Jets add Defensive Lineman Jarvis Jenkins

JetNation

Jarvis Jenkins

By Glenn Naughton

While rumors regarding the future of the Jets quarterback position, Gang Green continues to make moves elsewhere.

NFL Insider Ian Rapoport is reporting that the Jets have come to terms with former Bears and Redskins defensive lineman Jarvis Jenkins.

The 6′ 4” 309 Jenkins was a second round pick of the Redskins in 2011 where he played his first three pro seasons before playing last year with the Redskins.

In 59 pro games (48 starts), Jenkins has logged 63 tackles, 6 sacks.

The addition of Jenkins could mean the end of the line for Jets free agent Leger Douzable.

Jetnationcom?d=yIl2AUoC8zA Jetnationcom?d=qj6IDK7rITs
nZ7lqGPjVRA

Click here to read the full story...

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I posted this in another thread regarding the departure of Snacks:

"The type of defense WE RAN was more than surfeit at NG with the likes of: Ernie Logan, Jason Ferguson, Kris Jenkins, Sione Pouha, and UDFA Snacks. Simon will be just as effective. 

The type of defense Bowles prefers to run will probably rely LESS on a 2 gap monster run stuffer/lane clogger and more partial to a Speed-based Penetrating Attack DT. JMHO. 

You don't pay NGs $9.25M in annual salary. Mo is worth more than Snacks, but like Fitzy, Mo is NOT WORTH how much his agent keeps whispering into his ear. "

Jenkins was highly touted out of Clemson and lost his rookie year to a severe knee injury, IIRC. He seems more of a penetrating DL than run clogger, but this tweet from Rapport per Rotoworld seems to indicate we might be moving towards more athletic DLman. 

Jets signed DE Jarvis Jenkins to a three-year, $6 million contract.

Turning 28 in April, Jenkins was the 41st overall pick in the 2011 draft. He's fallen well short of expectations associated with that selection, however, managing six sacks across 59 career games (48 starts), and in 2015 grading out 53rd among 57 qualified 3-4 defensive ends in PFF's ratings, routinely getting swallowed up versus the run. Jenkins is mere depth for Gang Green.

It's a good economic depth signing with possible upside. 

Jarvis Jenkins

By Glenn Naughton

While rumors regarding the future of the Jets quarterback position, Gang Green continues to make moves elsewhere.

NFL Insider Ian Rapoport is reporting that the Jets have come to terms with former Bears and Redskins defensive lineman Jarvis Jenkins.

The 6′ 4” 309 Jenkins was a second round pick of the Redskins in 2011 where he played his first three pro seasons before playing last year with the Redskins.

In 59 pro games (48 starts), Jenkins has logged 63 tackles and 6 sacks.

The addition of Jenkins could mean the end of the line for Jets free agent Leger Douzable.

Since reporting the signing, Rapoport has since backtracked after this tweet by Manish Mehta of the New York Daily News.  It appears Jenkins is still a possibility, but not a done deal.

Jetnationcom?d=yIl2AUoC8zA Jetnationcom?d=qj6IDK7rITs
4-pzJ0YjVDM

Click here to read the full story...

Kimberley A. Martin ‏@KMart_LI  55m55 minutes ago
Sorry to burst people's bubbles: but I'm told there's no deal between Jarvis Jenkins and the #Jets

Kimberley A. Martin ‏@KMart_LI  48m48 minutes ago
After visiting with the #Jets, Jarvis Jenkins is flying back home to ATL, I'm told.

No deal yet.

45 minutes ago, joewilly12 said:

Talk to the owner of the forum then.............

I know, right?

@Maxman Why don't you get with the program, huh? Joewilly here is trying to start another thread! Why do you have to put up false information and make Willy look like a fool?

Jets signed DE Jarvis Jenkins to a three-year, $6 million contract.

Turning 28 in April, Jenkins was the 41st overall pick in the 2011 draft. He's fallen well short of expectations associated with that selection, however, managing six sacks across 59 career games (48 starts), and in 2015 grading out 53rd among 57 qualified 3-4 defensive ends in PFF's ratings, routinely getting swallowed up versus the run. Jenkins is mere depth for Gang Green.

38 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

And the ability to stop the run will not suffer...

If we can go from Harrison down to Jenkins without impacting our ability to stop the run why could we have not dropped down even further and sign a UDFA or something?  Wouldn't even more money be saved in that case and at no loss of efficacy?

Just now, EM31 said:

If we can go from Harrison down to Jenkins without impacting our ability to stop the run why could we have not dropped down even further and sign a UDFA or something?  Wouldn't even more money be saved in that case and at no loss of efficacy?

I think they probably could have.  The D line is still stacked...put a big body in the middle and they'll be fine.  even if they do drop a bit - Being the best run stopping team in the league clearly hasn't helped us all that much.

1 hour ago, ljr said:

2 mil a year he will be our starting NT

Do we know what his current weight is?  Sights I looked at had him listed at 305.  I'd expect much larger for a NT.

12 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

I think they probably could have.  The D line is still stacked...put a big body in the middle and they'll be fine.  even if they do drop a bit - Being the best run stopping team in the league clearly hasn't helped us all that much.

I understand the 2nd part of the statement above but I think you underestimate just how good Harrison was for us in that role.  The marketplace is the ultimate decider of these things and the market valued Harrison significantly more than Jenkins.

In any event, I agree that we are indeed stacked, albeit a bit lighter than we were before and that we are better positioned to absorb his loss than another team might be.

1 hour ago, AFJF said:

Do we know what his current weight is?  Sights I looked at had him listed at 305.  I'd expect much larger for a NT.

Interesting! 

Nothing I read gave current weight info ... Will keep an eye out & update if I catch something

Archived