No more talk of 2 AFC Championship games

southparkcpa

Thats interesting...  I forgot about all the "bad years" the Panthers have had.  Again, I run a NY JETS fan club here and I am known as a BIG JETS fan.  I however admire what the panthers are doing. 

I know you're a big Jets fan and I am also rooting for the Panthers to win this year. Its easy to get caught up in the hysteria when you're in the city as you are.

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

What's funny is that if they win next week, they'll have more playoff wins than us in that time frame.

The NFC has not had the same caliber of qb's as the AFC in that time frame.  Much easier to advance. Pro Football Talk had an article yesterday that stated in the last 16 AFC championship games, Brady, Manning and the rapist have played in 13.

I laugh at people who call Flacco "average".

It's not a criticism.  He's average every season but elevates his play once he reaches the postseason.  The Ravens once won a Super Bowl with Trent Dilfer as a QB, so it's very clear that is an organization that does a good job finding solid players at all 22 spots on the field.  The QB is a part of it, but not the only driver to their success unlike a lot of other successful teams these days.

Flacco is average.  The real eyeball test shows he is average, many of his big plays in the playoffs?  He was just hurling passes up in one in one coverage and having the likes of Boldin win the battle for the ball.  He signed that huge overvalued contract, team had to shed talent and now look at them.  Did he lift that team up and carry them to respectability?  No.

He has a similar stat line to Good ole Fitz.  As shown with fitz, give him a decent run game and a couple of difference making wr and a none jag defense and he got results.

Crazy people are calling FLacco a average qb.

He's made the playoffs 6 of his 8 years in the NFL, threw 11 td's to no picks in his super bowl run, has won a super bowl, has a cannon arm and is one of the only qb's in the AFC who actually can lead his team to have a chance to beat the likes of the Pats and Denver.

If Flacco is average I wonder what fitztrashbag is.

Flacco is average.  The real eyeball test shows he is average, many of his big plays in the playoffs?  He was just hurling passes up in one in one coverage and having the likes of Boldin win the battle for the ball.  He signed that huge overvalued contract, team had to shed talent and now look at them.  Did he lift that team up and carry them to respectability?  No.

He has a similar stat line to Good ole Fitz.  As shown with fitz, give him a decent run game and a couple of difference making wr and a none jag defense and he got results.

Do those results include throwing away four games? and costing the Jets the game against Buffalo?

Do those results include throwing away four games? and costing the Jets the game against Buffalo?

Jets were 10-6 in a normal year good enough to make the playoffs and as good of a record o better than a number of nfl playoff teams this year.  That is why Ftiz is 'average' if he wasn't then we would have been 13-3 and had home field advantege in the playoffs.

Crazy people are calling FLacco a average qb.

He's made the playoffs 6 of his 8 years in the NFL, threw 11 td's to no picks in his super bowl run, has won a super bowl, has a cannon arm and is one of the only qb's in the AFC who actually can lead his team to have a chance to beat the likes of the Pats and Denver.

delete

Case closed. The Panthers are not a better franchise because they're in an incredibly easy division. When the Panthers get blown out by the Pats then maybe these fairweather Panther fans can see what the Jets have had to deal with every season for the last 15 years.

Pats will not blow out the Panthers.

They are too good on both sides of the football.

Pats win by 3.

MODS - I propose we BAN any poster who talks about our 2 AFC runs again.:D

If time has shown anything, its that good teams don't care about championship conference games.

Look at the teams that have been there more than 2 times in the past 10-12 years or so.

Steelers, Pats, GB, Denver, Giants  All SB winners.

You think those teams brag about conference championship wins?

Look at the Panthers, a "virgin" franchise in 1995 and they have had more success than the JETS. 

Why?  management. Team is owned by a real football man.  About 5 years ago, he dismissed his 2 sons from the team.

I know..we will hear the "you need a QB cry" but over 25 years, we haven't had one.  That's on management too.

QB is most important we all agree.

Drafting and player development is 2. We have been below average here.

Lets pray Mac and Bowles are the real deal or we will be in this situation for the next 5 years.

can we atleast talk about the 45 afc championships games that the jets didnt play in? 

Rex guaranteed a Super Bowl and fell short after 6 years, with the franchise moving backwards each year.  Bowles came in promising steady growth, and displayed it in 1 year. 

He could be another in a long line of coaching failures for us.  But while we have enough evidence to say Rex sucks and always pretty much has, we cannot say that yet about Bowles.

Trophies or gtfo.

One of the rare times I guessed right on a college QB.  He just priced himself out of a competitive team.   Too bad there isn't a way for a franchise  QB to have a low cap hit and stil get money from the team.  

You mean, like a player possibly setting up a company that your team could use as a business?  To where the team uses this business and a separate form of cash flow is generated from the team to the player?   Maybe for a like a body coach or something like that?  Is that what you mean? 

All the talk about Flacco being average....  IF he is average, mathematically he is at or near the 16th best QB in the league.

Average would be basically 15-17.

Are there 15 QB's you would take before him?  Maybe but under that test, he appears to be slightly better than average.

You mean, like a player possibly setting up a company that your team could use as a business?  To where the team uses this business and a separate form of cash flow is generated from the team to the player?   Maybe for a like a body coach or something like that?  Is that what you mean? 

Not cheating that obviously.  something more subtle.

Pats will not blow out the Panthers.

They are too good on both sides of the football.

Pats win by 3.

Pretty sure all of the Pats SB wins were by 3.  And considering there was cheating involved, that easily could've been the difference.  So let's not forget that.

Not cheating that obviously.  something more subtle.

Gotcha.  It was just a thought.  Not that a team is doing that or anything.  Because that would be really bad.  Like, a horrible cheating scandal that should have serious ramifications.  The NFL really wouldnt want to have that type of illegal activity hanging over their heads.  Could you imagine if it was the Pats doing this, with all their prior transgressions?  I mean, the league wouldnt care and just change the rules accordingly but still. 

Gotcha.  It was just a thought.  Not that a team is doing that or anything.  Because that would be really bad.  Like, a horrible cheating scandal that should have serious ramifications.  The NFL really wouldnt want to have that type of illegal activity hanging over their heads.  Could you imagine if it was the Pats doing this, with all their prior transgressions?  I mean, the league wouldnt care and just change the rules accordingly but still. 

That would be cause for a serious slap on the wrist!

Not on Commissioner Goodells watch pal.

This is so much more than REX.  Its 45 years of frustration. Assume we limit it to just Woody...this team still does not follow the pattern of teams that succeed.

I am however, upbeat with our new GM. 

You need to let go.  Complaint about Rex etc doesn't change tthe last 45 years of frustration.  

There is nothing that we do as a team under Woody that doesn't follow a pattern of success.    Other than babe was too patient with Tanny and then Rex

This is so much more than REX.  Its 45 years of frustration. Assume we limit it to just Woody...this team still does not follow the pattern of teams that succeed.

I am however, upbeat with our new GM. 

we have been one of the better AFC teams since Woody took over.  we trail Pitt, NE, Ind, Bal but after that we are right there and unlike those teams we never had a long term franchise QB. 

He's average, but displayed the ability to elevate his play.  But he's definitely not on the level of Brady, Manning or Ben.  He was the worst AFC QB to win a title since Trent Dilfer for those very same Ravens.

a god awful Ben won a SB playing like dog shlt.  Granted he got batter latter but up to the point when he won and the way he played in that win he has Flacco beat.  If you get what I mean.

You need to let go.  Complaint about Rex etc doesn't change tthe last 45 years of frustration.  

There is nothing that we do as a team under Woody that doesn't follow a pattern of success.    Other than babe was too patient with Tanny and then Rex

I simply want better management decisions.  I think we are there NOW.

a god awful Ben won a SB playing like dog shlt.  Granted he got batter latter but up to the point when he won and the way he played in that win he has Flacco beat.  If you get what I mean.

Ben was terrible in the SB but he was GREAT in the 3 road AFC playoff games to help them reach the SB.  people forget that.

Average.  Which is why it's equal crazy talk to suggest there's no universe where we can win a Super Bowl with Fitz.  Of course we can.  He had a 5-game stretch last year where he threw 13 TD's and 1 pick.  Granted, the competition level wasn't up to par with a playoff schedule.  But if he elevates his play similar to that and the rest of the team responds in kind....why not?

Average.  Which is why it's equal crazy talk to suggest there's no universe where we can win a Super Bowl with Fitz.  Of course we can.  He had a 5-game stretch last year where he threw 13 TD's and 1 pick.  Granted, the competition level wasn't up to par with a playoff schedule.  But if he elevates his play similar to that and the rest of the team responds in kind....why not?

Fitz isn't half the QB Flacco is.  please stop.

awesome 5 game wins streak but what happened in the biggest game against an inferior team?  is it realistic to expect Fitz to play as well or better next year? 

Personally I thought the 2 AFCCG appearances were out the door the second Rex left.  I never think about it.  Are there people who really still dwell on this???

Peyton Manning is at the end of the line.  Tom Brady will be 40 at the start of the 2017 season.  Roethlisberger will be 35 at the start of 2017 and he takes a LOT of hits.  We appear to have a top flight HC-GM combo in Bowles and Maccagnan.  We need to start thinking bigger than the AFCCG.

Archived