Notice the serene feeling over Florham Park.....

carlito1171

Just now, nyjunc said:

fitz was not asked to do anything special, he was asked to lead a very talented team to a win over a mediocre team that quit.

we failed in both title games but we were a game away from the SUPER BOWL, a tad different than not being able to even get to the playoffs, right?

Fitz played from behind b/c he was atrocious and put us in a hole.  we got the first possession and punted, the D held.  next possession we punted then the D heled.  next possession we punted then Buffalo scored.

The punter actually put the Jets in the hole. Game was 0-0 prior to the 10 yard punt and then the Taylor scramble TD. Keep things in context like you always say.

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 minutes ago, Pac said:

I couldn't possibly care less about more subdued press conferences or supposed professionalism on the sidelines (Revis and Marshall may disagree).

What Rex and Sanchez did in their first year was a hell of a lot more fun than anything I saw last year.  Lets hope Bowels in year 2 can match Rex' early success.  

So having fun is the goal? 

5 minutes ago, nyjunc said:

The season was defined by the final game, the fact that we looked totally unprepared, lifeless and allowed the wind to spook us made that game and the season a failure.  That doesn't mean we won't succeed in the future but last year was a failure.  vet team, easy sched, playoffs in hand and we failed.  

Disagree. You can't look at one game and let it define the larger body of work. Vet team means nothing. It's about talent. The Jets had talent but they weren't world beaters. Bowles and his CS did a good job of scheming and coaching all year. The way they handled the inefficiencies of the O-Line was awesome. Why weren't the Jets prepared for that game? Because they lost? Did Bowles not hold meetings all week to prepare them? Did they go to Dave & Busters the night before or something?

The wind was going to effect Fitz. He's a weak armed QB, we know what he is, nothing we can do about that. It's the same way it use to effect Chad at times That was going to be a tough game to win especially when they fell behind 13-0 early and had to play from behind. The worst play by Fitz was the obvious forced pass to Decker that was picked, but I do believe he wasn't comfortable in the pocket and reverted to a rookie mistake by trying to force a ball to your number one read. He had Ivory open in the flat but he seemed dead set on trying to force it to Decker right from the start. The other 2 picks happened late when he had to push the ball down the field, and on one I believe Brick got beat like he did a lot last year and the ball was popped up into the air. Overall, yeah he played badly, no question. Point being, with that QB, and that weather, that game was not going to be easy. If I blame Bowles for anything, it would be not running the football more. But, they fell behind by 13 early.

1 minute ago, nyjunc said:

this quote thing keeps messing up, it's so frustrating

when you have a quote in the message box, lover over the top-left corner and you'll get a 4-arrow thingy. click on that, then hit delete and it should remove the quote from your message cache

it is a pain, i agree

8 minutes ago, Integrity28 said:

Stuff like the bold doesn't matter, if it does, then the Colts benching their starters and giving 2009 Jets a free win should weight heavily as well.

I agree with failed in 2008, 2015... but I would not categorically call 2009 a success. I think that ignores conditions that you use in separate arguments to define failure in the other 2 seasons. Ultimate, it looks like your criteria is "in the playoffs" or "not in the playoffs", which is fair. I just don't think all of the parameters you use in defending that criteria pan out.

Anyway, I was just wondering. Doesn't really matter all that much. Totally agree that a healthy Favre makes us a SB contender in either of those years too... almost had lightning in a bottle there. Almost. 

SMH.

they gave the Jets nothing, the Jets finished 2009 winning 5 of their last 6 and earned their way in.  The Colts pulled starters in a close game, at the end of 2008 how many dead teams did we lose to?  SF, Sea, and almost lost to Buffalo if our D doesn't score a TD late.  In 1993 we faced Oiler backups needing win to make the playoffs- we lost 24-0.  

we made the AFC Championship game in 2009, that is a smashing success.

a healthy Favre that cared and wanted to be here, we never had that.  2009 favre was a guy that cared and wanted to be in Minnesota but rememebr we lost that title game in 2009 b/c of our D not our O.

either way they are all failures if it's SB or bust, hopefully some day we break through that barrier.

8 minutes ago, Matt39 said:

The punter actually put the Jets in the hole. Game was 0-0 prior to the 10 yard punt and then the Taylor scramble TD. Keep things in context like you always say.

he did, on the 3rd failed possession by the offense.  Our O had 3 possessions before Buffalo scored and our O put the P in his EZ to punt.

2 minutes ago, Integrity28 said:

when you have a quote in the message box, lover over the top-left corner and you'll get a 4-arrow thingy. click on that, then hit delete and it should remove the quote from your message cache

it is a pain, i agree

ah, thank you.  this will definitely help:D

16 minutes ago, nyjunc said:

fitz was not asked to do anything special, he was asked to lead a very talented team to a win over a mediocre team that quit.

Why is it assumed that the Bills quit? They're a division rival who the Jets play twice a year every year. Most coaches would tell you that those aren't easy games. Especially in those conditions on the road.

6 minutes ago, ScarletKnight89 said:

Disagree. You can't look at one game and let it define the larger body of work. Vet team means nothing. It's about talent. The Jets had talent but they weren't world beaters. Bowles and his CS did a good job of scheming and coaching all year. The way they handled the inefficiencies of the O-Line was awesome. Why weren't the Jets prepared for that game? Because they lost? Did Bowles not hold meetings all week to prepare them? Did they go to Dave & Busters the night before or something?

The wind was going to effect Fitz. He's a weak armed QB, we know what he is, nothing we can do about that. It's the same way it use to effect Chad at times That was going to be a tough game to win especially when they fell behind 13-0 early and had to play from behind. The worst play by Fitz was the obvious forced pass to Decker that was picked, but I do believe he wasn't comfortable in the pocket and reverted to a rookie mistake by trying to force a ball to your number one read. He had Ivory open in the flat but he seemed dead set on trying to force it to Decker right from the start. The other 2 picks happened late when he had to push the ball down the field, and on one I believe Brick got beat like he did a lot last year and the ball was popped up into the air. Overall, yeah he played badly, no question. Point being, with that QB, and that weather, that game was not going to be easy. If I blame Bowles for anything, it would be not running the football more. But, they fell behind by 13 early.

the Jets had playoff talent w/o a doubt, we should have made it.  Bowles did a good job most of the year but a terrible job in week 17.  again, I really like him and hope it was just a learning experience.  

The wind didn't affect Fitz in the 2nd half, he allowed it to affect him in the 1st half.  

we had a golden opportunity last year w/ that sched then w/ Pitt losing to Baltimore and we blew it.  if we make it this year we'll forget about last year but if we miss again last year will become more difficult.  

they fell behind by 13 b/c the O couldn't do a thing.  we had 3 possessions before Buffalo scored then after falling behind 13-0 Ivory had thad huge run that set up 1st down at the Buf 22 and we didn't gain another yard on 3 straight incompletions.  we cannot deflect blame away from the QB.

Just now, ScarletKnight89 said:

Why is it assumed that the Bills quit? They're a division rival who the Jets play twice a year every year. Most coaches would tell you that those aren't easy games. Especially in those conditions on the road.

teams like that just need a few plays to go against them and they are ready for the offseason.  we gave them life, they had key guys not playing, Mario Williams had quit among others and we gave them life.

anyway, my point is not to bash Bowles or go back to last year.  I really like Bowles but there are different styles you can win w/, we won big early w/ rex then faded his final few years.  Let's hope we win big w/ Bowles soon.

7 minutes ago, nyjunc said:

having a chance at multiple Super Bowls was fun, a heck of a lot more fun than losing to a mediocre team w/ the playoffs on the line.

I agree with that. Watching the San Diego and Cincinnati playoff games with my sons couple great memories.

the Jets had playoff talent w/o a doubt, we should have made it.  Bowles did a good job most of the year but a terrible job in week 17.  again, I really like him and hope it was just a learning experience.  

The wind didn't affect Fitz in the 2nd half, he allowed it to affect him in the 1st half.  

we had a golden opportunity last year w/ that sched then w/ Pitt losing to Baltimore and we blew it.  if we make it this year we'll forget about last year but if we miss again last year will become more difficult.  

they fell behind by 13 b/c the O couldn't do a thing.  we had 3 possessions before Buffalo scored then after falling behind 13-0 Ivory had thad huge run that set up 1st down at the Buf 22 and we didn't gain another yard on 3 straight incompletions.  we cannot deflect blame away from the QB.

There was a terrible punt that gift wrapped a TD for the Bills. The D still is expected to make plays as well. Fitz didn't play well. But in that weather, you knew it was going to be tough for a guy with his physical limitations. That's one of the main reasons he is who he is. His arm. They had good talent and won 10 games, most years that gets you in. It's not like they struggled to finish .500 with an outside shot at the playoffs if things broke right for them. They had double digit wins. Last year was unfortunately one of those years where it was going to take 11 to get in.

What did Bowles do in week 17 that made his week terrible? I blame him for not running the ball more, but it's a passing league now and the Jets were playing from behind. So I can see his thinking. I can't remember now if they changed up coverage on Watkins in the second half but I remember being mad after that game feeling like he should have done something different regarding him. That's about it.

13 minutes ago, The Crusher said:

I agree with that. Watching the San Diego and Cincinnati playoff games with my sons couple great memories.

losing in the title games sucked(especially Pitt b/c I think we were better and I drove all the way there for the game) but those memories of 4 playoff wins including at NE(I was there too) were incredible.  Much better than what we have experience since 2011.  Let's hope we have more playoff games to watch soon.

8 minutes ago, ScarletKnight89 said:

There was a terrible punt that gift wrapped a TD for the Bills. The D still is expected to make plays as well. Fitz didn't play well. But in that weather, you knew it was going to be tough for a guy with his physical limitations. That's one of the main reasons he is who he is. His arm. They had good talent and won 10 games, most years that gets you in. It's not like they struggled to finish .500 with an outside shot at the playoffs if things broke right for them. They had double digit wins. Last year was unfortunately one of those years where it was going to take 11 to get in.

What did Bowles do in week 17 that made his week terrible? I blame him for not running the ball more, but it's a passing league now and the Jets were playing from behind. So I can see his thinking. I can't remember now if they changed up coverage on Watkins in the second half but I remember being mad after that game feeling like he should have done something different regarding him. That's about it.

I understand that but we had THREE possessions before Buffalo scored and we punted on all 3 and on the punt that set up the first Buf TD we punted from our EZ.

Our D STUNK against Buffalo, it was a team effort led by Bowles.  they weren't ready to play.

the sched was very weak, we should have won more than 10 and been in the playoffs.

they didn't appear to make many adjustments on D, the team looked lifeless from the start, the wind only affected us and not Buffalo- that's all on coaching.

5 minutes ago, The Crusher said:

Enjoyed them all.  It was the time in my life and my kids life and the happenings around that make them special. 

my kids were too little to enjoy those wins, now it would be a lot more fun watching when at least my son is old enough to appreciate it.  some day we will win a Super Bowl and it's going to be really special for all of us b/c of all we have been through.

my kids were too little to enjoy those wins, now it would be a lot more fun watching when at least my son is old enough to appreciate it.  some day we will win a Super Bowl and it's going to be really special for all of us b/c of all we have been through.

Cincinnati game was pure crazy sauce.  My sons were with their mom and she refuse to give them to me the night before because it was "her weekend."  So I had to roll and hour to her house to get them and she knew what time the game was and it would make it hard.  So I was able to reserve a nice table at a sports bar out by her but had like 20 minutes to get the boys and get back to the sports bar. She lived in one of those manor home subdivsions with huge houses and everything is compact.  I get into her driveway, get the boys, had them put their jerseys on and jump into my truck.  I was so amped up I backed out of her driveway and "Boom!!" drilled this little car parked in the street and knocked it up on the curb with my full size truck.  This little fella runs out of one of the homes and starts yelling at me in a language I was not famaliar with.  My sons were like:dad we gonna miss the game?"  I was like no, I reached in my wallet, gave the dude my license, my insurance card and pointed to my ex wifes front door.  We just ran off to the game. She called my cell phone like 20 times during the game.  Too funny. To this day my sons still laugh at that day. Kinda scary cause they both driving now.  LOL

1 minute ago, The Crusher said:

Cincinnati game was pure crazy sauce.  My sons were with their mom and she refuse to give them to me the night before because it was "her weekend."  So I had to roll and hour to her house to get them and she knew what time the game was and it would make it hard.  So I was able to reserve a nice table at a sports bar out by her but had like 20 minutes to get the boys and get back to the sports bar. She lived in one of those manor home subdivsions with huge houses and everything is compact.  I get into her driveway, get the boys, had them put their jerseys on and jump into my truck.  I was so amped up I backed out of her driveway and "Boom!!" drilled this little car parked in the street and knocked it up on the curb with my full size truck.  This little fella runs out of one of the homes and starts yelling at me in a language I was not famaliar with.  My sons were like:dad we gonna miss the game?"  I was like no, I reached in my wallet, gave the dude my license, my insurance card and pointed to my ex wifes front door.  We just ran off to the game. She called my cell phone like 20 times during the game.  Too funny. To this day my sons still laugh at that day. Kinda scary cause they both driving now.  LOL

haha, that was a memorable day for you all around.

3 hours ago, KRL said:

The "professional vibe" was very evident as I stood on the sidelines.  The players were
attentive, not goofing around, aware when their number was called and respectful to the
coaches.  The culture has definitely changed, hopefully that translates to a playoff
berth  

Coming from you this is huge because I know for a fact that you have been at many Jets training camps and where there from a fans perspective, so it is telling.

While Bowles may not yet be the answer, we are definitely headed in the proper direction.

2 hours ago, Integrity28 said:

Same amount of regular season wins as Rex had his first season. Just unlucky that in 2009 it was enough to sneak in, and 2008 it wasn't. If Mangini had snagged a wildcard spot, do you think he gets fired? Do you think Favre leaves after 1 year? Healthy Favre in 2009, do you think we could have done even better with the same team returning, rather than Rex and Sanchez?

What was harder to do get 9-7 with a HOF QB or a rookie QB that everyone said came out to early?? Mangini did get a wildcard in 06 and lost 37-16 to his old team..

2 hours ago, nyjunc said:

You mean the incompletions 2 of which were flat out drops by Enunwa?

2 hours ago, The Crusher said:

Hey bossman...you hitta mi car, I breaka u face.  Bossman, where you go? Get back here.  Very much I kikka u as$ fukk face. 

One thing that bugged me about the Buffalo game that is on Bowles...and if I'm wrong please correct me...

The Bills won the toss and Rex wanted to start on D (surprise)...and then Bowles decided to start our O going into the wind...with Fitz.  Of course they go 3 and out, and for the rest of the half we played with terrible field position.

Never understood that decision...to me, it set the tone for the game.

34 minutes ago, greenwave81 said:

One thing that bugged me about the Buffalo game that is on Bowles...and if I'm wrong please correct me...

The Bills won the toss and Rex wanted to start on D (surprise)...and then Bowles decided to start our O going into the wind...with Fitz.  Of course they go 3 and out, and for the rest of the half we played with terrible field position.

Never understood that decision...to me, it set the tone for the game.

No, the Interception in the end zone that prevented us from taking the lead changed the entire feel of that game . Had we score, the Bills would have went into full panic mode and quit on their running game. 

4 hours ago, ScarletKnight89 said:

I don't know how he constantly argues that Rex's teams don't quit, weren't gifted anything in 2009, etc, etc.... but then, in order to criticize last season, we're to believe he thinks a Rex team quit.

Not worth arguing over, but it doesn't make sense to me how contradictory the logic is there.

16 hours ago, Patriot Killa said:

This is thanks to the coaching staff. The young players flashing all that potential is our boy Maccagan's doing. I love it, it goes to show when you have a guy who can get talent and the you have a coach who can enhance it and tap potential..you have a solid squad for years. I like what we have here and i see this team being better than what is expected. I see a 11/12 win team even considering the beginning of the schedule. This team has two future Hall Of Famers on both sides of the ball.

I have to agree with you.  I just mentioned to a buddy of mine the other day, Maccagan is on pace to win GM of the year again...He brought back Mo Wilkerson, Fitzpatrick, the move last year of resigning David Harris knowing that he would be the leader of a young LB core is huge as well as bringing back Revis with again a young core of players who as Coach Mike Westoff mentioned the top Defensive player he has ever seen practice (Marino was the offensive guy).  The philosophy of drafting a qb every year is what Ron Wolf did until he found the right one.

As we read through the news and notes coming out of training camp of these young guy's "flashing talent" it is exciting to see and it should be a hard decision when it comes time to cut down.  As we know, it is always next man up and while we never want to see injury happen, having the those players that flashed talent at least makes you feel better about them going into game action if called upon.  (Bowles was part of that Arizona team that lost a ton of players the year they went into the playoffs and their depth did not skip a beat). 

14 hours ago, UpstateJetsGuru said:

You mean the incompletions 2 of which were flat out drops by Enunwa?

ohhh it was the WRs who dropped balls, got it.  My mistake, Fitz was great:lol:

12 hours ago, Integrity28 said:

I don't know how he constantly argues that Rex's teams don't quit, weren't gifted anything in 2009, etc, etc.... but then, in order to criticize last season, we're to believe he thinks a Rex team quit.

Not worth arguing over, but it doesn't make sense to me how contradictory the logic is there.

when do I constantly argue Rex teams don't quit?  when have I ever said we didn't get a break in 2009? it wasn't anything like the breaks in 2008 but of course we got a break and took advantage of it like good teams do.

mario Williams was a "leader" on that D and he flat out quit.  they had a ton of injuries w/ key guys not playing and all we needed to do was come out fast and we came out flat.  that's on coaching.

there aren't any contradictions that you haven't made up.

Just now, nyjunc said:

ohhh it was the WRs who dropped balls, got it.  My mistake, Fitz was great:lol:

when do I constantly argue Rex teams don't quit?  when have I ever said we didn't get a break in 2009? it wasn't anything like the breaks in 2008 but of course we got a break and took advantage of it like good teams do.

mario Williams was a "leader" on that D and he flat out quit.  they had a ton of injuries w/ key guys not playing and all we needed to do was come out fast and we came out flat.  that's on coaching.

there aren't any contradictions that you haven't made up.

I'm being completely honest here, because I don't read your content as often as you think I do, but I thought that "Rex teams don't quit, he's a great coach, etc" was one of the themes in the rants you go on. If I'm mistaken, I take it back. I'm probably on to something, but it's not worth slap-fighting over. If I went to the effort of finding an example,  you'd deflect and start in about reading comprehension. I just don't have energy for that. 

So, it's all good, nevermind that part.

You literally just said nobody gave us anything in 2009 (see: getting a break) in this thread though... So there's that. Again, doesn't matter that much. Not enough for a tirade at least.

Archived