Starters looked like crap again, should we be worried?

Freemanm

I'm worried...Brady's suspension appears to be headed towards a reduction, which I wasnt expecting; I thought the CBA was gonna be the binding legal aspect of the case that let Goodells decision stand. The players bargained to give him the power! That Metrosexual is gonna tear the AFCE a new one once he gets back!! I was hoping theyd be 0-4 when he returned..our luck theyll be 1-1. 

Such is life as a NYJ fan.

The Judge is an idiot.

• Replies 145
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm worried...Brady's suspension appears to be headed towards a reduction, which I wasnt expecting; I thought the CBA was gonna be the binding legal aspect of the case that let Goodells decision stand. The players bargained to give him the power! That Metrosexual is gonna tear the AFCE a new one once he gets back!! I was hoping theyd be 0-4 when he returned..our luck theyll be 1-1.

Such is life as a NYJ fan.

We have to start focusing on us instead of other teams.

Welcome to the boards bro ... Hope you continue to pop in throughout the season!

No reasonable jets fan is questioning the ATL 1st string offense

You have n Ryan what we've been searching for ... At least since pre-injury Pennington ... A true young field general who is in command of his O & him team.

On the other side of the ball if you can improve to middle of the pack on D instead of bottom of the league then you'll have a chance to make some noise this year. I did like what I saw of Beasley going into the draft as well.

The Jets are an inverse image of your team ... We want to see the D remain where it has been for years under Rex Ryan and have our O go from bottom of the league to middle of the pack.

Watching last night I have to say I wanted to throw my shoe ... Then a brick through my tv ... Then pisss all over the remains ... However the way the first quarter was going an electric charge probably would have gone up my urine stream and electrocuted me sausage first!

There didn't seem to be one place to put the blame ... Big pass by Ryan here ... Holding call there ... Please cut our blocking TE already, the penalty machine there ... Booming ATL punt here ... Great Hester return there ... Jets D missed tackle over there ... Etc.

Part of that should be credit going to ATL ... Quentin Coples (I believe) was the defender on your FB pass out to the right side flat that turned into the big play ... He was a half of a step slow but seemed to be close to actually jumping the route & at least deflecting the ball ... A less talented QB probably doesn't make that connection. Your punter was money ... Hester showed everybody that he still has it.

Part of it is , as you know , with new HC, OC, & DC there is a learning curve. I'm not sure what Kyle Shanahan has changed on the O ... If anything ... But Ryan has been money. My surprise has been our D looking as shaky as it has so far. I have to remind myself (in addition to the guys not on the field) these are talented players learning a new scheme ... Our HC (as well as yours) have strong defensive pelts on their wall & this should correct itself with time.

My scarier surprise was how outplayed our ST were. Part of that can credit your P & Hester ... Part of that should go to the lack of live 11 on 11 ST practice so far in TC ... Hopefully it is not due to lack of backups talent on the field.

Anyway, welcome again to our board!

thanks man, yeah our team was doo doo bad last yr especially on defense we were worst in league we could not generate a pass rush to save our life last yr and in two pre season games we were getting sacks with just the front four. yall were my sleeper pick this yr really like bowles and loved what yall did in the offseason. that back up qb yall have has a cannon. not a fan of fitzpatrick im shocked he is still getting work. here is our beat writer for espn with a break down of our starting defense, and he is no homer he tore us to shreds last yr for good reason...

The Atlanta Falcons may have finally discovered their pass rush.

A team that has ranked 25th or lower in sacks per pass play the last five seasons suddenly looks more than capable of applying intense pressure. The flashes shown by rookie Vic Beasley and veteran Adrian Clayborn on the right side of the line in Friday's 30-22 preseason loss to the New York Jets gave coach Dan Quinn plenty of reason to be optimistic.

"It was good to see Vic play fast," Quinn said in his postgame radio interview with Dave Archer. "It was good to see him and Adrian -- they're getting their timing and their chemistry together over on that right side."

The first-team defense played well as a whole, helping to force the Jets into five consecutive punts to start the game. First and foremost, the Falcons were able to stop the run. Then guys such as Paul Worrilow, Justin Durant and Kemal Ishmael made plays in the back seven.

But when it came to third down, Beasley and Clayborn pinned their ears back and got after it. On a third-and-9 play during the Jets' first drive, Beasley pushed back three-time Pro Bowl left tackle D'Brickashaw Ferguson while Clayborn made a quick swim move past guard James Carpenter to move quarterback Ryan Fitzpatrick off his spot. Fitzpatrick ran a couple of yards but was taken down by Worrilow and Durant to force a punt.

Later, on a third-and-14 play set up by Jonathan Babineaux's tackle of running back Chris Ivory for a 4-yard loss, Clayborn sacked Fitzpatrick, thanks in large part to Beasley's bull rush of Ferguson that essentially knocked Ferguson into Fitzpatrick. Clayborn just cleaned up the mess.

And finally, Clayborn and Beasley teamed up on a stunt that resulted in Beasley rushing up the middle and tipping a Fitzpatrick pass incomplete on third-and-6, forcing another punt.

Beasley showed the full arsenal all night, rushing from both sides and even giving folks a taste of a devastating spin move.

Quinn's 4-3 attacking scheme has the Falcons playing a lot freer and faster, but the added speed of Beasley, Clayborn and O'Brien Schofield obviously has elevated the level of play. Schofield himself nearly got a sack while pressuring Fitzpatrick.

The pass rush group of Beasley, Clayborn, Babineaux and Schofield looked dominant. Babineaux saw more snaps with Ra'Shede Hageman sidelined with a concussion.

"We wanted to come out and play our style of football," Babineaux said. "Unfortunately, our first unit, we didn’t go out there and get the ball back -- our type and style of football -- but we got after them. We got to the ball and tried to harass the quarterback a few times in the backfield and tried to make some plays."

The Falcons finished with three sacks and four quarterback hits. Stansly Maponga got a sack for the second consecutive game as he looks to earn a roster spot.

Fitzpatrick the starting QB looked horrible again Bryce Petty sparked the offense Fitzpatrick showed zero emotion and nothing that warrants being a starting QB on the team. 

Id like to see Petty work with the starters next week.

Oh please, he didn't look horrible. Give it a rest. The people who look horrible are the wrs and tes who keep dropping the ball. You act as if the guy threw 2 picks, which went for 7, and completed 30% of his passes.

agree, he isnt a coverage guy,,never was,, mainly a pass rusher only, ,coverage and run stopper arent his strengths, never were.. he is looking to end up a 3rd and long situational pass rusher me thinks.. thank god williams dropped to us.........

What LB is good in coverage?

Oh please, he didn't look horrible. Give it a rest. The people who look horrible are the wrs and tes who keep dropping the ball. You act as if the guy threw 2 picks, which went for 7, and completed 30% of his passes.

Yeah he didn't suck. 85 QBR. Completed just about 68% of his passes, each completion averaged about a 9 yard gain.

Fitz hasn't looked bad at all. 

agree, he isnt a coverage guy,,never was,, mainly a pass rusher only, ,coverage and run stopper arent his strengths, never were.. he is looking to end up a 3rd and long situational pass rusher me thinks.. thank god williams dropped to us.........

He had some run stopping highlights as well..

What games have you been watching and my next question have you been watching them drunk or stoned.

Fitz did fine, the one and only problem I have with Fitz is that he doesn't have a big arm and no big arm = no big plays. I would prefer to have Geno back but Fitz hasn't done anything terrible yet to be screaming for a change.

Fitz did fine, the one and only problem I have with Fitz is that he doesn't have a big arm and no big arm = no big plays. I would prefer to have Geno back but Fitz hasn't done anything terrible yet to be screaming for a change.

3 points in 2 games 0 touchdowns + Fitz sucks 

There is no rule for how long to bench a developmental QB. You start him when he gives you the best chance to win. Could take 3 years, could take 3 games... Who knows, but you don't sit him if he's ready just because 'developing '.

Agreed, you don't rush him either though and 1 good half of a game against second and 3rd stringers doesn't justify Petty being ready to become an NFL starter in my opinion.

What I saw out of Fitz lastnight confirms to me that he is not the guy who is going to be an answer for us. His arm looks weaker then Chads after the injury.

Seriously folks we all better hope Geno can get back sooner and finally play like a seasoned pro or it's going to be another very long year.

I also think it makes trading for a kid like Glennon a real priority this year. I am not sure if Flynn can handle the duties yet and who knows how long before he ready and knows the play book. Then the question is, is he a Vinny T. or

a Ryan Leaf.

3 points in 2 games 0 touchdowns + Fitz sucks 

11 points with Fitz at QB he was the QB that handed the ball to Ivory for that 33 yard run yesterday, then he was the QB who threw a successful pass to Marshal in the endzone for a 2pt conversion immediately after. He has also only had under 2 weeks worth of snaps with our first team offense. again, I would prefer to see Geno and I thought Petty looked great last night, I also agree with you that Fitz has a small arm which will not be fun to watch but the guy is doing alright given the situation he was thrown into. Also please keep in mind that Petty looked great against 2nd and 3rd stringers (at his stage in development that is a good accomplishment but he didn't have his great game against the Falcons starters).

11 points with Fitz at QB he was the QB that handed the ball to Ivory for that 33 yard run yesterday, then he was the QB who threw a successful pass to Marshal in the endzone for a 2pt conversion immediately after. He has also only had under 2 weeks worth of snaps with our first team offense. again, I would prefer to see Geno and I thought Petty looked great last night, I also agree with you that Fitz has a small arm which will not be fun to watch but the guy is doing alright given the situation he was thrown into. Also please keep in mind that Petty looked great against 2nd and 3rd stringers (at his stage in development that is a good accomplishment but he didn't have his great game against the Falcons starters).

I miss Geno also.

What I saw out of Fitz lastnight confirms to me that he is not the guy who is going to be an answer for us. His arm looks weaker then Chads after the injury.

Seriously folks we all better hope Geno can get back sooner and finally play like a seasoned pro or it's going to be another very long year.

I also think it makes trading for a kid like Glennon a real priority this year. I am not sure if Flynn can handle the duties yet and who knows how long before he ready and knows the play book. Then the question is, is he a Vinny T. or

a Ryan Leaf.

Flynn hasn't even had a practice with the Jets yet, I am not a fan of the kid by any means but how could you know what he can or cant handle yet without him even touching a football in camp? keep in mind the Jets have one of the best receiver groups he will have ever played with. Fitz had better stats last night than 90% of the regular season Jets QB stats in the past couple of years, we get it some of you don't like Fitz and were expecting us to have Aaron Rodgers as our starter with Andrew Luck backing him up this season but lets be realistic and give our players a chance until they give us a reason to be upset with them.

http://turnonthejets.com/2015/08/picksix-game-review-jets-vs-falcons/#more-28337

Ryan Fitzpatrick’s arm strength severely limits this offense.
When Devin Smith was drafted, the belief was that he’d help stretch the field for an offense that hasn’t had many players do that in recent memory. This was before Geno Smith got hurt. With Fitzpatrick at the helm, the Jets offense is going to have to be methodical and utilize slants and bubble screens to get the ball into the hands of their playmakers. Brandon Marshall and Eric Decker excel at getting yards after the catch, so this benefits them the most. However, Fitzpatrick physically cannot throw deep so you’d hope Chan Gailey can come up with creative ways to create big plays because Fitzpatrick’s arm doesn’t allow them to be create the old fashioned way with 9 routes to your WR with deep speed.

Preseason means nothing.   The Jets are loaded with veterans on both sides of the ball whose lone goal is to avoid injury during the preseason.   

Bowles mentioned in an interview this week that they are barely even calling defenses and basically just letting guys run around.    The value in preseason is for the backups (Petty) to get some game experience.   

That being said, Fitzpatrick's lack of arm strength is worrisome.   He may be done as a starting NFL QB.   

If the Jets stink it up vs. the browns in week 1 then it's going to be a long season.   Other than that, no injuries to the starters = a good preseason game.  

Flynn hasn't even had a practice with the Jets yet, I am not a fan of the kid by any means but how could you know what he can or cant handle yet without him even touching a football in camp? keep in mind the Jets have one of the best receiver groups he will have ever played with. Fitz had better stats last night than 90% of the regular season Jets QB stats in the past couple of years, we get it some of you don't like Fitz and were expecting us to have Aaron Rodgers as our starter with Andrew Luck backing him up this season but lets be realistic and give our players a chance until they give us a reason to be upset with them.

Flynn is an unknown was the point I was trying to make. If the Jets are force to play the underneath game of dink and dunk and very little deep ball with Fitz, expect defenses to stack the box. This will limit what the Jets are able to do, as experienced by the first team offense against the Falcons first team defense. Do not forget the five 3 and outs you saw lastnight. They knew the deep ball threat with Fitz was almost non-existent.

Flynn is an unknown was the point I was trying to make. If the Jets are force to play the underneath game of dink and dunk and very little deep ball with Fitz, expect defenses to stack the box. This will limit what the Jets are able to do, as experienced by the first team offense against the Falcons first team defense. Do not forget the five 3 and outs you saw lastnight. They knew the deep ball threat with Fitz was almost non-existent.

Except they weren't playing 8 in the box, weren't gay planning against a guy who can go deep. The jets just didn't execute early.

Did we watch a different game? I saw one big play from Ryan the one where couples missed a pass deflection and it turned into a big gain. Aside from that I think they held Ryan to something like 20 yards and the run game to something like 6...The thing that killed us was the flags (Revis holding flag on Jones turned a field goal into a TD). We were also much improved from the game vs the Lions, yes they still have to work on some things but we also still have 2 pre season games left.

Falcons starting 3 rbs were out of the game. Ryan was also 4-5 for 75 yards, that to me is shredded. They also put up 14 points on us in the first quarter. How you can say that is positive blows my mind. Our offense also was getting torn apart by the vaunted Falcons defense and didn't start moving till they put in their backups. You know that same defense that caused the Falcons team to go like 6-10 or whatever their record was.

Falcons starting 3 rbs were out of the game. Ryan was also 4-5 for 75 yards, that to me is shredded. They also put up 14 points on us in the first quarter. How you can say that is positive blows my mind. Our offense also was getting torn apart by the vaunted Falcons defense and didn't start moving till they put in their backups. You know that same defense that caused the Falcons team to go like 6-10 or whatever their record was.

4-5 for 75. Means he was 3-4 for 13 after the busted play for 62 yards. Did set up their TD.

Other was a gift from STs. After the 84 yards on the opening drive they got 1 yard the rest of the half.

Which backups came in on D? Always hear it, who sat and when?

Agreed, you don't rush him either though and 1 good half of a game against second and 3rd stringers doesn't justify Petty being ready to become an NFL starter in my opinion.

I would assume that's a given. 

Only slapdick's here are going to be that over-reactive to pre-season football. I love that the kid is showing promise and a major league arm, that's good enough given how many reps he's had at the pro level for now... 

I would assume that's a given. 

Only slapdick's here are going to be that over-reactive to pre-season football. I love that the kid is showing promise and a major league arm, that's good enough given how many reps he's had at the pro level for now... 

He looked much more poised and decisive in the pocket last night , but the only way Petty sees the field this year is if Qb's 1 and 2 are injured and the Jets are eliminated from playoff contention with like 6 games of so left.

Archived