Is Ken Stabler Dead...or Alive?

JetCane

Reports of Stabler death uncomfirmed

By Vic Tafur

Updated 3:44 pm, Thursday, July 9, 2015

The Internet kills Kenny – Raiders’ http://kron4.com/2015/07/09/the-internet-kills-kenny-kenny-stabler-that-is/

Kenny Stabler

The Internet killed former Oakland Raiders star quarterback Kenny Stabler Thursday afternoon following unconfirmed rumors that he had passed away. He was 69.

Er, is 69.

Calls and emails to the Raiders front office requesting a comment about his existence have not been answered at this time.

The Tuscaloosa News reporter Aaron Suttles posted Stabler’s obituary on the paper’s website at about 4 p.m.

Former University of Alabama quarterback and Oakland Raiders great Kenny Stabler has passed away at the age of 69, The Tuscaloosa News has learned.

Hours later, the article page was replaced with this copy:

Preparing to report on an unconfirmed but wide and persistent rumor that former Alabama football player Kenny Stabler had died, tuscaloosanews.com inadvertently and briefly published an incomplete story that we were preparing in the event that the story was confirmed. At this time, it is not confirmed. Unfortunately, other news outlets used social media to share the report. We regret the error and any emotional distress caused to Stabler’s family, friends and fans

The Tide 99.1 picked up the story and declared Stabler deceased.

In that span, the KRON 4 newsroom was working feverishly to confirm reports of Stabler’s death.  (Turns out all of our sources close to Stabler couldn’t comment because — well, he isn’t dead.)

Reports and condolences of his passing quickly went viral on social media.  Sports writers, celebs, and fans helped make “The Snake”  become a trending topic on Twitter.

Nicknamed “The Snake,” Stabler was drafted out of the University of Alabama in the second round of the 1968 NFL Draft by the Oakland Raiders.

He played 10 stellar seasons for the Silver and Black, and won a Super Bowl with then head coach John Madden in 1977 — the Raiders first NFL title. He would go on to become a four-time Pro Bowl selection

The plot thickens:

July 9 (Reuters) - Ken Stabler, a star NFL quarterback who led the Oakland Raiders to a Super Bowl championship in 1977, has died at age 69, WPMI television in Alabama reported on Thursday.

Stabler, who was nicknamed "The Snake," died in Gulfport, Mississippi, the television channel said, citing the president of the Kenny Stabler Foundation.

Reuters could not immediately confirm the reports.

The plot thickens:

July 9 (Reuters) - Ken Stabler, a star NFL quarterback who led the Oakland Raiders to a Super Bowl championship in 1977, has died at age 69, WPMI television in Alabama reported on Thursday.

Stabler, who was nicknamed "The Snake," died in Gulfport, Mississippi, the television channel said, citing the president of the Kenny Stabler Foundation.

Reuters could not immediately confirm the reports.

Gulfport is about 45 minutes from me. Wow....

If you are an Older NFL fan you have to love you some Kenny Stabler.

Mr. Stabler thank you for your effort, you made me enjoy the game of football a little more...  

Peace in your transition...

too bad the NFL had a hard on for Al Davis and the Raiders - Ken Stabler not being in the HOF is a freakin' sin.

I wanted to put a link so those of you don't know now you know..

Check out the last pass of the video.....

Never got a chance to watch him as he retired when I was 5.

That ball just flew out of his hand. Almost has a 3/4 motion or something going on there.

He was great, but the Raiders were the villians of the AFL, so you either hated him or loved him. They had Darryl Lamonica playing qb too; I think Kenny replaced him when Lamonica got hurt. They threw to Warren Wells and Fred Belitnokof, what a tandem. He was a crafty lefty snake. Big rivals with KC Chiefs, where Len Dawson was throwng to Otis Tayor and Frank Pitts. Those were the days when men were men, and the players remained on the same team, so you actually had genuine rivalries. 

One of the great QB's of my youth... used to LOVE watching him play ... one of the great clutch QB's of all time.

With all due respect to Boomer & Young, Stabler was the best lefty I ever saw play.

Absolutely should be in the Hall of Fame.

RIP, Snake.

One of the greatest games I ever saw in 1977 playoffs the raiders and snake against the Rustin rifle Bert jones and the Baltimore Colts. 37-31 in ot. Snake was unconscious in that game.

Archived