Harrison: 'Freakish' Williams 'quick' to pick up Jets' D

BurnleyJet

Can he play one down before we trade away proven vets.

Why wait? The Jets have proven for 5+ decades that we never miss when it comes to evaluating talent at the draft, no?

I think, let's play out a season where we might possibly have ridiculous talent at DL, and see where we are. Great position to be loaded at IMO, those big fellas get tired out there.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Why wait? The Jets have proven for 5+ decades that we never miss when it comes to evaluating talent at the draft, no?

I think, let's play out a season where we might possibly have ridiculous talent at DL, and see where we are. Great position to be loaded at IMO, those big fellas get tired out there.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

Exactly...if this unit dominates as expected, you make every effort to keep all of 'em.

I'd rather have two new 1st td picks than $175 million tied up in to two players we don't actually need.

Youre smoking crack if you think they are going to get $175M between mo and Sheldon. Plus you can always trade the players after you sign them if you need to... NO got a first round pick plus a starting C for graham even with that monster contract on the books. Talent always will have value so calm down, nobody needs to be traded this second

if the jets have shown us 1 thing in the past 5 years, its that they can obtain d-lineman. mo snacks, Richardson, Williams, douzable, and to some extent, coples.

Every single one of those players was acquired by a previous front office and developed by a previous coaching staff.

Pro Bowl is a popularity contest, isnt a real barometer of who is better or not.  Pretty much everyones contention is that Mo is a top lineman.  The louder you are, the more youre in the media, the better your chances.  Are we arguing that Mo isnt that good?  That he's not a top lineman?  As for how much he should be paid or more to the point, its fans who are saying he wants Watt like money, havent read one single comment from him saying he should be paid what Watt is being paid.

Back to my point, because none of this was, Jet fans had Mo as one of the best before his contract became a bigger issue.  Then it was get rid of his ass, Sheldon is better anyway.  

Now its onto get rid of both.  Just as fans did the same with Keyshawn, Abraham etc.  to follow form, if we traded Mo or Richardson they'll be hated and loved more than ever down the road

LOL oh GIVE ME A BREAK!!!!

You are seriously insinuating that JET FANS ran Keyshawn and Abraham out of town? Unbelievable!

You are seriously insinuating that JET FANS ran Keyshawn and Abraham out of town? Unbelievable!

LOL complete bullsh*t.

Unbelievable? No, just the way it was. Ask an elder

Youre smoking crack if you think they are going to get $175M between mo and Sheldon. Plus you can always trade the players after you sign them if you need to... NO got a first round pick plus a starting C for graham even with that monster contract on the books. Talent always will have value so calm down, nobody needs to be traded this second

No they should be traded because they are about to become problem child albatrosses and we already have a top 5 D-line even without them playing.

Keyshawn ran himself out of town. Mangini ran Abe out of town because he wanted a Girl Scout troop not a football team.

the jets are in great position at the d-line. the brass holds all the cards. if the jets have shown us 1 thing in the past 5 years, its that they can obtain d-lineman. mo snacks, Richardson, Williams, douzable, and to some extent, coples. at the least, they can do without 1 of these guys. Williams being a rookie and richardsons pot habit cloud things a bit, but they still hold all the cards. the brass might not want to pay anyone on the d-line. they seem to find these beasts at will. I can see mo being traded, Richardson playing out his rookie contract and then either they trade him or let him walk for a comp pick. he is cheap enough where another suspension wont cripple the organization. all the while having a few years to find his replacement. why tie up 13m on 1 player on a position where the jets are deepest at? or 25m on 2 players where they have shown a knack for finding these guys? the brass might be thinking " spend the money on the positions that we stuggle to fulfill". that's a sign of a great front office plan. spend the big money on players that you cant live without and refresh with young players that you can find with ease. next man up. just some thoughts, is all

Williams falling into their laps is hardly a continuation of the previous regime's ability to collect and develop talent on the DL.

It's hard to imagine the Jets not trading either Mo or Sheldon at some point, though. On talent alone, Wilkerson is the one I'd move. Mo is a rock solid player and solid citizen, but Richardson is a devastating, destructive force. If either player is gonna be a J.J. Watt, it's Sheldon. With the Jets dragging their feet on Wilkerson's contract, I have to believe they're thinking along the same lines. The weed suspension is new information for the fans, but his weed use is not new information to the organization. Remember, he had to fail three previous tests before they issued the suspension - so they were not doing Wilkerson's contract knowing that Richardson had already failed three times!

And one of them was likely to eventually be traded before teams inexplicably passed on Williams, allowing him to drop to the Jets. That just made the inevitable that much easier.

the jets are in great position at the d-line. the brass holds all the cards. if the jets have shown us 1 thing in the past 5 years, its that they can obtain d-lineman. mo snacks, Richardson, Williams, douzable, and to some extent, coples. at the least, they can do without 1 of these guys. Williams being a rookie and richardsons pot habit cloud things a bit, but they still hold all the cards. the brass might not want to pay anyone on the d-line. they seem to find these beasts at will. I can see mo being traded, Richardson playing out his rookie contract and then either they trade him or let him walk for a comp pick. he is cheap enough where another suspension wont cripple the organization. all the while having a few years to find his replacement. why tie up 13m on 1 player on a position where the jets are deepest at? or 25m on 2 players where they have shown a knack for finding these guys? the brass might be thinking " spend the money on the positions that we stuggle to fulfill". that's a sign of a great front office plan. spend the big money on players that you cant live without and refresh with young players that you can find with ease. next man up. just some thoughts, is all

This is why I think they're doing what they're doing. They could lock up Mo now. They could have locked him up last year as well. But why? I get (and agree) that we can't count Williams as being as advertised until he's shown it on an NFL field. But it's no different looking at it in the opposite direction. If we already lock up Mo, and have Richardson deserving of every non-suspended minute play, then we're cutting the balls off Williams without giving him a real try. He'd be the odd man out just like Coples was, and I don't want to see another DE/DT moved to OLB because of a numbers game at the position. All of them can't be on the field on all downs when they should be. 

Well none of them are getting cut, so the only alternative left is to keep them on 1 year deals while the money makes sense. Not what the player wants (and I don't blame him for being unhappy about it), but this is one of those "good problems" to have. 

I think they're handling it properly, but we won't really know until we have the benefit of hindsight (when we're all geniuses and those who acted without this benefit are stupid clods). 

Keyshawn ran himself out of town. Mangini ran Abe out of town because he wanted a Girl Scout troop not a football team.

Nobody said they were run out of town but everyone wanted them out.  People complained about just about everything with Key and complained that Abe was soft after sitting out too many games.  Both were said to not be worth what they were asking for.  Fans turned on them 

Nobody said they were run out of town but everyone wanted them out. People complained about just about everything with Key and complained that Abe was soft after sitting out too many games. Both were said to not be worth what they were asking for. Fans turned on them

I don't recall anyone turning on Keyshawn while he was a jet it was Keyshawn who turned on us after he was traded to Tampa.

People complained about Abe but Tangini traded him because they felt he wasn't worth the money he was asking for and Mangini was all about the Patriot Way. Fans had zero say in the move.

I don't recall anyone turning on Keyshawn while he was a jet it was Keyshawn who turned on us after he was traded to Tampa.

People complained about Abe but Tangini traded him because they felt he wasn't worth the money he was asking for and Mangini was all about the Patriot Way. Fans had zero say in the move.

Key was still pissed from his first contract when he had no leverage and the Jets did a number on him.  He was mouthing off that he would get his, etc and the Jets dumped him to avoid the headache.  While it all unfolded the fans turned on him.  Just as the WFAN and internet pages were full of get rid of Abe he's too soft, doesnt care, etc sentiment.  

No they should be traded because they are about to become problem child albatrosses and we already have a top 5 D-line even without them playing.

Top 5 without mo and Sheldon? No way-- maybe if Williams pans out Mo could become expendable but trading both would definitely make the DL weaker

Top 5 without mo and Sheldon? No way-- maybe if Williams pans out Mo could become expendable but trading both would definitely make the DL weaker

unless a team makes a stupid offer, Richardson isn't going anywhere. he is too cheap. the jets easily control his contract for the next 3 years. then the franchise tag for 1 or 2 more(essentially 1 year deals as sperm has noted) with his recent suspension, that really hurts his trade value. by all accounts, Richardson is well liked in the locker room. so he is not a cancer. his issues are his suspensions for pot smoke. I think the front office will gamble on Richardson to stay clean, at least while they control his rookie contract. things could change if he picks up another suspension.if he doesn't this year and it turns out that Williams can play, I think you can expect mo to be playing elsewhere next year. I agree. to lose Richardson and mo would change the d-line, but I don't think its going to happen

Why would we trade both Mo and Sheldon? WHY? Maybe trade one if we need the ammo to move up and get a QB next year, but besides that scenario, we should try and keep our good players not trade them away. 

Right now we wouldn't. But the reason would be to strengthen areas of weakness while still staying strong at an area of strength. The reality is all of these guys can't be on the field all the time even when they're all healthy (and not suspended).

I think there's a good chance they were going to extend Mo but wanted to at least wait until after the draft to see what happened, both in terms of who was available to us and in what offers were made to us. When Williams was available for us at #6 (and none of the fielded offers to move up to #6 were compelling enough) it probably changed everything regarding Mo. Just like Richardson's suspension may have changed things back again in Mo's favor. At the same time, the team gets an unexpected look at Williams in game action for the first 4 games. 

Sometimes if you just stay the course the decision gets made for you, and prevents making a decision too soon that one later regrets. 

They're playing it right. What if yet another young guy comes on unexpectedly, or injuries cause Coples to slide back to the line again? And if we then figured we're still left with 2 premiere DEs for our 3-man line without either Mo or Sheldon, AND could get the type of draft picks (or players) a team just can't turn its back on? Nothing comes to mind right now, and right now I couldn't see trading (or in some way failing/declining to bring back) both of them, but situations can sometimes change in unexpected ways.

unless a team makes a stupid offer, Richardson isn't going anywhere. he is too cheap. the jets easily control his contract for the next 3 years. then the franchise tag for 1 or 2 more(essentially 1 year deals as sperm has noted) with his recent suspension, that really hurts his trade value. by all accounts, Richardson is well liked in the locker room. so he is not a cancer. his issues are his suspensions for pot smoke. I think the front office will gamble on Richardson to stay clean, at least while they control his rookie contract. things could change if he picks up another suspension.if he doesn't this year and it turns out that Williams can play, I think you can expect mo to be playing elsewhere next year. I agree. to lose Richardson and mo would change the d-line, but I don't think its going to happen

The four game suspension is very troublesome because it means he has already been caught several times and could not make himself stop.  There is definitely a Josh Gordon type of risk here.  Next one is a full year, I think.

The four game suspension is very troublesome because it means he has already been caught several times and could not make himself stop.  There is definitely a Josh Gordon type of risk here.  Next one is a full year, I think.

Believe 10 games ... But still s*cks

Key was still pissed from his first contract when he had no leverage and the Jets did a number on him.  He was mouthing off that he would get his, etc and the Jets dumped him to avoid the headache.  While it all unfolded the fans turned on him.  Just as the WFAN and internet pages were full of get rid of Abe he's too soft, doesnt care, etc sentiment.  

This 100%

Jets fans are some of the quickest in the league IMO to turn on their own players.  It is what it is...

The main reason signing Mo will be a top priority a few players will restructure and a few players will be cut.

Mo is a very good player but some fans were saying he should get slightly less then Watt.. Remember the Tuna saying you are what your record says you are?? Well when Mo makes a Pro Bowl he will be a Pro Bowler not before.. The Pot head made ROTH and the Pro Bowl in his first 2 years so if Mo is so great why did he not make it?? Maybe he should start smoking a bowl or 2 with Sheldon..LOL

The voice of reason.

I am so excited to read this. Also, If Williams lives up to the billing, Sheldon may not see the field here past 2015 and it'll be one of the most incredible turns of events on this squad in recent memory. I mean it's a huge jump to conclusion this early but if we could replace Sheldon with Williams, resign Mo, and trade Sheldon for a beast offensive player or a prime first rounder...I would so much rather trade off that slight difference in production from Mo vs Sheldon to have a mature, solid young defense. ...it's just more luck than I think this club is capable of to be honest.

This 100%

Jets fans are some of the quickest in the league IMO to turn on their own players.  It is what it is...

IIRC the issue with Key was that he wanted to re-do his deal with two years left on it because his good buddy Joey Galloway got big money from the Seahawks and he wanted a similar deal.  The Jets policy was that they didn't do new deals with multiple years remaining on the current one so they sent him packing.

Key was still pissed from his first contract when he had no leverage and the Jets did a number on him. He was mouthing off that he would get his, etc and the Jets dumped him to avoid the headache. While it all unfolded the fans turned on him. Just as the WFAN and internet pages were full of get rid of Abe he's too soft, doesnt care, etc sentiment.

There barely was an Internet in 1999 let alone fan pages that Keyshawn Johnson would even know of. It's ridiculous to say fans "ran Keyshawn out of town." Parcels felt he wasn't worth the money and made a margin call to get picks instead it happens everywhere all the time.

IIRC the issue with Key was that he wanted to re-do his deal with two years left on it because his good buddy Joey Galloway got big money from the Seahawks and he wanted a similar deal. The Jets policy was that they didn't do new deals with multiple years remaining on the current one so they sent him packing.

Exactly.

I don't understand the passion people have to rewrite history

Archived