Harrison: 'Freakish' Williams 'quick' to pick up Jets' D

BurnleyJet

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000502447/article/harrison-freakish-williams-quick-to-pick-up-jets-d

Harrison: 'Freakish' Williams 'quick' to pick up Jets' D

The New York Jets will spend the first four games of the season without the services of suspended Pro Bowl defensive end Sheldon Richardson, a loss that magnifies the role of rookie lineman Leonard Williams.

The sixth-overall pick is now tasked with making an immediate contribution alongside fellow end Muhammad Wilkerson and big-bodied nose tackle Damon Harrison. So far, so good.

After Jets coach Todd Bowles praised Williams' maturity -- "He doesn't carry himself like a young 20-year-old," Bowles said in May -- Harrison went out of his way this week to gush over the former USC star.

"Damn good guy, heck of an athlete, freakish athlete," Harrison said of Williams on Thursday, per NJ.com. "He picked up on what we've installed. He picked up on that pretty quick, so it's allowed him to play faster than what other rookies have been doing. That's a credit to him, man, because it's not easy to learn an NFL defense.

"And he communicates with us. He talks. That's one thing you don't find in a lot of rookies. They're quiet and they're just trying to learn. He talks. He wants to know: 'OK, what are you doing on this play?' He's trying to make sure he knows what you're doing, so that he can adjust his game to that."

Jets linebacker David Harris acknowledged after the draft that the Williams selection "caught a lot of people by surprise," but added that he "loved" the pick. We wager Jets fans will, too. It's stunning that Williams was still hanging around at No. 6, giving New York's already insane defensive front another berserker-type run-stuffer for opponents to deal with.

With Darrelle Revis back in Gotham to anchor a vastly upgraded secondary, the Jets don't offer many weaknesses on defense. Challengers can aim to pick up yards through the air against arguably the game's finest cornerback -- or attempt to run the ball against a green-colored brick wall. Good luck with that.

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Williams is going to be sick. I know a lot of people will disagree but I think Williams makes both Mo and Sheldon expendable to the point we can now trade both for future 1st round picks.

Both? Jeez, who else you want to trade? As Parcells would say, Lets not reserve that spot in Canton just yet. The kid hasn't even stepped on the field with pads on.

Sign Mo and Snacks, trade the blowhard pothead (who I love but he has the personality to not learn, even if the penalty for pot makes no sense anymore) and we would be set at DL for 5 years and might still get a 1 for Sheldon.

I love MO and Sheldon but if Williams becomes the player that I think he will, MO or Sheldon wont be here in two years,cant keep that many great players and pay them all and Sheldon sounds like he is just too stupid to change his pot habit

Williams is going to be sick. I know a lot of people will disagree but I think Williams makes both Mo and Sheldon expendable to the point we can now trade both for future 1st round picks.

Both? And turn our best unit into a area of need? Never heard of a great 3 man line getting better or staying as productive with only one of the 3 playing.

It's as if Jets fans are allergic to great players. The second we have some, everyone wants to trade them away.

Got to love the way we turn on them. Mo was a top DL until he tries to work out his contract. Then he shouldn't get paid like a top DL. My he he's greedy. Of course it's time to trade him because Sheldons better. Now Sheldon had a bad attitude, will be a problem, is stupid, self centered and has to be traded now,

Got to love the way we turn on them. Mo was a top DL until he tries to work out his contract. Then he shouldn't get paid like a top DL. My he he's greedy. Of course it's time to trade him because Sheldons better. Now Sheldon had a bad attitude, will be a problem, is stupid, self centered and has to be traded now,

Mo is a very good player but some fans were saying he should get slightly less then Watt.. Remember the Tuna saying you are what your record says you are?? Well when Mo makes a Pro Bowl he will be a Pro Bowler not before.. The Pot head made ROTH and the Pro Bowl in his first 2 years so if Mo is so great why did he not make it?? Maybe he should start smoking a bowl or 2 with Sheldon..LOL

I didn't follow this kid at all leading up to the draft.  I figured he was going #2 all along.  so after the jets drafted him my first reaction to seeing videos of him at the combine that i looked up was that he was "smallish"  and that he didn't seem to live up to his listed height and weight

then he walked bye some other d-lineman at the combine and I saw he dwarfed them and that my initial perception was off base

he is so well put together proportionally that he has the look of a TE or power forward, then you see he is a massive human

just think, a gem fell to us and the jets actually took him

nice

Both? And turn our best unit into a area of need? Never heard of a great 3 man line getting better or staying as productive with only one of the 3 playing.

the jets are in great position at the d-line. the brass holds all the cards. if the jets have shown us 1 thing in the past 5 years, its that they can obtain d-lineman. mo snacks, Richardson, Williams, douzable, and to some extent, coples. at the least, they can do without 1 of these guys. Williams being a rookie and richardsons pot habit cloud things a bit, but they still hold all the cards. the brass might not want to pay anyone on the d-line. they seem to find these beasts at will. I can see mo being traded, Richardson playing out his rookie contract and then either they trade him or let him walk for a comp pick. he is cheap enough where another suspension wont cripple the organization. all the while having a few years to find his replacement. why tie up 13m on 1 player on a position where the jets are deepest at? or 25m on 2 players where they have shown a knack for finding these guys? the brass might be thinking " spend the money on the positions that we stuggle to fulfill". that's a sign of a great front office plan. spend the big money on players that you cant live without and refresh with young players that you can find with ease. next man up. just some thoughts, is all

Mo is a very good player but some fans were saying he should get slightly less then Watt.. Remember the Tuna saying you are what your record says you are?? Well when Mo makes a Pro Bowl he will be a Pro Bowler not before.. The Pot head made ROTH and the Pro Bowl in his first 2 years so if Mo is so great why did he not make it?? Maybe he should start smoking a bowl or 2 with Sheldon..LOL

Pro Bowl is a popularity contest, isnt a real barometer of who is better or not.  Pretty much everyones contention is that Mo is a top lineman.  The louder you are, the more youre in the media, the better your chances.  Are we arguing that Mo isnt that good?  That he's not a top lineman?  As for how much he should be paid or more to the point, its fans who are saying he wants Watt like money, havent read one single comment from him saying he should be paid what Watt is being paid.

Back to my point, because none of this was, Jet fans had Mo as one of the best before his contract became a bigger issue.  Then it was get rid of his ass, Sheldon is better anyway.  

Now its onto get rid of both.  Just as fans did the same with Keyshawn, Abraham etc.  to follow form, if we traded Mo or Richardson they'll be hated and loved more than ever down the road

the jets are in great position at the d-line. the brass holds all the cards. if the jets have shown us 1 thing in the past 5 years, its that they can obtain d-lineman. mo snacks, Richardson, Williams, douzable, and to some extent, coples. at the least, they can do without 1 of these guys. Williams being a rookie and richardsons pot habit cloud things a bit, but they still hold all the cards. the brass might not want to pay anyone on the d-line. they seem to find these beasts at will. I can see mo being traded, Richardson playing out his rookie contract and then either they trade him or let him walk for a comp pick. he is cheap enough where another suspension wont cripple the organization. all the while having a few years to find his replacement. why tie up 13m on 1 player on a position where the jets are deepest at? or 25m on 2 players where they have shown a knack for finding these guys? the brass might be thinking " spend the money on the positions that we stuggle to fulfill". that's a sign of a great front office plan. spend the big money on players that you cant live without and refresh with young players that you can find with ease. next man up. just some thoughts, is all

Its silly to think because the line is a strength we can get rid of 66% of that line and not miss a beat.  All the rest is meaningless, the team would be weakened. 

The only way I'd trade the two of them is if it can get us a great QB. Otherwise, you do everything you can to keep them.

Pro Bowl is a popularity contest, isnt a real barometer of who is better or not.  Pretty much everyones contention is that Mo is a top lineman.  The louder you are, the more youre in the media, the better your chances.  Are we arguing that Mo isnt that good?  That hes not a top lineman?  

Then back to my point, because none of this was, Jet fans had Mo as one of the best before his contract became a bigger issue.  Then it was get rid of his ass, Sheldon is better anyway.  

Now its onto get rid of both.  Just as fans did the same with Keyshawn, Abraham etc.  to follow form, if we traded Mo or Richardson they'll be hated and loved more than ever down the road

Actually I want to keep everyone although I know with a cap that's not possible.. KJ became a bigger pain once he knew 1999 was the Tuna's last year as a HC so getting 2 1st rd picks for him was a no brainer.. It turned out Gruden hated his BS and kicked his butt off the Buc's.. I always liked Abe but your right about Jet fans turning on players,coaches and each other for that matter.. It's for some their only form of entertainment..  :winking0001:

Its silly to think because the line is a strength we can get rid of 66% of that line and not miss a beat

how so? 1 of the guys hasn't even played 1 down yet. if Williams can play and if the line was a strength last year without him, how is it weakened next year? to some extent, I can see, but it would still be a strength,no? plus Richardson isn't going anywhere for 3 or 4 more years unless he suspends himself

how so? 1 of the guys hasn't even played 1 down yet. if Williams can play and if the line was a strength last year without him, how is it weakened next year? to some extent, I can see, but it would still be a strength,no?

Because I know what the line is today. That's worth more than what the line might be like with Williams.

The line with Mo and Richardson is still better than without those two.

Because I know what the line is today. That's worth more than what the line might be like with Williams.

One thing that is troubling with Mo is he still has a problem with turf toe I hope that doesn't stay with him when the season starts..

Couple this with Jets fans habit to way overvalue poor Jet talent and you have a recipe for Madness!!!!

All fanbases overvalue their talent.  Its a Jet fanbase that takes it to another level by crapping on their talent.  

the line is basically the same as its been for 2 years and about to be 3 years. I like the fact that if Williams pans out, there are 3 potentially great players starting 2 positions, but it definitely isn't necessary. all im saying is why tie up 10's of millions of dollars on a position that you seem to have a knack for finding thru the draft? this is what the brass might be thinking. I think Williams is wilkersons replacement and will not see a new deal from the jets.

the line is basically the same as its been for 2 years and about to be 3 years. I like the fact that if Williams pans out, there are 3 potentially great players starting 2 positions, but it definitely isn't necessary. all im saying is why tie up 10's of millions of dollars on a position that you seem to have a knack for finding thru the draft? this is what the brass might be thinking. I think Williams is wilkersons replacement and will not see a new deal from the jets.

All Im saying is that you're counting your chickens before they've hatched.  You have no idea what Williams will be at this point.  I'm really optimistic about what he can be but lets see him on the field before trading two pro bowl level linemen.  He could be a beast or Dewayne Robertson at this point.  Even still, nothing wrong with a dominating DL to anchor your team.

who is crapping on their own talent?

I dont know, who is crapping on anyone?  

How about the one who thinks that the two best players on the DL can be easily replaced by an unproven, unseen draft pick?  

the decision is still to be made ... Snacks & only 2 of the other 3 will be back in 2016 ... If the other is part of improving our 2016 QB prospects I may have to break out some kneepads for Big Mac!

All Im saying is that you're counting your chickens before they've hatched.  You have no idea what Williams will be at this point.  I'm really optimistic about what he can be but lets see him on the field before trading two pro bowl level linemen.  He could be a beast or Dewayne Robertson at this point.  Even still, nothing wrong with a dominating DL to anchor your team.

if you read my posts, you would see that I am not counting my chickens. that is why mo is the starting de this year. the jets are in a wait and see approach on wilks contract and it really has nothing to do with mo. it has everything to do with Williams and to some extent,richardson. if the jets see Richardson attempt to clean up his act and if Williams can play, the only way I see wilks getting a contract from the jets is a really, really good team friendly deal. if not, he is off to another team. hey, I like mo and think he is a really good player and would hate to see him in another uniform, but the nfl is run just like any other bussiness

Both? Jeez, who else you want to trade? As Parcells would say, Lets not reserve that spot in Canton just yet. The kid hasn't even stepped on the field with pads on.

I'd rather have two new 1st td picks than $175 million tied up in to two players we don't actually need.

if you read my posts, you would see that I am not counting my chickens. that is why mo is the starting de this year. the jets are in a wait and see approach on wilks contract and it really has nothing to do with mo. it has everything to do with Williams and to some extent,richardson. if the jets see Richardson attempt to clean up his act and if Williams can play, the only way I see wilks getting a contract from the jets is a really, really good team friendly deal. if not, he is off to another team. hey, I like mo and think he is a really good player and would hate to see him in another uniform, but the nfl is run just like any other bussiness

I wish we would get to the point where we have too many really good players at any position.

Archived