Would you trade up for Lynch?

Patriot Killa

22 minutes ago, Patriot Killa said:

Except he HAS shown he can read defenses.

All the better then! Lol I was already on board for Lynch. I haven't seen enough of his games in full, and was under the impreasion that his offense was based on a lot of roll outs/screens/and his own creativity on the run. But Big Ben had made a career out of that, so hey either way I'm all for Lynch. I'd be happy with Hackenberg. 

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, sourceworx said:

The "not being voted captain" stuff bothers me with Cook. I know they're trying to downplay it, but it's concerning. We already have a QB that no one on the team respects (Geno). We don't need another one. 

I like his confidence though. 

i've read a few articles on the captain thing.  it turns out he was the next highest vote getter, so he missed by one man.  the guys who were the offensive captains were all highly respected seniors.  i watched an espn special with him training for his pro day, he sounds smart.  

1 minute ago, Adoni Beast said:

All the better then! Lol I was already on board for Lynch. I haven't seen enough of his games in full, and was under the impreasion that his offense was based on a lot of roll outs/screens/and his own creativity on the run. But Big Ben had made a career out of that, so hey either way I'm all for Lynch. I'd be happy with Hackenberg. 

He has very good patience. Looks off defenders and will take off for the scramble or throw it away if he doesn't see his guy open. This is also true by simply looking at his TD/INT ratio. He only threw 4 interceptions last season opposed to 28 touchdowns.

Greatest myth of the draft season?    "...that Lynch is so raw"

really? Really.... you're basing that on what? The offense he runs? Which is the same sh*t different pile that 80% of college runs, including Goff. I'd wager he'd play better in year 1 than Wentz, you can bet your ass on that. 

3 hours ago, New York Mick said:

There's already a thread about this and no, there's no reason to. You could trade back and get him. 

I already got $50 on with Bit, i can go for double or nothing if you got the balls

2 minutes ago, Paradis said:

Greatest myth of the draft season?    "...that Lynch is so raw"

really? Really.... you're basing that on wait? The offense he runs? Which is the same sh*t different pile that 80% of college runs, including Goff. I'd wager he'd play better in year 1 than Wentz, you can bet your ass on that. 

If he's a better prospect and equally as ready as Goff/Wentz then I assume at least 1 GM will agree with you and move to the top few picks to snag him. No one let's that type of talent drop to the middle/end of the 1st round......

Even Ryan Tannehill, who played WR for much of his career in college and only started 1 year plus a couple of games in college was snagged in the top 10. 

1 hour ago, Pcola said:

Who would you suggest?  

A Qb that we can get late in the 1st that could be ready game 1 and evolve into a franchise QB is Cook. Lynch has more upside, but from what I saw of him in college he needs work. Guys like Hackenburg/Jones are projects with Jones being a LONG term project while Hackenburg could step in sooner than some think. 

I'm sick of this narrative from fans about wasting draft picks if we take a shot on a qb. Those extra picks (if they even develop into qualitypmayers) without a true qb will only be the difference between us going 6-10 and 8-8 or 7-9 and 9-7. 

Some masochistic Jet fans are satisfies with that so they can tell their friends and co-workers "hey we dont suck we beat the giants and patriots in the regular season." But thats not good enough for me.

I want rings! plural (in case the "s" wasnt explanatory enough. I don't to tell my friends the Jets are ok and not a joke.

I want to take a green and white sh!t with gold foil and ram it down their throat. I want print out every "sane old Jets article I can find, print them out, wipe my ass with it and mail it to every Pats, Giants, Bills, Dolphins fan I know. But I can't do any of that because we had an extra 2 picks we saved and never got a franchise QB. 

I honestly didn't like his personality on Gruden's sit down with him.  An ok guy but seemed unsure of himself and a bit laid back.

We need a QB and he's tall with a great arm so I'd take him, but I don't think I'd give up more assets than #20.  But obviously I don't know sh*t so I'm fine with whatever Mac does.

1 hour ago, Pcola said:

Who would you suggest?  

Goff or Lynch.  And if they pass or cant pick either, I'm fine with throwing Petty to the wolves to see what he has.  Anything but another year with a retread veteran QB at the helm is fine by me.  If you're not moving forwards, you're moving backwards

3 hours ago, Patriot Killa said:

If rumors swirl in the middle of the draft and Maccag gets wind a team wants Lynch like he did with Petty...do you trade up? Is Lynch's upside worth it? More importantly how much is a fair amount to give up? I for one love his arm strength and has shown he can not only throw in NYC wind but he has shown something a lot of QB's coming out of the air raid system haven't and that is the ability to read defenses. Comparison..well athletically a rich mans Brock Osweiler. He surely has the upside of beinf a long term starter in the NFL with some polish. Thoughts? 

No. I'd rather take Kevin Hogan in the 3rd. Im not really sold on Paxton Lynch or Connor Cook to be honest. I really like Wentz and I think Goff is okay...but neither one of them are worth imo to up 18 or 19 spots for. Not because of their talent, but for the fact that we need to get faster and younger in other places as well. 

I'd wait until the third round then I would trade up ahead of both Philly and San Francisco and draft Kevin Hogan. The pick isnt sexy because the QB isnt sexy....but this guy isnt a bad quarterback and I've given my thoughts in the draft section of the forum that I believe that Kevin Hogan is the better prospect over Lynch and Cook. They both have better a better arm in terms of strength, but I havent seen anything else from either Lynch or Cook that I can say they can do better than Hogan. 

28 minutes ago, JoJoTownsell1 said:

A Qb that we can get late in the 1st that could be ready game 1 and evolve into a franchise QB is Cook. Lynch has more upside, but from what I saw of him in college he needs work. Guys like Hackenburg/Jones are projects with Jones being a LONG term project while Hackenburg could step in sooner than some think. 

My problems with Cook are marginal arm and terrible completion percentage.  He is basically Mark Sanchez without the charisma and leadership.  IMO, he has less upside the Geno which says that it's a wasted pick.  Yes he could probably play this year but he would be light years behind Fitz.  

If we don't move up for Goff or Lynch, we might as well not draft a QB this year unless it's in the 7th round so we can stash him on our practice squad for a couple of years.

57 minutes ago, Tinstar said:

my answer to the OPs inquiry is no .

Exactly. What do teams expect when they draft 1st, 2nd and 3rd rounders. In my opinion 1st rounders are expected starters, 2nd and 3rd rounders need to be contributors. Jets have needs and to give up these types of players for a project QB is dumb especially when you have one of these on your roster makes no sense.

41 minutes ago, Bocajetfan said:

Exactly. What do teams expect when they draft 1st, 2nd and 3rd rounders. In my opinion 1st rounders are expected starters, 2nd and 3rd rounders need to be contributors. Jets have needs and to give up these types of players for a project QB is dumb especially when you have one of these on your roster makes no sense.

All QB's are a project coming into this league, expecting production from a rookie QB is not realistic no matter what round you take him in

Just now, cant wait said:

All QB's are a project coming into this league, expecting production from a rookie QB is not realistic no matter what round you take him in

Absolutely but to give up picks even with Mo included which is what it would take due to Mo's cost in an extended contract and your teams having holes to fill. A trade up makes no sense in my opinion.

12 minutes ago, Scoop24 said:

they will need to go up to about #15 to secure him if he makes it past the niners imo..

i like lynch but i think it's a sad state in the nfl when you would have to trade up in the first round for a guy who shouldn't play his rookie year.  

38 minutes ago, Augustiniak said:

i like lynch but i think it's a sad state in the nfl when you would have to trade up in the first round for a guy who shouldn't play his rookie year.  

same way guys like Derek Carr and Mariotta was suppose to be 2 years away? Good Coaching goes a long way speeding up that progress imo. i have no problem taking him and Coaching him up.. i think  Gailey would do a great job with him. and if where fortunate we resign Fitz and he can sit a learn for year thats even better.. Raw is not a word I'm afraid of anymore when it comes to QBs. For once i would love to get a QB prospect with Prototype tools no limitations . and to develop him in a system where he has great coaching and REAL Playmakers to work with. Sanchez had many physical limitations , and Geno was groomed terribly forced into action early while his best playmaker was jeremy kerley.. 

4 hours ago, Scoop24 said:

same way guys like Derek Carr and Mariotta was suppose to be 2 years away? Good Coaching goes a long way speeding up that progress imo. i have no problem taking him and Coaching him up.. i think  Gailey would do a great job with him. and if where fortunate we resign Fitz and he can sit a learn for year thats even better.. Raw is not a word I'm afraid of anymore when it comes to QBs. For once i would love to get a QB prospect with Prototype tools no limitations . and to develop him in a system where he has great coaching and REAL Playmakers to work with. Sanchez had many physical limitations , and Geno was groomed terribly forced into action early while his best playmaker was jeremy kerley.. 

the espn gurus think lynch needs 3 years on the bench, which is crazy.  some guys work, some don't.  some get it, some don't.  

I don't know. The gap between the 3rd best QB prospect in this draft and like the 6th best prospect doesn't seem that huge. It's 1 and 2 then a bunch of guys. And that's fine, happens every draft in some sort of capacity and one of those guys will probably go on to have some sort of success. But landing the one that does is a matter of luck and I don't see how that's worth trading up for at all.

Just now, RutgersJetFan said:

I don't know. The gap between the 3rd best QB prospect in this draft and like the 6th best prospect doesn't seem that huge. It's 1 and 2 then a bunch of guys. And that's fine, one of those guys will probably go on to have some sort of success. But that's a matter of luck and I don't see how that's worth trading up for at all.

i think it's more like the top 2 guys are more ready than the rest.  in 3 years i think lynch may be the best one of all.

Just now, Augustiniak said:

i think it's more like the top 2 guys are more ready than the rest.  in 3 years i think lynch may be the best one of all.

That's fine. Opinions are great. What I'm saying is that the gaps between between the grades in Lynch and Cook and Hackenberg aren't that huge. When that's the case, with any position in the draft but especially quarterback, trading up tends to result in a net loss.

Archived