Dee Milliner Feels Good, But Does He Have a Job?

flgreen

Jets CB Dee Milliner feels good, but does he have a job?

26m

Kieran Darcy, ESPN Staff Writer

FLORHAM PARK, N.J. -- Antonio Cromartie was joking ... we think.

Fellow New York Jets cornerback Dee Milliner was standing at his locker Tuesday afternoon, about to speak with the media for the first time this offseason, when Cromartie grabbed one of the reporters' microphones to ask Milliner a question or two.

New York Jets cornerback Dee Milliner will have to compete for playing time in a suddenly crowded Jets defensive backfield. AP Photo/Bill Kostroun

"There’s a lot of talk concerning that you’re on the roster bubble," Cromartie said, before asking Milliner a question about his confidence.

Milliner was a good sport and played along, leading to laughter all around. But the truth is, Milliner's roster spot may not be set in stone.

The Jets are unlikely to cut him, given he was the No. 9 overall pick in the 2013 draft and still has two years and $3.7 million guaranteed on his contract. But Milliner had a disappointing rookie season in 2013 and played in just three games last season due to injury.

New Jets GM Mike Maccagnan signed former All-Pros Darrelle Revis and Cromartie in the offseason and added Buster Skrine to the mix as well. Milliner has plummeted down the depth chart but said he isn't upset the Jets restocked at his position.

"It’s the NFL, it’s a business," Milliner said. "They went out and got some great quality guys.

"I’m good with it. They’re on the same team I’m on, so all of us will be out there together and make things happen."

Milliner may not be nearly as important to the Jets in 2015, but he is making progress, health-wise, in his recovery from a torn Achilles tendon, which ended his 2014 season prematurely. He didn't participate in full team drills Tuesday but said he feels great and should be 100 percent by the start of training camp in late July.

And he said he's not worried about his role on the team.

"You just gotta compete," Milliner said. "Go out there and do your job, be responsible, be accountable for what you can control, what you can do."

And Milliner better be ready to compete. Because the Jets suddenly look loaded at cornerback, and not just because of Revis and Cromartie. Second-year man Dexter McDougle made a nice interception during Tuesday's practice.

Milliner, the former top-10 pick, can take nothing for granted any more.

Unless they really stink up the joint or do something really boneheaded off field there is NO WAY either Milliner or McDougle should ever have to fear for their spots. The cost/benefit of keeping them on the team makes it a no brainer. And even if they get hurt put them or IR or something but let them remain on the team atleast till their rookie contracts expire before making a decision. Period,

Listen, Cro is the Vet leader and Millier or lil Mac will be playing the other side of Revis the majority of the season. Love Cro but the young bucks will pass him this year if they can stay healthy.

Even Revis wasn't the same guy the year after his ACL, and I can't think of any CB who's ever come back from an Achilles injury. Signing Cro was smart, even if it turns out to be just a one year deal. Ideally, McDougle would break into the starting line-up by the end of the year, but it's no lock.

Even Revis wasn't the same guy the year after his ACL, and I can't think of any CB who's ever come back from an Achilles injury. Signing Cro was smart, even if it turns out to be just a one year deal. Ideally, McDougle would break into the starting line-up by the end of the year, but it's no lock.

I see this as the more likely/hopeful scenario as well.  Oddly, the problem for us may come if either McDougle or Milliner play well enough in the next year or two that it would normally warrant a 2nd contract.  Does the front office take the position that either of them would be durable enough for such a deal given their respective histories?  Maybe I am getting ahead of myself here.  If that circumstance comes about then it will be the result of seeing good CB play from one or both of them in real games and that puts ahead of where we are currently.

When Dee Money is making Pro Bowls, it is then that Idzik's genius will be recognized, and his haters will be silenced.

I think a few of Idzik's picks could still work out and obviously I hope they do.  I just hated the fact that he had a borderline playoff roster at 8-8 and did close to nothing to get them to take that next step.  Decker, CJ and Patterson weren't going to propel them into the playoffs and even he should have realized that. 

I think a few of Idzik's picks could still work out and obviously I hope they do.  I just hated the fact that he had a borderline playoff roster at 8-8 and did close to nothing to get them to take that next step.  Decker, CJ and Patterson weren't going to propel them into the playoffs and even he should have realized that.

But on the other hand if he had gone out & spent Rex & Idzik would probably still be here & Rogers Cromarty would be sucking off the teet of our salary cap right now instead of Revis.

Any questions? Lol.

But on the other hand if he had gone out & spent Rex & Idzik would probably still be here & Rogers Cromarty would be sucking off the teet of our salary cap right now instead of Revis.

Any questions? Lol.

No need for DRC if he'd have gone hard after Revis and kept Cro around.

I think a few of Idzik's picks could still work out and obviously I hope they do. I just hated the fact that he had a borderline playoff roster at 8-8 and did close to nothing to get them to take that next step. Decker, CJ and Patterson weren't going to propel them into the playoffs and even he should have realized that.

8-8 was fools gold, though. What player was out there that would propel them over the top?

People keep acting like the Achilles is a death sentence, but it is not.  Leon Hall has blown out both his Achilles and gotten a huge contract and played at a high level.  Brent Grimes tore his while on the franchise tag and he came back to pro bowl form.  I am sure there are others, but the idea that CB's can't come back from this injury is way off base.  Every injury is different, but I have not heard anything that would make me think Milliner wouldn't come back.

No need for DRC if he'd have gone hard after Revis and kept Cro around.

No need for DRC if he'd have gone hard after Revis OR kept Cro around.

Brent Grimes?

People keep acting like the Achilles is a death sentence, but it is not. Leon Hall has blown out both his Achilles and gotten a huge contract and played at a high level. Brent Grimes tore his while on the franchise tag and he came back to pro bowl form. I am sure there are others, but the idea that CB's can't come back from this injury is way off base. Every injury is different, but I have not heard anything that would make me think Milliner wouldn't come back.

No need for DRC if he'd have gone hard after Revis OR kept Cro around.

Are we talking about the same Antonio Cromartie here? The one who was ranked 150th out of 155?

Are we talking about the same Antonio Cromartie here? The one who was ranked 150th out of 155?

Absolutely.  If the Jets had adequate replacements then letting him go would have been fine.  However, knowing that he'd played hurt that season and was going to be signed for a fraction of his actual worth if healthy, the Jets should have made him an offer after he'd been on the market for a little bit or just re-worked his deal w/o letting him go at all.

8-8 was fools gold, though. What player was out there that would propel them over the top?

Revis and Cro would have made a huge difference and I'm glad Maccagnan recognized that and got them back.  I still can't believe they were within a TD of some of the best QB's in the NFL w/o elite or even above average CBs.

Like I said, I'm glad Mac got it right and is treating the position as if it means something.

Absolutely. If the Jets had adequate replacements then letting him go would have been fine. However, knowing that he'd played hurt that season and was going to be signed for a fraction of his actual worth if healthy, the Jets should have made him an offer after he'd been on the market for a little bit or just re-worked his deal w/o letting him go at all.

Revisionism to extremes here, pal. Cro looked 100% shot. They had Milliner and drafted McDougle. Patterson was the transition backup guy. Sucks that they fell on their face, but to act like signing Cro was the obvious option is hindsight.

Revisionism to extremes here, pal. Cro looked 100% shot. They had Milliner and drafted McDougle. Patterson was the transition backup guy. Sucks that they fell on their face, but to act like signing Cro was the obvious option is hindsight.

I don't remember anyone saying McDougle was going to start over Patterson.  He was behind Patterson in camp and was eventually gaining ground which is fine, but having an unproven second-year CB, a guy who had never played a down in the NFL and was coming off an injury, and Patterson who some viewed as a 4th/5th CB is far from justification for not rolling the dice by spending $2 mil on Cromartie while sitting on over $20 mil in cap space.

I don't remember anyone saying McDougle was going to start over Patterson. He was behind Patterson in camp and was eventually gaining ground which is fine, but having an unproven second-year CB, a guy who had never played a down in the NFL and was coming off an injury, and Patterson who some viewed as a 4th/5th CB is far from justification for not rolling the dice by spending $2 mil on Cromartie while sitting on over $20 mil in cap space.

The same Cro who wandered the streets looking for a job and only got a one-year offer from the Cardinals? This was the difference-making guy? Also, if you read Collision Low Crossers, it didn't seem like Rex wanted Cro anyway, and that was in 2011 when Cro could still run.

The Jets needed two corners for 2014, but I could see banking on Milliner for one.  Deciding that Patterson and McDougle were going to solve the problem was pretty risky.  Bowles and Mccagnan showed you what they thought of that philosophy when they loaded up with bodies.  They signed Curtis Brown as an afterthought and he was the kind of guy Idzik seemed to count on. 

FWIW, I read a bleacher report (I know, I know) thing yesterday rating the top 100 CBs going into 2013 and Patterson was 48, mid-season pickup Josh Thomas 64 and Kyle Wilson 63.  Together with Milliner and McDougle, bleacher report might have thought that was enough.  Of course, Cro was 11 and DRC 21. 

As far as McDougle and Milliner are concerned, you're damn right they should have been expected to start. That's how the league world--your draft picks have to play major roles. We forget about this because of Tannenbaum and Rex, but you can't pad every defensive position with an overpriced vet.

The Jets needed two corners for 2014, but I could see banking on Milliner for one. Deciding that Patterson and McDougle were going to solve the problem was pretty risky. Bowles and Mccagnan showed you what they thought of that philosophy when they loaded up with bodies. They signed Curtis Brown as an afterthought and he was the kind of guy Idzik seemed to count on.

FWIW, I read a bleacher report (I know, I know) thing yesterday rating the top 100 CBs going into 2013 and Patterson was 48, mid-season pickup Josh Thomas 64 and Kyle Wilson 63. Together with Milliner and McDougle, bleacher report might have thought that was enough. Of course, Cro was 11 and DRC 21.

Risky, sure, but that's generally how the far majority of the league operates.

The same Cro who wandered the streets looking for a job and only got a one-year offer from the Cardinals? This was the difference-making guy? Also, if you read Collision Low Crossers, it didn't seem like Rex wanted Cro anyway, and that was in 2011 when Cro could still run.

Yep...our opinions may differ, but mine is that Cro was worth the $2 million gamble based on what else was on the roster and the cap space available.  As it turns out, that would have been the right move.

Yep...our opinions may differ, but mine is that Cro was worth the $2 million gamble based on what else was on the roster and the cap space available. As it turns out, that would have been the right move.

If you recall, Cro wasn't taking $2 mil to sign here. He wanted a longer term deal. He settled for $2 mil when he found out nobody else wanted him either.

As far as McDougle and Milliner are concerned, you're damn right they should have been expected to start. That's how the league world--your draft picks have to play major roles. We forget about this because of Tannenbaum and Rex, but you can't pad every defensive position with an overpriced vet.

Of course I'd expect him to start at some point as a third-round pick, but to have him penciled in at your no. 2 from day one despite injuries and inexperience isn't the best approach IMO.

If you recall, Cro wasn't taking $2 mil to sign here. He wanted a longer term deal. He settled for $2 mil when he found out nobody else wanted him either.

Exactly...so at the very least, the Jets could have said "we'd like to have you back, give us a call before you sign with anyone and we'll see if we can beat it".  Give him 100K more than what he was being offered and he would have come back.

Cromartie was difficult to coach. That should not have bothered Rex.  He did not coach guys anyway.  He was more of a camp counselor.  

Archived