Ryan Fitzpatrick: MERGED

kelly

42 minutes ago, neckdemon said:

you honestly believe fitz is going to sit out the beginning of the season and hope a qb goes down and that team calls him for a big payday?

I'm so sick of autistic GM's wrecking our negotiations with Fitz.  Just trade for Glennon or start Geno next season.

Sorry Harvard-Boy we ain't giving u a 5 year $70 million deal.

• Replies 6.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

RG3 deal is reported two years, $15 million, including $6.75 million guaranteed, bacisally a 1 year try out with huge upside

If you assume Fitz's offer was in the area of 3 year 24M with 12M guaranteed then it's a much better offer and inline with expectations, 1 year starters money and two years back up money, that is not an insult...

5 minutes ago, Ohio State NY Jets fan said:

RG3 deal is reported two years, $15 million, including $6.75 million guaranteed, bacisally a 1 year try out with huge upside

If you assume Fitz's offer was in the area of 3 year 24M with 12M guaranteed then it's a much better offer and inline with expectations, 1 year starters money and two years back up money, that is not an insult...

I guess I'm not football savvy if RG3 can get $16 million on the open market after being horrible the last 3 seasons Fitz should be getting Russel Wilson money 

Fitz and his agent would turn that down.

They want NFL starting QB money, which the going rate is $15MM.

Your dumbass HC already said he is the starting QB if he returns.

3 hours ago, jetrider said:

At this stage the 31 TDs mean nothing. The purpose of the reg season is to get to the postseason. The guy (when given a chance after 10 years) stunk up Buffalo.

We said playoffs, not layoffs.

He also played pretty much lights out the prior 5 games to get us in position to be thewre against BUF.  I'm not even advocating for the guy, but Christ every QB has a bad game at some point. 

4 minutes ago, Snell41 said:

He also played pretty much lights out the prior 5 games to get us in position to be thewre against BUF.  I'm not even advocating for the guy, but Christ every QB has a bad game at some point. 

RG3 has had nothing but bad games post-2012 yet he gets $16 mil with $6.75 million guaranteed 

unreal

2 hours ago, PatsFanTX said:

What happens if a QB (Rogers, Palmer, Flacco, etc.) of a Super Bowl contending team goes down with an injury in the first 4 weeks of the season?

Guess who gets the first phone call and a big payday?

Green Bay, Arizona, Baltimore are not going to have 15 million dollars in cap room in September.

Not sure if this has been posted yet, but this writer is a genius (mainly because it's exactly what I think).

http://ftw.usatoday.com/2016/03/nfl-new-york-jets-free-agent-contract-geno-smith

"Finished Ryan Fitzpatrick's 2015 deep ball. The best thing I can say about it is Fitzpatrick went to Harvard."

"Going back to Geno Smith is the more financially sound decision if New York can’t find a cheaper option. Smith is a very flawed quarterback but not much of a downgrade from Fitzpatrick. He’s just as inaccurate and turnover-prone but has a much stronger arm. His 2014 rate stats (completion percentage, yards per attempt, etc.) aren’t far off from what Fitzpatrick was able to produce with a much better team around him. And at 25, Smith has the much higher ceiling. "

The contracts are incomparable.

RGIII is a QB who took a team to the playoffs and has the potential to do it again. He's also a young QB with starter experience and CLE needs both attributes in a QB because McCown is on borrowed time. CLE is paying for the potential of a young franchise QB but paying him largely on a pay to play contract that's only a test run. (I still think CLE overpaid though.)

Fitz is a QB who had a really good year on an easy schedule. He only has a few years in the tank and the probability he gives us a 10-6 year on a difficult schedule is far less likely. He's at best a placeholder that might give us a fun year of football that ends in December. If Fitz was ten years younger then sure, he's probably have a better contract than RGIII this year because he played better than RGIII did last year and it would be worth seeing if he could be the franchise QB. But he isn't going to be paid on that hypothetical. Fitzpatrick is likely the best of the options available right now and should receive a commensurate offer.

20 hours ago, Rangers9 said:

I'm surprised that the as usual inept Browns gave Griifin that much money. So why not just give Fitz market value which if RG got 15/2 should at least be 20/2. As for Kap rumors are the hold up in trading him is money: he won't take a cut.

I disagree entirely.  RGIII is a former #2 overall pick and ROY who is almost 10 years younger than Fitz, who had his best season at age 33.  Based on where the Jets are, I still clearly prefer Fitz because I prefer the steady hold the fort guy to the flashy high upside/high circus factor guy - but this assumption that he has to get at least $5M more based off of one season when the likelihood of him even duplicating, let alone surpassing, that season is minimal.  Again, if no one else is willing to pay him $7M/year, why would we pay him $10M?

2 hours ago, drdetroit said:

I guess I'm not football savvy if RG3 can get $16 million on the open market after being horrible the last 3 seasons Fitz should be getting Russel Wilson money 

I think Wilson won a SuperBowl before getting that money, do you really think Fitz is worth 15m to the 2016 Jets?

2 hours ago, PatsFanTX said:

Versus signing with the Jets for $6MM?

Somebody in another thread posted that Fitz's net worth is $24MM.

What do you think a Havard business grad can turn that into in 10-15 years.

Why get he crap beat out of you for pocket change when there are better options?

Dude has a gaggle of children and can't seem to keep a job so I will go with less 

1 hour ago, nyjets782 said:

I disagree entirely.  RGIII is a former #2 overall pick and ROY who is almost 10 years younger than Fitz, who had his best season at age 33.  Based on where the Jets are, I still clearly prefer Fitz because I prefer the steady hold the fort guy to the flashy high upside/high circus factor guy - but this assumption that he has to get at least $5M more based off of one season when the likelihood of him even duplicating, let alone surpassing, that season is minimal.  Again, if no one else is willing to pay him $7M/year, why would we pay him $10M?

It was a bold and tough move for the Redskins to admit their entire team building strategy was wrong and to cut RG3. And to me a surprise that the Wash owner backed up a first year HC over a Qb who was known to go over the head of the HC to get backed up by the owner. And an owner who is one of the biggest budindkys in league history. Now we're hearing that John Elway had no interest in Griffin based on reports he had from both Shanahans and that Kubiak knew a lot about the situation, too. As for Fitz's money I don't get why some fans are trying to set a limit on what he gets and say they want him back but not higher than a certain amount. What he gets paid well if he can get it from Mac then as far as I can see he deserves it. And to have our offense in tact and a Qb who proved to be a leader last year it's worth it imo.

1 minute ago, Rangers9 said:

Actually your backup Qb is totally unproven.

I have to agree with Tx.  Jimmy G. has been in the system for over 2 years and has been watching Brady perform his magic.  I would rather have him in heartbeat over Fitz if I were the Pats.  Lets face it; Fitz is best suited for the Jets; he really isn't worth all that much to any other team. 

2 hours ago, Snell41 said:

Beating Dallas by a FG with :41 left and needing OT to beat Giants on a Tom Coughlin brainflub and Pats in OT on a BB coinflop isn't playing "lights out."

Like I said numerous times, Fitz's 10-6 is deceiving. Could've been 8-8 or 7-9 very easily. 

And in 5 of our 6 losses, Jets either led briefly 3-0 and played catch-up or never had the lead at all. Those losses were what they were. 

4 minutes ago, JetBlue said:

I have to agree with Tx.  Jimmy G. has been in the system for over 2 years and has been watching Brady perform his magic.  I would rather have him in heartbeat over Fitz if I were the Pats.  Lets face it; Fitz is best suited for the Jets; he really isn't worth all that much to any other team. 

The guy has never played. 

Just now, Rangers9 said:

The guy has never played. 

The same could have been said about Brady when Bledsoe got hurt.  Gotta take off the training wheels and play some time..  This will be his third year. I am sure BB would have no problem inserting him in if Brady went down.  

1 hour ago, New York Mick said:

McClown or Geno would make the season unwatchable. Fitz wasn't great but at least I had hope going into every game and wasn't shutting off the tv by the 3rd quarter and pissed off all week. 

LOL - amazing the standards we have learned to accept from the Jets and how the team performance impacts the work week :)

I am just about done with retreads and ready for them to just trade the farm for Wentz

2 minutes ago, JetBlue said:

The same could have been said about Brady when Bledsoe got hurt.  Gotta take off the training wheels and play some time..  This will be his third year. I am sure BB would have no problem inserting him in if Brady went down.  

He might be ok or even better but right now he's completely unproven. None of Brady's backups have been elite Cassell, Mallett and Hoyer have been fair. There is no way you take Jimmy over Fitz esp if you want to win in 2016. 

Just now, Rangers9 said:

He might be ok or even better but right now he's completely unproven. None of Brady's backups have been elite Cassell, Mallett and Hoyer have been fair. There is no way you take Jimmy over Fitz esp if you want to win in 2016. 

So you say. I totally disagree with you. You have to factor in Fitz is not coming cheap.  Why would I pay big money for a career journeyman "system" qb who has never made the playoffs instead of the guy I HAVE BEEN GROOMING AS BRADY'S REPLACEMENT THE LAST 3 YEARS?????  I can see bringing a vet back up, but believe me it would be some one who would come extremely cheap.  Does that sound like Fitz to you? 

2 minutes ago, JetBlue said:

So you say. I totally disagree with you. You have to factor in Fitz is not coming cheap.  Why would I pay big money for a career journeyman "system" qb who has never made the playoffs instead of the guy I HAVE BEEN GROOMING AS BRADY'S REPLACEMENT THE LAST 3 YEARS?????  I can see bringing a vet back up, but believe me it would be some one who would come extremely cheap.  Does that sound like Fitz to you? 

First of all Brady's backups never play at all except Cassell when he was injured. There is no evidence that Jimmy can be a good player and visa versa. If he stays with NEP and Brady is still there he will never play. To say he's better than Fitz who has started a lot of games for at least 3 teams and had a good season last year and knows the Jets offense is kind of hard to believe. But it's obvious some Jets fans are still very angry about the Buff game and blame it on him. Now if Thompkins had made a great catch a different story. Jimmy G over Fitz. Come on.

5 minutes ago, Rangers9 said:

First of all Brady's backups never play at all except Cassell when he was injured. There is no evidence that Jimmy can be a good player and visa versa. If he stays with NEP and Brady is still there he will never play. To say he's better than Fitz who has started a lot of games for at least 3 teams and had a good season last year and knows the Jets offense is kind of hard to believe. But it's obvious some Jets fans are still very angry about the Buff game and blame it on him. Now if Thompkins had made a great catch a different story. Jimmy G over Fitz. Come on.

No, you come on.  You seem to not get through your head that Fitz would NOT COME CHEAP so why would they do that??   We don't know what Jimmy G. is, we know what Fitz is and unless Brandon Marshall is part of the deal, he is a decent, but weak armed journeyman qb who had a career year. Gez, Fitz is WAY overrated on this board.... Let us just agree to disagree; this is getting tedious. 

Bleacher Report's Jason Cole reports the Jets have offered free agent Ryan Fitzpatrick a $7 annual salary but are willing to go up to $9 million a year.

Fitzpatrick is asking for $16 million a year. The two sides are miles apart and both seem willing to wait it out. Cole reports there is "little or no faith within the organization" that Geno Smith is capable of taking over the starting job, which means the Jets will have to look elsewhere if Fitzpatrick doesn't agree to their terms. One replacement option Cole mentioned was Mike Glennon, who is entering the last year of his deal with Tampa Bay.

Mar 25 - 6:24 PM

Bleacher Report's Jason Cole reports the Jets have offered free agent Ryan Fitzpatrick a $7 annual salary but are willing to go up to $9 million a year.

Fitzpatrick is asking for $16 million a year. The two sides are miles apart and both seem willing to wait it out. Cole reports there is "little or no faith within the organization" that Geno Smith is capable of taking over the starting job, which means the Jets will have to look elsewhere if Fitzpatrick doesn't agree to their terms. One replacement option Cole mentioned was Mike Glennon, who is entering the last year of his deal with Tampa Bay.

5 minutes ago, PatsFanTX said:

Neither did Brady.

He won a Super Bowl the first year he played.

Yeah, and there's a million other guys who had no starts who never made it. Nothing against Jimmy he could end up being a good player. I take Fitz but not for 16 mil. No one is going to pay him that. I think a ten spot for him is fair.

1 hour ago, Gas2No99 said:

$9 MILLION would be completely idiotic and irresponsible by the Jets 

Archived