Will Colts get Bullied by Jets?

GREENBEAN

Good article. Calling Fitz the Amish Rifle is brilliant. :D

The New York Jets and Indianapolis Colts enter Monday night in two different head spaces.

The Jets took care of business in Week 1 against the Browns, getting off to a 1-0 start for the fifth straight season. All is well at Bowles Manor, and you can expect a loose, confident team hitting the field at Lucas Oil Stadium.

The Colts, meanwhile, are still smarting after a decisive loss to the Bills that looks even worse after thePatriots went into Orchard Park and hung a 40-burger on the same Rex Ryan defense that flummoxedAndrew Luck & Co. The Colts successfully dug themselves out of an 0-2 hole last season, but that doesn't mean they want to have to do again.

Here's what we'll be watching for tonight:

1. The Colts got pushed around by the Bills, the latest evidence Indianapolis struggles against physical teams. Last week on the Around The NFL Podcast, Chris Wesseling compared New York's top receivers -- Brandon Marshall and Eric Decker -- to a pair of power forwards. Chris Ivory, meanwhile, did his best Beast Mode impression against the Browns, running through tackle after tackle. Translation: The Colts could get bullied again.

VIDEO LOADING

WE'RE SORRY, BUT THIS VIDEO IS NOT AVAILABLE.
WATCH MORE VIDEOS
REPLAY

Elliot and Akbar's Week 2 Preview
watermark.png

gif;base64,R0lGODlhAQABAIAAAAAAAAAAACH5B

2. Ryan Fitzpatrick gave the Jetsexactly what they were looking for in Week 1. He played smart, limited his mistakes and looked supremely comfortable in Chan Gailey's offense. The question remains how the Amish Rifle will fare if the Jets fall behind and he needs to lead the team back. This scenario is certainly possible on the road against a stud quarterback.

3. We'll be curious to see how Andre Johnson looks. The seven-time Pro Bowler looked slow in his Colts debut on Sunday, fueling speculation he's no longer a difference-maker at age 34. If the Jets use Darrelle Revis in coverage against Johnson -- a real possibility -- Johnson could be looking at another pedestrian performance.

4. The Colts have issues at cornerback. There's no problem at the top, where Vontae Davis -- who hasn't allowed a passing touchdown since 2013 -- will likely square off with Jets No. 1 receiver Brandon Marshall. After that, things get dicey for Chuck Pagano. His second and third cornerbacks (Greg Tolerand Darius Butler) are both out with injuries. Look out for a potential big night from Eric Decker, who played a lot in the slot against the Browns.

5. T.Y. Hilton (knee) is listed as questionable, but NFL Media Insider Ian Rapoport reported the wideout will play. It will be interesting to see if Todd Bowles uses Revis to cover the Colts' top playmaker. In January's AFC title game, Bill Belichick had Revis lock down the opposite side of the field and successfully minimized Hilton using second corner coverage and safety help over the top. We could see the Jets employ similar strategy tonight.

Every time the other team has big problems at a position the jets totally fail to take advantage.  We have played teams with horrible injured secondaries before, we have played teams on their 3rd string oline and have failed.

Don't turn the ball over on offense.

Don't let Luck run very often.

Two very simple keys.

I remember Hackett doing that all the time.  Opponent has last-ranked run defense?  Let's throw it 40 times.  Weak secondary?  Time to roll out the running backs.  Schotty did it a time or two as well IIRC.

How is their cornerback situation all that much worse than ours? Sure, they lack depth, but Davis on Marshall, Revis on Hilton is a wash. Then we'll go Walls with help on Johnson and they'll go 4th corner with help on Decker.

Walls on Johnson?  I'm thinking it's going to be combo of Williams and Skrine on Johnson with McDougle and Walls behind them.  Actually saw a tweet earlier today saying Walls wouldn't play.  Then the fact that we're much deeper at WR as Hilton is banged up and Johnson didn't look good at all last week.  Huge advantage to the Jets.  If Devin Smith gets some reps he'll probably be facing a safety or 5th CB.

How is their cornerback situation all that much worse than ours? Sure, they lack depth, but Davis on Marshall, Revis on Hilton is a wash. Then we'll go Walls with help on Johnson and they'll go 4th corner with help on Decker.

Because of injuries, the football players they have starting are not as good as the football players we will be starting.  

How is their cornerback situation all that much worse than ours? Sure, they lack depth, but Davis on Marshall, Revis on Hilton is a wash. Then we'll go Williams* with help on Johnson and they'll go 4th corner with help on Deck

What? The Jets are loaded at cornerback. They also have much better receivers than Indianapolis.

Chan Gailey strikes me as an OC that like to poke away at something before he strikes, but he's not afraid to open up the offense when the time is right. 

Bowles doesn't play scared, I'm positive Chans got a really long leash. He's incredibly respected in this league. If Indy is missing their 2nd & 3rd CB, your talking UDFAs trying to stop Decker, Enunwa, Kerley, hopefully Smith. The other side of having backup CBs is having to take on our RBs when they break into the secondary.

I'm hoping Gailey goes after those untested CBs, I'd rather go down SWINGING!

We played to our strengths last week, tried to make the other offense one dimensional, played hard and smart, stayed aggressive in the second half, and yes, for the first time in a long time, adjusted (particularly on defense) at half time.  If the jet's don't open up the running game by taking advantage of the mismatches in a depleted secondary, I will be very disappointed...

Not at all. Colts are a great team and last week was bs. Don't overreact to one week guys its stupid.  Colts have insane talent on offense and will get Mathis back tonight most likely.   Johnson/ Gore/  Hilton/ Moncrief/ Dorsett... we will have a tough time. I would not be shocked if Colts blow us out 40 - 10.

How is their cornerback situation all that much worse than ours? Sure, they lack depth, but Davis on Marshall, Revis on Hilton is a wash. Then we'll go Williams* with help on Johnson and they'll go 4th corner with help on Deck

I think Owusu, Kerley and Enunwa will be too much for the bottom portion of their depleted secondary though. 

At least that's what I'm hoping.

Archived