Round 3: Film on Mauldin

joerb31

1 minute ago, FidelioJet said:

but does he have the physical skills to be a quality NFL threat?

Strong, fast and explosive enough?

No doubt about it but he needs to work on some technique and other things. As we would expect with a guy taken in the 3rd round. But from watching the film he is very impressed

Of what I've seen he does not have super elite speed off the ball but for a rookie he had a reasonable number of moves and decent instinct to get to where the Qb will be.  4 sacks in a rookie year with limited paying tome was decent.

What he lacks in his first step, he certainly makes up for with his variety of moves and his extreme motor.  His pursuit is solid, seemingly always knowing where the QB is, even when the QB is moving around.  He uses just about every move you could imagine and uses it pretty well in that cut up film.  What impressed me most about watching those cut ups, was a lot of his success was built off his own moves.  Meaning, he wasnt benefiting from someone else's pursuit.  It was all him. 

Again, and I've said it 100 times now, Maudlin out performed every single 1st round and 2nd round OLB last year with less snaps.  In some case, hundreds+ less snaps. 

19 minutes ago, JiF said:

What he lacks in his first step, he certainly makes up for with his variety of moves and his extreme motor.  His pursuit is solid, seemingly always knowing where the QB is, even when the QB is moving around.  He uses just about every move you could imagine and uses it pretty well in that cut up film.  What impressed me most about watching those cut ups, was a lot of his success was built off his own moves.  Meaning, he wasnt benefiting from someone else's pursuit.  It was all him. 

Again, and I've said it 100 times now, Maudlin out performed every single 1st round and 2nd round OLB last year with less snaps.  In some case, hundreds+ less snaps. 

Even Eli Harold? I remember folks were ready to jump off the brooklyn bridge because we passed on him and selected Mauldin

5 minutes ago, jack48 said:

I like his attitude.  I like his skills.  He is not Von Miller.  He is a lunchpail guy. But those guys can get there too.

He is more than just a lunch pail guy. He has great athleticism; he is just doesn't have the burst of a Miller.  

31 minutes ago, JiF said:

Dumervill - 972 snaps - 6 sacks

Attaochu - 667 snaps - 6 sacks

McPhee - 594 snaps - 6 sacks

Davis - 1003 snaps - 5.5 sacks

Collins - 778 snaps - 5.5 sacks

Irvin - 710 snaps - 5.5 snaps

Harrison - 611 snaps - 5.5 sacks

Barrett - 496 snaps - 5.5 sacks

Bryant - 481 snaps - 5.5 sacks

Simon - 639 snaps - 5 sacks

Clowney - 562 snaps - 4.5 sacks

Morrigan - 528 snaps - 4.5 sacks

Smith - 1141 snaps - 4 sacks

Neal - 734 snaps - 4 sacks

Kikaha - 621 snaps - 4 sacks

Dupree - 563 snaps - 4 sacks

Moats - 554 snaps - 4 sacks

Golden - 518 snaps - 4 sacks

Ford - 480 snaps - 4 sacks

Mauldin - 253 snaps - 4 sacks by far the best % of sacks per snap. (OLB's 4-6 sacks)

Love the motor..if it's possible to work on that first step, I'd love to see him do it. There'll be 55 jerseys all over the place if he starts to light it up. Marvin Jones' 55..<heavy sigh>..oh, what could've been.

hes good with the hands too

20 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

Mauldin - 253 snaps - 4 sacks by far the best % of sacks per snap. (OLB's 4-6 sacks)

Every time this is posted, I'm asking myself, "was he really that good?" Gives me hope that he could turn out to be a gem of a pick.

29 minutes ago, JetBlue said:

He is more than just a lunch pail guy. He has great athleticism; he is just doesn't have the burst of a Miller.  

That's really not even a put down. There are very few guys who have that kind of burst.

I like Maudlin, loved his story.   If he keeps working, he has the physical tools to be a 10 sack guy.  Maybe not a 15+, but an edge rusher with 10 sacks on the Jets.... that's crazy talk.

37 minutes ago, chirorob said:

That's really not even a put down. There are very few guys who have that kind of burst.

I like Maudlin, loved his story.   If he keeps working, he has the physical tools to be a 10 sack guy.  Maybe not a 15+, but an edge rusher with 10 sacks on the Jets.... that's crazy talk.

Sounds like a young Calvin pace 

2 hours ago, Beerfish said:

Of what I've seen he does not have super elite speed off the ball but for a rookie he had a reasonable number of moves and decent instinct to get to where the Qb will be.  4 sacks in a rookie year with limited paying tome was decent.

Exactly what I was thinking as I watched the film. If he can get off the line quicker, or not hesitate setting up his move or hopefully work exclusively with a speed coach.... that extra 1/2 second will make ALL the difference in the world.

Most of those videos he gets to the QB a 1/2 second too late. Can be the difference of an extra 6-8 sacks a season, along with a ton of pressures and strip sacks.

Thanks for taking the time to share these..... good stuff!

Still waiting on the Gohlston video :lol:

2 hours ago, JetBlue said:

Even Eli Harold? I remember folks were ready to jump off the brooklyn bridge because we passed on him and selected Mauldin

I did a comparison in another thread.  Harold didnt make the list because he didnt register a sack.  He played 337 snaps. 

Here's the comparison:  

2 hours ago, Beerfish said:

Wow.  Never compared him to the veteran pass rushers.  Pretty impressive.

It will be interesting to see how they use him next season and what he can do when he's doing more than just going after the QB.

Excellent drop here bro. Mauldin could have had Brady a few times if he wasn't being held so much. He is an excellent pick by Macc. TB knows how to use him in this D. Get him so real help on the other side and this D is meaner. Highly productive NYJ.

2 hours ago, Shadetree said:

Every time this is posted, I'm asking myself, "was he really that good?" Gives me hope that he could turn out to be a gem of a pick.

Attachu, McPhee, Ford and Dupree. Those were the guys I measure him against due to my interest in them a Draft or 2 ago.

Very interesting. With our front line, all we need is a guy with desire, heart and an unrelenting motor.

Add speed to that and I'll mark you down for 8 sacks.

I like the kid but you can't play out of control and in that first clip he ran right past Tyrod Taylor. I know he came back around the other side, but if you go back to the early 90's the Jets had a guy named Marvin Washington who did that quite a lot. Overran the sack time and again. I hope Mauldin can play fast but also under control much better this season, because he could end up being a pretty good edge guy.

4 minutes ago, Ex-Rex said:

I like the kid but you can't play out of control and in that first clip he ran right past Tyrod Taylor. I know he came back around the other side, but if you go back to the early 90's the Jets had a guy named Marvin Washington who did that quite a lot. Overran the sack time and again. I hope Mauldin can play fast but also under control much better this season, because he could end up being a pretty good edge guy.

That's why those agility drills are so important when evaluating pass rushers, you need to be able to bend the edge to get to the QB. Unless you're like a Suggs type and can just manhandle your blockers

I remember around when he was drafted a lot of 'experts'  loved the pick and said he was going to be good. So I had high hopes for him. He played extremely well last year and I think he can be a real big time player for us. Just needs to learn how to be an everydown player and not situational. Hopefully he makes that leap this year. 

He was pretty much used the same way Aaron Maybin was used when we brought him in. 

He didn't necessarily just overrun the sack he got pushed but I know what you guys are saying... He was VERY productive for when he was on the field. If he can improve in the run game he will be a huge player for us for years to come.

2 hours ago, Sperm Edwards said:

The title confused me. I was expecting like a documentary, like one of those gripping "A Football Life" films.

Round 3 is the name of our new production company. :)

Archived