Maybe its a 2 year plan…...

HighPitch

lets face it, we all know that the top two guys are gone and lynch is going to be tough. Either way, who is lynch anyways? its a crapshoot.

We also know this year, no matter who our plays qb, we are not going to the super bowl. Even a wildcard will be tough.

So, Mac is supposed to be smart. He should know this as well. So maybe the plan is to get a young stud WR, a good OL and an OLB this draft, continue with needs in the following draft and address the qb situation next year when we have a lot more cap space. In other words, put the supporting cast together and find a win now effective QB through free agency.

So who is going to be a good free agent QB next year? This win now approach hasn't worked for us

18 minutes ago, HighPitch said:

lets face it, we all know that the top two guys are gone and lynch is going to be tough. Either way, who is lynch anyways? its a crapshoot.

We also know this year, no matter who our plays qb, we are not going to the super bowl. Even a wildcard will be tough.

So, Mac is supposed to be smart. He should know this as well. So maybe the plan is to get a young stud WR, a good OL and an OLB this draft, continue with needs in the following draft and address the qb situation next year when we have a lot more cap space. In other words, put the supporting cast together and find a win now effective QB through free agency.

So who is going to be a good free agent QB next year? This win now approach hasn't worked for us

Not sure if you are serious but there are two types of free agent QBs.  The Fitzpatrick, and Hoyer types.  The ones who can't even get offers from teams with no current QB answer.  

Then there are the Osweiler, Bradford types.  These cost you $18M per making them the highest paid player on your team yet everyone knows they have never proved anything in the league or proven they aren't the long term answer for anyone.

Aaron Rodgers is never going to be a free agent.  Maybe we can sign a 40 year old Drew Bree's for $20M or maybe we can get Farve back for one last run?

25 minutes ago, UpstateJetsGuru said:

Agree. Taking a chance on a first round project does nothing to fill the numerous needs of this team with high quality players and will essentially make this team weaker, especially considering the lack of picks in this draft. 

So these other "high quality" picks are non-projects & a sure thing? 

52 minutes ago, HighPitch said:

Good QBs don't hit free agency.  Also, next year's draft class is very weak.

1 minute ago, afosomf said:

Bullcrap Watson is a stud and would go #1 in this yrs draft as well

RIF (Reading Is Fundamental).  One prospect does not make a draft class.  Unless the plan is to trade the farm to draft Watson #1 next year, waiting to get a QB in next year class is a high risk proposition.  I'd bet whoever gets that #1 pick will probably need Watson on their team.  Not to mention, he'll be a true junior next year and may not come out; then what?

1 minute ago, legler82 said:

RIF (Reading Is Fundamental).  One prospect does not make a draft class.  Unless the plan is to trade the farm to draft Watson #1 next year, waiting to get a QB in next year class is a high risk proposition.  I'd bet whoever gets that #1 pick will probably need Watson on their team.  Not to mention, he'll be a true junior next year and may not come out; then what?

Watson is on the andrew luck level ...watson is 100% coming out... trade the farm for this kid

4 minutes ago, Colgateman said:

Mac is a smart guy, I believe what he is trying to do is build a young core for whatever Qb we get rather that is Lynch or petty is reasy, he wants to put them in the best situation where they won't struggle much

One thing for sure he must improve is special teams...that unit last year was liable to sink any QB. Cost us field position in virtually every game, terrible return game, missed clutch field goals, fumbled kick-off for TD...I could go on.

This "Tank for Watson" talk is laughable, mon.

You think we should flub away an entire season to then trade multiple farm(s) to go up and get a 6'2, 200 running QB who doesn't play in a pro-style offense, who has only played ONE injury-free season (as a split-time QB in his true Freshman season he broke his hand, sprained his LCL, and tore his ACL)...what could possibly go wrong?!  

Last year this time it was "Tank for Cardele" now he can be had in the third round.

Before he decided to go back to school, Connor Cook was a top-5 QB...folks thought we shoulda tanked to be able to draft him.  Now there's talk he starting to creep back into the first round. 

There is no tanking in the NFL.  If you want a player, you pull out your wienie like LA and PHI did, you put it on the table, and you go get your guy AFTER the season/off-season/college championship/etc. and you make your decision with all of the information available to you this time next year. 

NOT in September.  

55 minutes ago, legler82 said:

Good QBs don't hit free agency.  Also, next year's draft class is very weak.

Right now next year is a two man race with Watson and Kaaya and a third guy that could sneak up is Chad Kelly. After that the class take a nose-dive in terms of talent.  Maybe someone else will break out and emerge, but I like this class more.  The only big prize worth mayyyyyybe "waiting" for is Josh Rosen in 2018, but he's going to be a #1 overall kind of guy if my feelings on him are right.  Not only do I think that's unrealistic, but it's honestly, imo, dumb to sit around year after year. You like a guy, pull the damn trigger.

1 hour ago, HighPitch said:

I'm sure it's just off-season optimism, but I think we may have a puncher's chance this season.  If Mo sticks around and we draft another contributor to rush the QB, who knows?  All ya gotta do is get to the playoffs and then anything can happen.  Especially with a good D.

Just have to make the right call at QB.  Anyone can do well with Marshall and Decker (as seen with Fitz doing OK last year).  Add in Forte?  Not bad.

We may start a bit slow given the schedule, but Tommy Boy is also suspended 4 games.  Could be a fun season.

first off i never said intentionally tank the season. im just saying what we know today, the night before the draft: aside from glennon and lynch longshots, there is nobody else. there just isnt.

of course any ot, olb, wr can bust but the difference is we CAN grab what are SUPPOSED to be good ones now, unlike any qb. were just not in that position thats all.

i also find it funny that people say there will be NO quality free agent QBs available 1 year from today, or draft choices and we havent even let the next season play out both in the nfl and college. they say the same thing every year and then theres an explosion of hype just before the draft, as there is this year with cook, paxton and hackenburg.

And yes, imo, certain positions tend to have a much higher bust potential than others. i would say the OL bust rate is far lower than the qb bust rate. not looking to argue, but thats my experience. if you feel that every position in football has the exact same bust rate, youre welcome to believe it.

Thats why id rather use picks to fill holes than waste them on qb projects.

i never expected aaron rodgers to be a jet next year. my original q was who will be? im looking for just above average starters. thats not a pipe dream. drafting the next aaron rogers, imo , sure is though

3 hours ago, Greenseed4 said:

This "Tank for Watson" talk is laughable, mon.

You think we should flub away an entire season to then trade multiple farm(s) to go up and get a 6'2, 200 running QB who doesn't play in a pro-style offense, who has only played ONE injury-free season (as a split-time QB in his true Freshman season he broke his hand, sprained his LCL, and tore his ACL)...what could possibly go wrong?!  

Last year this time it was "Tank for Cardele" now he can be had in the third round.

Before he decided to go back to school, Connor Cook was a top-5 QB...folks thought we shoulda tanked to be able to draft him.  Now there's talk he starting to creep back into the first round. 

There is no tanking in the NFL.  If you want a player, you pull out your wienie like LA and PHI did, you put it on the table, and you go get your guy AFTER the season/off-season/college championship/etc. and you make your decision with all of the information available to you this time next year. 

NOT in September.  

I remember there was talk of "tank for Connor Cook" a season or two ago.

8 hours ago, Mike135 said:

I'm sure it's just off-season optimism, but I think we may have a puncher's chance this season.  If Mo sticks around and we draft another contributor to rush the QB, who knows?  All ya gotta do is get to the playoffs and then anything can happen.  Especially with a good D.

Just have to make the right call at QB.  Anyone can do well with Marshall and Decker (as seen with Fitz doing OK last year).  Add in Forte?  Not bad.

We may start a bit slow given the schedule, but Tommy Boy is also suspended 4 games.  Could be a fun season.

This!

We won 10 games last season with the crappies ST play in history.  With or W/o Fitz our QB slot is set up nicely surrounded by skill players.  A little OL help and our offense will be credible once again this year even with Geno/Petty/rookie(or FA) under center.  

Our defense has also improved year over year.  I don't get all the pessimism around here.  Strength of schedule...bah humbug....this is the NFL.  I'm not worried about the schedule....many of those teams should be worrying about us.    

No GM in his right mind is going to tank for anything less than a sure thing and even then it's risky. He, along with his coaching staff is then one disappointing draft pick or one injury away from being out of a job and having his reputation in tatters. It's insane.

I think as Jets fans we like to believe we'd all buy in to this long term plan, but when games are being lost every week and the Jets are resembling an amateur outfit on the field, it's tough to think of it as stage one of a master-plan. More like every single thread would be calling for Mac and Bowles to GTFO. Jesus, just look at what some fans were saying halfway through last season, it was fraud city. 

We didn't sign Matt Forte and Ryan Clady to set up for 2018. We're trying to make the playoffs and win the Superbowl this season, however unlikely that may seem. We have a lot of good pieces to work with - An excellent group of WR's and maybe the best defensive line in the league being the highlights. We're too good to tank and are closer to being playoff ready than we are to #1 overall. 

35 minutes ago, jamesr said:

I also recall reading that Bridgewater would be a lock for the #1 pick.

watch the bama clemson again, i have seen it at least 5 times....Watson threw so many dimes it was surreal. In fact if bama cb had not raked away ball from clemson wr, the game could have ended poorly for bama.  This was best bama def i have seen in my lifetime and watson shredded it. Connor Cook put up a gooseegg. I normally hate all things being Clemson, this kid was the top QB out of HS and has proved it.  There is no BUST in this kid.

1 hour ago, afosomf said:

watch the bama clemson again, i have seen it at least 5 times....Watson threw so many dimes it was surreal. In fact if bama cb had not raked away ball from clemson wr, the game could have ended poorly for bama.  This was best bama def i have seen in my lifetime and watson shredded it. Connor Cook put up a gooseegg. I normally hate all things being Clemson, this kid was the top QB out of HS and has proved it.  There is no BUST in this kid.

That National Championship game was indeed the march of dimes by Watson.  A true sophomore totally shredding one of the top defenses in college football loaded with future NFL players.  Watson is the truth.  The only knock on him is his build.  He is just a notch over 200 lbs and with his narrow shoulders I don't know how much more he can carry.

21 minutes ago, legler82 said:

That National Championship game was indeed the march of dimes by Watson.  A true sophomore totally shredding one of the top defenses in college football loaded with future NFL players.  Watson is the truth.  The only knock on him is his build.  He is just a notch over 200 lbs and with his narrow shoulders I don't know how much more he can carry.

He will get bigger, just a puppy now

The annual super hype of a Qb who had a good year on a stacked team and did well in a nat champ game.  Have to wait for a full year next year before anoint Watson anything because time and again, guys that are 'the truth' go sideways.

As for the ops' comments, this is at least a two year plan.  For me the front office has done most things right so far, a few blips imo re spending the wad last year.  The jets are trying to get that great QB (their attempts to trade up to 1), they will keep trying to get 'the guy' in the meantime make smart picks build the talent level and let the coaches take it year y year.  For the 1st time in a while I think the coach and gm tandem are fully secure for 3 or more years and will be able to execute their plan, whether it works or not we will find out. 

1 hour ago, Beerfish said:

The annual super hype of a Qb who had a good year on a stacked team and did well in a nat champ game.  Have to wait for a full year next year before anoint Watson anything because time and again, guys that are 'the truth' go sideways.

As for the ops' comments, this is at least a two year plan.  For me the front office has done most things right so far, a few blips imo re spending the wad last year.  The jets are trying to get that great QB (their attempts to trade up to 1), they will keep trying to get 'the guy' in the meantime make smart picks build the talent level and let the coaches take it year y year.  For the 1st time in a while I think the coach and gm tandem are fully secure for 3 or more years and will be able to execute their plan, whether it works or not we will find out. 

Plus isn't Watson somewhat of a running QB?  Unless you're the size of Cam Newton that's a recipe for failure.  Even Cam is mostly a thrower.  It's especially the "not for long" league when you take punishing tackles. 

Archived