's unwillingness to block is a bit of a concern, might be a sign that he's not fond of contact. I'm very excited to see him play, and how teams play him. Pressing him at the LOS is dangerous because of his speed. If he gets past that press, he could be gone. If he's on the field as the team's third or fourth WR, their opponent isn't going to move one of their top corners off of Decker or Marshall to cover him. I think most teams will be forced to keep a safety back whenever he's on the field - something new when defending against the Jets.

I liked this pick a lot. Looks like a great prospect, and a perfect compliment to the team's WR corps.

Sorry but you're dead wrong. Devin Smith is going to be just as good if not better than OBJ.

We NEED him to be, after Idzik didn't take OBJ, who was SUPPOSED TO BE A JET.

Archived