Jets website won't mention "F" word...

Mike135

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2016/07/12/article-on-jets-website-about-geno-smith-doesnt-utter-the-f-word/

Article on Jets website about Geno Smith doesn’t utter the “F” word

OAKLAND, CA - NOVEMBER 01:  Geno Smith #7 of the New York Jets looks to pass against the Oakland Raiders during their NFL game at O.co Coliseum on November 1, 2015 in Oakland, California.  (Photo by Thearon W. Henderson/Getty Images)Getty Images

The Jets may not have moved on from quarterback Ryan Fitzpatrick, but the team’s official website apparently has.

As noticed by Daniel Kaplan ofSportsBusiness Journal, an article on the team-owned publication about quarterbackGeno Smith never once mentions the 11-letter “F” word.

The article, which undoubtedly is aimed at unruffling the feathers of frazzled Jets fans by building up the potential performance of Smith, highlights his contention that the game has finally slowed down.

“In my mind, the game is so slow right now. I’m not playing super-fast,” Smith said. “I’m actually taking my time out there. I’m not rushing things. . . . The ball might come out faster, but it’s a result of me actually thinking faster and moving slower with my body if that makes sense. So the release is quick and the ball gets out fast, but to me it’s like everything’s moving in slow-mo.”

Smith also counts his experience last year (which resulted in no additional game experience due to the presence of you-know-who) as a positive.

“I think being able to watch the game from afar, watch how the mechanics of the offense work, game-planning throughout the week, the terminology, how to create different things within the offense — that helps out a ton,” Smith said. “Now you know what to do rather than trying to figure out what do, which is what I was doing myself.”

That’s fine. But how is there not a single mention of the possibility that Fitzpatrick will re-sign and potentially send Smith back to the bench? At a minimum, the possibility that Fitzpatrick may return but not win the starting job should at least have been addressed.

As a result, it’s hard not to wonder whether the article was written solely for the purpose of helping Jets fans get used to the idea that Smith will be the starter, or whether the goal was to apply pressure to Fitzpatrick by creating the impression that the team is ready and willing to move on without him.

Regardless of the motivation, it’s fair to wonder about it because the article was written by a Jets employee and appears on the website owned and operated by the Jets. No matter what anyone who works for team- and league-owned media may say, when the team or the league has bought the canvas and the paint, the final product is going to reflect this reality, directly or indirectly.

No matter what anyone who works for team- and league-owned media may say, when the team or the league has bought the canvas and the paint, the final product is going to reflect this reality, directly or indirectly.

What the **** does this even mean?

Florio is such an a$$hole. 

If the Jets fail to sign Fitzpatrick and go into the season with Geno as the starter, that's a failure of the management from the top down. Mac would take a huge hit in my opinion and if he whiffed on Hack, then his job will be on the line a lot sooner than most here might have thought.

11 minutes ago, CrazyCarl40 said:

If the Jets fail to sign Fitzpatrick and go into the season with Geno as the starter, that's a failure of the management from the top down. Mac would take a huge hit in my opinion and if he whiffed on Hack, then his job will be on the line a lot sooner than most here might have thought.

i don't know this to be true because I'm not in meetings with the team, but what is the possibility that woody has said "this much and not a penny more".  I have not read that anywhere, just a thought I had, but that could be the reason he is not signed.   just guessing

Just now, Integrity28 said:

Florio deals in smut and gossip. Gobble it up.

Absolutely.  I'm sure there are several players the article didn't mention since it wasn't about those players.

20 minutes ago, jetfan39 said:

i don't know this to be true because I'm not in meetings with the team, but what is the possibility that woody has said "this much and not a penny more".  I have not read that anywhere, just a thought I had, but that could be the reason he is not signed.   just guessing

I really don't think Woody needs to.  Mac set a number and offered it.  Fitz is taking a risk here, but more likely than not he calls the Jets when he feels like it and signs the deal.

13 minutes ago, SouthernJet said:

Me too!!! You have a beautiful and wonderful family. Lucky man for sure :)

Maybe we will have Fish-n-Chips in London in late spring/summer 2019 :)

(I'll also fill you in on real story with England's Rendlesham Forest incident. I'm old, what they gonna do to me ;) )

49 minutes ago, SouthernJet said:

Maybe we will have Fish-n-Chips in London in late spring/summer 2019 :)

(I'll also fill you in on real story with England's Rendlesham Forest incident. I'm old, what they gonna do to me ;) )

Always happy to play tour guide in London...amazing city.

Enough already. Fitz will 100% be back in the next few weeks. Get over it.  Move on.  Just act like he's on the squad already because he's 100% going to be the starter for the Jets next season.  They know it, he knows it, we all know it.  

Yay Jets!!!!!!!

49 minutes ago, JiF said:

Enough already. Fitz will 100% be back in the next few weeks. Get over it.  Move on.  Just act like he's on the squad already because he's 100% going to be the starter for the Jets next season.  They know it, he knows it, we all know it.  

Yay Jets!!!!!!!

Speaking of F words.  F*** you!

There is some truth to this as much as I hate Florio.  I noticed it as well.  This is the first official positive article on Geno Smith by the Jets organization since pre-IK punch.  Secondly, this is also the first QB article from the Jets organization that completely dismisses Fitzpatrick from the conversation.  I do think there is some subtle interpretation to make of this.  Its possible the Jets as an organization have hit their time limit and are moving on without Fitz and its full steam ahead with the QBs they have.  Could also be a new method of pressure on Fitz but I'm inclined to think its the former.

6 minutes ago, JETSfaninNE said:

There is some truth to this as much as I hate Florio.  I noticed it as well.  This is the first official positive article on Geno Smith by the Jets organization since pre-IK punch.  Secondly, this is also the first QB article from the Jets organization that completely dismisses Fitzpatrick from the conversation.  I do think there is some subtle interpretation to make of this.  Its possible the Jets as an organization have hit their time limit and are moving on without Fitz and its full steam ahead with the QBs they have.  Could also be a new method of pressure on Fitz but I'm inclined to think its the former.

Don't think they are dismissing Fitz from the conversation, but I do think , coming from the team site, this is a message

On 7/12/2016 at 3:44 PM, CrazyCarl40 said:

Mac has already lost his "honeymoon" status.  His failure to either lock up Mo or get trade value for Mo is #1 on the Mac sh!t list.  His poor management of the QB situation is atrocious and the only thing that will save him on this is if (a great big IF) Hack can be a true quality starter.  I'm not holding my breath.  He should have pulled the current offer off the table for Fitz two months ago.  

Don't get me wrong.  I like Mac and overall he has done more good than bad.  This year, however, the two bad things really stand out.  With the lame-duck Mo being #1 on the list.

8 minutes ago, Dcat said:

Mac has already lost his "honeymoon" status.  His failure to either lock up Mo or get trade value for Mo is #1 on the Mac sh!t list.  His poor management of the QB situation is atrocious and the only thing that will save him on this is if (a great big IF) Hack can be a true quality starter.  I'm not holding my breath.  He should have pulled the current offer off the table for Fitz two months ago.  

Don't get me wrong.  I like Mac and overall he has done more good than bad.  This year, however, the two bad things really stand out.  With the lame-duck Mo being #1 on the list.

So you would have paid Mo JJ Watt money or traded him for pennies on the dollar? I could imagine the outcry around here if Mo was traded for a 4th rounder. I don't blame Mac on this one. Mo wants to be paid like he's the best even though he's not. Mac can't get fair trade value for MO because of this as well. Not sure what you wanted him to do here.

I agree that Mac should have pulled the offer for Fitz. But he's probably just hoping Fitz will eventually come crawling back after getting no offers. I will be real upset if he does increase his offer to Fitz in any way.

Just now, billo83 said:

So you would have paid Mo JJ Watt money or traded him for pennies on the dollar? I could imagine the outcry around here if Mo was traded for a 4th rounder. I don't blame Mac on this one. Mo wants to be paid like he's the best even though he's not. Mac can't get fair trade value for MO because of this as well. Not sure what you wanted him to do here.

I agree that Mac should have pulled the offer for Fitz. But he's probably just hoping Fitz will eventually come crawling back after getting no offers. I will be real upset if he does increase his offer to Fitz in any way.

No.  I think he could have gotten a at least 2nd rounder for Mo in 2015.  Also, had he signed Mo in 2015, those bloated Free Agent DL contracts that Jacksonville, Giants and Eagles gave to Malik Jackson, Olivier Vernon andCox, respectively would not yet have occurred.  It was those contracts, not Watt's, that set the market for Mo.  Mac blew it by waiting.  BTW, There is not one shred of proof that in 2015 Mo was asking for "Watt" money.  That false premise conjured by some stupid beat reporter (your choice: Dickless Cimini or Manish, the "fabricator" Mehta). I think he would have taken way less than Watt, but now that Malik Jackson, Cox, Vernon et al have set the market, Mo is done here in NY.  Mac blew it.

On July 12, 2016 at 3:44 PM, CrazyCarl40 said:

When guys you like aren't signed it's not failure by management top to bottom.  It's you. 

That wasn't enough, Hackenberg had to be brought in? Why?  Who knows, he's also not part of the thread.  

The Jets offered a more than fair number to Fitz.  If he turns them down its on him. Unless your idea of success by management, top to bottom is to keep offering more money until Fitz says yes.  

54 minutes ago, Dcat said:

No.  I think he could have gotten a at least 2nd rounder for Mo in 2015.  Also, had he signed Mo in 2015, those bloated Free Agent DL contracts that Jacksonville, Giants and Eagles gave to Malik Jackson, Olivier Vernon andCox, respectively would not yet have occurred.  It was those contracts, not Watt's, that set the market for Mo.  Mac blew it by waiting.  BTW, There is not one shred of proof that in 2015 Mo was asking for "Watt" money.  That false premise conjured by some stupid beat reporter (your choice: Dickless Cimini or Manish, the "fabricator" Mehta). I think he would have taken way less than Watt, but now that Malik Jackson, Cox, Vernon et al have set the market, Mo is done here in NY.  Mac blew it.

Everything I've read and heard has said that Mo is looking to be paid as the best DL. I look at it this way - if he was being reasonable in his demands he would have already been signed to a long term deal.

I don't think a 2nd rounder last year would have been fair compensation for a player of Mo's caliber. Regardless, Mac was in the same situation in 2015. Teams looking to give fair trade value would have looked into the parameters of a long term deal, and would have been scared off by his demands. Mac was also not willing to extend him last year for his asking price and was hoping to eventually sign him to a fair deal. I can't blame him for that.

6 minutes ago, billo83 said:

Everything I've read and heard has said that Mo is looking to be paid as the best DL. I look at it this way - if he was being reasonable in his demands he would have already been signed to a long term deal.

I don't think a 2nd rounder last year would have been fair compensation for a player of Mo's caliber. Regardless, Mac was in the same situation in 2015. Teams looking to give fair trade value would have looked into the parameters of a long term deal, and would have been scared off by his demands. Mac was also not willing to extend him last year for his asking price and was hoping to eventually sign him to a fair deal. I can't blame him for that.

"everything" you heard?  That was all based on rumor and  speculation due to Jets' beat reporters' passion to stir up controversy and attract attention to themselves.  Nobody knows what really transpired and there is not one shred of proof that Mo was asking to be paid at the same amount as Watt.  Gotta love how people just assume that was the case because a little twerp like Mehta says so.  

But one thing for sure, Mac could have gotten Mo at a much more appealing price in 2015 than in 2016 due to the bloated contracts doled out by the Giants to Vernon, Eagles to Cox and Jaguars to M. Jackson.  He also could have gotten a much better draft pick in 2015 than what was possible (if anything) in 2016.  It's too late now.  I hope Mac learned something from this, because he did not do a good job at all with Mo. 

On 7/12/2016 at 2:52 PM, Mike135 said:

The article, which undoubtedly is aimed at unruffling the feathers of frazzled Jets fans by building up the potential performance of Smith, highlights his contention that the game has finally slowed down.

Undoubtedly.  

Team-driven PR puff piece to attempt to preempt any anger that may exist for them having abjectly failed to provide a legitimate #1 QB, or even a "give us hope" competition for starting QB, in 2016.

This is standard PR Dept. damage control.

53 minutes ago, Dcat said:

"everything" you heard?  That was all based on rumor and  speculation due to Jets' beat reporters' passion to stir up controversy and attract attention to themselves.  Nobody knows what really transpired and there is not one shred of proof that Mo was asking to be paid at the same amount as Watt.  Gotta love how people just assume that was the case because a little twerp like Mehta says so.  

But one thing for sure, Mac could have gotten Mo at a much more appealing price in 2015 than in 2016 due to the bloated contracts doled out by the Giants to Vernon, Eagles to Cox and Jaguars to M. Jackson.  He also could have gotten a much better draft pick in 2015 than what was possible (if anything) in 2016.  It's too late now.  I hope Mac learned something from this, because he did not do a good job at all with Mo. 

I'm not making an assumption based on anything Mehta or Cimini says (a Jet hater who would obviously shed Mac in bad light if Mo was being reasonable). In bitter negotiations such as this, you usually read/hear contradicting information from both sides. I may have missed something, but I don't recall any denials about wanting to be paid as the best DL. At any rate, let me ask you this - don't you think that if Mo was reasonable in his demands an extension would have aleady been signed?

How do you know Mo would have signed for a better price or they would have gotten a better draft pick last year? He may have wanted to be paid as the top DL last year (IMO he probably was) and this would have scared off other teams as well as the Jets. I highly doubt Mac would have turned down a good offer for a trade or not gotten a long term deal done if Mo was being reasonable in his demands.

1 hour ago, billo83 said:

I'm not making an assumption based on anything Mehta or Cimini says (a Jet hater who would obviously shed Mac in bad light if Mo was being reasonable). In bitter negotiations such as this, you usually read/hear contradicting information from both sides. I may have missed something, but I don't recall any denials about wanting to be paid as the best DL. At any rate, let me ask you this - don't you think that if Mo was reasonable in his demands an extension would have aleady been signed?

How do you know Mo would have signed for a better price or they would have gotten a better draft pick last year? He may have wanted to be paid as the top DL last year (IMO he probably was) and this would have scared off other teams as well as the Jets. I highly doubt Mac would have turned down a good offer for a trade or not gotten a long term deal done if Mo was being reasonable in his demands.

The minute they drafted Williams last year, I knew Mo was a goner.  The only way they were going to keep him is if he signed at a below market deal.  Of course, why would Mo do that?  Because of what you 'heard' or 'didn't hear', you surmise that Mo's price was unreasonable.  It is every bit as likely that the Jets offer was low-ball unreasonable due to the spate of DLs they had.  The whole point is that we don't know, nor will we ever know.  But to assume this is all on Mo is every bit as wrong as to assume that all the blame belongs to Mac.  My thinking is that the Jets low balled Mo and with the surplus of DL they had, they had no intention of giving him a huge deal.  Personally, I like Mo better than Sheldon and wish Mac would have gotten the job done.   The chances of getting a decent draft pick were much higher in 2015 than 2016, so with respect to that issue, I blame Mac.  Entirely.

Archived