calvin pryor ~ ~ ~

kelly

Calvin Pryor, the Jets' first-round pick last year, endured a rocky rookie season.

Some of his problems were his own doing — like the time he was benched for arriving late to meetings. But some of them stemmed from issues outside his control. Because of the Jets' shaky cornerback situation, Pryor had to play more deep coverage than was initially planned for him.

Pryor is a natural strong safety who has long excelled making thumping, potentially turnover-causing hits close to the line of scrimmage. So he was out of his comfort zone often last season, playing deep coverage.

That shouldn't happen again this season. The Jets signed free safety Marcus Gilchrist in free agency. Gilchrist's arrival will let Pryor play in his natural spot, closer to the line. Pryor, who is high on the potential of the Jets' revamped secondary, believes his return to a natural role will lead to more production from him in 2015."Yes, I feel like I'll be able to make more plays and make things happen for the defense," he said. "I'm not really trying to think back on last year. I'm just trying to look forward and see what happens this year. I don't have any excuses [about last year]. This year, I'm pretty sure it'll be different, though."

Last year, Pryor had no interceptions, no forced fumbles and no fumble recoveries. Pro Football Focus rated him 29th out of 87 NFL safeties last season, including 48th in coverage and 28th against the run.Gilchrist is currently sidelined at practice as he recovers from a shoulder injury. He should be back for training camp. While Pryor obviously wants Gilchrist on the field, so they can work together, Gilchrist's absence hasn't made it difficult for Pryor to become comfortable in coach Todd Bowles' defense this spring."Not at all," Pryor said. "I'm playing my natural position. I'm back to doing what I do in the box. It's been pretty easy for me, for the most part. I'll be happy when Marcus gets back, so we can have a communication, and be down pat."

Still, Pryor doesn't think his job will necessarily be easier now. He pointed out that while Gilchrist will be the roaming, free safety in the deep areas of the secondary, Pryor still has coverage responsibilities as the strong safety."Me being down in the box means I'm covering tight ends, so [Gilchrist] is more free now, playing the middle of the field," Pryor said. "So I have more responsibility on myself. But at least I'm closer to the line of scrimmage and closer to the ball."

The Jets' new secondary coach, Joe Danna, is taking a wait-and-see approach with Pryor, since the Jets haven't even put on pads yet."It's still very early in the process," Danna said. "Time will tell with that, but I've been very pleased with Calvin. I liked him a lot coming out of college. When I was down in Atlanta [working for the Falcons], I evaluated him, liked him. And everything that I saw in college, I see now: I see a guy that can be versatile. He's very willing to learn, he's smart, works hard, good athlete. Those are things you can tell now."

Danna said safeties, in particular, usually face a tough rookie adjustment."It's hard, especially for the safeties, because so much is put on them, mentally, not only to know what they're doing, but then they've got to communicate it, and they've got to tell everybody else what to do," Danna said. "So I think that's a tough transition. Sometimes it takes guys longer than others, and some guys get it right away. I don't know what happened with him last year, but I'm excited with where he is right now."

> http://www.nj.com/jets/index.ssf/2015/06/playing_natural_role_jets_calvin_pryor_thinks_hell.html

Good to hear. I'll be honest, between all the additions we've made in the secondary this offseason and Pryor having a relative quiet rookie year I almost forgot he was on the roster, but he could really add a dimension we haven't had at safety other than that 1 year we had Laron Landry (and he only played a handful of games with Revis until he suffered the season ending ACL injury).

He'll have plenty of freedom to roam around this season without having to worry about the corners getting destroyed, which is another example of how important the presence of Revis is on a defense. He really is one of the most valuable players on that side of the ball in this league.

Antonio Allen is a guy I'm really high on and expect big things from this season as well. He probably won't be starting (at least not right away) but I'm sure he'll get plenty of snaps in nickel and dime packages to cover TEs and play that LB/S hybrid position that Bowles likes to use and Allen played in college.

The season can't come fast enough!

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk

I wonder how many snaps he spent in the box, because with all of the articles that have been written on him since mid-season, you'd think he was lined up 40 yards deep every time he got on the field. 

I wonder how many snaps he spent in the box, because with all of the articles that have been written on him since mid-season, you'd think he was lined up 40 yards deep every time he got on the field. 

Yeah.  This does seem to be getting overblown, but I think it is more a matter of responsibilities.  He couldn't spend as much time coming forward because the back end was so weak.  If the corners are as good as they can be and the line plays like last year, he can spend much more time cleaning up the trash and helping underneath.

Yeah. This does seem to be getting overblown, but I think it is more a matter of responsibilities. He couldn't spend as much time coming forward because the back end was so weak. If the corners are as good as they can be and the line plays like last year, he can spend much more time cleaning up the trash and helping underneath.

That's the beauty of having corners that don't need safety help. Frees up the safeties to make some plays

I saw nothing encouraging from Pryor last year. NOTHING. Don't hold your breath guys.

On the other hand, Amaro seems like a knucklehead with concentration lapses...but at least he showed something, the potential to be a decent threat in the passing game.

IK Enemkpali showed potential as a pass rusher.

The rest of that draft looks like a total disaster. Thanks Idziot.

I saw nothing encouraging from Pryor last year. NOTHING. Don't hold your breath guys.

On the other hand, Amaro seems like a knucklehead with concentration lapses...but at least he showed something, the potential to be a decent threat in the passing game.

We are absolutely paying a price for IDziks 2 years with us....

We are absolutely paying a price for IDziks 2 years with us....

The man should be drawn and quartered for passing on Martavis Bryant three times, a 3rd and 2 4ths, when the scouting department was pleading for him.

The Martavis Bryant miss will haunt the Jets for years.

Almost literally everywhere you look on this defense there is the potential for them to not just be a little bit better but to be significantly better than the defense last year.  The end results should be fun to watch.

Pryor was billed as Bob Sanders - it was rare but we saw flashes of that last year in just 3 or 4 of his hits.

His angles as a deep safety were the worst I've ever seen.  He basically needs to play like an extra LBer that covers some tight end but is mostly blitzing and blowing up RB's.

I am actually more excited to see Calvin Pryor than anybody other than Revis and Richardson.  I just think he could blow up a lot of plays this year.  I'm just excited to see him attacking forward.

I guess you didn't watch the pre season games before McDougle got hurt because he looked pretty good, Pryor also looked decent before Milliner and McDougle got hurt before the season started, Amaro had one of the highest reception per target ratios in the NFL last season. Aside from that Idzik drafted depth for our OL and lets not forget a defensive rookie of the year in Sheldon Richardson who a lot of people were upset about because we didn't draft a WR with that pick. As for the other comment about missing on Martavis Bryant I honestly don't think he missed as much as he didn't want to draft a player who had known character issues, I mean why not talk down Macc for passing on Green-Beckham if that is the case.

Pryor was a bad pick that only Idzik+Rex would have made.  I'd bet anything that with Mac+Bowles in charge that year we'd have gone in a different direction.  I doubt they would have been content with Geno/Vic and would have drafted a QB somewhere along the line.  I know it's 20/20 hindsight but Bridgewater was available there and with the adults running things he very well might have been a Jet right now.

I hope Pryor turns out to be ok but with a chronically QB needy team and a prospect like Teddy on the board it's just one more frustration to have to deal with.  This year I would have gone with Grayson in the 3rd but I'm not complaining about Petty.  

Pryor was a bad pick that only Idzik+Rex would have made.  I'd bet anything that with Mac+Bowles in charge that year we'd have gone in a different direction.  I doubt they would have been content with Geno/Vic and would have drafted a QB somewhere along the line.  I know it's 20/20 hindsight but Bridgewater was available there and with the adults running things he very well might have been a Jet right now.

I hope Pryor turns out to be ok but with a chronically QB needy team and a prospect like Teddy on the board it's just one more frustration to have to deal with.  This year I would have gone with Grayson in the 3rd but I'm not complaining about Petty.  

The Cardinals drafted Deone Buccannon and started Ryan Lindley in a playoff game.

I guess you didn't watch the pre season games before McDougle got hurt because he looked pretty good, Pryor also looked decent before Milliner and McDougle got hurt before the season started, Amaro had one of the highest reception per target ratios in the NFL last season. Aside from that Idzik drafted depth for our OL and lets not forget a defensive rookie of the year in Sheldon Richardson who a lot of people were upset about because we didn't draft a WR with that pick. As for the other comment about missing on Martavis Bryant I honestly don't think he missed as much as he didn't want to draft a player who had known character issues, I mean why not talk down Macc for passing on Green-Beckham if that is the case.

I understand your point regarding Pryor, that his skill set requires better corner play, but to gauge his ability on pre-season performance is only a notch above worthless. A truly good safety would have shown at least SOMETHING in the regular season.

As for Sheldon, I find it difficult to give much credit to Idziot: First, if he was truly enamored with him, he would have taken him instead of Dee at #9. It felt as though he got cute and went against logic and scheme fit while "lucking" into the pick by accident. Especially when you consider his track record of drafting after two years.

"Passing on Martavis" due to character issues is pure crap. Idziot took a few guys in the draft with character flags last year. Look it up yourself...

Idziot effed up on Martavis in historical Jet draft blunders fashoin.

I think Pryor is much better than you guys give him credit for and he will be a solid NFL safety. It's not going to make any of you happy though.

When he turns out to be good, they'll all say they're perfectly okay with being wrong. It's the usual chest-puffing, idiot prognostication based on nothing that has a fifty-fifty chance of being right even if you're a drooling monkey. Welcome to the internet.

• 2 weeks later...

Pryor : 'More Focused than Ever'

Jets 2nd-Year Safety Spending a Lot of Time in the Classroom

video..

> http://www.newyorkjets.com/videos/videos/Pryor-More-Focused-than-Ever/1d2bd8f8-6c83-404a-8f57-b6de49632985

That's encouraging, he needs to study because the football instincts he showed were terrible. Extra film room work is a vast improvement over being late for meetings.

• 2 weeks later...

That's encouraging, he needs to study because the football instincts he showed were terrible. Extra film room work is a vast improvement over being late for meetings.

for a fs.. yup :winking0001:

Just about all pre-season media stories on teams are encouraging. That's kind of the point. Pryor, at this point, has shown himself to be an azzclown thus far - and that's not unforgivable for a rookie. He'll get his chance to show he wasn't a bust, but articles saying he's working harder don't mean beans. There were rave articles about him last year at this time too. 

Just about all pre-season media stories on teams are encouraging. That's kind of the point. Pryor, at this point, has shown himself to be an azzclown thus far - and that's not unforgivable for a rookie. He'll get his chance to show he wasn't a bust, but articles saying he's working harder don't mean beans. There were rave articles about him last year at this time too.

There will always be a fluff article as long as there is a month in the off season where nothing happens.

As the Jets get close to training camp, I am going to examine the roster and give you my top 25 players. Each weekday, we will reveal another person on the list, leading right into camp. I am not including rookies on this list because I do not feel it is possible to fully evaluate them before they play a game.

No. 16: Calvin Pryor

Last year’s ranking: Unranked (rookie)

Position: Safety

How acquired: Selected in the first round of the 2014 Draft

Years left on contract: 3

2015 Salary Cap figure: $1.9 million

Looking back at 2014: It was a rocky rookie season for Pryor, who was asked to play out of position for most of the season.Pryor, a strong safety in college, was forced to play a ton of free safety because the Jets had a bunch of strong safeties and no free safeties. That led to struggles for Pryor, but the season was not as bad as some have made it out to be. Pryor showed flashes of the big-hit ability that made him a first-round pick out of Louisville. He also finished the season strong.Pryor was benched for three games in the middle of the season, partially because of his play and partially because he was habitually late. But he rebounded from the benching to start the final four games of the season, and he played pretty well.Pro Football Focus ranked Pryor 29th out of 87 safeties whom they graded. The biggest knock on Pryor is he did not make any impact plays. He failed to get an interception (dropping one in the season opener) and had just half a sack. The biggest hit he delivered was on teammate David Harris, injuring the inside linebacker.According to PFF, quarterbacks had a 121.1 rating and completed 78.9 percent of their passes when throwing in Pryor’s direction.Pryor’s rookie season did not go the way he hoped, but he showed some positives that gave you reason to believe he will develop into a good player.

Outlook for 2015: The arrival of Marcus Gilchrist means Pryor can move back into the strong safety role he was comfortable in at Louisville.New coach Todd Bowles loves to get creative with defensive backs, so it is possible Pryor will be used in a variety of ways — from covering tight ends to blitzing more and just being around the football more than he was last year.Accountability has been a big topic around the Jets this spring, and Pryor was one of the primary culprits last year with his inability to be on time for meetings and weight-lifting sessions. Rex Ryan benched Pryor in November, tiring of his act. Bowles probably won’t have as much patience.The Darrelle Revis signing has gotten a lot of praise for what Revis’ presence can mean on the field, but the Jets also hope he can have a huge effect in the locker room with young players such as Pryor. Revis is a tireless worker who takes football seriously. The Jets need that to rub off on Pryor.

>   http://nypost.com/2015/07/07/why-darrelle-revis-may-hold-key-to-calvin-pryors-breakout/

Today's question : One of the New England Patriots' best assets is a talented tight end depth chart. How are teams equipped to match up ?

~ ~ Rich Cimini, New York Jets :

This is a major issue for the Jets. In recent years, their tight end coverage was below average, and that's being kind. In fact, they allowed a league-high 14 touchdowns to tight ends in 2014. They signed Marcus Gilchrist, formerly of the Chargers, but I don't think that solves the problem. Yes, he has man-to-man coverage skills, but he hasn't had a ton of experience with tight ends. Some of the responsibility will fall to Calvin Pryor, who will play more strong safety (his natural position) than last year. Thing is, Pryor is a hammer, not a skilled coverage player. He's only 5-foot-11 and could get eaten alive by Rob Gronkowski, who has a seven-inch height advantage. Coach Todd Bowles, known for a creative defensive mind, will have to cook up something schematically to deal with Gronk & Co. It could mean playing more zone coverage or getting one of their talented corners involved in the tight end coverage.

rest of above article :

> http://espn.go.com/blog/new-england-patriots/post/_/id/4782277/afc-east-qa-can-rivals-contain-patriots-tight-ends

Archived