Jets officially sign Matt Flynn.

Villain The Foe

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply

it's not stupid, we need a vet to play in case Fitz gets hurt b/c petty isn't ready.  I doubt Flynn will be on this roster come October.

I wouldn't doubt that he stays on the roster for a bit, last I heard he had a wrist injury and wasn't expected to be able to play in the preseason at all which would probably make you believe they had longer term plans for the guy.

I wouldn't doubt that he stays on the roster for a bit, last I heard he had a wrist injury and wasn't expected to be able to play in the preseason at all which would probably make you believe they had longer term plans for the guy.

they want Petty to play most of preseason, Flynn is just an emergency guy.

Lets face it if Fitz gets hurt we are screwed no matter who we picked up.  The main thing is to not have to rush Petty if Fitz goes down. 

We were screwed before the Geno punch and we are screwed with Fitz too.  Our only hope is that we have a lights out defense and Ivory can move the chains. This will allow for minimal Fitz plays.  If that happens then we can look similar to the Cardinals last season.  

If Fitz gets hurt this week and Geno isn't ready until week 2 or later, then this is a BRILLIANT move. While Flynn is bad, he is FAR better than bryce petty and Jake Heaps at this point. 

Once Geno is cleared to play and Fitz is healthy, Flynn will be cut. Only SOJF would whine about a smart signing.

Exactly. If there is one thing we know for sure is that Petty is no where near ready to start. I havn't seen Heap but he went un drafted for a reason. 

The Pats needed another camp arm because Flynn was hurt and they were only carrying 3, so they signed Lindley who was ready to practice.  Otherwise Garoppolo and Brady would throw too much.  The player won't be on the team come October because he will have filled his role. That is the definition of a good move..

"Stop gaps" Always the definition of a good move for the NY Jets. 

We'll return back to this "definition of a good move" if we happen not to make the playoffs after spending 50 million on free agency while putting the keys in the hands of Ryan Fitzpatrick and Matt Flynn (until October). 

We'll return back to this "definition of a good move" if we happen not to make the playoffs after spending 50 million on free agency while putting the keys in the hands of Ryan Fitzpatrick and Matt Flynn (until October). 

What exactly was the alternative to this?  I get the frustration, but we always knew the 2015 QB market (both in the draft AND free agency/trades) was going to be utterly sh*tty.  You can't even argue that we should have deferred our spending to next year, because of the following 2 reasons:

1.  We basically had to spend it (or at least a sizable chunk of it), per the cap floor rules.

2.  With the cap going up over the next few years, it makes sense to lock in some guys now a little cheaper than we'd be able to get them a year or 2 from now.

What the **** are you even talking about?  Stop gaps are used to fill gaps.  There is a gap, he fills it.  He costs nothing will be ready soon and is available.  He also has had success in the league.  We know your feelings, but note the most important item "is available."  Not illusory "on the trading block," but available.  Nothing in this move has any bearing on them going after another QB, so it doesn't even alter any plans regarding your love interest..

1st play of the game on friday Fitzpatrick goes down.  What is your scenario now?  Are you not even acknowledging the need for 4 qbs in camp and ex games?  No one is married to freakin Flynn but there is a need for another camp arm and preferably a guy that could start a game or two if need be ie a vet.  I don't see where you are coming from at all on this one.

What im saying is im not interested in a QB that we can just so easily cut in October while calling it a "good move" when we dont even have a respectable QB on the roster to begin with. Cutting Flynn come October because you have Rodgers on your team and he'll be back in a month would be a "good move". Signing Flynn when you have Fitz starting and you're waiting for Geno to come back is a stupid ass move if you ask me. 

Im not satisfied with our QB situation so it aint a good move. 

The Jets need to take a f'ing chance and trade for one of these promising back ups. We should have done that back in the offseason. And this isnt specifically about Glennon or even Mettenberger. We seriously couldnt have traded for an Austin Davis after St. Louis just gave Foles a new deal? Are all these teams asking for 1st and 2nd round picks for back up QB's on their team? Really? 

This season hasnt even started and its looking bleek as hell. Jet fans talk about how bad Geno is yet we signed two QB's that Geno is arguably better than along with a rookie who wasnt even impressive in college. We have one of the most talented teams I've seen as a Jets fan and we're about to go in to the season with Fitz and Flynn. 

Dont even talk to me right now. lol. 

LOL  you have gone off the deep end.

The whole thrust of your argument from what I can gather is:

I think our QB's suck  (which 95% of the forum agrees with).  There fore after losing one of them to injury we should do nothing.  What kind of logic is that?

If Fitzpatrick and Heaps and Perry all got hurt would it be prudent to do nothing because....gee gosh we are not going to win the superbowl and only jags are out there.

If Fitz gets hurt this week and Geno isn't ready until week 2 or later, then this is a BRILLIANT move. While Flynn is bad, he is FAR better than bryce petty and Jake Heaps at this point. 

Once Geno is cleared to play and Fitz is healthy, Flynn will be cut. Only SOJF would whine about a smart signing.

of course he's better than Petty and Heaps, but that doesnt make it a Brilliant move. EJ Manuel at this point is probably better than Petty and Heaps. 

You dont give a team that you just built to "win now" to Ryan Fitzpatrick and Matt Flynn. sh*t, you dont give a team like to Geno but atleast Geno has the excuse of being a 3 year QB around a bunch of moron coaches and zero talent at the skillet positions on offense. 

What im saying is im not interested in a QB that we can just so easily cut in October while calling it a "good move" when we dont even have a respectable QB on the roster to begin with. Cutting Flynn come October because you have Rodgers on your team and he'll be back in a month would be a "good move". Signing Flynn when you have Fitz starting and you're waiting for Geno to come back is a stupid ass move if you ask me. 

Im not satisfied with our QB situation so it aint a good move. 

The Jets need to take a f'ing chance and trade for one of these promising back ups. We should have done that back in the offseason. And this isnt specifically about Glennon or even Mettenberger. We seriously couldnt have traded for an Austin Davis after St. Louis just gave Foles a new deal? Are all these teams asking for 1st and 2nd round picks for back up QB's on their team? Really? 

This season hasnt even started and its looking bleek as hell. Jet fans talk about how bad Geno is yet we signed two QB's that Geno is arguably better than along with a rookie who wasnt even impressive in college. We have one of the most talented teams I've seen as a Jets fan and we're about to go in to the season with Fitz and Flynn. 

Dont even talk to me. lol. 

Well I made my last post before I read this so I see I was 100% correct.  You are pissed off that we have bad Qb's and the jets are not trading at this point for Qb's that are A) unavailable and probably B) out of our price range.

The Jets when they signed Fitzpatrick essentially decide they were going with him and geno this year, they drafted a development guy.  We have no idea if they tried to trade up for other Qb's or actually tried to trade for a QB but the odds of getting your guy via trade are historically only mediocre.

If there was a legit option to get a guy like Glennon and a reasonable cost and this was know you would have all the ammo you need to beef about it but we have no info on that.  We know we have a suspect vet, an injured suspect in geno and a long shot prospect in petty.  Because you can't solve the problem you have now does not mean you ignore the short term proper moves, that being getting another QB into camp.

of course he's better than Petty and Heaps, but that doesnt make it a Brilliant move. EJ Manuel at this point is probably better than Petty and Heaps.

You dont give a team that you just built to "win now" to Ryan Fitzpatrick and Matt Flynn. sh*t, you dont give a team like to Geno but atleast Geno has the excuse of being a 3 year QB around a bunch of moron coaches and zero talent at the skillet positions on offense.

You can only sign what's available. Not who fans think are available. There isn't a chance in hell that the Bills trade EJ to anyone today, never mind the Jets

Scrap heap QBs to lead probably 1 of the best teams on paper in years. 

I do approve of the Flynn signing just saying.

46 years and counting..........

No arguments here, the team does not have the QB who is going to lead them anywhere on the roster now. 

What the **** are you even talking about?  Stop gaps are used to fill gaps.  There is a gap, he fills it.  He costs nothing will be ready soon and is available.  He also has had success in the league.  We know your feelings, but note the most important item "is available."  Not illusory "on the trading block," but available.  Nothing in this move has any bearing on them going after another QB, so it doesn't even alter any plans regarding your love interest..

Geno for the most part is considered a stop gap. The fact that there was a literal gap doesnt mean that you had to get just anyone when the players you already have are not even reliable when they are healthy 

Flynn has success in this league? Matt Flynn made 9 million dollars in guaranteed money because he threw for 500 yards and a bunch of TD's in one game for Green Bay. That is quite successful if you're talking financials. But on the football field this dude has done nothing before or since then. 

You guys are looking for stop gaps and cagey veterans that arent even better than the terrible QB we currently have. The move is stupid. You dont agree with me. Cool. 

You can only sign what's available. Not who fans think are available. There isn't a chance in hell that the Bills trade EJ to anyone today, never mind the Jets

It was a figure of speech. I would literally disown this team if they traded for EJ Manuel. My point was that the person said it was a brilliant move because Flynn is better than both Petty and Heaps...as if that takes alot of effort to somehow accomplish. 

It was a figure of speech. I would literally disown this team if they traded for EJ Manuel. My point was that the person said it was a brilliant move because Flynn is better than both Petty and Heaps...as if that takes alot of effort to somehow accomplish.

Ok, I guess.

It was the only move available today. Maybe someone becomes available better with cut down or through trade later. But they're lookin for a 4 game backup who will become 3rd string, maybe, when Geno heals.

Whatever the Jets need to do, but I dont like the move and my position on that wont change.

Hard to find fault with the move though. He was available, they need a backup, there are t alternative right now that are better.

Well I made my last post before I read this so I see I was 100% correct.  You are pissed off that we have bad Qb's and the jets are not trading at this point for Qb's that are A) unavailable and probably B) out of our price range.

The Jets when they signed Fitzpatrick essentially decide they were going with him and geno this year, they drafted a development guy.  We have no idea if they tried to trade up for other Qb's or actually tried to trade for a QB but the odds of getting your guy via trade are historically only mediocre.

If there was a legit option to get a guy like Glennon and a reasonable cost and this was know you would have all the ammo you need to beef about it but we have no info on that.  We know we have a suspect vet, an injured suspect in geno and a long shot prospect in petty.  Because you can't solve the problem you have now does not mean you ignore the short term proper moves, that being getting another QB into camp.

Then you get what you deserve. Scared money never made any money. We dont draft well, dont coach well and dont take chances because its out of our price range of picks we dont even use well when we have them. 

Enjoy the season. 

Then you get what you deserve. Scared money never made any money. We dont draft well, dont coach well and dont take chances because its out of our price range of picks we dont even use well when we have them. 

Enjoy the season. 

Villian none of us are happy only the Geno haters seem to be happy in return they got Fitzpatrick I think Bowles and Macc aren't happy with Fitzpatrick thats why they got Flynn any real Jets fan cannot be happy with the overall situation here at QB

Archived