Noah Spence runs a 4.80 Just dropped back out of 1st

32EBoozer

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000639754/article/gm-i-dont-know-if-i-can-trust-nfl-draft-prospect-noah-spence

INDIANAPOLIS -- Noah Spence's spectacular performance the week of the Reese's Senior Bowl made him a much hotter prospect for the 2016 NFL Draft, but his performance at the 2016 NFL Scouting Combine has cooled things for the former Eastern Kentucky star.

Already facing difficult questions about his history with drugs, Spence ran a disappointing 4.80 40-yard dash on Sunday -- fast enough for a bigger defensive lineman, but not what NFL scouts would have hoped for from an edge rusher like Spence (6-foot-2, 254 pounds).

"Perhaps now we can stop the narrative that he's going to be a first-round pick," an NFL source told NFL Media's Kimberly Jones, with another adding he "didn't see anything special."

According to Jones, multiple clubs thought Spence's interviews were "very shaky." That doesn't bode well for a player who had to convince teams that his failed drug tests are behind him.

In other drills, Spence's 35-inch vertical jump was just a half-inch off the pace for his position (Oklahoma State's Emmanuel Ogbah, 35.5), but overall, Sunday was something of a momentum killer for Spence's evaluation.

"What kind of explosion does (Spence) have versus Khalil Mack, who lit it up here (at the combine), andVon Miller, who lit it up here, and then lit up the NFL? His 35-inch (vertical) was in the ballpark, but his broad jump hasn't been, and I thought his 40 was disappointing," said NFL Media draft expert Mike Mayock on NFL Network. "4.8? I thought he'd be somewhere between 4.65 and 4.7. It will be interesting to see if he can improve that."

In a draft that is much deeper with defensive tackle prospects than edge rushers, Spence has a better chance to maintain first-round status because there is less draft competition for his role.

"When you look at the Super Bowl and (conference) championship games, it was pass rush. You have to have a pass rush, guys who can win one-on-one matchups. He's got that unique ability to win one-on-one matchups," an NFL general manager told Jones, who then asked if Spence is trustworthy.

"I don't know yet," the GM said.

More than likely, Spence will run again at Eastern Kentucky's pro day in hopes of improving his time. But with the EKU pro day scheduled for March 4, he doesn't have much time to train further.

1 minute ago, JoJoTownsell1 said:

He plays much faster than that.  But it definitely hurts his stock considering his other baggage.  He's shaping up to be alot like vontez  burrfect.  Head case.  Doesn't do well at combine.  Will be a steal for a team but will also drive that team nuts.

He had a great week at the Senior Bowl, but if I'm a GM and he posts a 4.8 my 1st thought is "Has he been partying/Out late"?

2nd rd. I might pull the trigger.... 1st rd. "no" 

Combine used to be to see if guys were in shape now they are using it to predetermine if a guy is going to be a good player or not.  

This is foolishness run wild IMO.  There my be a host of reasons why a guy runs one time slower than expected.  Has anyone run track out here?  Then you know that second tier track starts might often have an outliner or two regarding speed.  The elite tracks starsrarely do but then again that is why they are elite. 

People put way too much stock into 40 times. For a player who is on the fringe it is understandable, but for someone that has already proven that they can play fast, you can pretty much throw the 40 out the window. That said, I don't want Spence anyway.

28 minutes ago, BurnleyJet said:

Good, game speed and track speed two diffrent things. So many great players ran slow 40's at the combine. It puts us in play.

Klecko  when asked about his 40 time said;If the QB played 40 yds behind the LOS I wouldn't get many sacks..:)

It isn't about his 40 time... it's about the baggage ADDED to his 40 time.

Does Randy Gregory jump out at anyone?

Goodell will have zero tolerance with this young man when you consider his problems at the college level.

Do you really want to risk this with your #1 pick?

Justin Blackmon, Josh Gordon etc. etc.

4 hours ago, Charlie Brown said:

Combine used to be to see if guys were in shape now they are using it to predetermine if a guy is going to be a good player or not.  

This is foolishness run wild IMO.  There my be a host of reasons why a guy runs one time slower than expected.  Has anyone run track out here?  Then you know that second tier track starts might often have an outliner or two regarding speed.  The elite tracks starsrarely do but then again that is why they are elite. 

Yeah I agree. I don't think the combine has no value, but it isn't the end-all. If he's got (or develops) quick instincts and just knows where to go & digests what he sees and jumps to the ball super fast, it's more useful than having a 40 time 0.2 seconds faster where everyone's running perfectly straight lines in gym shorts in a controlled setting where there are no surprises.

If they're low talent guys, or players who never really faced decent competition, then you have to use something as a measuring stick. For top talent? Meh. I've seen it mean nothing too many times to get excited one way or the other by combine results.

26 minutes ago, 32EBoozer said:

It isn't about his 40 time... it's about the baggage ADDED to his 40 time.

Does Randy Gregory jump out at anyone?

Goodell will have zero tolerance with this young man when you consider his problems at the college level.

Do you really want to risk this with your #1 pick?

Justin Blackmon, Josh Gordon etc. etc.

You missed our own Sheldon Richardson. He is worth the risk, just not with our 1st rounder. I hope he plummets like Burfect and we snag him in a later round. He will be a great player.........for as long as he able to stay on the field. 

2 hours ago, Gas2No99 said:

All the more likely Kid-E drops to us and we get one of the few LEGIT Pass Rushers in the '16 draft. 

It's ALL IN THE GAME TAPE.

as Tony Montana stated: "It's all in the Tape, Chico . . . 

tumblr_mqf9affLJt1rwnbtco3_500.png

Yeah that's what they said about Jarvis jones too 

1 hour ago, JoJoTownsell1 said:

You missed our own Sheldon Richardson. He is worth the risk, just not with our 1st rounder. I hope he plummets like Burfect and we snag him in a later round. He will be a great player.........for as long as he able to stay on the field. 

I purposely left Sheldon out (not to jinx him)

"...for as long as he able to stay on the field." ......... This!

4 hours ago, Charlie Brown said:

Exactly, and teams will get private workout times or a pro day time out of him. 

33 minutes ago, Matt39 said:

Gholston didnt test all that well in the relevant metrics for pass rushers.

Let me have my fun; I don't follow this crap. OK fine then. I should have posted Aaron Maybin's picture. Or the Bowling Ball. Or any number of guys whose "metrics" were there and they just sucked at football (or had no fire, or were junkies, or whatever). 

If the Jets are going to compete for a title any time soon, they're going to need to luck into the elite pass rusher and a quarterback, and when you're picking those positions outside of the top ten, you're taking a flawed prospect regardless. Better to risk the pick on a guy like Spence than it is to draft the fourth best tackle prospect or reach for a corner.

2 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

If the Jets are going to compete for a title any time soon, they're going to need to luck into the elite pass rusher and a quarterback, and when you're picking those positions outside of the top ten, you're taking a flawed prospect regardless. Better to risk the pick on a guy like Spence than it is to draft the fourth best tackle prospect or reach for a corner.

What if there is a good DL prospect?

12 hours ago, T0mShane said:

The first round isnt for risks, especially if you're a team like the Jets who have a need everywhere and an aging roster.  While of course there are more flaws the further you get from #1 but that doesnt mean you start taking chances because you're desperate. 

14 hours ago, Sperm Edwards said:

Let me have my fun; I don't follow this crap. OK fine then. I should have posted Aaron Maybin's picture. Or the Bowling Ball. Or any number of guys whose "metrics" were there and they just sucked at football (or had no fire, or were junkies, or whatever). 

Maybin was considered a high risk prospect as well, that is if you go by the pass rusher metrics 

12 minutes ago, cant wait said:

Maybin was considered a high risk prospect as well, that is if you go by the pass rusher metrics 

Take your pick of someone else then. Like I said in the post you quoted, I don't follow this crap so closely. Without looking it up I wouldn't know who Maybin played for in college, never saw anything he did there, don't remember his plusses or minuses from the combine or pro days, etc. Obviously there are guys who fill every checkbox - or almost every checkbox - from a physical/ability standpoint but they still just suck.

Archived