Would you trade up for Lynch?

Patriot Killa

If rumors swirl in the middle of the draft and Maccag gets wind a team wants Lynch like he did with Petty...do you trade up? Is Lynch's upside worth it? More importantly how much is a fair amount to give up? I for one love his arm strength and has shown he can not only throw in NYC wind but he has shown something a lot of QB's coming out of the air raid system haven't and that is the ability to read defenses. Comparison..well athletically a rich mans Brock Osweiler. He surely has the upside of beinf a long term starter in the NFL with some polish. Thoughts? 

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just a guess but I think if he gets by Chi, we need to move up.  SF may move down, but stay in front of us, or Denver will surely be trying to move up in front of us.  

There is no way either of those teams want to go into the season with Gabbart/Kap and Sanchez as starters.

It depends on how high you would have to trade up and what you would have to give up.

I WOULD NOT trade up into the top 10. But I WOULD trade up to 15 (Titans). 

I don't believe SF or PHI will take him at 7 or 8. Its simply too high to take the gamble and there is simply too much great talent on the board at that point in the draft. Could they move back, but ahead of 20 and take him? Of course. But they have to have a partner that isn't targeting Lynch. That's not always as easy as it seems.

You also have to think about teams that may want to move up from the bottom of the first (Broncos?) or even the 2nd round to take him. Maybe SF or PHI is willing to take a different player at 7 or 8 but also trade up into the teens to take Lynch. Who knows. 

Purely as a prospect, Lynch is barely a 1st rounder. Although he has great upside, he is raw and a gamble. Because he is a QB in a weak QB draft, and b/c of his upside I think he could be as high as a top 10 pick. But b/c he is a project could go much lower, pretty much anywhere in the first round.     

The Jets have to move up to AT LEAST 15 to secure him. If they really like him, I'm all for it.    

1 hour ago, Patriot Killa said:

If rumors swirl in the middle of the draft and Maccag gets wind a team wants Lynch like he did with Petty...do you trade up? Is Lynch's upside worth it? More importantly how much is a fair amount to give up? I for one love his arm strength and has shown he can not only throw in NYC wind but he has shown something a lot of QB's coming out of the air raid system haven't and that is the ability to read defenses. Comparison..well athletically a rich mans Brock Osweiler. He surely has the upside of beinf a long term starter in the NFL with some polish. Thoughts? 

How far?  If I liked him, and I do like his arm strength.  But I have never seen him play and have no idea how smart he is or what.  We do need a big arm to play in Jersey.  I will trust our FO--- who have shown me that they are not going to be swayed by a QB playing over his head or by outrageous kudos for their D lineman. They are not going to be influenced.  If they want to trade up for him, i will accept it.

3 minutes ago, jack48 said:

How far?  If I liked him, and I do like his arm strength.  But I have never seen him play and have no idea how smart he is or what.  We do need a big arm to play in Jersey.  I will trust our FO--- who have shown me that they are not going to be swayed by a QB playing over his head or by outrageous kudos for their D lineman. They are not going to be influenced.  If they want to trade up for him, i will accept it.

The best thing about lynch is his pocket presence and arm strength 

if if the play isn't there initially, he will stand in the pocket and wait for a guy to get open then sling it, if he doesn't see a guy getting open he takes off running. 

I think  that would be a pretty good testament to how smart he is

Hell no.  Lynch demonstrated happy feet and the pattern of retreating and/or throwing off his back foot when faced with any pressure.

Delivering the ball while stepping up in the pocket is not important to him.  Meanwhile, avoiding contact and his cutesy hair style are higher on his priority list.

2nd-3rd round prospect in my eyes.

1 hour ago, ChuckkieB said:

The the Jets think Lynch is the guy, they should do whatever it takes to pull the trigger.

This 100%...It all comes down to whether McCags believes any of the QB's we can get in the first round is THE GUY.   If they do, by all means do what is necessary.  On the flip side, if they are not convinced, then don't bother wasting assets on them.   If one falls and we want to take a chance fine....otherwise roll with the garbage we have until we find someone worth the necessary assets...in other words don't reach if not convinced and don't take the next best QB just to take a QB.

1 minute ago, sourceworx said:

I'm going to get ripped for this, but....I'd rather get Hackenberg later in the draft. I think with good coaching he can be a very good QB.

of all the qbs in the draft, please don't let the jets get jones or hack.  at least lynch and cook have a chance.

2 minutes ago, sourceworx said:

I'm going to get ripped for this, but....I'd rather get Hackenberg later in the draft. I think with good coaching he can be a very good QB.

We need a QB that can have some sort of impact NOW.  We already have one project QB on the roster.  No need for two.  We need a QB that has a chance to win games THIS year.

7 minutes ago, ChuckkieB said:

We need a QB that can have some sort of impact NOW.  We already have one project QB on the roster.  No need for two.  We need a QB that has a chance to win games THIS year.

Lynch isn't that guy. He's Bryce Petty with better measurables.

11 minutes ago, Augustiniak said:

of all the qbs in the draft, please don't let the jets get jones or hack.  at least lynch and cook have a chance.

I think Hack is less of a project than Lynch is. He excelled in a pro system, making multiple reads. Lynch never had to do that. 

2 minutes ago, ChuckkieB said:

That might very well be the case, but if the Jets brass thinks that he's the guy, then they have to go and get him.

If that's who they like, then I agree. But in my opinion, he's as raw as Petty was last year. I wouldn't move up for him.

And as I mentioned earlier, I think Hackenberg can be really good. I think aside from the fact that he took a beating the last two years, he also looked extremely uncomfortable in the system the new coaching staff ran. And it showed in his performance. I wouldn't mind using the #20 pick on a receiver or pass rusher, and drafting Hackenberg in the 2nd or 3rd.

27 minutes ago, ChuckkieB said:

Who would you suggest?  

37 minutes ago, sourceworx said:

Definitely in the minority here with you, but I love Hack's potential. I watched a lot of his 3 years at Penn and that first year running a pro system at 18 was impressive. I'm someone who believes that he was ruines by his new coach, system, and horrible oline. Not saying hes flawless, no one is. But in the right system he can be good. 

Lynch is sort of in the same boat for me, except he's never proven he can run a pro system and read defenses. But his talent and physical attritbutes are insane. If this guy is groomed well and steps up to the plate and learns a pro system, 6'7", mobile with a rocket arm, that's basically a "create-your-own-Quarterback" in Madden.

So yes, I'd trade up for him. No tipped balls, windy Jersey weather irrelevant to him, alluding rush, avoiding sacks, hitting deep bombs. He's the guy we nees if Gaily and Bowles feel they can coach him up.

I feel like Lynch year one can have a bigger impact than Hoyer, Geno or even Fitz this year. Last year is a different story and a different schedule. This year Fitz won't be as good so why not let this season go to Lynch who can at least take it and run with it opposed to losing with Fitz and not having something to look forward to because we all know Fitz isn't getting any better by the season. His ceiling is reached. He is as devolped as he is getting at 33. At least Lynches arm can get the ball where it needs to go.

27 minutes ago, sourceworx said:

I think Hack is less of a project than Lynch is. He excelled in a pro system, making multiple reads. Lynch never had to do that. 

Excelled?  I'm looking in the rear view mirror and excelled was some time ago for him.

2 minutes ago, Adoni Beast said:

Definitely in the minority here with you, but I love Hack's potential. I watched a lot of his 3 years at Penn and that first year running a pro system at 18 was impressive. I'm someone who believes that he was ruines by his new coach, system, and horrible oline. Not saying hes flawless, no one is. But in the right system he can be good. 

Lynch is sort of in the same boat for me, except he's never proven he can run a pro system and read defenses. But his talent and physical attritbutes are insane. If this guy is groomed well and steps up to the plate and learns a pro system, 6'7", mobile with a rocket arm, that's basically a "create-your-own-Quarterback" in Madden.

So yes, I'd trade up for him. No tipped balls, windy Jersey weather irrelevant to him, alluding rush, avoiding sacks, hitting deep bombs. He's the guy we nees if Gaily and Bowles feel they can coach him up.

Except he HAS shown he can read defenses.

1 minute ago, Adoni Beast said:

I understand. Lynch has ridiculous physical ability. I get why people love him. But I think his transition to the NFL will be more difficult than Hackenberg's. And Hackenberg's physical talent is nothing to sneeze at, either. His arm is a cannon. 

Just now, sourceworx said:

I understand. Lynch has ridiculous physical ability. I get why people love him. But I think his transition to the NFL will be more difficult than Hackenberg's. And Hackenberg's physical talent is nothing to sneeze at, either. His arm is a cannon. 

whenever i watched hackenberg, he looked stiff and had virtually no instincts/feel for the position.  i've read his confidence is shot.  this is not the guy i'd want to groom.  i'd prefer an athletic guy like lynch who can beat you in multiple ways and comes in with a positive aura, a confident guy from a smaller school with something to prove.

11 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

Excelled?  I'm looking in the rear view mirror and excelled was some time ago for him.

He's not without any red flags. That's why he'll likely be there in the second round. I just think there's potential there. 

2 minutes ago, Augustiniak said:

whenever i watched hackenberg, he looked stiff and had virtually no instincts/feel for the position.  i've read his confidence is shot.  this is not the guy i'd want to groom.  i'd prefer an athletic guy like lynch who can beat you in multiple ways and comes in with a positive aura, a confident guy from a smaller school with something to prove.

Again, I think he looked very uncomfortable in the system that was installed when O'Brien left, and it showed. But I think in the right system he can become an excellent player. 

Just now, sourceworx said:

Again, I think he looked very uncomfortable in the system that was installed when O'Brien left, and it showed. But I think in the right system he can become an excellent player. 

in the right system i think he can be better than he was.  hack is tall with a strong arm, and that's it.  everything else needs work, his mechanics, accuracy, confidence, pocket movement, etc.  i'd rather the jets get cook, who i believe is underrated, can already read defenses, gets the ball out quickly and if anything is cocky.  

13 minutes ago, sourceworx said:

Not all QB's who come out of a pro style offense have easy transitions or even an advantage as far as reading defenses goes. Literally all they have done more of is drop back.

1 minute ago, Augustiniak said:

in the right system i think he can be better than he was.  hack is tall with a strong arm, and that's it.  everything else needs work, his mechanics, accuracy, confidence, pocket movement, etc.  i'd rather the jets get cook, who i believe is underrated, can already read defenses, gets the ball out quickly and if anything is cocky.  

The "not being voted captain" stuff bothers me with Cook. I know they're trying to downplay it, but it's concerning. We already have a QB that no one on the team respects (Geno). We don't need another one. 

I like his confidence though. 

Archived