Ryan Fitzpatrick: MERGED

kelly

1 hour ago, nyjunc said:

Curtis was playing hurt that 1998 season but he was still the focal point of defenses which opened up the pass game for Vinny to have the best ever season for a Jets QB.

show me any holes in that 1998 championship game?

Ahh the favorite Martinette excuse so you give a hurt RB 369 carries?? Remember when Chrebet went to the Tuna and said he was ready and the tuna kicked him in the ankle to see if he really was.. Remember when Adrian Murrell had more yardage on less carries then Martin did on a Bowl bound team?? So did Ivory open up the pass game for Fitz that had a better season this year??

• Replies 6.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
12 minutes ago, Savage69 said:

Ahh the favorite Martinette excuse so you give a hurt RB 369 carries?? Remember when Chrebet went to the Tuna and said he was ready and the tuna kicked him in the ankle to see if he really was.. Remember when Adrian Murrell had more yardage on less carries then Martin did on a Bowl bound team?? So did Ivory open up the pass game for Fitz that had a better season this year??

he clearly didn't have his usual burst.  he was still effective just not as effective as usual.  That is not why he struggled in denver, the Ol was destroyed in Denver.  remember, he had a big game vs. jax the week before.

I said Rex has a lot to learn plus I'm very happy with Bowles who is more like the prototype HC that people are used to.. I'm not apologizing for Rex I just give him credit for what he did.. I've been a Titan/Jet fan since they started and I have seen bigger horror shows then the 6 years Rex was the HC.. 

6 years as a Jets HC.

First two years he backs into the playoffs with Mangini's teams.

Last 4 years he couldn't even produce a winning record.

1 minute ago, nyjunc said:

he clearly didn't have his usual burst.  he was still effective just not as effective as usual.  That is not why he struggled in denver, the Ol was destroyed in Denver.  remember, he had a big game vs. jax the week before.

In the Jax game he had 124 yds on 36 carries that's 3.4 ypc Wow what a guy..LOL  Maybe the Tuna should have gave Richie Anderson or Sowell some carries..

2 hours ago, Savage69 said:

I was busting chops is that ok with you?? BTW obviously Fitz had a history with Chan but you know that.. Most defensive minded HC's don't have alot to do with developing QB's they hire offensive staff to handle that and you know that as well..

That was, to me, Parcells best ability.  Look at the staffs that man would put together. 

I think that is one of the hardest things a rookie head coach has working against him.  He doesn't have the connections to put together a real good staff, he needs a lot of younger guys, and has to hope that they pan out as well.

4 minutes ago, chirorob said:

That was, to me, Parcells best ability.  Look at the staffs that man would put together. 

I think that is one of the hardest things a rookie head coach has working against him.  He doesn't have the connections to put together a real good staff, he needs a lot of younger guys, and has to hope that they pan out as well.

A General is only as good as the troops he puts together and the Tuna was great at it..

15 minutes ago, Savage69 said:

A General is only as good as the troops he puts together and the Tuna was great at it..

Think of all of the HCs on his tree that have actually gone and won SBs!

In fact I would say about 50% to 60% of SB winners in the last 12 years have some come connection to Parcells, that includes but is not limited to Belichicken, and Coughlin just to name two.

Just now, Charlie Brown said:

In fact I would say about 50% to 60% of SB winners in the last 12 years have some come connection to Parcells, that includes but is not limited to Belichicken, and Coughlin just to name two.

No doubt his Coaching tree is one strong mighty Oak..;)

1 hour ago, Charlie Brown said:

The 98 99 Jets staff was insane. 

4 hours ago, Gas2No99 said:

Writing on the WALL for MORE CAP SPACE?

LT D'Brickashaw Ferguson has not been contacted by anyone in the Jets' coaching staff or front office since the end of last season.

That's a strange way to treat a three-time Pro Bowler who has only missed one snap in his 10-year NFL career. Head coach Todd Bowles was noncommittal about Ferguson's roster status earlier this week and it's clear the team wants him to take a pay cut. Ferguson's effectiveness has waned in recent years but the Jets don't have an obvious in-house replacement at left tackle. The cold war between Ferguson and the Jets is just beginning.

Mar 23 - 5:10 PM

Why would they contact him its the off-season unless of course they call him to say hello daily. 

12 hours ago, Joe Jets fan said:

Please post a link to this.  Please show where anyone from the Jets ever said this, please. 

For the life of me I just can not understand how anyone could have watched the games that Geno started and not think he was just terrible.  He was rated the worst QB in football those two years.  What more do you need to know.

I have posted the link before. It is not too hard to find the articles wi ty h a search

5 hours ago, Savage69 said:

I'm not sensitive to others it's just you like Warfish said your always looking to argue and most of us are wise to you..:ph34r:

No offense but Wars should look in the mirror, he argues with everyone. Worse yet his new running argument that we shouldnt sign QBs who failed elsewhere makes no sense when his boy is someone elses failure.  6 of them.  

Seems every time I respond to one of your posts you get defensive and dont like being questioned.  Hate to break this to you but thats the whole idea in debating sports, its not to be like a Pats board and turn it into a circle jerk.  

Nothing I wrote, said was argumentative here, it was sports talk:  

What does any of this have to do with Rex developing a QB?  That he gave the job to a 5th year pro means he developed him????

So did Bowles develop Fitz?  

And if Rex learned from his mistakes how come the guy he planned on being his QB sucked and was cut?  And EJ, did he also develop?

Rex had the 5th player in the draft and couldnt develop him, then had a QB that some had in the top 10 and couldnt develop him and finally had success with a QB that Harbaughs staff developed, not Rex's

8 hours ago, Joe Jets fan said:

Where does that say he practiced well?    it says he showed he matured, not practiced well.

Your point?

First he was a punk, then when told he matured we are asked why he didnt say he practiced well.  I cant remember him saying that any one of the QBs practiced well as a general statement.  So

Where did Bowles say Geno didnt practice well?  Does he have to walk us through every step Geno makes during the last year?  Bowles also said that if Fitz walks hes OK with it.  Has also said that he's fine with Geno part 2.  What else do you need to ruin your day?

You need to know enough about the game to understand that rookies and 2nd year QBs struggle big time when they enter the NFL.  Even under the best of circumstances they stuggle big time.  Few, a handful dont.  And those usually come from a NFL, pro style college offense.  You have to take into account Geno played with probably the worst talent on offense that we've ever seen.  Anywhere.  You would understand that no one would do well under those circumstances.

You have to also understand that the same learning curve everyone, everywhere said Petty needs in going from a spread offense to a pro style offense  applies to Geno, who ran the same offense in college. No one wants to throw Petty out as our starting QB in his 2nd season, didnt want him to play in his rookie year; most want him to have 3 full years of development.  But Geno doesnt get the same understanding.  Not even close, he sucks, is stupid, a punk blah, blah, blah.  Good for everyone who doesnt see the point, is so thick that all they do is repeat he sucks.  

You better cut out these strong details and facts about Geno or people are going to think your one of them, Geno never got a fair opportunity people. An you know we just have to crush there opinion because everyone knows Geno sucks, he's just plain awful, terrible, beyond bad, down right stupid.

1 hour ago, fltflo said:

You better cut out these strong details and facts about Geno or people are going to think your one of them, Geno never got a fair opportunity people. An you know we just have to crush there opinion because everyone knows Geno sucks, he's just plain awful, terrible, beyond bad, down right stupid.

My eyes work just fine, they tell me he's just a turn over machine.

The people who see him practice daily, look like they'd sooner trade for 36 year old jorney man Jag Josh McCown, then start Geno it's all I need to know.

If he starts we are using at least plan C.

14 hours ago, Savage69 said:

In the Jax game he had 124 yds on 36 carries that's 3.4 ypc Wow what a guy..LOL  Maybe the Tuna should have gave Richie Anderson or Sowell some carries..

we had a big lead, he had 36 carries.  he had a very good game that day.  YPC is usually a good indicator but not for that game.

Richie Anderson was buried on the bench under BP.  didn't get his chance until Groh took over then BP signed him away to Dallas.

20 minutes ago, BurnleyJet said:

The people who see him practice daily, look like they'd sooner trade for 36 year old jorney man Jag Josh McCown, then start Geno it's all I need to know.

and what was Fitz before he got here?

On March 21, 2016 at 10:15 PM, rex-n-effect said:

The logic of your argument is invalid. Good teams have QBs they can build around/have built around. That's why they don't need QB competitions every year. Not having a competition does not make your QB good or your team good. We've had competition every year because Geno has been unable to establish himself as the starter.

Your logic is invalid because (1) Geno never had anything but a QB competition, (2) he suffered two years of Rex, Mornhinweg, and no weapons, (3) Geno was and is a product of his development. QB competitions are generally for clueless OCs (Sparano, Mornhinweg) who need extra time to prolong their cluelessness. When you flounder away preseason shuffling two undecided starters, you're not building around one QB and developing him or the offense properly. And there's no logic to bringing in fresh garbage just to create a QB competition. Who gains from that? Garbage in, garbage out. Nobody knows what might've been with Geno and Chan last season. One can only imagine how Fitz would've done with the 2014 Jets.

Two weeks into NFL free agency, Ryan Fitzpatrick is still looking for a job.

With a number of teams still looking for a quarterback, including Fitzpatrick’s most recent team, the New York Jets, it’s a bit surprising a quarterback who threw 31 touchdowns and led his team to 10 wins has not been signed.

Fitzpatrick’s situation is a fascinating case-study in how the league balances the eye test and stats when evaluating a player. In 2015, Fitzpatrick’s tape did not necessarily match up with his numbers. He’s a quarterback with many flaws that were hidden by a tremendous supporting cast and a fair bit of luck.While the stats suggest Fitzpatrick was a league-average passer, the tape shows he was one of the worst starting quarterbacks in the league and the biggest reason a talented Jets team missed the postseason.

The most glaring weakness in his Fitzpatrick game is his arm strength. He can’t push the ball more than 20 yards downfield without sacrificing accuracy. He only completed 20% of his passes on such attempts.And it’s not like Fitzpatrick is very accurate on shorter throws either. According to Cian Fahey’s quarterback charting project, 72% of Fitzpatrick passes were thrown accurately, the second worst number in the league.Having receivers Brandon Marshall and Eric Decker propped up Fitzpatrick’s numbers in a big way. The duo hauled in 26 of his 31 touchdowns. Marshall, in particular, was a big reason for Fitzpatrick’s success. His large catch radius was able to make up for his quarterback’s poor ball placement on many occasions. And Fitzpatrick’s completion percentage (59.6%) still fell way below league average.

Fitzpatrick threw only 15 interceptions, but that number doesn’t really capture how reckless he was with the football. Fahey charted Fitzpatrick with 30 “interceptable passes,” second most in the entire league. Only ten of those passes were actually caught by defenders — his five other interceptions were deemed the fault of the receiver. Expect a regression to the mean in 2016.Fitzpatrick is a career backup who found himself in a great situation. We’ve seen this situation play out before. Most recently in 2013, when Josh McCown put up ridiculous numbers for the Bears, got a nice contract from the Buccaneers and played like the backup he truly was in 2014. The Jets aren’t going to make that same mistake. The team understands it will not be able to pay Fitzpatrick and keep the talented supporting cast that props him up.

Going back to Geno Smith is the more financially sound decision if New York can’t find a cheaper option. Smith is a very flawed quarterback but not much of a downgrade from Fitzpatrick. He’s just as inaccurate and turnover-prone but has a much stronger arm. His 2014 rate stats (completion percentage, yards per attempt, etc.) aren’t far off from what Fitzpatrick was able to produce with a much better team around him. And at 25, Smith has the much higher ceiling.Even if Fitzpatrick were to come down to the Jets’ price, which is reportedly a shade under $10 million, I’m not so sure it’s worth coughing up the money. Smith is on the books for just $1.59 million in 2016 and might be the better quarterback if given the chance. The Jets offense did just fine when Smith took over for an injured Fitzpatrick during the Raiders game.

With the team already struggling to maintain its defense — the real strength of the roster — those millions it can save by passing on Fitzpatrick are a big deal. Per Spotrac. The team has about $2 million in projected cap room and still needs money to sign its rookie class. For the Jets to clear enough space to give Fitzpatrick even a modest contract, the team would have to make some cost-cutting moves, which could include trading all-pro defensive lineman Muhammad Wilkerson, who is set to make $15.7 million playing under the franchise tag in 2016.In order to marginally improve the team’s quarterback situation, the team will have to take giant steps backwards elsewhere. And if Fitzpatrick couldn’t get the 2015 roster to the playoffs, why should we expect any different with a weaker team in 2016?

>         http://ftw.usatoday.com/2016/03/nfl-new-york-jets-free-agent-contract-geno-smith

33 minutes ago, jetrider said:

Your logic is invalid because (1) Geno never had anything but a QB competition, (2) he suffered two years of Rex, Mornhinweg, and no weapons, (3) Geno was and is a product of his development. QB competitions are generally for clueless OCs (Sparano, Mornhinweg) who need extra time to prolong their cluelessness. When you flounder away preseason shuffling two undecided starters, you're not building around one QB and developing him or the offense properly. And there's no logic to bringing in fresh garbage just to create a QB competition. Who gains from that? Garbage in, garbage out. Nobody knows what might've been with Geno and Chan last season. One can only imagine how Fitz would've done with the 2014 Jets.

Quite a string of incoherent excuses for Geno.

It will certainly be most interesting to read the many opinions of fans during this season if Fitz returns. He will be facing much tougher defenses, with a blueprint in place on how to beat him, compliments of Rex Ryan.

Also as pointed out by others, Fitz was bailed out many, many times by his receivers on bad or poor throws.

It kind of fascinating really as I think about it because with our fan base, Fitz can thrown picks and there is much sympathy and understanding. Yet can you imagine with the exact same record, what the uproar would have been if Geno had thrown those 3 picks and cost us the playoffs.

As Folks much wiser then I have pointed out many times

"Be careful of what you wish for, you just may get it".

they can get McCown at a nice discount and use the savings elsewhere

I personally want kap and his upside but go get McCown-he did well with the bears as a starter with a QBR of about 110 and he is familiar and did well with Bmarsh and Forte

I would do it today -Fitz and his team can meet up with Ian Desmond and maybe create seminars about the art of bad deal making when nobody else wants you

Just now, Beerfish said:

lol one of the Geno lovers on this site wrote that schlep I assume?

it's not about being a Geno lover.  It's about Fitzpatrick not being as good as people here seem to think.  It's all laid out the reason why,

With the Browns signing quarterback Robert Griffin III, is Josh McCown on the way out?

If so, the teams that could be interested include the Jets, Broncos and Rams.ESPN reported on Wednesday, before the Browns signed Griffin, that the Jets have interest in McCown. Talks with free agent Ryan Fitzpatrick have failed to result in a deal that would bring him back to the  :wub:  Jets  :wub: , and so McCown could be an option there.

The Broncos have also made clear that they’re not done acquiring quarterbacks after losing Peyton Manning and Brock Osweiler and trading for Mark Sanchez. McCown would have a decent shot at beating out Sanchez in a quarterback competition.And the Rams are committed to Case Keenum as their starter at the beginning of Organized Team Activities, but that doesn’t mean McCown couldn’t come in and win a quarterback competition in Los Angeles.

The question for any team interested in McCown may be whether to offer the Browns a draft pick in a trade, or to wait on the assumption that Cleveland will release him. McCown is heading into the second-year of a three-year contract. He’s due a base salary of $4.375 million this season, plus a roster bonus of $750,000. That’s cheap by the standards of an NFL starting quarterback, and so if a team thinks there’s a chance McCown could be its starter, acquiring him wouldn’t be a bad deal.

>     http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2016/03/24/jets-broncos-rams-among-potential-josh-mccown-suitors/

5 minutes ago, BallinPB said:

it's not about being a Geno lover.  It's about Fitzpatrick not being as good as people here seem to think.  It's all laid out the reason why,

Absolutely no one on this site thinks Fitz is a great great franchise Qb.  He is much much better than Geno Smith however and that's where the article falls flat on it's ass.  i loved the line about them both being turnover prone but Geno has a better arm thus he's a better alternative.

How are you going to get him right now?  As the Cleveland GM I want a 3rd round pick, you up for it?  (Or you could be smart and just wait until any one of a number of of these vet so so Qb's get cut and grab them for free comp wise and probably save money on the contract as well.)

@domcosentino @DarrylSlater why not trade for Nick Foles he's better than rg and fitz

Archived