Leonard Williams says he was out of shape for opener

AFJF

A few people said it.  Somebody said that Jarrett was pulled and not seen again.  He had 4 snaps and they all seemed to be at the start - I think he had one on a play that didn't count for a chop block.  It is possible there was a safety screw up AND Cromartie wasn't supposed to get help. 

This. Safety is named safety for a reason, they are last line of defense against deep plays. With that said, the announcers were surmising that the Jets were bracketing Benjamin (Cro playing underneath, Safety over the top), Bowles just confirmed that they weren't bracketing Benjamin but that doesn't mean that the safety's responsibilities weren't the deep right half of the field where Benjamin ultimately caught the ball. 

So on the Cro play, my best guess is that if he was expecting safety help, that was the fault of him.  Sorry for the quick and dirty picture.  Blue is representing the pass rushers/blitzers.  Yellow appears to go to man coverage as they each immediately pick up a receiver, and the red appear to drop into zone one short one deep..   Browns line up with 3 WR/TE on the right side,, and one on the left (Cro's side).  Jets blitz from the offense's right side, requiring rolling the safety and linebacker over to the offenses right to pick up the 2 open men.  There are then two Jets defenders (in red) not rushing or assigned to a man (although the defender playing the short zone might be waiting to cover the back).  Both players in red's initial step is toward the middle of the field.  With 3 receivers on the right side, and only one deep safety, not sure why that safety would be on Cro's side uness the call was specifically to double the receiver. 

Of course, we have no idea what the play call was, and it is possible that safety help was on Cro's man, but it doesn't seem like place to put the single deep safety based upon the formation and where all the other defenders went.

EDIT:  Sorry that the picture is slightly cut off, there is a deep safety in the initial formation at the end of the yellow line that goes off the edge of the picture.

jetscro.jpg

Going to agree with a lot here...it's normal for a rookie to feel like that.  He'll be fine.

The more alarming portion of the article is the hot topic, Cro's blown coverage.  That was awful.  There is no reason on 3rd and long a veteran CB bites on a short curl and gets burned deep for a TD.

I'll say it, Marcus Williams is a better player than Cro.  Straight up.  

Going to agree with a lot here...it's normal for a rookie to feel like that.  He'll be fine.

The more alarming portion of the article is the hot topic, Cro's blown coverage.  That was awful.  There is no reason on 3rd and long a veteran CB bites on a short curl and gets burned deep for a TD.

I'll say it, Marcus Williams is a better player than Cro.  Straight up.  

He will be tested this week.  We will see!

Every player is out of shape for the opener. 

It is a byproduct of softer camps and fewer reps in pre-season. Game 1 of the NFL often is a byproduct of who can outlast the other opponent most, and eliminating special team mistakes.

Disgaree...  MOST are out of shape.  The true professionals are not. Jerry Rice was a conditioning monster. I Just read an article about Steve Smith here in Charlotte. He trains like a beast in the off season, closely monitors his diet, uses a professional trainer 4 days a week off season.

Many players train like animals before training camp.

So the excuse mongers who blamed Jarrett for that td were WRrrrrrrrronnnnnng???  omg!

they might be right, but I think this is Bowles basically saying there will be no excuses for anything, full accountability for every player.  A refreshing much needed culture change.

So on the Cro play, my best guess is that if he was expecting safety help, that was the fault of him.  Sorry for the quick and dirty picture.  Blue is representing the pass rushers/blitzers.  Yellow appears to go to man coverage as they each immediately pick up a receiver, and the red appear to drop into zone one short one deep..   Browns line up with 3 WR/TE on the right side,, and one on the left (Cro's side).  Jets blitz from the offense's right side, requiring rolling the safety and linebacker over to the offenses right to pick up the 2 open men.  There are then two Jets defenders (in red) not rushing or assigned to a man (although the defender playing the short zone might be waiting to cover the back).  Both players in red's initial step is toward the middle of the field.  With 3 receivers on the right side, and only one deep safety, not sure why that safety would be on Cro's side uness the call was specifically to double the receiver. 

Of course, we have no idea what the play call was, and it is possible that safety help was on Cro's man, but it doesn't seem like place to put the single deep safety based upon the formation and where all the other defenders went.

EDIT:  Sorry that the picture is slightly cut off, there is a deep safety in the initial formation at the end of the yellow line that goes off the edge of the picture.

jetscro.jpg

Nice pic. If you watch that play again, Cro is with Benjamin step by step to the first down marker, he sees Manziel throw his way and Cro gambles thinking that the throw is going to be undreneath and leaves the WR to undercut the throw. We all know now that the throw is deep and Cro got burnt because of the gamble. His instincts on that play, while admirable, were wrong. Jarrett was playing the sticks not really covering anybody so yes, he should have given over the top help to Cro. Bad guesses for both of them. sh*t happens.

Disgaree...  MOST are out of shape.  The true professionals are not. Jerry Rice was a conditioning monster. I Just read an article about Steve Smith here in Charlotte. He trains like a beast in the off season, closely monitors his diet, uses a professional trainer 4 days a week off season.

Many players train like animals before training camp.

In all honesty, I think ALL players train like animals before training camp.  I've worked out with some practice squad and tryout level players and it is almost shocking what they do.  I think when a guy like Williams mentions "conditioning" he is talking about cardiovascular which is a different portion of their routine and some of them have to be careful to keep from tiring their joints and losing too much weight.  

In all honesty, I think ALL players train like animals before training camp.  I've worked out with some practice squad and tryout level players and it is almost shocking what they do.  I think when a guy like Williams mentions "conditioning" he is talking about cardiovascular which is a different portion of their routine and some of them have to be careful to keep from tiring their joints and losing too much weight.  

Perhaps...but it brings up the point of, to even make the practice squad or hell....get a tryout, you are a BEAST.  All these guys were basically the best 1 or 2 players in their entire county.

And then there's Joe McKnight...

He'll play his way into shape.  We have to remember to temper expectations a little bit.  Kid just turned 21 in June and his first test was against probably a top 10-15 offensive line in the league. 

Bowles disputed his claim to need to get into better shape.  Made sense too.  Said that Williams has been practicing 100 snaps a day all summer, he's in fine shape.  Said his problem was, and that it happens to lots of rookies, is that he's so hyped to get out and play his first game that he was too wound up and tight.  

Bowles disputed his claim to need to get into better shape.  Made sense too.  Said that Williams has been practicing 100 snaps a day all summer, he's in fine shape.  Said his problem was, and that it happens to lots of rookies, is that he's so hyped to get out and play his first game that he was too wound up and tight.  

So Williams says he's out of shape, and Bowles goes "No you aren't?"  lol.  Bowles sounds like an encouraging boyfriend telling his fat girlfriend that no, those jeans don't make her butt look big.

But seriously nerves and stuff had to play a big factor and we should not be worried at all about this kid's future.

So Williams says he's out of shape, and Bowles goes "No you aren't?"  lol.  Bowles sounds like an encouraging boyfriend telling his fat girlfriend that no, those jeans don't make her butt look big.

But seriously nerves and stuff had to play a big factor and we should not be worried at all about this kid's future.

lol, he made some comment about Williams foaming and spotting waiting to get in, all amped up to get into the game.  That they had to get him out to catch his breath.  He was laughing.  I get his point, how can you take all those snaps and be out of shape.  That Williams took all of this as meaning he needs to work harder is telling as to what this kid is all about. 

lol, he made some comment about Williams foaming and spotting waiting to get in, all amped up to get into the game.  That they had to get him out to catch his breath.  He was laughing.  I get his point, how can you take all those snaps and be out of shape.  That Williams took all of this as meaning he needs to work harder is telling as to what this kid is all about. 

Exactly right.  How many 21-year old stud athletes have their heads on straight like Leonard does?  Less than 2 %?

Thanks Redskins.  Morons.

Leo looks like a big flabby puppy in the video of the team giving Bowles the game ball. Dude has great natural skills, great hands,  and he uses his leverage well. He's still carrying baby fat & a starting Dlineman in the NFL. He's gonna be a MONSTER after a few years in the NFL strength & conditioning programs in the offseason, rolling into 2016.

Bowles even commented that Williams was foaming at the mouth, as he got too hyped for the home opener & adrenalin rush tired him out. He's gonna be awesome when he settles in & Sheldon comes back. Nasty Dline rotation. Keep winning early & we'll have an awesome playoff run. 

Williams, Smith, Owusu, Reilly, Mauldin, all getting better. Yea baby!

You gotta like this.  A rookie admitting he should be in better shape?  I don't think most players would admit this.

Guys helping his team get better!

Good point! It's normal to hear them say they were ready, but this kid says I was not ready for this, I need to do a better job of getting in game shape. He had a solid game, now I can't wait to see him in game shape. Too bad the media will hound him with this now that he said it.

Archived