Colon: Jets Unrepared for Week 17 Loss

JetNation

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, bitonti said:

for all the s--t Jets fans like to talk about Rex, he gets his team prepared for what other cities would consider meaningless games, and he knows the Jets better than Bowles. He owned our asses last year. 

put it another way if Rex was the coach when the team got swept by the bills and missed the playoffs, we'd run him out of town on a rail 

Rex was the coach when the team got swept by the Bills, though.  Rex does have a tendency to come up big in the "meaningless" games, to bad the same wasn't said about the meaningful ones.

1 minute ago, gEYno said:

Also, and no one likes to hear this.  We lost to the Bills not because we were unprepared, but because we match up very poorly against them.  Just as we did the season before when Rex was the coach.

Also the offense seemed to shut down whenever Bilal Powell was out of the lineup, as he was in both games against the Bills

7 minutes ago, gEYno said:

Rex was the coach when the team got swept by the Bills, though.  Rex does have a tendency to come up big in the "meaningless" games, to bad the same wasn't said about the meaningful ones.

again, how do you get to 2 conf title games w/o winning meaningful games?

4 minutes ago, gEYno said:

Also, and no one likes to hear this.  We lost to the Bills not because we were unprepared, but because we match up very poorly against them.  Just as we did the season before when Rex was the coach.

one team looked spooked by the wind, the other it didn't affect at all.  we were outplayed and outcoached.  It was an embarrassment.

1 minute ago, nyjunc said:

again, how do you get to 2 conf title games w/o winning meaningful games?

one team looked spooked by the wind, the other it didn't affect at all.  we were outplayed and outcoached.  It was an embarrassment.

No one suggested that Rex never won a meaningful game.  But, the team got drubbed when it counted most in back to back years.

Also, I guess Bowles forgot to have the "don't be afraid of the wind" meeting.  Rex was all about that.

You don't like hearing the truth?

That game was more on Bowles than it was on Fitz.

How can a team be so totally unprepared for a win-and-in game?

They came out flat and looked unprepared. I'm not arguing with his point. That doesn't change the fact that I'm sick of Colon's mouth. He's not even on the team and was drawing personal fouls in a sun cap on the sideline.

Just now, gEYno said:

No one suggested that Rex never won a meaningful game.  But, the team got drubbed when it counted most in back to back years.

Also, I guess Bowles forgot to have the "don't be afraid of the wind" meeting.  Rex was all about that.

I wouldn't say drubbed, we led Indy in the 2nd half and then we were w/in a score w/ plenty of time to play at Pitt.

you think it was coincidence that the wind affected us and not them?

1 minute ago, nyjunc said:

I wouldn't say drubbed, we led Indy in the 2nd half and then we were w/in a score w/ plenty of time to play at Pitt.

you think it was coincidence that the wind affected us and not them?

No, I'm conceding the point.  Obviously Rex had a wind meeting.  Probably even consulted with Al Roker.  Bowles was too stupid to think of this.

6 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

Too stupid? Maybe he was just too busy making shrimp sandwich.

This is the Jets, not New Orleans... We're not supposed to be eating shrimp sandwiches and embarrassingly unprepared for the weather.

1 hour ago, bitonti said:

Firing coaches every 5 years is not a winning formula. It just lowers the fan outrage briefly. I know that's like your favorite thing ever but let's be honest the difference between a Rex and a Bowles isn't as great as people believe.

The elite players dictate the outcomes in these games. not the coaches. "Getting the team prepared" is just some word salad.  unless they are blatantly cheating like Belly (or absolutely incompetent like Rich Kotite, or Chip Kelly running the same play over and over), there's not much that can be done. 

Firing a bad coach is good practice at five years or five minutes. 

A significant factor in week 17 was that the Jets had no answer when Revis showed he could not get it done in man coverage.  My recollection is it since came out he was hurt, but why no Plan B?  Could be a roster factor.

It wasn't all on Fitz at all, but how much of the problems with Revis were lack of in game adjustments rather than game prep?  THat's the key.

9 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

Firing a bad coach is good practice at five years or five minutes. 

if the coach is historically bad like Kotite, sure. If he's over his head like Chip Kelly, why not. But I don't see Rex as a bad coach, nor Bowles. They are good defensive coaches who will go as far as their best players take them. Or in other words like almost every other coach, ever.

Belly was a failure until Brady figured out all those ways to cheat. 

Bill Parcells didn't win sh*t until LT showed up. 

coaches coach and players play. The coaches don't really factor into it. Not as much as people believe.

And the salaries paid to a coach vs a QB reflect that truth. 

4 hours ago, bitonti said:

for all the s--t Jets fans like to talk about Rex, he gets his team prepared for what other cities would consider meaningless games, and he knows the Jets better than Bowles. He owned our asses last year. 

put it another way if Rex was the coach when the team got swept by the bills and missed the playoffs, we'd run him out of town on a rail 

Perhaps...  But I don't know a single JETS fan who thinks Bowles did a great job.  He is a rookie HC who in my view, under whelmed on the sideline from XXXs and OOOs.  His demeanor and quiet resolve were welcome but REXs coaching wasn't his downfall as much as his inability to manage an entire team.

7 minutes ago, bitonti said:

if the coach is historically bad like Kotite, sure. If he's over his head like Chip Kelly, why not. But I don't see Rex as a bad coach, nor Bowles. They are good defensive coaches who will go as far as their best players take them. Or in other words like almost every other coach, ever.

coaches coach and players play. The coaches don't really factor into it. Not as much as people believe.

I agree for the most part but BP inherited LT, LT was a rookie in '81 and BP took over in '83.

24 minutes ago, bitonti said:

Rex was an ignoramus with a ton of red flags coming in. Despite the quick start, he was a bad hire. Bowles, at least, acts like a head coach. I don't think he should be fired, obviously, and there's plenty to like, but he has plenty to prove next year. 

5 hours ago, bitonti said:

More like almost every normal person will give a rookie HC who had a better record than the season before, the benefit of the doubt.

You like to non-chalantly antagonize. I love your work.

2 hours ago, bitonti said:

LT was a All Pro from his rookie year 1981 when the Tuna was just the DC he wasn't the HC till 1983 when they went 3-12-1.. BB actually had a good year in 94 went 11-5 and knocked out the Pats in the 1st rd of the playoffs..

NO NO NO it's all on Fitz come on Calon haven't you bin paying attention to this board. Dam it's Fitz the bum. Don't know what  has come over me. Actually think Fitz is the best fit. Must have bin reading to many post and stopped thinking. Sorry?

Archived