Geno is back at practice.

Thor99

This was the whole premise of my question...how likely is it that they get to 4-0 under Fitz now that Geno may be further along than anticipated.  

He's not if Geno is further along than expected.  But hes not losing his job after 1-0 just ok play at QB.  Thought thats what we were discussing given Geno is further along

• Replies 198
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thank you for the exact quote.  Didn;t cover 1-0 while playing mediocre 

Right.  Sounded as though he was just stating the obvious.  90% of all QBs would lose their job if the team goes 6-0 and everything is great.

I'm expecting Geno back in there pretty soon.  I'd say slightly under 50% chance for week 1 if he's actually practicing full now.  Over 50% for week 2.

Right.  Sounded as though he was just stating the obvious.  90% of all QBs would lose their job if the team goes 6-0 and everything is great.

I'm expecting Geno back in there pretty soon.  I'd say slightly under 50% chance for week 1 if he's actually practicing full now.  Over 50% for week 2.

Exactly.  He was saying you don't lose your spot to an injury but at 7-0 he'd make the logical choice and play the backup.  Who wouldn't and who thinks Fitz or anyone would be 7-0 here 

Why do Jet Fans want a Jet QB to fail so they can feel good about themselves ?  There was a time when sports and music transcended all forms of hatred.

I want Geno to be awesome.  He's young and he's a Jet.  That doesn't mean I won't talk about the possibility of him not being awesome, since he never has been, and what to do if that is the  case.  I think it'll be his best season yet because it has to be.  Better OC, better talent, better defense, etc.  Just how good he'll be remains to be seen.

Bowles was just on a presser and he implied that Geno will treated just as if he had obtained an injury falling down.  I took that to mean he would work him back into the line up if and when he was ready.  IMO if Fritz is playing lights out he stays as starting QB

It's now Fitz's job to lose.  

Knew Mope-o would be back before Sunday after they cut the QB's.

If he's learned something from it, has had an awakening, and can contribute if his number is called - I'll support him loud and long.

If it's more of the same -  I'll hope for any story line that gets him out of Jet Green - asap.

I want Geno to be awesome.  He's young and he's a Jet.  That doesn't mean I won't talk about the possibility of him not being awesome, since he never has been, and what to do if that is the  case.  I think it'll be his best season yet because it has to be.  Better OC, better talent, better defense, etc.  Just how good he'll be remains to be seen.

What good can you or anyone get out of talking about how someone might stink ?  If the QB has a bad game, you have the right to blast him , but after that, why not wish for a great game next time out  instead of killing your QB in print for something you think he might do because of past experiences ?

May the best QB playing the best play.

Like always.

I believe that is and will be Fitz in 2015.

But if it's Geno, so be it.

Looking at Fitz history I am not sure how someone comes to that conclusion. The odds of Fitz staying as starter throughout the season is close to zero in my view either from crappy play, crappy record or injury.

He is just not a very good QB

Looking at Fitz history I am not sure how someone comes to that conclusion. The odds of Fitz staying as starter throughout the season is close to zero in my view either from crappy play, crappy record or injury.

The Jets don't have a "very good" QB on the roster. All they are looking for is limited turnovers and average QB play. Fitzpatrick gives the Jets a better chance at that than Geno does. 

May the best QB playing the best play.

Like always.

I believe that is and will be Fitz in 2015.

But if it's Geno, so be it.

Different than when you wanted the best QB in camp to be the one to play.  Now its whoever is playing better? Geno by everyones account had won the battle of camp

Why do Jet Fans want a Jet QB to fail so they can feel good about themselves ?  There was a time when sports and music transcended all forms of hatred.

What??   We don't want him to fail.  It's that over the past two seasons, we've seen Geno fail remarkably well.  We just don't want to throw away another season watching him continue his mastery of failure.

What good can you or anyone get out of talking about how someone might stink ?  If the QB has a bad game, you have the right to blast him , but after that, why not wish for a great game next time out  instead of killing your QB in print for something you think he might do because of past experiences ?

I'm just a fan who loves talking about the team.  Good, bad or otehrwise, I enjoy that more than I would enjoy acting like bad things aren't happening while I hope it just goes away.

What??   We don't want him to fail.  It's that over the past two seasons, we've seen Geno fail remarkably well.  We just don't want to throw away another season watching him continue his mastery of failure.

So you know 2 things beyond the shadow of a doubt. 

1 -  Geno Smith is going to stink if he's allowed to start or even see the field in 2015

2 -  Ryan Fitzpatrick is going to be a better starting QB for the Jets in 2015.

Why don't you put that talent of yours to better use.

So you know 2 things beyond the shadow of a doubt. 

1 -  Geno Smith is going to stink if he's allowed to start or even see the field in 2015

2 -  Ryan Fitzpatrick is going to be a better starting QB for the Jets in 2015.

Why don't you put that talent of yours to better use.

All I know is both of them suck. Maybe Fitz sucks a tad less than Geno.  Maybe. 

Year one, he had no business starting.  If Petty were forced to start from week 1 this year, would you hold it against him?

Year two.  Let me preface this by saying I like Kerely, but he was our #1 for much of last season.  Decker was either out or playing hurt.  Kerley.  The guy struggling to hold onto the 3 spot this year.  We had a GM who was dead set on sabatouging the season.  Yet even with that, once Decker was healthy, Geno began playing well.  

Now in 2015, with offensive weapons, a new system and the all important 3rd year for a QB on-hand, Geno was playing great in camp.  Does it mean he's gonna be good/great?  No.  But it should mean the potential is there enough to give him the shot to be good.  Why settle for mediocre at best with Fitz?

If Geno sucks again.  No worries.  Fitz isnt going anywhere.  

I'm just a fan who loves talking about the team.  Good, bad or otehrwise, I enjoy that more than I would enjoy acting like bad things aren't happening while I hope it just goes away.

Do you see any benefit in projecting bad base on past performances ?  I love talking about the Jets. I just prefer to hope for better instead of expecting the worst. I know none of these players personally, so I have no opinion about them as men. 

Do you see any benefit in projecting bad base on past performances ?  I love talking about the Jets. I just prefer to hope for better instead of expecting the worst. I know none of these players personally, so I have no opinion about them as men. 

I don't see any benefit in pretending the past didn't happen either.  I'd rather discuss reality and what we know as opposed to hope for the sake of hope.  I want him to be a SB winning QB, but no SB winning QB in my lifetime, aside from Dilfer, has been as bad as Geno was through his first two seasons.

Looking at Geno's history is how someone comes to that conclusion.

Geno is just worse than the not a very good QB

I don't see any benefit in pretending the past didn't happen either.  I'd rather discuss reality and what we know as opposed to hope for the sake of hope.  I want him to be a SB winning QB, but no SB winning QB in my lifetime, aside from Dilfer, has been as bad as Geno was through his first two seasons.

I don't remember the exact situation, but was Eli much better his first two years?  I know fans were trying to run him outta town.  Pretty sure he had a better supporting cast too.

*Edit:  Oh and Eli was a top pick.  Geno was a 2nd rounder not expected to start right away either.  He was forced into the starting role his first year.

I don't remember the exact situation, but was Eli much better his first two years?  I know fans were trying to run him outta town.  Pretty sure he had a better supporting cast too.

He struggled...but he wasn't as bad as Geno.  Threw a lot of INT's, but even more TD's.

I tend to agree, and since I know nothing about the future, all I can do about it is hope. We are not talking about the past thou are we ? we are talking about what will happen in the future and predicting/ hoping that 1 player will be better than the other. We have no evidence to present in support or defense of Geno Smith since he has never played for Chan Gailey. We do know this much thou.  As the starting QB for Gailey in another location, 1 guy got fired and the other got released.

*Edit:  Oh and Eli was a top pick.  Geno was a 2nd rounder not expected to start right away either.  He was forced into the starting role his first year.

Eli being a top pick hirts your argument more.., a #1 pick gets a much longer leash than a 2 rounder 

He struggled...but he wasn't as bad as Geno.  Threw a lot of INT's, but even more TD's.

Just suggesting that maybe the first two years for Geno and Eli could be comparable.  Considering Eli was a top pick, better system and weapons.  While Geno was a known project that wasn't supposed to start with cr@p for weapons.

Tells me that it's at least worth a shot to see what Geno can do in a good situation before giving up on him.

Eli being a top pick hirts your argument more.., a #1 pick gets a much longer leash than a 2 rounder 

I don't agree with that.  Or at least maybe that's true, but Geno's first year shouldn't even count towards the leash.  Again I'd ask, if Petty were forced to start now and Marshall n Decker went down injured...  would you hold a bad year against Petty?

Year one, he had no business starting.  If Petty were forced to start from week 1 this year, would you hold it against him?

Year two.  Let me preface this by saying I like Kerely, but he was our #1 for much of last season.  Decker was either out or playing hurt.  Kerley.  The guy struggling to hold onto the 3 spot this year.  We had a GM who was dead set on sabatouging the season.  Yet even with that, once Decker was healthy, Geno began playing well.  

Now in 2015, with offensive weapons, a new system and the all important 3rd year for a QB on-hand, Geno was playing great in camp.  Does it mean he's gonna be good/great?  No.  But it should mean the potential is there enough to give him the shot to be good.  Why settle for mediocre at best with Fitz?

If Geno sucks again.  No worries.  Fitz isnt going anywhere.  

I get all you're saying.  Honestly, I do. 

But over the past two years I've watched Geno throw more pick 6s/red zone INTs than I thought humanly possible.  You can't blame all those on receivers, scheme, or humidity on game days.  He's the guy making the decision to make the throw.  

And that brings us to another aspect of his disability: Geno is a dunce at reading defenses.  He's lost out there.  Plus, his method of "avoiding" a sack/pass rush is to either run backwards for 25 yards or attempt to throw the ball as he's about to be tacked and an inch from the ground.

You want to hitch your horses to the Geno wagon?  Fine.  I respect and applaud your faith.  Totally.

Me?  I've seen enough of the guy.  Just as when folks were defending Sanchez, Tebow, and what seems like a thousand former Jet tools, we are wasting our time on Geno.  I wish Mcc would work out a trade for him.  With our two QBs, this season is pretty much shot anyway.   

I don't agree with that.  Or at least maybe that's true, but Geno's first year shouldn't even count towards the leash.  Again I'd ask, if Petty were forced to start now and Marshall n Decker went down injured...  would you hold a bad year against Petty?

depends on pettys overall game and off field issues. Geno not only played like sh*t he has atleast three off fields incidents that make you shake your head and make you think this is not a guy that can lead 52 other men to the promise land 

depends on pettys overall game and off field issues. Geno not only played like sh*t he has atleast three off fields incidents that make you shake your head and make you think this is not a guy that can lead 52 other men to the promise land 

lol, I'm having a hard enough time defending his on the field play.  My thumbs would fall off (typing on phone) if I had to account for the off the field stuff at the moment.  You win that debate by default for now.

Archived