Ryan Fitzpatrick: MERGED

kelly

• Replies 6.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
33 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

Putting Geno aside completely, since I'm talking about Fitz, it's hard to argue that the team would have put forth that defensive performance and would have won wi Fitzpatrick at QB. And even if they would have (which is a hard sell to say the least), then it's his fault for getting injured for no good reason. He didn't get hurt on a sack or trying to score. He was trying to get a few extra yards after he'd already run for the first down. So it's either on him or it's on the defense, because Oakland didn't run up the score on pick 6's or fumble 6's. 

I think they see Geno as physically talented (so "there's a chance" in the Dumb & Dumber sense), but ultimately they see him as a known quantity, cheap, and disposable. They're buying time until Hackenberg (or I suppose Petty) sees the field. Geno is cheap, has starter experience, and there's no dilemma to bench him again when the time is right. Plus if he is at least so-so it'll only help the comp pick they'll get in '18. And if come October he's a disaster and neither of the other two can be put onto the field, they'll make a midsession trade for Glennon or another. 

Poor Fitz will swallow his pride and they'll bring him back, which takes the pressure off the FO so they won't be second-guessed so badly even when (on the field) Fitz shows why no one offered up much of anything for him. 

Another piece to all of this is that while I understand that it's not Fitz' problem to worry about the finances of the team necessarily, it should be considered when he is trying to strong arm (no pun intended) the organization IMO. It's not a situation where the team has expendable resources to which they are just playing it Idzik style and not spending it. The Jets are as tight as tight gets and in all honesty don't even have the money they are offering him. He's at the end of his career and has the pieces around to potentially go out on a high note. $8 mil is not insultingly low albeit half of what he has been reported to be seeking. He's an Ivy League grad. He should know that the money simply isn't there and that in truth the Jets simply can not pay him that much money. His stance just might be making it an impossibility that an agreement is reached. 

35 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

Or touting the two games Geno played with the immortal P Harvin as the equalizer to Marshall. 

You're on record saying he had "no talent around him".

In point of fact, 2014 Geno has almost to the man, the same exact talent Fitz had in 2015.  Marshall is the exception.

Geno had talent supporting him in 2014.

But really, at this point it's dead moot horse.  If Geno is our starter in 2016, there can be no more excuses.  He has boatloads of supporting talent, and he'd be being given a "fair chance".  And it's his contract year.

The rest will be on him.

21 minutes ago, Warfish said:

In point of fact, 2014 Geno has almost to the man, the same exact talent Fitz had in 2015.  Marshall is the exception.

But really, at this point it's dead moot horse.  If Geno is our starter in 2016, there can be no more excuses.  He has boatloads of supporting talent, and he'd be being given a "fair chance".  And it's his contract year.

The rest will be on him.

I will take Brandon Marshall and Chan Gailey any day of the week and figure out my QB later.

14 minutes ago, Maxman said:

I will take Brandon Marshall and Chan Gailey any day of the week and figure out my QB later.

Is it possible that our positive feelings about Gailey are the result of us having witnessed his system played by a QB who knows how to get the best out of it and not the other way around?

Just a thought.

38 minutes ago, Warfish said:

The rest will be on him.

This has all been litigated before of course but Smith also had Amaro to throw to whereas Fitz had a vacuum as far as I can tell at TE.

50 minutes ago, Warfish said:

The rest will be on him.

The point is anyone anyone who thinks he had the same talent around him, who can't even fathom what a Marshall brings, what Chan brings, what the team looked and played like is either talking out of their ass or clueless.

Enough is enough, you're desperately looking for reasons to denigrate your own teams player and that isn't what fans do.  I root for the uniform, you root for who you like and fu(k anyone who competes with him.  

2 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

The point is anyone anyone who thinks he had the same talent around him, who can't even fathom what a Marshall brings, what Chan brings, what the team looked and played like is either talking out of their ass or clueless.

Enough is enough, you're desperately looking for reasons to denigrate your own teams player and that isn't what fans do.  

Because you are the arbiter of what "fans do"?

If speaking factually about Geno Smith "denigrates" him, well, such is life.

As stated, there are no excuses left, for him, in 2016.  He better perform, and vastly better than he did his first two horrific worst-in-NFL years.

Just now, Warfish said:

Because you are the arbiter of what "fans do"?

If speaking factually about Geno Smith "denigrates" him, well, such is life.

As stated, there are no excuses left, for him, in 2016.  He better perform, and vastly better than he did his first two horrific worst-in-NFL years.

I think rooting for the team and not killing your own players is a universal trait that you missed out on.  Don't need to be an arbiter of anything.  

Facts about Smith.  please give us a 1500 essay on why Smith can't be better than we last saw.  Tell us again your twisted, biased nonsense about the talent levels of the 14 & 15 teams, you factually.  How Smith can't be as good as Fitz because it's a fact according to you.  Why do think your whiney shlt is factual and no one else's is? 

Oh, and give me one factual reason that the immortal P Harvin equals out Marshall.  

All thenshlt you tossed out here as fact is in fact your opinion, so don't bitch about my right or anyone's right to opine  

Just now, Jet Nut said:

I think rooting for the team

Rooting for someone other than Geno to play QB IS rooting for my team.

Just now, Jet Nut said:

Facts about Smith.  please give us a 1500 essay on why Smith can't be better than we last saw.

He can be better.  I simply don't believe he will.  10 words about covers it.

13 minutes ago, Warfish said:

Rooting for someone other than Geno to play QB IS rooting for my team.

He can be better.  I simply don't believe he will.  10 words about covers it.

I got 2 words: Geno SUCKS

2 hours ago, GREENBEAN said:

Another piece to all of this is that while I understand that it's not Fitz' problem to worry about the finances of the team necessarily, it should be considered when he is trying to strong arm (no pun intended) the organization IMO. It's not a situation where the team has expendable resources to which they are just playing it Idzik style and not spending it. The Jets are as tight as tight gets and in all honesty don't even have the money they are offering him. He's at the end of his career and has the pieces around to potentially go out on a high note. $8 mil is not insultingly low albeit half of what he has been reported to be seeking. He's an Ivy League grad. He should know that the money simply isn't there and that in truth the Jets simply can not pay him that much money. His stance just might be making it an impossibility that an agreement is reached. 

No,player other than Brady( getting paid on the side) takes less than market value ... It's not fair to hold Fitz to that standard

will the FO & his agent work it out?  I believe so ... But time will tell

5 hours ago, BUM-KNEE said:

Having prolonged drives actually did help out the D, they had time to rest.

Out of everything that changed, Fitz gave the team leadership, and a legit NFL offense. Other factors/players played a part in the season for sure, but diminishing Fitz as a huge reason for the turnaround is silly.

Fitz played 11 games against the bottom 12 Ds. That's almost unheard of. He had PBs at RB n WR plus one of the best #2WR in the game. So who should I credit? No, Fitz does not get any defensive credit. If he had a few long drives, it was probably due to the WRs bailing him out n not the other way around. 

Fitz is a bottom of the barrel starter n no one wants him at avg starter money. 

Hard to figure the Fitz hate. The guy gave us the best qb play we've seen in years: savvy in the pocket, quick release, leadership, getting his helmet ripped off while diving for the goal line and other intangibles. How can you not root for him as a Jet fan? Remember a game last year (don't remember which one) where it was close and tense, and the other team just scored in the last quarter, and we had one more drive, and someone posted on the game thread: "Don't worry, Fitz got this" - to me that was a classic post and summarized how a lot of us feel about Fitz's clutchness. Yeah, we blew the Buffalo game - but that's not all on him and for me it doesn't define his season with us. "Fitz got this" defines his season for me.

2 hours ago, roscoeword said:

Hard to figure the Fitz hate. The guy gave us the best qb play we've seen in years: savvy in the pocket, quick release, leadership, getting his helmet ripped off while diving for the goal line and other intangibles. How can you not root for him as a Jet fan? Remember a game last year (don't remember which one) where it was close and tense, and the other team just scored in the last quarter, and we had one more drive, and someone posted on the game thread: "Don't worry, Fitz got this" - to me that was a classic post and summarized how a lot of us feel about Fitz's clutchness. Yeah, we blew the Buffalo game - but that's not all on him and for me it doesn't define his season with us. "Fitz got this" defines his season for me.

It's not Fitz hate. It's people hating on every QB not named Fitzpatrick. If Fitzpatrick (allegedly coming off such a great season) was that good then why couldnt he get a job elsewhere? Why is Fitz M.O. "He fitz well in a Gailey system"? 

People are giving Ryan Fitzpatrick all the credit when he's never been a competent player except in a Chan Gailey offense. And even in a Chan Gailey offense he played bad. He got a huge payday from the Bills, the very next season they literally cut him. 

The problem isnt Fitz hate, people give Fitz credit for what he's done. The problem here is taking a guy who has 11 years in the system with a total of two respectable seasons (both under Gailey) and suddenly negating the fact that 9 seasons which werent under Gailey is irrelevant. Now trust me, im not the one to say that people cant get over the hump, but last year was no indication of that. The man had great talent around him yet his completion %'age was one of his 5 lowest in his career, his failure rate against teams who score points against him reflected the Ryan Fitzpatrick we all know (1-6 record) and he has no deep ball. 

Fitz played his best football with the best  talent he's ever had around him while playing football. No one is denying or hating on that. But all this "savvy in the pocket, leadership, getting helmets ripped off" doesnt matter when you're losing to AFC teams or AFC rivals repeatedly destroying your chances at a playoff spot along with not being able to beat any team that scored 21 or more points. Thats not hyperbole, that's an absolute fact. Today in a passing league if you're a QB and cant compete with teams that score just 21 points then just because he's had the "best QB play we've seen in years" really doesnt mean much when historically the Jets QB position has been some of the worst in NFL history. 

When you break a bunch of franchise records yet that produces a non playoff season with a top 10 defense, top 10 offense, 1000 yard rusher and #1 WR in the league....sometimes being 5X's better than utter sh*t historically doesnt mean that you were actually good. It just means that you're 5X's better than utter sh*t historically and that you're able to go 10-6 with the easiest schedule in Jets history with 5 of those losses coming from competing AFC teams. And of those 5 AFC losses, 3 losses come against below .500 teams the 4th against a 9-7 team that beat us with a 3rd string QB and the 5th was the Patriots. 3 of those 5 losses that came against below .500 competition, Fitz could only muster 17 offensive points while the competition scored 22pts, 22pts, & 24pts. In otherwords, we lost because Fitz couldnt move the ball and score points. 

Telling the truth about the matter when people constantly try to make him look like more than what he is by dissing Geno Smith is not hating. Yeah, Geno's career so far has been a Joke. But he's still on a rookie contract and has only played 30-plus pro games. Ryan Fitzpatrick is one of the oldest vets in the league, played over 110 pro games, career's been nothing without Chan and STILL will end a season by throwing 3 INT's in the 4th quarter while staring down his target (Eric Decker). 

5 minutes ago, Villain The Foe said:

It's not Fitz hate. It's people hating on every QB not named Fitzpatrick. If Fitzpatrick (allegedly coming off such a great season) was that good then why couldnt he get a job elsewhere? Why is Fitz M.O. "He fitz well in a Gailey system"? 

People are giving Ryan Fitzpatrick all the credit when he's never been a competent player except in a Chan Gailey offense. And even in a Chan Gailey offense he played bad. He got a huge payday from the Bills, the very next season they literally cut him. 

The problem isnt Fitz hate, people give Fitz credit for what he's done. The problem here is taking a guy who has 11 years in the system with a total of two respectable seasons (both under Gailey) and suddenly negating the fact that 9 seasons which werent under Gailey is irrelevant. Now trust me, im not the one to say that people cant get over the hump, but last year was no indication of that. The man had great talent around him yet his completion %'age was one of his 5 lowest in his career, his failure rate against teams who score points against him reflected the Ryan Fitzpatrick we all know (1-6 record) and he has no deep ball. 

Fitz played his best football with the best  talent he's ever had around him while playing football. No one is denying or hating on that. But all this "savvy in the pocket, leadership, getting helmets ripped off" doesnt matter when you're losing to AFC teams or AFC rivals repeatedly destroying your chances at a playoff spot along with not being able to beat any team that scored 21 or more points. Thats not hyperbole, that's an absolute fact. Today in a passing league if you're a QB and cant compete with teams that score just 21 points then just because he's had the "best QB play we've seen in years" really doesnt mean much when historically the Jets QB position has been some of the worst in NFL history. 

When you break a bunch of franchise records yet that produces a non playoff season with a top 10 defense, top 10 offense, 1000 yard rusher and #1 WR in the league....sometimes being 5X's better than utter sh*t historically doesnt mean that you were actually good. It just means that you're 5X's better than utter sh*t historically and that you're able to go 10-6 with the easiest schedule in Jets history with 5 of those losses coming from competing AFC teams. And of those 5 AFC losses, 3 losses come against below .500 teams the 4th against a 9-7 team that beat us with a 3rd string QB and the 5th was the Patriots. 3 of those 5 losses that came against below .500 competition, Fitz could only muster 17 offensive points while the competition scored 22pts, 22pts, & 24pts. In otherwords, we lost because Fitz couldnt move the ball and score points. 

Telling the truth about the matter when people constantly try to make him look like more than what he is by dissing Geno Smith is not hating. Yeah, Geno's career so far has been a Joke. But he's still on a rookie contract and has only played 30-plus pro games. Ryan Fitzpatrick is one of the oldest vets in the league, played over 110 pro games, career's been nothing without Chan and STILL will end a season by throwing 3 INT's in the 4th quarter while staring down his target (Eric Decker). 

Speak for yourself! Those who know football hate his Harvard ass! I hope he crawls back under that rock he came out from and will let Geno show the world what a real QB can do!

@Villain The Foe On the bright side..... Having Geno and 2 developmental Qb's starting the season still leaves the door open for Glennon next yr. in FA.

Geno leaves as a FA, Hackenberg (going into yr. 2) and Petty(Yr. 3) are given a chance to compete for the starting position vs. Glennon.

If nothing else, Glennon could be the back-up if Hack beats him out, no matter how unlikely that is.

7 minutes ago, 32EBoozer said:

@Villain The Foe On the bright side..... Having Geno and 2 developmental Qb's starting the season still leaves the door open for Glennon next yr. in FA.

Geno leaves as a FA, Hackenberg (going into yr. 2) and Petty(Yr. 3) are given a chance to compete for the starting position vs. Glennon.

If nothing else, Glennon could be the back-up if Hack beats him out, no matter how unlikely that is.

99296-So-youre-telling-me-theres-a-c-LAF

12 minutes ago, Irish Jet said:

Thankfully Mike Glennon will never stain the Jets with his presence.

Fitz will return and see that we forever dodge that bullet. 

And bite the bullet that we have a mediocre QB who cant take a team to the playoffs. 

22 minutes ago, Irish Jet said:

Thankfully Mike Glennon will never stain the Jets with his presence.

Fitz will return and see that we forever dodge that bullet. 

8 minutes ago, joewilly12 said:

And bite the bullet that we have a mediocre QB who cant take a team to the playoffs. 

lol

1 hour ago, Villain The Foe said:

Someone's taking this new approach too far! :-)

Approach? No new approach, just going along to get along....  See, round dese parts, its cool to tell posers to do naughty things to their Ftiz blow up dolls, and their Fitz posters, but don't ever, ever accuse peeps of being a troll!

4 minutes ago, BowlesMovement said:

Approach? No new approach, just going along to get along....  See, round dese parts, its cool to tell posers to do naughty things to their Ftiz blow up dolls, and their Fitz posters, but don't ever, ever accuse peeps of being a troll!

Werd! 

2 hours ago, Villain The Foe said:

I always thought Fitz was a pretty good qb, even in Buffalo. Maybe he just needed the right situation; maybe he finally got some weapons and is showing what he is really capable of, instead of the other way around.  He was always a gun slinging type that is also mobile - a poor man's Tony Romo. What's you're opinion on Romo? He is considered a top flight qb but also throws lots of interceptions and has a rep as a choker... do you think he stinks?    

2 hours ago, Villain The Foe said:

Yeah, Geno's career so far has been a Joke.

It has.  A joke a goodly portion of our fanbase has an endless assortment of excuses to excuse.

Well, fine.  No More Excuses 2016.

Just now, Warfish said:

It has.  A joke a goodly portion of our fanbase has an endless assortment of excuses to excuse.

Well, fine.  No More Excuses 2016.

If Geno's short career has been a joke what would you call Fitzpatricks long career of failures and numerous teams. 

9 hours ago, EM31 said:

Is it possible that our positive feelings about Gailey are the result of us having witnessed his system played by a QB who knows how to get the best out of it and not the other way around?

Just a thought.

I think it has a lot to do with how low the bar has been set on offense here in recent years.

Archived