Geno still "extremely" angry about punch

Furor Teutonicus

I'm not saying Geno isn't to blame in this situation, there were many other ways for him to handle the situation so it didn't escalate.  However, I don't get the sentiment expressed in this thread that somehow makes it seem like he actually deserved to get his face punched in, when IK over the years has shown that he seems to overreact in a violent manner.  

How was Marshall non supportive of Geno?  

Why does the sucker punch narrative need to be true?  He got punched by his own teammate.  Should he have been expecting that?  I understand pushing and shoving, but punching is an assault.  While I don't absolve Geno, I'm not going to burn him to the ground because he hasn't fallen at the feet of the media or the fans for getting his face punched unexpectedly.  And the finance situation that placed in this situation should've been something that's handled between him and IK.  I still maintain that the full information as to why there was a fight isn't out there yet. 

So if Geno had half a brain that alone should have made him honor his word to pay IK..:blink:

• Replies 227
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm not saying Geno isn't to blame in this situation, there were many other ways for him to handle the situation so it didn't escalate.  However, I don't get the sentiment expressed in this thread that somehow makes it seem like he actually deserved to get his face punched in, when IK over the years has shown that he seems to overreact in a violent manner.  

Why does the sucker punch narrative need to be true?  He got punched by his own teammate.  Should he have been expecting that?  I understand pushing and shoving, but punching is an assault.  While I don't absolve Geno, I'm not going to burn him to the ground because he hasn't fallen at the feet of the media or the fans for getting his face punched unexpectedly.  And the finance situation that placed in this situation should've been something that's handled between him and IK.  I still maintain that the full information as to why there was a fight isn't out there yet. 

first of all, pushing and shoving is considered an assault.

second, if we know ik tends to overreact in a violent manner, shouldn't geno? how could the punch be unexpected, as you say, when geno knows ik's tendency for violence, and gets up in iks face pointing an arguing? there is only 1 reason I can think of to get in someones face during a heated argument. its an aggressive act used to intimidate someone and it says "I am in your face, what are you going to do about it". really dumb people get up in other peoples face. even dumber people get up into peoples face and expect not to get hit

I guess like some others here that if he was going to make any statement at all I would have been much happier with something along the like of... "I am still upset that this episode happened in the first place and to the extent that any of my own actions contributed to the events that unfolded I am sorry about that"....

Instead we get the statements in the original post which clearly seem to indicate that he feels no degree of responsibility whatsoever and that he somehow considers himself to be the innocent victim of a totally random event like a meteorite from out space landing on him. 

Leaders take responsibility. That is what they do and this interview is another example of him not appearing to do that.

Geno is not going to be the Jets starting QB, unless it's injury related, even then it may be hold the Fort stuff.

The QB is your leader, the whole  "What you gonna do about it" stuff irked me no end, in a perverse way IK clocking the idiot pleased me. I really wanted him to make it, but not now.

I hope Petty with a year of sitting, can be our next QB.

Why continue boosting this halfwit

Why can't we just be happy to have an efficient, competent and effective quarterback at the helm, a welcome change from the previous two turnover machines?

Based on one game??? Fitz has been castoff by many an NFL team and now he is a savior?  I need a little more evidence your honor.

This is bizarre,

The team had zero choice on IK.  The fact that he was a "no name" player made cutting him easier to do.

The reactions from members of the team was almost 100% the opposite of what you described.  The initial story line from the coach was of a sucker-punch but even that one said that there was responsibility on BOTH SIDES.  The players who spoke up that day, Nick Mangold and Darrelle Revis also confirmed that there was plenty of blame to go around on BOTH SIDES.  By the way, both of these team leaders claimed not to have witnessed the event.

Over the next 24-48 hours it was pretty clear that the "sucker punch" narrative was not a fair characterization of what had actually happened in the locker room.  Multiple reports of players who were actually present gave a very different accounting of events and those accounts placed more responsibility on Geno for the events that took place.  Nobody was forgiving IK here but EVERYBODY said Geno bore some of the blame.

And then a week after all of this Brandon Marshall came out with his non-support support of Geno. 

The issue here is not that IK does not accept responsibility.  IK is gone.  He did a terrible thing and his NFL career may be at an end as a result of that.  The issue here is that Geno supporters and Geno himself have accepted (and continue to accept) ZERO RESPONSIBILITY for a situation where absolutely everyone else involved have said that Geno bears some of the blame.

Just because IK is guilty of on offense does not give Geno a free pass on his part and the fact that Geno has not done so is pretty troubling for whatever remains of his future with the Jets.

Geno, maybe. 

Finding actual Geno supporters itself being a difficult mission, even amongst that minority, it's hard to anyone who doesn't think Geno shares some blame for what happened to his face. 

Why continue boosting this halfwit

Why can't we just be happy to have an efficient, competent and effective quarterback at the helm, a welcome change from the previous two turnover machines?

Because we might not have an efficient, competent and effective quarterback for the whole season.  Not only was that one game against a weak opponent who themselves were starting a journeyman backup at QB, but our offense was sputtering until Brandon Marshall turned an interception into a first down near the goal line.  After that, Fitzpatrick played okay, but if Marshall doesn't make that extraordinary play, the game might have ended up in doubt.  Fitzpatrick's long history is doing all right for a few games, but he's not really a starting level QB.

Because we might not have an efficient, competent and effective quarterback for the whole season.  Not only was that one game against a weak opponent who themselves were starting a journeyman backup at QB, but our offense was sputtering until Brandon Marshall turned an interception into a first down near the goal line.  After that, Fitzpatrick played okay, but if Marshall doesn't make that extraordinary play, the game might have ended up in doubt.  Fitzpatrick's long history is doing all right for a few games, but he's not really a starting level QB.

That play, yes. And if McCown scores on the opening drive and stays in the game, rather than losing the football en route to being in the league's concussion protocol, the discussion might've been much different this week. 

Sucks there's no game today. :/

At some point (and we are not there yet) but at some point Geno in the #2 spot will impede the progress of Bryce Petty.

Geno has a very small window here.  Very small.

I was just thinking about that last night (sad, I know) that bryce preparing like he is the starter, preparing becuase he is one play away from getting in the game, I'm sure has been very good for him

That play, yes. And if McCown scores on the opening drive and stays in the game, rather than losing the football en route to being in the league's concussion protocol, the discussion might've been much different this week. 

Sucks there's no game today. :/

It's always fun playing the IF game.. Like if the Jets scored more points then the other team for 16 games they would have a undefeated season..:)

I was just thinking about that last night (sad, I know) that bryce preparing like he is the starter, preparing becuase he is one play away from getting in the game, I'm sure has been very good for him

Between the three of them Petty is the only one with whom I have some hope that we may find a franchise QB.  Unlike some posters who are all for throwing young QBs into the fire, I believe it is possible to ruin a QB by making him the starter too soon.

Geno has a very important job to do here if Fitz retains the starting job.  Geno (or Fitz for that matter) need to be healthy enough to make sure that Petty does not get thrown into the fire before he has learned enough to be ready for the job.

Next year at the very earliest for Petty and more probably the year after that.

Archived