Geno still "extremely" angry about punch

Furor Teutonicus

For me he tries to sound like a good teammate, but he cannot hide his disappointment and fear that his time as a starter is over. I strongly doubt the "The guys look at me as a leader"-sentence.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000532101/article/geno-smith-still-extremely-angry-about-punch

Geno Smith still 'extremely' angry about punch

It's been more than a month since the early portion of Geno Smith's season was derailed by a locker room sucker punch, and it appears he's still trying to come to terms with what happened.

Speaking to reporters Wednesday, the New York Jets quarterback voiced his frustration over being forced to the sideline as he waits for his broken jaw to heal.

"I'm extremely (angry)," said Smith, according to Newsday. "But I have to keep my temper down. I can't exhibit that in the locker room, I can't exhibit that on a daily basis. I just feel for my family more because they enjoy seeing me out there."

Smith is still at least a month away from returning from a broken jaw he suffered when Jets teammate IK Enemkpali punched him during an argument over a $600 plane ticket on Aug. 11. The Jets cut Enemkpali the same day and were forced to start the season with veteran backup Ryan Fitzpatrick under center.

Like many quarterbacks whose starting jobs aren't on sturdy ground, Smith seems perturbed that his convalescing might be creaking open the door for Fitzpatrick to remain the Jets' starter. In Sunday's 31-10 win over the Cleveland Browns, Fitzpatrick posted ho-hum numbers, but that didn't stop Smith from re-evaluating where he might stand in the team's leadership hierarchy.

"You know what? I'm on the team. The guys look at me as a leader," Smith said. "Whether it's my team or not, it's Woody's team. It's coach Bowles' team. And it's a trickle-down effect.

"You want to say, 'OK, it's Fitz's team?' But that's kind of pinning me and him against each other," Smith continued. "We're all in this thing together. It's a collective bond, and it was that way when I was projected the starter and when I got hurt it was that way. And right now it's the same way. ... I'm in a different position now, so you've got to be realistic about things."

Ultimately, Smith understands focusing on his health is the best way for him to hasten his return and reassure his on-field leadership role. He said he has had plenty of support from coach Todd Bowles and his teammates during his rehabilitation. Although he remains confident in his credentials as a starter, Smith said he feels vulnerable about decisions that could potentially affect his role on the team.

"If I was playing bad and got benched, that's on me," Smith said. "But for something like that to happen, it's like ... what can you do? You've just got to, kind of, weather the storm and move on from there."

• Replies 227
  • Created
  • Last Reply

"If I was playing bad and got benched, that's on me," Smith said. "But for something like that to happen, it's like ... what can you do? 

This kid will never get it....you be a f#cking man, keep your word, and avoid being in situations like that...THATS WHATS YOU CAN DO! Ugh, talk about an unlikable character.

This kid will never get it....you be a f#cking man, keep your word, and avoid being in situations like that...THATS WHATS YOU CAN DO! Ugh, talk about an unlikable character.

"If I was playing bad and got benched, that's on me," Smith said. "But for something like that to happen, it's like ... what can you do?

+1.   This tells you right there that he learned nothing from this whole situation.  Really a shame actually.

I'm not sure why he's giving interviews, it does him no good.    

On the other hand, what do people want him to say?  "I'm glad I got punched in the jaw, lost my job, and now won't really get a chance to prove myself in what was essentially a contract year for me?"  I think a lot of times, his bad play on the field forces people to be critical of everything the guy does.  Perfect example is Jets West with Sanchez.  When it first came out, and the team was winning and he showed potential, everyone lapped that up like some kind of leadership breakthrough and how we haven't had a leader in so many years, yet once it failed, the story turned to how it was basically just hanging out and doing nothing.   On the field, Geno has been bad, but I can't blame him for being angry and getting punched, that's just a natural reaction.  

He should be. IK essentially ended his career. Geno will never start another game for the Jets and I'd be surprised if he's on the team next season.

Geno is bad for a locker room and I wouldn't be opposed to cutting him right now. Fitz is the man until Petty is ready to play.

I was rooting for Geno over Fitz in the offseason.  I really wanted to see what Geno could do in his 3rd year with some better weapons.  I thought he had a chance to make a big leap (it's easier when you're so bad the first 2 years).  I think he has a lot more potential than Fitz.  

But now that he lost his job the only way he gets it back is if Fitz sucks and/or the Jets are losing.  So here's to Geno never seeing the field this year!  

Cue jetnut (Geno mom) to defend this clown.   

Dude just has no clue how to carry himself and lead other men 

You seem to be unable to distinguish between something like he's got a chance, played better after his b nothing and he was outplaying Fitz at the time with defending someone.  That's on you, not a defense.  

"You know what? I'm on the team. The guys look at me as a leader," Smith said. "Whether it's my team or not, it's Woody's team. It's coach Bowles' team. And it's a trickle-down effect.

HA HA HA HA  They look at him as a leader???????????

that's what Darryl strawberry said in 1985 hahaha 

You seem to be unable to distinguish between something like he's got a chance, played better after his b nothing and he was outplaying Fitz at the time with defending someone.  That's on you, not a defense.  

+1 people here seem more concerned with gossip and drama than playing actual football 

Geno has every right to be angry.  This fan base can be ridiculous.

This guy gets punched in the face, by a massive defensive linemen - and, some how, some way...our fans find a way to make it his fault...IK was the victim.

Does he have some fault in the situation? sure - People have disagreements, people argue, but people shouldn't go around punching others in the face.  The fans and media in this town have made Geno out to be the bad guy here and that's entirely unfair.

This guy gets punched in the face, by a massive defensive linemen - and, some how, some way...our fans find a way to make it his fault...IK was the victim.

Does he have some fault in the situation? sure - People have disagreements, people argue, but people shouldn't go around punching others in the face.  The fans and media in this town have made Geno out to be the bad guy here and that's entirely unfair.

Agreed. Unfortunately, we have a pretty crap fan base that roots for their own players to get their jaws broken. Whether we are ultimately a better team because we have Fitz over Geno is up for debate but I was confident in Gailey/Bowles starting the best QB for game 1 anyway. 

Either way, the NFL is a long season and Geno may get his chance at redemption. 

Was just thinking about him, Gooden etc... on top of the world one minute, the toilet the next.

Had they put say $1 million aside in 1985 when they were at the top they'd be set for life right now. But no....

if only you were their financial advisor back then... If only 

Agreed. Unfortunately, we have a pretty crap fan base that roots for their own players to get their jaws broken. Whether we are ultimately a better team because we have Fitz over Geno is up for debate but I was confident in Gailey/Bowles starting the best QB for game 1 anyway. 

Either way, the NFL is a long season and Geno may get his chance at redemption. 

Agree....Like it or not, at some point during this season Geno is going to start.  and I'm looking forward to seeing what he can do.  I don't love the guy either, but Gaily seemed to be high on him...

Nobody is claiming IK is a victim. There are two idiots in that situation.

There is no excuse for Geno to get punched over $600 even if he is mouthing off at IK about it but OTOH the way Geno apparently handled the situation then or after does not help his position that he is a team leader.

This was not a nancy kerigan type of attack.  Where he was walking to his locker and got blindsided.  He was having an argument over a situation that he created and could have ended very easily.  And he pissed of a "massive defensive linemen" enough for him to punch him in the face.  No IK is not innocent by any means but neither is Geno.  And Geno is supposed to be the man in a position of power in the locker room.  He is the one with the most to lose.  So whether he likes it or not, he needs to be the bigger man a settle this before it gets out of control.  It is called personal responsibility.  A dying word these days unfortunately.

Let see what this cost IK.  He may or may not have made the team anyway and made the rookie min.

Geno may or may not have been the starting qb for the Jets for the next 10 years and made millions.

Who lost out more?

If he is not smart enough to realize all this, then he is not the man I want leading my team.

Answer this.  Lets assume that this didn't happen yet and we didn't have fitz on the team.  Lets also assume that geno lit it up all season and has a pro bowl level year and we make it all the way to the super bowl.  And then this exact same situation happens.  Are you still going to think there is nothing Geno could have done to avoid the situation?

Nobody is claiming IK is a victim. There are two idiots in that situation.

There is no excuse for Geno to get punched over $600 even if he is mouthing off at IK about it but OTOH the way Geno apparently handled the situation then or after does not help his position that he is a team leader.

Yes, there are two people to blame in the situation but they're being treated as if both were equally wrong.  They are not even close.

In fact this sentence sums it up. If you're a true leader, you don't have to clarify that you're the leader. You just be the leader.

For me, it shows that Geno's already bitter. Not a good sign - especially for leadership.

Yes, there are two people to blame in the situation but they're being treated as if both were equally wrong.  They are not even close.

Really? I don't see anybody making an equivalence argument. IK is gone; Geno isn't. We still have to live with Geno's effect on the team and that's why people spend more time talking about Geno than IK.

This was not a nancy kerigan type of attack.  Where he was walking to his locker and got blindsided.  He was having an argument over a situation that he created and could have ended very easily.  And he pissed of a "massive defensive linemen" enough for him to punch him in the face.  No IK is not innocent by any means but neither is Geno.  And Geno is supposed to be the man in a position of power in the locker room.  He is the one with the most to lose.  So whether he likes it or not, he needs to be the bigger man a settle this before it gets out of control.  It is called personal responsibility.  A dying word these days unfortunately.

Let see what this cost IK.  He may or may not have made the team anyway and made the rookie min.

Geno may or may not have been the starting qb for the Jets for the next 10 years and made millions.

Who lost out more?

If he is not smart enough to realize all this, then he is not the man I want leading my team.

Answer this.  Lets assume that this didn't happen yet and we didn't have fitz on the team.  Lets also assume that geno lit it up all season and has a pro bowl level year and we make it all the way to the super bowl.  And then this exact same situation happens.  Are you still going to think there is nothing Geno could have done to avoid the situation?

I love how you guys are able to determine what happened from sketchy, conflicting non-eyewitness reports mostly received 3rd and 4th hand.  I'm sure that you feel that the Kraken's girlfriend was asking for it.

There is exponentially more angst in this thread regarding Geno's plight than there was in Geno's own locker room. 

I agree.  This is no big deal in the lockers.  It happened and it is over.  If the team thinks Geno is the best QB, you can bet he is the leader.  Leadership qualities or not.  If they think he isn't, he isn't.  Talent talks.

There is exponentially more angst in this thread regarding Geno's plight than there was in Geno's own locker room. 

We have some folks still desperately hanging onto their franchise QB lottery ticket no matter how unlikely it is to become a winner given what we already know about Geno.

Rudy! Rudy! Rudy!

Or some such

I love how you guys are able to determine what happened from sketchy, conflicting non-eyewitness reports mostly received 3rd and 4th hand.  I'm sure that you feel that the Kraken's girlfriend was asking for it.

I agree.  This is no big deal in the lockers.  It happened and it is over.  If the team thinks Geno is the best QB, you can bet he is the leader.  Leadership qualities or not.  If they think he isn't, he isn't.  Talent talks.

And he pissed of a "massive defensive linemen" enough for him to punch him in the face

You dont need to be there to figure this part out.  The broken jaw is confirmation of that.

Archived