Geno still "extremely" angry about punch

Furor Teutonicus

Also on the note of workplace violence.  You work in an office, and you punch another co-worker over personal finance issues (because he didn't pay into your fantasy league per say), not only would you get fired, you get charges filed against you.   Most of the justification for the punch is just because Geno Smith has been a terrible QB, so people love to pile on.  If this happened to Peyton Manning, Russel Wilson or Andrew Luck, IK would be buried underneath the stadium by now.   

And why is IK's account of it held up without suspicion?  Here's a guy that punched a cop in a bar (almost ended his football career), got suckered into a catfishing scheme with some random dude who also he punched out, enough for teams to take him completely off their draft boards, but his account and transgressions are held in high regards.  Besides speculation as to why the fight happened, how do we know the real details?   And even if we go by reports, it was stated that Geno missed the charity event because someone close to him died, and not because he was drunk at a strip club and missed his flight.  Do I think Geno could've handled this better?  Ofcourse.  But I just don't understand why no one delves into the past with IK, but brings up Geno's immaturity from the past as evidence to justify IK's actions.  

• Replies 227
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Also on the note of workplace violence.  You work in an office, and you punch another co-worker over personal finance issues (because he didn't pay into your fantasy league per say), not only would you get fired, you get charges filed against you.   Most of the justification for the punch is just because Geno Smith has been a terrible QB, so people love to pile on.  If this happened to Peyton Manning, Russel Wilson or Andrew Luck, IK would be buried underneath the stadium by now.   

And why is IK's account of it held up without suspicion?  Here's a guy that punched a cop in a bar (almost ended his football career), got suckered into a catfishing scheme with some random dude who also he punched out, enough for teams to take him completely off their draft boards, but his account and transgressions are held in high regards.  Besides speculation as to why the fight happened, how do we know the real details?   And even if we go by reports, it was stated that Geno missed the charity event because someone close to him died, and not because he was drunk at a strip club and missed his flight.  Do I think Geno could've handled this better?  Ofcourse.  But I just don't understand why no one delves into the past with IK, but brings up Geno's immaturity from the past as evidence to justify IK's actions.  

I think this is where a lot of the question marks have come about in regards to Geno's standing in the locker room.  What are the chances of an irate teammate screaming at any of those guys bolded being able to get close enough to hit them w/o somebody stepping in to defend them?  Not saying he deserved it because I wasn't there, but it's still crazy to me that there were several witnesses, yet  nobody stopped it from happening.

oh please, you know what happens.  And know that everyone who was there lied.   The airline NEVER backs the attendant.  NEVER, LOL.  I traveled all over the country on business for years, have had my fair share of b1tchy FA who just don't realize that they're air waitresses and don't know how to ask you to do something nicely.  You're pulling shlt out of your ass, calling everyone there a liar and because I am citing reports and you have the word of your wife I need to deal with it?  Your a hater who can't deal with facts.

im sorry this didn't happen to a player you like, you wouldn't in a million years be carrying on about PR moves and other nonsensical reasons why what was reported didn't happen. 

FA's are not air waitresses, especially not in a post 9-11 world.  They are the first line of defense, protecting you from an in-flight incident.  That is why disruptive passengers are "asked" to get off the plane.  In an emergency situation the flight crew are the LAST ones off the plane.  In flight, they are the law.  Give a FA a hard time in flight, federal marshals meet the plane at the destination.

I now see why you so vehemently defend this punk.  Arrogant assholes stick together.  

I have flown all over the world for business.  For many years.  I have NEVER had a problem on any flight, domestic or international.  I have seen those who do.  One trait in common.  Arrogant assholes.

Probably a good thing.  Since it's cool now to punch each other in the locker room pretty sure fit'z beard would act as an air bag and prevent a fracture. 

No ... sending mini work assignments and plays to ponder is a helpful and bright approach to get to a higher level with your offense.

Gee - No's digital offerings are of his pickle. Those won't serve to do anything positive for anyone at anytime.  

I think this is where a lot of the question marks have come about in regards to Geno's standing in the locker room.  What are the chances of an irate teammate screaming at any of those guys bolded being able to get close enough to hit them w/o somebody stepping in to defend them?  Not saying he deserved it because I wasn't there, but it's still crazy to me that there were several witnesses, yet  nobody stopped it from happening.

Well this was still in camp essentially, I don't think they were all huddled together as in pregame or post game locker rooms.  I'm guessing most people were spread around, some in office rooms, some with trainers, and the people around these two certainly didn't expect things to escalate.  You hear all these stories about how these veterans take rookies out to dinner and then have them foot 45K bills at restaurants, yet none of those guys saw it fit to punch their teammates over it either.  You are right in that, if those people got punched, IK would've gotten his ass kicked before news broke out because that derails a whole team.  Geno is unproven, I get that.  But I just don't understand how a punch is somehow justified because the player has been terrible.  I'm not saying this as a Geno defender, I'd feel the same way if Quigley gets punched, and Lord knows I wanted to do the punching myself at times with him, but there are lines you don't cross as teammates, and IK crossed it.  I can't defend the guy for that.  

Thanks for this post.

This is called being a professional and as GandWFan pointed out something that Petty can learn from!! 

IMO this level of competency is what you MUST have on your team in today's NFL if you want to seriously compete for championships.  It is why I didn't want Sanchez starting for the Jets with just one year of college experience and why I was not high on Geno with his diva seeming attitude even before he was drafted.

You can't win if you can't lead and preparation and tenacious dedication to detail is one way you can lead.

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nfl-shutdown-corner/geno-smith--175038114.html

His own words. 

Pressed on what he could have done differently, Smith rephrased his story. "I don't regret anything," he said. "I don't think I did anything wrong. You can't go back in time."

He will never get it.

Its a shame really.  All the tools and a 10 cent head.

Well this was still in camp essentially, I don't think they were all huddled together as in pregame or post game locker rooms.  I'm guessing most people were spread around, some in office rooms, some with trainers, and the people around these two certainly didn't expect things to escalate.  You hear all these stories about how these veterans take rookies out to dinner and then have them foot 45K bills at restaurants, yet none of those guys saw it fit to punch their teammates over it either.  You are right in that, if those people got punched, IK would've gotten his ass kicked before news broke out because that derails a whole team.  Geno is unproven, I get that.  But I just don't understand how a punch is somehow justified because the player has been terrible.  I'm not saying this as a Geno defender, I'd feel the same way if Quigley gets punched, and Lord knows I wanted to do the punching myself at times with him, but there are lines you don't cross as teammates, and IK crossed it.  I can't defend the guy for that.  

Strawman.  IK was wrong and dealt with.  He was immediately fired, as it should be.  He admitted culpability and publicly apologized, to Geno, to the team, and to the fans. That is not the issue at hand.

Strawman.  IK was wrong and dealt with.  He was immediately fired, as it should be.  He admitted culpability and publicly apologized, to Geno, to the team, and to the fans. That is not the issue at hand.

Ik did not apologize to Geno.  He apologized "for what happened."   The only stretch to say he apologized to Geno was that he said it was never his "intention to hurt anybody"  Strange statement after punching a guy in the face.  I usually intend to hurt people I punch in the face, but  hey.  That's just me.  I guess maybe he apologized to Geno because he apologized to "my teammates."  He's a standup guy though and Geno is a douche.  If he was on the Jets giving up the edge and tripping over his own feet as he backpedalled against Fleener you'd probably be besmirching his character too.

FA's are not air waitresses, especially not in a post 9-11 world.  They are the first line of defense, protecting you from an in-flight incident.  That is why disruptive passengers are "asked" to get off the plane.  In an emergency situation the flight crew are the LAST ones off the plane.  In flight, they are the law.  Give a FA a hard time in flight, federal marshals meet the plane at the destination.

I now see why you so vehemently defend this punk.  Arrogant assholes stick together.  

I have flown all over the world for business.  For many years.  I have NEVER had a problem on any flight, domestic or international.  I have seen those who do.  One trait in common.  Arrogant assholes.

I'm defending the story and the claim he was thrown off the plane. Still are claiming he was tossed off a plane.  Funny a plane full of passengers and none dispute the story.

Since that hat doesn't help you and your hatred of the guy I can see why people like you try to change the argument, claim I'm vehemently defending a punk.  

For me I would have to have been there to judge the incident.  What IK did was wrong obviously but other than just the money aspect how provoking was the comments from Geno?  Who actually did the finger push to the chest, I've heard it both ways.

In any case, I have a feeling based on nothing but a hunch that before all is said and done that geno will get one more chance as a starter for this team for a number of games.

For me I would have to have been there to judge the incident.  What IK did was wrong obviously but other than just the money aspect how provoking was the comments from Geno?  Who actually did the finger push to the chest, I've heard it both ways.

In any case, I have a feeling based on nothing but a hunch that before all is said and done that geno will get one more chance as a starter for this team for a number of games.

I agree but I think when Geno's didn't show IK had to explain to the kids why he wasn't there.. I understand his brothers friend was killed in a accident but to kids they must have been disappointed not to see a NFL QB at IK's charity event.. Then after Geno said OK I'll reimburse you for the ticket and didn't that just added insult to injury and really pissed off IK.. No IK shouldn't have hit him but I understand why he was mad so if Geno gave him attitude he just snapped.. smiley-face-punching.gif

this is really beating a dead horse here.

if i'm geno i don't know what's more concerning - fitz's good game vs the browns or the jets trusting petty to be the backup qb again, now that there's no guaranteed money.  petty is 1 fluky play away from playing on MNF.

No need to call Geno a dead horse dude.

this is really beating a dead horse here.

if i'm geno i don't know what's more concerning - fitz's good game vs the browns or the jets trusting petty to be the backup qb again, now that there's no guaranteed money.  petty is 1 fluky play away from playing on MNF.

Petty>>>>>>>>GeNONONO

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk

I'm defending the story and the claim he was thrown off the plane. Still are claiming he was tossed off a plane.  Funny a plane full of passengers and none dispute the story.

Since that hat doesn't help you and your hatred of the guy I can see why people like you try to change the argument, claim I'm vehemently defending a punk.  

If you speak to someone long enough, the facade comes down once in a while and you get a glimpse of who you are really dealing with.  " b1tchy FA who just don't realize that they're air waitresses" was that moment for me with you.

I will refrain from replying to your posts.  Please do the same for me.

Ik did not apologize to Geno.  He apologized "for what happened."   The only stretch to say he apologized to Geno was that he said it was never his "intention to hurt anybody"  Strange statement after punching a guy in the face.  I usually intend to hurt people I punch in the face, but  hey.  That's just me.  I guess maybe he apologized to Geno because he apologized to "my teammates."  He's a standup guy though and Geno is a douche.  If he was on the Jets giving up the edge and tripping over his own feet as he backpedalled against Fleener you'd probably be besmirching his character too.

Wow, did you throw your back out getting to "IK is a stand up guy and Geno is a douche" from what I posted?

Let me be clear.  IMO, IK is a violent douche who should not have punched Geno.  However, that is not the issue under discussion.   

Geno is ALSO a douche for allowing the situation to exist in the first place AND not learning from the unfortunate outcome by not shouldering any of the blame for what happened.

IK being a douche and Geno being a douche are not mutually exclusive.

If you speak to someone long enough, the facade comes down once in a while and you get a glimpse of who you are really dealing with.  " b1tchy FA who just don't realize that they're air waitresses" was that moment for me with you.

I will refrain from replying to your posts.  Please do the same for me.

So the line did its job.

Perfection

Busting, lighten up

Great to read that. Surprising something so positive came from Mehta. But something just occurred to me...

Does Marshall still live with Geno? Damn, that must be awkward.

*Marshall's phone goes off*

Geno: "Damn, man. ANOTHER text?"

Marshall: "Yeah, uhh, it's just my mom. Sending me another cat video. You know how mothers are."

Geno: "Yeah. Lol. Mothers be crazy with those cat videos."

Marshall looking at his phone and speaking under his breath: "Ooo, that's a good route."

Geno: "What was that?"

Marshall: "Nothing."

Great to read that. Surprising something so positive came from Mehta. But something just occurred to me...

Does Marshall still live with Geno? Damn, that must be awkward.

*Marshall's phone goes off*

Geno: "Damn, man. ANOTHER text?"

Marshall: "Yeah, uhh, it's just my Mom. Sending me another cat video. You know how mothers are."

Geno: "Yeah. Lol. Mothers be crazy with those cat videos."

Marshall looking at his phone and speaking under his breath: "Ooo, that's a good route."

Geno: "What was that?"

Marshall: "Nothing."

funny

And if he's the one that was immediately dealt with, and he was the one that was punished and admitted culpability, why defend his actions?  Clearly the team seemed to react more negatively to his actions than to Geno's actions, and I'm assuming they know more about the situation than print media.  And if people aren't defending his action, then it should mean that Geno didn't deserve to get punched.  There seem to be plenty of responses where people are upset at the lack of apology or contrition from Geno, yet he was the one that got punched and his jaw broken.   Now I know Geno is higher on the roster hierarchy than IK, but we've seen fights at camps before where people seemed to walk away plenty of times.  Infact, I think Steve Smith gets into a camp fight every year, but why did the team react so negatively to IK immediately?  Why was he thrown off the top ASAP?  I'm guessing upon whomever reported to the GM about the transgressions that went down, IK was clearly at fault, and they dealt with it, and then put a gag order on the whole thing as Marshall alluded to, saying anyone who talked about the Geno situation had to run laps.  To me, that seems like a management issue where they wanted to limit the information the public got about the whole situation to diffuse it, rather than have people come out on both sides of the issue and fuel the fire.  

And if he's the one that was immediately dealt with, and he was the one that was punished and admitted culpability, why defend his actions?  Clearly the team seemed to react more negatively to his actions than to Geno's actions, and I'm assuming they know more about the situation than print media.  And if people aren't defending his action, then it should mean that Geno didn't deserve to get punched.  There seem to be plenty of responses where people are upset at the lack of apology or contrition from Geno, yet he was the one that got punched and his jaw broken.   Now I know Geno is higher on the roster hierarchy than IK, but we've seen fights at camps before where people seemed to walk away plenty of times.  Infact, I think Steve Smith gets into a camp fight every year, but why did the team react so negatively to IK immediately?  Why was he thrown off the top ASAP?  I'm guessing upon whomever reported to the GM about the transgressions that went down, IK was clearly at fault, and they dealt with it, and then put a gag order on the whole thing as Marshall alluded to, saying anyone who talked about the Geno situation had to run laps.  To me, that seems like a management issue where they wanted to limit the information the public got about the whole situation to diffuse it, rather than have people come out on both sides of the issue and fuel the fire.  

This is bizarre,

The team had zero choice on IK.  The fact that he was a "no name" player made cutting him easier to do.

The reactions from members of the team was almost 100% the opposite of what you described.  The initial story line from the coach was of a sucker-punch but even that one said that there was responsibility on BOTH SIDES.  The players who spoke up that day, Nick Mangold and Darrelle Revis also confirmed that there was plenty of blame to go around on BOTH SIDES.  By the way, both of these team leaders claimed not to have witnessed the event.

Over the next 24-48 hours it was pretty clear that the "sucker punch" narrative was not a fair characterization of what had actually happened in the locker room.  Multiple reports of players who were actually present gave a very different accounting of events and those accounts placed more responsibility on Geno for the events that took place.  Nobody was forgiving IK here but EVERYBODY said Geno bore some of the blame.

And then a week after all of this Brandon Marshall came out with his non-support support of Geno. 

The issue here is not that IK does not accept responsibility.  IK is gone.  He did a terrible thing and his NFL career may be at an end as a result of that.  The issue here is that Geno supporters and Geno himself have accepted (and continue to accept) ZERO RESPONSIBILITY for a situation where absolutely everyone else involved have said that Geno bears some of the blame.

Just because IK is guilty of on offense does not give Geno a free pass on his part and the fact that Geno has not done so is pretty troubling for whatever remains of his future with the Jets.

Just because IK is guilty of on offense does not give Geno a free pass on his part and the fact that Geno has not done so is pretty troubling for whatever remains of his future with the Jets.

+1 As Bowles himself said; It takes 2 to tango.. For every action there is a reaction, had Geno paid up there would have been no reaction wrong as it may have been..

This is bizarre,

The team had zero choice on IK.  The fact that he was a "no name" player made cutting him easier to do.

The reactions from members of the team was almost 100% the opposite of what you described.  The initial story line from the coach was of a sucker-punch but even that one said that there was responsibility on BOTH SIDES.  The players who spoke up that day, Nick Mangold and Darrelle Revis also confirmed that there was plenty of blame to go around on BOTH SIDES.  By the way, both of these team leaders claimed not to have witnessed the event.

Over the next 24-48 hours it was pretty clear that the "sucker punch" narrative was not a fair characterization of what had actually happened in the locker room.  Multiple reports of players who were actually present gave a very different accounting of events and those accounts placed more responsibility on Geno for the events that took place.  Nobody was forgiving IK here but EVERYBODY said Geno bore some of the blame.

And then a week after all of this Brandon Marshall came out with his non-support support of Geno. 

The issue here is not that IK does not accept responsibility.  IK is gone.  He did a terrible thing and his NFL career may be at an end as a result of that.  The issue here is that Geno supporters and Geno himself have accepted (and continue to accept) ZERO RESPONSIBILITY for a situation where absolutely everyone else involved have said that Geno bears some of the blame.

I'm not saying Geno isn't to blame in this situation, there were many other ways for him to handle the situation so it didn't escalate.  However, I don't get the sentiment expressed in this thread that somehow makes it seem like he actually deserved to get his face punched in, when IK over the years has shown that he seems to overreact in a violent manner.  

How was Marshall non supportive of Geno?  

Why does the sucker punch narrative need to be true?  He got punched by his own teammate.  Should he have been expecting that?  I understand pushing and shoving, but punching is an assault.  While I don't absolve Geno, I'm not going to burn him to the ground because he hasn't fallen at the feet of the media or the fans for getting his face punched unexpectedly.  And the finance situation that placed in this situation should've been something that's handled between him and IK.  I still maintain that the full information as to why there was a fight isn't out there yet. 

Archived