A surprise visitor in Jets' locker room -- Muhammad Wilkerson

Gas2No99

Rich In-Semen-iESPN Staff Writer

FLORHAM PARK, N.J. -- A person who resembled Muhammad Wilkerson walked in and out of the New York Jets' locker room Wednesday during the media period.

Wait ... it was Wilkerson, the Jets' Pro Bowl defensive end who still hasn't signed his franchise tender.

Wilkerson, who declined to speak with reporters, apparently has made periodic visits to the Jets' facility. Nevertheless, his presence at One Jets Drive could be considered unusual because he's not under contract, technically.

By rule, the two sides have until July 15 to negotiate a long-term contract. Failing that, Wilkerson will play 2016 for the amount of his tender -- $15.7 million. He probably won't sign the tender anytime soon. Once he signs, he's required to attend mandatory team activities, such as next week's minicamp. What's the point? Because he's still rehabbing a surgically repaired broken leg, he wouldn't be able to participate in the minicamp anyway.

That Wilkerson is showing up could be interpreted as a positive sign. Even though he's not happy about his contract situation, he apparently isn't upset to the point that he wants to stay away from his workplace.

Coach Todd Bowles said he didn't see Wilkerson in the building Wednesday. Bowles said he expects every player under contract to attend next week's minicamp. Wilkerson won't be there ... unless he makes another locker-room cameo.

Would suck to lose one of our better players that we drafted, so I hope Mo (& Agents) is starting to realize the reality of his market value and signs for the 1 year tender and then we can REALLY negotiate NEXT SPRING when the Jets are in CAP HEAVEN for the 2017 off-season and could better placate Mo for a LT deal and learn the lesson to start early with Sheldon. 

48 minutes ago, Gas2No99 said:

Would suck to lose one of our better players that we drafted, so I hope Mo (& Agents) is starting to realize the reality of his market value and signs for the 1 year tender and then we can REALLY negotiate NEXT SPRING when the Jets are in CAP HEAVEN for the 2017 off-season and could better placate Mo for a LT deal and learn the lesson to start early with Sheldon. 

His market to the Jets or to the league as a FA?  

A market where Olivier Vernon is making 17+ a year? 

2 hours ago, Gas2No99 said:

We are only projected to have 21 mill next offseason.

Unless he's willing to lower his asking price, he will not be signed anytime soon. He's a great player and a guy this team needs. But at the end of the day if we him what he thinks he's worth, it may compromise Mac's ability to field a winning team. There's only so much salary cap to go around. It's a sad but true fact...

3 hours ago, Gas2No99 said:

Rich In-Semen-iESPN Staff Writer

FLORHAM PARK, N.J. -- A person who resembled Muhammad Wilkerson walked in and out of the New York Jets' locker room Wednesday during the media period.

Wait ... it was Wilkerson, the Jets' Pro Bowl defensive end who still hasn't signed his franchise tender.

Wilkerson, who declined to speak with reporters, apparently has made periodic visits to the Jets' facility. Nevertheless, his presence at One Jets Drive could be considered unusual because he's not under contract, technically.

By rule, the two sides have until July 15 to negotiate a long-term contract. Failing that, Wilkerson will play 2016 for the amount of his tender -- $15.7 million. He probably won't sign the tender anytime soon. Once he signs, he's required to attend mandatory team activities, such as next week's minicamp. What's the point? Because he's still rehabbing a surgically repaired broken leg, he wouldn't be able to participate in the minicamp anyway.

That Wilkerson is showing up could be interpreted as a positive sign. Even though he's not happy about his contract situation, he apparently isn't upset to the point that he wants to stay away from his workplace.

Coach Todd Bowles said he didn't see Wilkerson in the building Wednesday. Bowles said he expects every player under contract to attend next week's minicamp. Wilkerson won't be there ... unless he makes another locker-room cameo.

Muhammad Wilkerson was there probably just to use the training facility/staff/ equipment as he rehabbing from broken leg. ( if he was totally healthy doubt he would have made an appearance this offseason at the Jets facility). 

Muhammad Wilkerson is going to be a free agent next offseason , so it behooves him to make sure he takes care of that leg.( a lot of money riding on it) 

Muhammad Wilkerson signs his tender , and reports to training camp on time would be positive sign. Jmo This is just a player taken care of an injury he still rehabbing from.( wouldn't read too much into this).

It comes down to Wilkerson playing on the teams best unit with the most depth. Along with having 2 other potential pro bowlers in Williams and Richardson. The Jets are hoping Wilkerson plays lights out this year so they can get more for him because there is no way he's getting even close to JJ Watt money which is what he might be looking for. probably the reason the Jets got no takers in a possible trade for some draft picks or to move up for one of the QB's

6 minutes ago, Smashmouth said:

It comes down to Wilkerson playing on the teams best unit with the most depth. Along with having 2 other potential pro bowlers in Williams and Richardson. The Jets are hoping Wilkerson plays lights out this year so they can get more for him because there is no way he's getting even close to JJ Watt money which is what he might be looking for. probably the reason the Jets got no takers in a possible trade for some draft picks or to move up for one of the QB's

You seem to see the bigger pic more than some others. I dig that. Also dig your AV because Al was the shet. OT you into GOT? He joined the cast this season. 

7 minutes ago, Hitman Harris said:

You seem to see the bigger pic more than some others. I dig that. Also dig your AV because Al was the shet. OT you into GOT? He joined the cast this season. 

currently not watching GOT but I will be just got done watching Vikings which was fantastic. Also Deadwood is going to be a movie

7 minutes ago, Villain The Foe said:

Wilk will be in attendance at minicamp. 

No worries. 

What makes you think that? The guy isn't under contract and is rehabbing his leg. I don't think he shows up to mini camp at all except maybe to do some medical stuff. He won't participate, that's for sure. 

8 minutes ago, CrazyCarl40 said:

What makes you think that? The guy isn't under contract and is rehabbing his leg. I don't think he shows up to mini camp at all except maybe to do some medical stuff. He won't participate, that's for sure. 

My opinion makes me think that. If he's not there then I guess people can go worry about it. 

2 minutes ago, Villain The Foe said:

My opinion makes me think that. If he's not there then I guess people can go worry about it. 

http://jetswire.usatoday.com/2016/06/03/jets-muhammad-wilkerson-will-skip-jets-minicamp/

Muhammad Wilkerson will skip mandatory minicamp

Ryan Fitzpatrick isn’t the only Jets starter who likely won’t be at the team’s mandatory veteran minicamp in two weeks.

Actually, Fitzpatrick’s chances are a bit higher than the “0” for the veteran, franchise-tagged Muhammad Wilkerson. According to multiple reports, the Pro Bowl defensive end has no plans to attend the workouts June 14-16th.

The news of Wilkerson’s forthcoming absence was first reported by the New York Post. 

The No. 30 pick in the 2011 NFL draft, Wilkerson has established himself as one of the game’s best 3-4 defensive ends during his five-year NFL career. A rare combination of size (6-4, 315 pounds) and athleticism, Wilkerson is equally effective at both stuffing the run, and getting after the quarterback.

In 2015, his contract year, Wilkerson had arguably his best season as a pro. The 26 year old recorded 64 tackles, 12 sacks, two forced fumbles and batted down seven passes. Not wanting to let Wilkerson get away for free, New York slapped the franchise tag on him back in February.

For the past several years (according to owner Woody Johnson), the Jets have been attempting to re-sign Wilkerson, but to no avail. Earlier this offseason, Jets Wire was told by multiple agents not tied to Wilkerson that he should expect a contract worth roughly $15 million a year on the open market, with north of $60 million guaranteed.

The Jets, apparently, are unwilling to part with that kind of money. Thus, the team has reportedly been shopping him, seeing if another is interested in trading for his services.

The Jets, apparently, are unwilling to part with that kind of money. Thus, the team has reportedly been shopping him, seeing if another is interested in trading for his services.

The issue? Couple the fact any interested team would have to not only part with draft pick/player compensation to the Jets, but also a mega-money deal to Wilkerson, and it’s made it difficult to get a move done. 

Because Wilkerson, who has skipped New York’s voluntary OTAs the last two years, has yet to sign his franchise tender, he is not technically under contract with the Jets. What this means is that while the upcoming minicamp is “mandatory” for all those on the roster, Wilkerson is an exception.

Any player under contract can be fined by the team if they do not attend. Wilkerson isn’t under contract, thus, he cannot be fined for not attending.

At least to this point, there has been no word on if Wilkerson plans on holding out of training camp, too. If the Jets wish to get a long-term deal done with Wilkerson, they must do so before July 15.

According to this and several other articles, he has no plans to be there. Do you know something everyone else doesn't?

3 minutes ago, PatsFanTX said:

What makes you say that?

There is no way in hell Wilk steps on the field without a contract.

Would he even be allowed to? If he's not under contract, is he technically part of our 90-man roster due to being franchised, or would we still need to make space for him if and when he signs his tender?

17 minutes ago, CrazyCarl40 said:

http://jetswire.usatoday.com/2016/06/03/jets-muhammad-wilkerson-will-skip-jets-minicamp/

Muhammad Wilkerson will skip mandatory minicamp

Ryan Fitzpatrick isn’t the only Jets starter who likely won’t be at the team’s mandatory veteran minicamp in two weeks.

Actually, Fitzpatrick’s chances are a bit higher than the “0” for the veteran, franchise-tagged Muhammad Wilkerson. According to multiple reports, the Pro Bowl defensive end has no plans to attend the workouts June 14-16th.

The news of Wilkerson’s forthcoming absence was first reported by the New York Post. 

The No. 30 pick in the 2011 NFL draft, Wilkerson has established himself as one of the game’s best 3-4 defensive ends during his five-year NFL career. A rare combination of size (6-4, 315 pounds) and athleticism, Wilkerson is equally effective at both stuffing the run, and getting after the quarterback.

In 2015, his contract year, Wilkerson had arguably his best season as a pro. The 26 year old recorded 64 tackles, 12 sacks, two forced fumbles and batted down seven passes. Not wanting to let Wilkerson get away for free, New York slapped the franchise tag on him back in February.

For the past several years (according to owner Woody Johnson), the Jets have been attempting to re-sign Wilkerson, but to no avail. Earlier this offseason, Jets Wire was told by multiple agents not tied to Wilkerson that he should expect a contract worth roughly $15 million a year on the open market, with north of $60 million guaranteed.

The issue? Couple the fact any interested team would have to not only part with draft pick/player compensation to the Jets, but also a mega-money deal to Wilkerson, and it’s made it difficult to get a move done. 

Because Wilkerson, who has skipped New York’s voluntary OTAs the last two years, has yet to sign his franchise tender, he is not technically under contract with the Jets. What this means is that while the upcoming minicamp is “mandatory” for all those on the roster, Wilkerson is an exception.

Any player under contract can be fined by the team if they do not attend. Wilkerson isn’t under contract, thus, he cannot be fined for not attending.

At least to this point, there has been no word on if Wilkerson plans on holding out of training camp, too. If the Jets wish to get a long-term deal done with Wilkerson, they must do so before July 15.

According to this and several other articles, he has no plans to be there. Do you know something everyone else doesn't?

Sure Carl. 

Would he even be allowed to? If he's not under contract, is he technically part of our 90-man roster due to being franchised, or would we still need to make space for him if and when he signs his tender?

Good question, I don't know the answer to that.

10 hours ago, Gas2No99 said:

No offense, but if the Jets truly want to negotiate a long term deal with him, that is a terrible plan. Now is the only time (going forward) when they have such leverage. After the season we'd have to offer him more than his current asking price. After we made him take on his own injury risk, though? Once the injury risk is gone, there's no reason to take an offer from the Jets without shopping himself around first. If the Jets are then still the highest bidder, then so be it. If I'm Mo, that's 100% the position I'm taking.

The last thing I'd be rushing to do - after the season's over and I'm an unbound FA - is bypass knowing for sure I signed the highest offer I could get, just to re-sign with a team that drafted my position 3x after they drafted me; a team who gladly had me take on my own injury risk for the past 3 consecutive seasons, while noticeably lesser players were cashing in for more than they offered me (plus the knowledge that those lesser players cashed in precisely because their original teams didn't value them as much as the Jets valued Mo, which is why they were let go into the FA pool in the first place). There's almost nothing the Jets could offer then, that they wouldn't offer now, that would prevent me from finally shopping my services league-wide once the season - and the season's injury risk with it - is gone. 

Teams would have done anything to get Reggie White, Mo your no Reggie White. It's stupid azz teams like Miami (Suh), that make Mo & his agents start as these ridiculous contracts.

The Pats have Brady, so they can keep trading guys like Chandler Jones before they become free agents. Until we find our franchise QB we'll be held hostage by above average players (Revis WAS a great player).

2 hours ago, Villain The Foe said:

Wilk will be in attendance at minicamp. 

No worries. 

No he won't. Not without signing the tender first, which is not happening until the last day of the deadline.  Much greater likelihood that he skips mini camp.  I have no idea what you are basing your prediction on.  There's nothing there to suggest it and he has already stated that he intends to skip camp.   

1 hour ago, Dcat said:

No he won't. Not without signing the tender first, which is not happening until the last day of the deadline.  Much greater likelihood that he skips mini camp.  I have no idea what you are basing your prediction on.  There's nothing there to suggest it and he has already stated that he intends to skip camp.   

Talked about this already.

6 hours ago, Smashmouth said:

We should be less concerned about Mo wanting Watt money and more concerned that Watt isn't making Malik Jackson money.

Archived