Still No HOF for Klecko

peekskill68

Kenny Easley selected as HOF finalist by Seniors Committee

Defensive back Kenny Easley of the Seattle Seahawks moves down the field during a game.Getty Images

We know one of the names that will be up for consideration for election to the Pro Football Hall of Fame in 2017.

The Seniors Committee met in Canton on Monday to determine their finalist for this year’s process and the Hall announced on Monday that the choice is former Seahawks safety Kenny Easley. Easley’s candidacy will be evaluated by the 46 members of the Selection Committee on the day before the Super Bowl and, like all finalists, he needs 80 percent of the vote to be elected.

Easley was a first-round pick by Seattle in 1981 and went on to play seven seasons with the Seahawks. Easley had 32 interceptions, 11 fumble recoveries and eight sacks in his 89 games with the team and was named to the Associated Press All-Pro team three times. The Pro Football Hall of Fame also named him as one of the safeties on the All-1980’s team along with Ronnie Lott. Easley and former Bears tackle Jimbo Covert are the only first-team offensive and defensive selections to that team who are not in the Hall.

He was traded to the Cardinals in 1988, but learned during a physical that he suffered from a severe kidney disease that ended his career and led to a successful transplant a couple of years later. He filed a lawsuit, later settled out of court, against the team alleging that overprescribing ibuprofen led to the problem.

The Hall will announce two more nominees on Tuesday after the Contributors Committee meets to determine its selections

------------------

If anyone has a clue as to why this keeps happening to Klecko, I'm all ears.  I'm sorry I saw them both play and I think Klecko was better...

2 minutes ago, flgreen said:

That sucks.  Joe should be in the Hall way before Easley.

Think that insurance fraud jail time did him dirt.  Kind of weird in view of the fact ray ray will be put in the Hall

Good point. I forgot about that...  

what we have to do is become a top tea, when that happens they tend to re-evaluate older players like when Andre tippet made it for New England and now easley.  Both very good players(along w/ Klecko) on that HOF borderline but when the current team becomes a top team then those players start getting talked about more and have a better chance.  it's the only way he will make it.

2 minutes ago, nyjunc said:

what we have to do is become a top tea, when that happens they tend to re-evaluate older players like when Andre tippet made it for New England and now easley.  Both very good players(along w/ Klecko) on that HOF borderline but when the current team becomes a top team then those players start getting talked about more and have a better chance.  it's the only way he will make it.

You could be right since it does not seem to be based purely on playing ability.  Also since he needs to be nominated by a 9-member Senior Committee it makes me wonder if one guy with a hard-on for him would be powerful enough to block his nomination...

My opinion, the issue is Mark Gastineau who stole Klecko's limelight and to this day is considered the more interesting character of the time period.

I don't believe for one second that Gastineau is the better player; I just submit that Joe's flashy teammate minimizes his value in the eyes of Hall voters.

SAR I

11 minutes ago, SAR I said:

My opinion, the issue is Mark Gastineau who stole Klecko's limelight and to this day is considered the more interesting character of the time period.

I don't believe for one second that Gastineau is the better player; I just submit that Joe's flashy teammate minimizes his value in the eyes of Hall voters.

SAR I

If Mark didn't "retire" in 1988 I think he would have made the Hall b/c he put up the more flashy #s and was the higher profile player.  

The Hall has been a joke for a long time, it should be for the absolute best of the best but instead it's a popularity contest for players on winning teams who ay have been great for a very short stretch of their career.  they let way too many people into the hall that do not deserve it.

41 minutes ago, nyjunc said:

nyjunc, while I agree that, in time, Joe Klecko will be most triumphant, the truth is, The Jets will never be a super-team until we get Joe Klecko into the HOF.

Yes, Fish, but.... I do not believe we will get Joe Klecko into the HOF before we have a triumphant video of Joe Klecko.

nyjunc, it's pointless to have a triumphant video of Joe Klecko before we have become a super-team.

Well, how can we become a super-team if we don't really even know how to play?

That is why we need Joe Klecko!

And that is why we need a triumphant video of Joe Klecko!

EXCELLENT! (widlly, widdly whiddle!)

6 minutes ago, Warfish said:

nyjunc, while I agree that, in time, Joe Klecko will be most triumphant, the truth is, The Jets will never be a super-team until we get Joe Klecko into the HOF.

Yes, Fish, but.... I do not believe we will get Joe Klecko into the HOF before we have a triumphant video of Joe Klecko.

nyjunc, it's pointless to have a triumphant video of Joe Klecko before we have become a super-team.

Well, how can we become a super-team if we don't really even know how to play?

That is why we need Joe Klecko!

And that is why we need a triumphant video of Joe Klecko!

EXCELLENT! (widlly, widdly whiddle!)

200.gif

5 minutes ago, RutgersJetFan said:

Kenny Easley over Joe Klecko? Dafuq?

Easley won a defensive player of the year award and was a 3 time 1st team all pro.

Joe never won a DPOY award and was a 2 time 1st team all pro

both are in that same borderline category

6 minutes ago, RutgersJetFan said:

Thank you for looking that up on Wikipedia.

what is your point?  if you followed football in the time of Klecko you would remember Easley was a great player.  you were trying to make it sound like some mediocre player made it before Joe.  the facts are he has more credentials than Joe, in a perfect world where only the best of the best make it neither should make it but both are borderloine type candidates.

12 minutes ago, nyjunc said:

Easley won a defensive player of the year award and was a 3 time 1st team all pro.

Kenny Easley was among the signature AFC defensive players during his era.  Joe Klecko was not even the signature defensive player on his own team. 

Joe Klecko looks good on paper a-la Curtis Martin.  Longevity and diversity of playing positions can only get you so far.  Living in Gastineau's shadow in the 1980s remains the same in the 2010s.  To the average guy going to visit Canton, he knows who Mark Gastineau was, the sack dance, the celebrity marriage.  That same guy doesn't know who Joe Klecko was.  It's sad, but it's true.

SAR I

3 minutes ago, SAR I said:

Kenny Easley was among the signature AFC defensive players during his era.  Joe Klecko was not even the signature defensive player on his own team. 

Joe Klecko looks good on paper a-la Curtis Martin.  Longevity and diversity of playing positions can only get you so far.  Living in Gastineau's shadow in the 1980s remains the same in the 2010s.

SAR I

Moron.gif

6 minutes ago, SAR I said:

Joe Klecko looks good on paper a-la Curtis Martin.  Longevity and diversity of playing positions can only get you so far.  Living in Gastineau's shadow in the 1980s remains the same in the 2010s.  To the average guy going to visit Canton, he knows who Mark Gastineau was, the sack dance, the celebrity marriage.  That same guy doesn't know who Joe Klecko was.  It's sad, but it's true.

SAR I

Joe Klecko was a hell of a lot better than one who just looks good on paper. 

As was Martin.  Gastineau was an idiot, who sold out to get to the QB, who put himself and sack numbers ahead of his team.  You have no idea what you're talking about.

6 minutes ago, SAR I said:

SAR I

I think you are selling Klecko a little short, i think he belongs in the discussion w/ guys like Easley.  Both were excellent players

1 minute ago, Jet Nut said:

Joe Klecko was a hell of a lot better than one who just looks good on paper. 

As was Martin.  Gastineau was an idiot, who sold out to get to the QB, who put himself and sack numbers ahead of his team.  You have no idea what you're talking about.

Gastineau was one dimensional, Klecko was the better all around player.  I still believe some day Joe will get in, when that is I have no idea.

4 minutes ago, nyjunc said:

Gastineau was one dimensional, Klecko was the better all around player.  I still believe some day Joe will get in, when that is I have no idea.

Every player who lined up next to them or against them would agree. 

6 minutes ago, Shadetree said:

I'll never set foot in the HOF unless Klecko gets in. NEVER!!!!

I blame Peter King. I don't know if it's justified, I just blame him anyway. He's a pro-patriot/anti-jets blow hard.

One of those in that room every year is Peter King of Sports Illustrated, and he'll be among members of the full committee casting votes on the Class of 2015 on Jan. 31, 2015, the day before Super Bowl XLIX in Phoenix.

"I am an ardent supporter of Joe's candidacy. He belongs in Canton," Peter told me. "Anyone who was as dominant as Klecko was, and a star player at three different positions on the defensive line, should be enshrined."

http://www.newyorkjets.com/news/article-randylangeblogfb/Joe-Klecko-Takes-Aim-at-Hall-of-Fame-Again/5aa49d39-c404-4bf8-a618-d4fe0c55b256

1 hour ago, nyjunc said:

And Gastineau was a 3 time 1st Team All Pro and you have a better shot at the HOF then he does..:) 

23 minutes ago, Savage69 said:

And Gastineau was a 3 time 1st Team All Pro and you have a better shot at the HOF then he does..:) 

the way he left the game ruined his hall chances.  he would be an interesting subject for "A football life"

Former Jets great Joe Klecko snubbed by Hall of Fame -- again

By the Dick Scpitz-mini

Former New York Jets great Joe Klecko was snubbed again by the Pro Football Hall of Fame.

On Monday, the Hall of Fame announced its only senior finalist for 2017, former Seattle Seahawks safety Kenny Easley, a member of the NFL's all-decade team for the 1980s. Players such as Easley and Klecko fall into the senior category because they're at least 25 years removed from their last season. By rule, the committee was limited to only one senior finalist this year. Next year, it'll be two.

Klecko -- 0-for-3 as a senior candidate -- belongs in Canton. He was one of the NFL's top defensive linemen in the 1980s, making the Pro Bowl at three different positions along the line. He has received public endorsements from several Hall of Famers, most recently John Hannah, who gave Klecko a nice plug on Hall of Fame Radio. But where's the support from the nine-member senior committee?

"It's always a hope,” Klecko told me about a year ago. “Being elected to the Hall of Fame would be such a special thing -- outrageous. People talk about it, which flatters me. I don't have overwhelming credentials and I never played in a Super Bowl, and that seems to be a big catalyst."

Not always, though. Easley never played in a Super Bowl; his postseason resume consists of six AFC playoff games in a seven-year career. He was a five-time Pro Bowl selection and a three-time All Pro. Klecko had four Pro Bowls, two All-Pros and five playoff games. He played in 155 games to Easley's 89.

One of these day, hopefully, the Hall of Fame will get it right.

2 minutes ago, nyjunc said:

the way he left the game ruined his hall chances.  he would be an interesting subject for "A football life"

Even the rest of the sack exchange didn't like him not just the way he left the game..B) Mark was a freak athlete on the field and a real freak off it.. Although he seems to have found peace now that he's older.. 

Archived