2016 QBs

SonnyJet

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

In case anyone was still wondering...

Paxton Lynch - QB -  Tigers

"Its about 95% "go" " for Memphis redshirt junior QB Paxton Lynch to enter the 2016 NFL draft, TFY Draft Insider Tony Pauline reports.

"I’m told members of Lynch’s inner circle have been meeting extensively with agents and its just a matter of the quarterback staying healthy for the rest of the season," Pauline wrote. The Memphis prospect has seen his stock sky rocket this season, and with a 18-1 TD-INT ratio and seven straight consecutive games with 300-plus passing yards, it's easy to see why. The 6-foot-7 signal caller is now being mocked in the top-10 of drafts around the industry.

• 4 weeks later...

if the jets go 8-8 what would they give up to get Cook?

Jets won't trades up Mike Tanny is not the GM anymore. Cook I think is the better QB out of them all if he gone take either RB, Ezekiel Elliott or a OL,

It's a lazy comparison, but i'm buying the kirk cousins talk with him. He does just enough, nothing more. He's no tame impala.

Good man (Bold).

And yeah, doesn't seem like he looks down field, unless a guy is wide open, prefers the Alex Smith passes. I think he can be coached up though.

It's a lazy comparison, but i'm buying the kirk cousins talk with him. He does just enough, nothing more. He's no tame impala.

This season we had so many injuries on the offensive line and then he had his shoulder injured vs the Terps.  On top of that our receivers are definitely a step down from what we has over the previous two seasons.

This season we had so many injuries on the offensive line and then he had his shoulder injured vs the Terps.  On top of that our receivers are definitely a step down from what we has over the previous two seasons.

Maybe... Cook's one of the few high caliber QB prospects I'll be closely following from a combine/workout standpoint. Some guys I put less stock in such frivolities, but in his case, I'll genuinely interested on how he tests and throws.  

Maybe... Cook's one of the few high caliber QB prospects I'll be closely following from a combine/workout standpoint. Some guys I put less stock in such frivolities, but in his case, I'll genuinely interested on how he tests and throws.  

I think, and I'm sure SpartanJet can attest, that his arm is very deceiving. I think it's the way he tends to throw that makes people believe he's unable put a lot behind the ball. He seems to short-arm it, without using his legs all the time. I stand by my "coach-him-up" view of him. I really do think he can be a good pro. 

I think, and I'm sure SpartanJet can attest, that his arm is very deceiving. I think it's the way he tends to throw that makes people believe he's unable put a lot behind the ball. He seems to short-arm it, without using his legs all the time. I stand by my "coach-him-up" view of him. I really do think he can be a good pro. 

I'm not overly concerned about Cook looking like Ponder in the NFL, but there's a line in the sand between the Kirk Cousins of the sport, and the Brees/Rivers (too avoid using hyperbole with names like Manning/Brady).... it comes down to managing the game - to use the word ubiquitously. Being able to know what's happening on both sides of the ball. Some guys like Matt Ryan just can't adjust or elevate beyond their means...

Which segues into another topic... How many good QBs are there these days?? What are we even gauging success on nowadays? You take the HOFers out of the conversation for a second (Brady, artist formerly known as Manning)... and what we left with? 

• Big Ben, Luck, Newton... Rivers and Brees for another year?
  • The NFL is remarkably devoid of QB benchmarks at this point in time. Some play good for stretches, but... man.
  • Has it always been like this, or is it a function of the way we baptize these guys by fire in year 1? 

There is something about Cook that doesn't sit right with me.  I can't put my finger on it.  I just hope to god that our Gm and team are still looking seriously at QB's in this draft and are not content with Petty as the big prospect.  I want competition for that developmental guy. 

I agree.  I think he could use some more coaching on his footwork but he does have a very live arm.  He is able to short-arm so many throws because he actually has a very strong arm.  He has all the physical and I believe mental skills to play the position as well as a knack for coming though in big situations.  I'd love the Jets to be in a position to draft him.

I agree.  I think he could use some more coaching on his footwork but he does have a very live arm.  He is able to short-arm so many throws because he actually has a very strong arm.  He has all the physical and I believe mental skills to play the position as well as a knack for coming though in big situations.  I'd love the Jets to be in a position to draft him.

That's exactly what I see. Although, I'll admit, after last season I thought he'd be relatively more pro-ready than he appears now. I think he's a 1st tier development QB. 

Side note: I wonder if one of the reasons of why he appears jumpy in the pocket is because of that disgustingly intentional hit he took a couple years back. If so, that's no good.

I'm not overly concerned about Cook looking like Ponder in the NFL, but there's a line in the sand between the Kirk Cousins of the sport, and the Brees/Rivers (too avoid using hyperbole with names like Manning/Brady).... it comes down to managing the game - to use the word ubiquitously. Being able to know what's happening on both sides of the ball. Some guys like Matt Ryan just can't adjust or elevate beyond their means...

Which segues into another topic... How many good QBs are there these days?? What are we even gauging success on nowadays? You take the HOFers out of the conversation for a second (Brady, artist formerly known as Manning)... and what we left with? 

• Big Ben, Luck, Newton... Rivers and Brees for another year?
  • The NFL is remarkably devoid of QB benchmarks at this point in time. Some play good for stretches, but... man.
  • Has it always been like this, or is it a function of the way we baptize these guys by fire in year 1? 

Russell Wilson.

• 2 weeks later...

AS A COLLEGE FOOTBALL EXPERT HERE IS MY TOP 6 QBS     1. CONNOR COOK        TOP 10 GRADE                                   MICHIGAN ST.

2. PAXTON LYNCH        TOP 10 GRADE                                  MEMPHIS

3. NATE SUDFIELD        MID 1ST GRADE                                INDIANA

4. JARED GOFF               MID TO LATE 1ST GRADE               CALIFORNIA

5. BRANDON DOUGHTY    MID 2ND GRADE                          WESTERN KENTUCKY

6. CARSON WENTZ           MID 2ND GRADE                           NORTH DAKOTA ST.

HACKENBERG  IS 7  BUT CHAD KELLY IF IS COMING OUT WILL BE INTERESTING.  HE WOULD BE IN MY TOP 5.

Lynch, Goff, Cook all gone before the Jets get a chance to pick. The first 2 are guaranteed to go top 10. Goff, being a Cal guy is probably locked in for the 49ers. Lynch will probably be going to the Cleveland Browns if Mike Pettine is fired after a 4 win season. You also have the Bears, Rams, Eagles (?), Texans among others, on the lookout for a QB.

How did it turn out my friend? Did you enjoy your Sundays? :)

LOL, yes I actually enjoyed Saturdays and Sundays so far, both teams struggled with consistency but beat their hated rivals at the end of the year :) 

Memories, this was right after the IK punch, Bowles handled it well and the Jets emerged from the fire like the phoenix

I've been looking at the available QB's this year and I've come to the conclusion that Carson Wentz is the best QB in this draft. 

If he went to a top school he would be touted as a top 5 prospect. He seems to be the most talented QB coming out this year. I hope the Jets draft him and sit him a year. Im not sure if he's going to make it to the 2nd/3rd round especially if he goes to the senior bowl/combine/pro day and does his thing. 

This kid is really good. If the Jets make a nice run in the playoffs they'll have like a mid 20's pick. I'd spend that pick on Carson Wentz if he's available. Being the best QB (in my eyes) makes him arguably the best player in the draft just based on position importance. Dude is a beast and I think he'd do well in Chan's system. 

Hey @dbatesman

You asked me a few weeks back who's my fav WR coming out. After looking lightly I dont seen much that has really impressed me. Though what I can say that I came across is this guy Carson Wentz. @mesabison actually mentioned him earlier in this thread but after watching his tape the dude to me looks like the best QB in this draft. 

I havent really jumped all the way in to looking at players, I've only looked at the OT/QB/WR positions, and Carson Wentz, Ronnie Stanley Laremy Tunsil look like legit talents. The Jets probably wont have a high enough draft pick to draft Stanley/Tunsil to replace D'Brick, but I think Carson Wentz is a guy who can drop to us given the other high profile names. 

After looking at those other high profile players, none of them look as developed as Carson Wentz. If I come across a WR I'll make sure to let you know. 

I've been looking at the available QB's this year and I've come to the conclusion that Carson Wentz is the best QB in this draft. 

If he went to a top school he would be touted as a top 5 prospect. He seems to be the most talented QB coming out this year. I hope the Jets draft him and sit him a year. Im not sure if he's going to make it to the 2nd/3rd round especially if he goes to the senior bowl/combine/pro day and does his thing. 

This kid is really good. If the Jets make a nice run in the playoffs they'll have like a mid 20's pick. I'd spend that pick on Carson Wentz if he's available. Being the best QB (in my eyes) makes him arguably the best player in the draft just based on position importance. Dude is a beast and I think he'd do well in Chan's system. 

Let's pump the brakes there, friendo. He's a fine piece of clay, and has the measurables and touch to warrant being a 2nd/3rd round guy - if you like him - kind of guy, but he's playing CFL competition and footwork needs an overhaul... Nice release though. 

Let's pump the brakes there, friendo. He's a fine piece of clay, and has the measurables and touch to warrant being a 2nd/3rd round guy - if you like him - kind of guy, but he's playing CFL competition and footwork needs an overhaul... Nice release though. 

Maybe he's this year's "Joe Flacco". He went to Delaware. 

Maybe he's this year's "Joe Flacco". He went to Delaware. 

Indeed he did... but the NFL draft is not known for having perennial Delaware dark horses. Wentz is definitely on the radar, but best QB in the draft is taking some massive liberties with the subject matter IMO. Is he playing in any of the senior/NFLPA/East-West bowls?   

Archived