Would you trade up for Lynch?

Patriot Killa

3 minutes ago, RutgersJetFan said:

That's fine. Opinions are great. What I'm saying is that the gaps between between the grades in Lynch and Cook and Hackenberg aren't that huge. When that's the case, with any position in the draft but especially quarterback, trading up tends to result in a net loss.

i think lynch will be there at 20, he's too much of a project to take that high.  i can't see SF or phily taking him.  i could see chicago or the saints, they have established qbs but have so many defensive needs it's a stretch.

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think Lynch will see the field sooner than Wentz.  The only reasons Wentz is so highly rated is the lack of film on him and the trash he was playing against.  The guy has around the same experience that Sanchez has.

i think Lynch has more of an opportunity to catch up to the speed of the game than Wentz.

Prior to the senior bowl, it was Lynch and Goff.  Wentz was the guy falling to late in the first.  These ratings were based off of game film.

Then comes the senior bowl practices and combine and all of a sudden, he's being talked about as the #1 pick.

Lynch is bigger than Wentz, at least as athletic and played against much superior competition.

Lynch will make the Devin Smith pic justified and will open up the entire offense with his arm and scrambling ability.

The consensus is that Lynch has the highest ceiling of any QB in the draft.  

8 minutes ago, Pcola said:

I think Lynch will see the field sooner than Wentz.  The only reasons Wentz is so highly rated is the lack of film on him and the trash he was playing against.  The guy has around the same experience that Sanchez has.

i think Lynch has more of an opportunity to catch up to the speed of the game than Wentz.

Prior to the senior bowl, it was Lynch and Goff.  Wentz was the guy falling to late in the first.  These ratings were based off of game film.

Then comes the senior bowl practices and combine and all of a sudden, he's being talked about as the #1 pick.

Lynch is bigger than Wentz, at least as athletic and played against much superior competition.

Lynch will make the Devin Smith pic justified and will open up the entire offense with his arm and scrambling ability.

i haven't seen wentz play but i don't get why he's rated so high.  less than 2 yrs as a starter not in D1, then injured his wrist and the team still won without him.  

8 minutes ago, Pcola said:

You been hangin out with Paradis?:D Seriously, not a bad argument.

Trade up for Lynch?  Don't really know.

But what if CLE doesn't take a QB and either Goff or Wentz drops.  SD, DAL, JAX and BAL don't seem likely to take a QB so some team could trade up anywhere in that range to grab one of the top 2.  Say one of them drops to JAX at 5 or even BAL at 6.  I'd be intrigued by a trade-up there.  It could conceivably include Mo and our first so the question is, how much more would it take.  Without consulting the value chart, I'm spit-balling here, but say it was our first and third round picks and Mo.  Would you trade that to move up for Wentz or Goff?  Probably would cost more and I'd start saying no at that point but if you could swipe a top QB for just that, I'd have a hard time hating it.

This assumes you believe the gap between 2 and 3 is big. 

48 minutes ago, RutgersJetFan said:

That's fine. Opinions are great. What I'm saying is that the gaps between between the grades in Lynch and Cook and Hackenberg aren't that huge. When that's the case, with any position in the draft but especially quarterback, trading up tends to result in a net loss.

In what universe is the gap between Lynch and Cook/Hack small. It's significant... the gap between Wentz/Goff and Lynch is much smaller, than the one you're speaking of. 

2 minutes ago, Paradis said:

In what universe is the gap between Lynch and Cook/Hack small/not huge. It's significant... the gap between Wentz/Goff and Lynch is much smaller, than the one you're speaking of. 

Agreed.  I won't go totally ballistic i if we picked Cook in the 2nd round or lower.  I'll be ticked off a lot if we draft Hackeneburg at all.

1)  I like Lynch as a prospect and was on his bandwagon half way through the college season.

2) NEVER let a QB's value become artificially higher than you had him ranked just because mother QB's are going and you have a need.

#2 Is how you end up with guys like Locker, Manuel, Ponder, Gabbert....etc.

I would like Lynch, I would not be in favor of a huge resource use to go get him because I am not sure he is 'the' guy,

The value chart is so dam insane.  Imagine that you have a stud like Mo and you have to package him with a #1 and more picks to get into the part of the draft.   

I would rather have the Buccs trade us Glennon and a pick for Mo.

3 hours ago, RutgersJetFan said:

I don't know. The gap between the 3rd best QB prospect in this draft and like the 6th best prospect doesn't seem that huge. It's 1 and 2 then a bunch of guys. And that's fine, happens every draft in some sort of capacity and one of those guys will probably go on to have some sort of success. But landing the one that does is a matter of luck and I don't see how that's worth trading up for at all.

This is where I'm at, too. Waldman seems to like Lynch, and I'll certainly talk myself into him if that's how it goes, but right now I don't really see an appreciable enouh difference between Lynch in the 1st and Nate Sudfeld in the 5th to get excited about the former, especially if it involves trading up.

3 minutes ago, dbatesman said:

This is where I'm at, too. Waldman seems to like Lynch, and I'll certainly talk myself into him if that's how it goes, but right now I don't really see an appreciable enouh difference between Lynch in the 1st and Nate Sudfeld in the 5th to get excited about the former, especially if it involves trading up.

If they want to take a shot at trading s few slots up for a QB with a marginal first round grade, ok fair enough. It just better not involve Mo or any future firsts. 

11 minutes ago, BurnleyJet said:

We aren't in the Lynch conversation any more, He's going to Cleveland at 8 or even Dallas (Romo Getting old). Do we really want to pay a Kings ransom for Paxton Fooking Lynch!

Get Tampa on the Blower, throw a 3rd at them for Mike Glennon.

at this point i think we're going defense again in the first round and then getting either cook or hackenberg in the 2nd.  it's consistent with how they're scouting, and also i can see them trading back in the first round and getting extra picks.  

9 minutes ago, RutgersJetFan said:

If they want to take a shot at trading s few slots up for a QB with a marginal first round grade, ok fair enough. It just better not involve Mo or any future firsts. 

But how long are we gonna play that game? At some point, unless you're the worst team in the league (something 2 or 3 teams have a monopoly on annually), we're never going to get that "perfect" window... Lynch aside, i'm speaking purely in ideology. You gotta grow some balls when it comes to drafting franchise QBs. 

You don't want to be the GM saying ya, we missed on him because the other team was willing to move up 4 more spots. that's BS

21 minutes ago, RutgersJetFan said:

And to take that one step further, not only is it a challenge to "wait around" for a top QB, or the gambling game of taking chances one the Petty's of the league (which works out 1/30 times)... but you end up doing to compensate for NOT moving up for Lynch  -- is overpaying for Fitz, or Bradford, etc etc

Let me ask you... what's worse?

-giving up a first next year and to move up

--spending 50 million on Brock Osweiler.

Just now, Paradis said:

But how long are we gonna play that game? At some point, unless you're the worst team in the league (something 2 or 3 teams have a monopoly on annually), we're never going to get that "perfect" window... Lynch aside, i'm speaking purely in ideology. You gotta grow some balls when it comes to drafting franchise QBs. 

You don't want to be the GM saying ya, we missed on him because the other team was willing to move up 4 more spots. that's BS

Which super bowl winning teams got that way trading away multiple 1sts/2nds/3rds to land a franchise QB? Serious question. I honestly don't know, but I can't recall it happening. Most of the time those teams had QBs fall in their lap after a bad year or when they find one later in the draft. 

2 minutes ago, Paradis said:

And to take that one step further, not only is it a challenge to "wait around" for a top QB, or the gambling game of taking chances one the Petty's of the league (which works out 1/30 times)... but you end up doing to compensate for NOT moving up for Lynch  -- is overpaying for Fitz, or Bradford, etc etc

Let me ask you... what's worse?

-giving up a first next year and to move up

--spending 50 million on Brock Osweiler.

texans, rams and eagles.  who will the next desperate qb team be to completely overpay for a mediocre qb?  come on down, you're then next contestant on, the price is wrong.

2 minutes ago, JoJoTownsell1 said:

Which super bowl winning teams got that way trading away multiple 1sts/2nds/3rds to land a franchise QB? Serious question. I honestly don't know, but I can't recall it happening. Most of the time those teams had QBs fall in their lap after a bad year or when they find one later in the draft. 

NYG won a couple.

Archived