2016 Mets Thread!

adb280z

10 minutes ago, RutgersJetFan said:

Say what you may about Terry Collins but the man has a sense of humor. Tolo is listed as eligible as a pinch hitter today.

I know he makes questionable in-game decisions, but I've always felt TC had the perfect personality for this job.  Personally I love the guy, and after having been able to meet him in person, like him even more.  From a "big picture" perspective he's been great here.  I prefer that over a great tactician who has a terrible personality. 

• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
30 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

I know he makes questionable in-game decisions, but I've always felt TC had the perfect personality for this job.  Personally I love the guy, and after having been able to meet him in person, like him even more.  From a "big picture" perspective he's been great here.  I prefer that over a great tactician who has a terrible personality. 

Completely agree. I think he's a very average in-game manager and his decisions drive me nuts sometimes, but it's hard to deny the job he did in keeping the locker room together last year through a really brutal summer. Plus the way he handles both Alderson and NY media is priceless.

Also silver lining of Matz missing his next start is that it's in Colorado, and with the way this team scores that's the perfect ballpark for any of our arms getting some rest.

Wouldn't be surprised if the Mets keep up the overly cautious routine well into next week with everyone like they've been doing. They have 6 games against the Nats coming up over the next two weeks and every single game between us and them for the entire season are going to be like playoff games.

1 hour ago, RutgersJetFan said:

http://i.ytimg.com/vi/s7KTdyORmH0/0.jpg

Man of his word. Matt Sassi said if Bartolo Colon EVER hit a home run, he would get a tattoo to commemorate it. Well, now Matt Sassi has himself a Bartolo Colon tattoo >> http://atmlb.com/1qgPDsn

7 minutes ago, faba said:

Man of his word. Matt Sassi said if Bartolo Colon EVER hit a home run, he would get a tattoo to commemorate it. Well, now Matt Sassi has himself a Bartolo Colon tattoo >> http://atmlb.com/1qgPDsn

I saw that. Normally I think these things are incredibly dumb but that's honestly a pretty great tattoo. You can sport that the rest of your life and that's gonna get you a high five everywhere.

1 hour ago, SenorGato said:

It's fun to point out that Syndergaard and Colon both have hit more HRs than Jason Heyward this year. 

Thor would also be 2nd on the Braves team in HRs on the season. 

On May 9, 2016 at 2:57 PM, 32EBoozer said:

A Topps baseball card honoring Bartolo Colon's improbable home run shattered sales records:

CiCpN0WXAAELhf7.jpg

What is the explanation for this Bartolo card selling for $60± ea on ebay but Thor's card stays basically at face value?

When was the last time a pitcher hit two HRs and knocked in all his teams runs to win? 

1 hour ago, jetrider said:

What is the explanation for this Bartolo card selling for $60± ea on ebay but Thor's card stays basically at face value?

When was the last time a pitcher hit two HRs and knocked in all his teams runs to win? 

Barts a borderline HoF pitcher.... Thor is in his 2nd year.

1st and most likely only HR for a 19 yr. vet. Thor will probably hit another dozen in his carrer.

Just spitballin' here.

Is Bart a "cult hero" persona??

The thing about Matt Harvey is: we all can see that so far he is not an elite pitcher this season. Do you think (and this is a question not a statment) that Boras was right last Oct. and we should have either shut him down or limited his innings a lot more than we did. In other words during the regular season they should have kept him to a strict inning count and skipped starts going into the playoffs. It's easy to say now because the Mets actually didn't know at the time they would go so deep into the post season. And hard to shut a guy down when you're in the WS. LIke a lot of you I'm not a fan of Boras but was he right?

33 minutes ago, Rangers9 said:

The thing about Matt Harvey is: we all can see that so far he is not an elite pitcher this season. Do you think (and this is a question not a statment) that Boras was right last Oct. and we should have either shut him down or limited his innings a lot more than we did. In other words during the regular season they should have kept him to a strict inning count and skipped starts going into the playoffs. It's easy to say now because the Mets actually didn't know at the time they would go so deep into the post season. And hard to shut a guy down when you're in the WS. LIke a lot of you I'm not a fan of Boras but was he right?

I think Harvey needs to back off his social schedule a bit and focus more on his overall fitness level. I think he relied on his genetics, and he needs to take his craft more seriously at this point at all levels.

52 minutes ago, BowlesMovement said:

I think Harvey needs to back off his social schedule a bit and focus more on his overall fitness level. I think he relied on his genetics, and he needs to take his craft more seriously at this point at all levels.

He's coming off of an ACL and sometimes it take 2 years to fully recover. I don't want to give Boras any credit but considering what we're seeing so far (he's ok but not elite) it probably has a lot to do with his health not his partying. Look, he's a young guy and dates a lot of girls. And good looking ones, too. I don't begrudge him any of that. I mean Jeter did it and he managed his on the field responsibilities. My take on Matt is even though he's a bit of a hard ass he isn't stupid in terms of conditioning and being ready on game day. I don't think of him as an irresponsible party animal. As for his persona, he's not my favorite guy on the team. . 

4 hours ago, BowlesMovement said:

I might have been seeing things last night but to me he looked like he dropped some weight. When the season started he looked a little husky to me. Might have just been the uniform, I dunno.

Also this is going to sound corny AF but I really just think it's mental with him. You see the look on his face this year and the intensity just isn't there. When he gave up the lead in the 5th I swear his eyes welled up a little bit. The look on his face was just pure frustration. Never used to see that with him.

Also him getting scored for earned runs on those first two last night was complete horsesh*t. That was an error by Conforto no doubt.

Archived