Old man Shula still taking stabs at the Patriots whenever he can.

CanadienJetsFan

I'm personally lovin' this....

Don Shula tweaks the Patriots: We didn’t deflate any balls

Hall of Fame coach Don Shula has never hidden his contempt for Patriots coach Bill Belichick. So when Shula appeared today at a 50th anniversary celebration of the Dolphins franchise, it was no surprise that he took a shot at the Patriots.

Shula referenced Deflategate in his comments, contrasting the way the Dolphins won with class with the way Beli-cheat, as Shula calls him, wins with something less than class.

“Always done with a lot of class. A lot of dignity. Always done the right way. We didn’t deflate any balls,” Shula said, via Armando Salguero of the Miami Herald.

The 85-year-old Shula has been retired for two decades, but he’s still fiercely protective of the legacy of his teams, and ornery about the teams who don’t — in Shula’s opinion — play the game the right way. This wasn’t the first time we’ve heard Shula rip the Patriots, and it likely won’t be the last.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2015/05/09/don-shula-tweaks-the-patriots-we-didnt-deflate-any-balls/

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I fondly remember the beatdown a very mediocre Patriots team led by Tony Eason gave his Dan Marino-led Dolphins in the 1986 AFCC.

After the game, I remember thinking: "Don Shula, you may have choked against my clown show of a team, but at least you choked with a lot of class and a lot of dignity.  And you choked the right way, as always."  Godspeed, Don Shula. 

Wasn't he the coach when Miami left the field uncovered for the AFCCG so it turned into the "mud bowl"? Doesn't sound like class to me.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk

Bastard cheated just like Belichick.

Jets should have & would have beaten the Fins on a field that wasn't a mud bowl. That would never be allowed to happen in this day & age.

Proof is they lost to the Redskins.

That Jet team would have KILLED that Redskin team.

Shula stole a Super Bowl from the Jets & Walt Michaels knew it. Had Walt been able to get at Shula after that game which he tried to do, Shula would have gotten the azz kicking he deserved for not covering the Orange Bowl field which was known to have poor drainage before he left the tarps off.

I fondly remember the beatdown a very mediocre Patriots team led by Tony Eason gave his Dan Marino-led Dolphins in the 1986 AFCC.

After the game, I remember thinking: "Don Shula, you may have choked against my clown show of a team, but at least you choked with a lot of class and a lot of dignity.  And you choked the right way, as always."  Godspeed, Don Shula.

The jets were not a clown show during those years. Did you even watch football back then?

He didn't just leave the Orange Bowl untarped.  He had the hoses running all night as well to add to the rain.  The Jets were definitely not mudders.  

That was the strike-shortened season.  The Dolphins had already beaten the Jets twice during the shortened regular season.  But Shula knew the Jets were the better team anyway and took measures to give his Dolphins an unfair advantage.  The rest is history.

Wasn't he the coach when Miami left the field uncovered for the AFCCG so it turned into the "mud bowl"? Doesn't sound like class to me.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk

Yup, he was. He 'forgot' to tell the ground crew to cover the field. Not only did we lose but after the game Walt Michaels, the HC of the NYJ, had a few too many on the plane ride home, got fired, and they made Joe Walton the HC. What a total disaster. And then they took O'Brien instead of Marino in  the draft.

He didn't just leave the Orange Bowl untarped.  He had the hoses running all night as well to add to the rain.  The Jets were definitely not mudders.  

That was the strike-shortened season.  The Dolphins had already beaten the Jets twice during the shortened regular season.  But Shula knew the Jets were the better team anyway and took measures to give his Dolphins an unfair advantage.  The rest is history.

Back then, the home team had complete control of the playing field.

That was a smart move by Shula to gain a competitive advantage.

Because of that game, the NFL now controls the field 48 hours prior to kick-off.

Because of that game, the NFL now controls the field 48 hours prior to kick-off.

yes.  Just like the balls will never again be in the hands of team personnel.  Only the refs.  

It takes a despicable act or series of unethical acts for new rules to be enacted to forbid them.  The Dolphins and the Patriots have histories of perpetrating such acts.  Something for both franchises to be proud of in some people's twisted minds.

[Expletive] tom….make sure the pump is attached to the needle…..[expletive] watermelons coming

The Patriots* have a proud tradition in cheating that predates the Kraft/Belichick era:

Remember when they got the convict that was out on work release to plow the area where they were going to attempt a game winning FG in a snowstorm?

Whenever a "smart move" is deemed so unsportsmanlike that the league is compelled to make a new rule to outlaw the practice, it's really not such a smart move. The league is basically saying, in retrospect, that it was cheating. Seems like most of the Patriots innovations over the years fall into that category, too.

Shula calling the Patriots on ANYTHING is like the pot calling the kettle black. Both cheated and got away with it. Shula was head of the committee that graded officials and his team was ALWAYS the least penalized team in the league. Coincidence? I think not. However, in the case of the mud bowl I don't think the Jets would have beaten the Dolphins, but they would have had a better chance. The Jets lost 3 times to Miami that year and two of them were blowouts. Richard Todd did not match up well with the Miami secondary. He must have thought he was supposed to throw to them.

Like tampering and coaches tripping players?

Your a jackass. The 'tampering' charge was filed after a dumb but innocent comment by a not very media savvy owner and the tripping was one coach stepping out of line. NOT an entire organization that thinks the NFL rule book are merely suggestions that don't have to be abided by to the letter.

Archived