#TEAMPETTY

CobraVerde

7 hours ago, rex-n-effect said:

Our threes are better than Decker? 

Our threes are better than our twos?

This makes no sense. I get it: you're just interested in repeating whatever garbage props up Geno.

Wrong again bro. I am a Jets fan. Been so for decades now. Whoever plays for them I want them to do well. When they are no longer a NY Jets player I wish them well except against the Jets.

just where did I say that any of those individuals are better than Decker? As a group this current unit of WR's is the best I have ever seen the Jets have. Certainly better than the 2013-2014 Jets WR's which as a UNIT included Decker

• Replies 297
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 hours ago, DonCorleone said:

To say he is better than Geno is really not saying much. Browning Nagle was probably much better than Geno. I agree that seeing him with the number ones would be incredibly interesting. Petty release is quick and smooth. I am not used to such as a Jets fan. I am most likely in the minority but I sincerely do not see the need to carry 4 QBs. Spare us all and release the circus that Geno is.  A pre season game usually means nothing, but it was superbowl week for Geno and he was well aware of it. Another typical Geno mind boggling INT . He again failed miserably. 

Hear, hear.  And here's my thought process:

Odds are we aren't making the playoffs and odds are Fitzpatrick will get injured.  Schedule is just too hard and Fitz scrambles way too much.  So when he goes down for a few games or we've lost 6 in a row and we need a change and some Jet needs to come off the bench I want that Jet to be one of the young kids and not Geno Smith.  Geno Smith is not saving anyone's season and he's not saving Maccagnan's job.  Bryce Petty might be a franchise quarterback.  Geno Smith most definitely isn't. 

SAR I

I find it comical that so many here base the "emergence" of Petty and the "sinking" of Geno solely on meaningless preseason games.  You guys are buying into the media hype hook line and sinker. 

Now I'm not saying Petty can't supplant Geno as the #2 but I trust that the coaching staff is evaluating the complete body of work including off field film study and work throughout the entire offseason.. If they truly feel Petty is ready and is capable of taking he backup reigns then happy days and it makes sense to offload Geno. But I trust and pray that our front office isn't basing these decisions on what happened in the Jags and Skins games - if they do, like the beat writers and impatient fanbase  has seemingly done , ' I'll lose a lot more faith in the direction of this team. . 

I find it comical that so many here base the "emergence" of Petty and the "sinking" of Geno solely on meaningless preseason games.  You guys are buying into the media hype hook line and sinker. 

Now I'm not saying Petty can't supplant Geno as the #2 but I trust that the coaching staff is evaluating the complete body of work including off field film study and work throughout the entire offseason.. If they truly feel Petty is ready and is capable of taking he backup reigns then happy days and it makes sense to offload Geno. But I trust and pray that our front office isn't basing these decisions on what happened in the Jags and Skins games - if they do, like the beat writers and impatient fanbase  has seemingly done , ' I'll lose a lot more faith in the direction of this team. . 

Lose faith all you want. No one cares.

Geno Smith sucks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4 minutes ago, 56mehl56 said:

what has geno ever accomplished to support his candidacy as a #2 qb in the nfl?  what is his resume that's so accomplished?

2 hours ago, Jetdawgg said:

Wrong again bro. I am a Jets fan. Been so for decades now. Whoever plays for them I want them to do well. When they are no longer a NY Jets player I wish them well except against the Jets.

just where did I say that any of those individuals are better than Decker? As a group this current unit of WR's is the best I have ever seen the Jets have. Certainly better than the 2013-2014 Jets WR's which as a UNIT included Decker

Okay now I understand what you're saying but I don't understand why you're saying it. We're comparing Geno's performance this year with the twos with Petty's performance with the threes this year. Same unit, same year. Nobody is looking backwards at Geno in 2014 and Petty in 2016.

1 minute ago, Augustiniak said:

what has geno ever accomplished to support his candidacy as a #2 qb in the nfl?  what is his resume that's so accomplished?

What does that have to do with what I said.  If Petty is judged by the coaching staff to be the superior option for the backup job - he should get the backup job. But I don't want him handed the job because he's the flavor of the week. I trust the staff will do their full due diligence in making the decision and will not simply jettison Geno because he wasn't drafted by them or is not a fan favorite. This team is built to win now and given Fitz's track record they betterbelieve they picked the right backup.  

13 minutes ago, 56mehl56 said:

Geno sank long before preseason...I didn't need media to tell me that

i think jets fans are so afraid Geno will go onto some other team and win a Super Bowl or something they are paralyzed and delisional

What does that have to do with what I said.  If Petty is judged by the coaching staff to be the superior option for the backup job - he should get the backup job. But I don't want him handed the job because he's the flavor of the week. I trust the staff will do their full due diligence in making the decision and will not simply jettison Geno because he wasn't drafted by them or is not a fan favorite. This team is built to win now and given Fitz's track record they betterbelieve they picked the right backup.  

They'll jettison Geno Smith because he sucks. Your feelings will not be taken into consideration.

1 minute ago, SickJetFan said:

Geno sank long before preseason...I didn't need media to tell me that

i think jets fans are so afraid Geno will go onto some other team and win a Super Bowl or something they are paralyzed and delisional

I don't care what happens to Geno if he leaves the Jets. What I care about is a team that is built to win now relying on a weak armed journeyman QB who has an injury history. This has the potential makings of Parcells relying on Rick Mirer when Vinny went down. Could Petty truly hold down the starting job if Fitz gets injured. 

2 minutes ago, 56mehl56 said:

I don't care what happens to Geno if he leaves the Jets. What I care about is a team that is built to win now relying on a weak armed journeyman QB who has an injury history. This has the potential makings of Parcells relying on Rick Mirer when Vinny went down. Could Petty truly hold down the starting job if Fitz gets injured. 

I think he would be better than geno

If Fitz gets hurt, Geno Smith is not the answer. He has proven that.

Next.

15 minutes ago, rex-n-effect said:

Okay now I understand what you're saying but I don't understand why you're saying it. We're comparing Geno's performance this year with the twos with Petty's performance with the threes this year. Same unit, same year. Nobody is looking backwards at Geno in 2014 and Petty in 2016.

Geno played and started as a rookie and sophomore QB. Petty has yet to play in other than a PS game and he is in his second season already. I just don't understand how you can over look that fact and the others that I have presented here when comparing the two QB's.

30 minutes ago, 56mehl56 said:

You can't be serious. 

Geno Smith sucks. 

SAR I

12 minutes ago, 56mehl56 said:

This season doesn't matter. If Fitzpatrick goes down and we go 5-11 but Bryce Petty looks like our future in the process it will feel better than winning a wildcard berth. 

SAR I

2 minutes ago, 56mehl56 said:

But it doesn't matter what you are I think. It matters what the coaching staff thinks and that's my point

Lighten up mcfly this is a football forum for fan opinion

my opinion is the coaching staff will in the end do the right thing...this is no longer the idziot/Rex circus

2 minutes ago, SAR I said:

This season doesn't matter. If Fitzpatrick goes down and we go 5-11 but Bryce Petty looks like our future in the process it will feel better than winning a wildcard berth. 

SAR I

Tell that to Nick Mangold, Brandon Marshall, David Harris, Darelle Revis. These guys especially the first 3 want a SB in the worst way - which is why its imperative this team truly believes in its backup QB . If its Petty great , but if not they are not going to lay down because Geno gets the cal.l. 

1 minute ago, Jetdawgg said:

Geno played and started as a rookie and sophomore QB. Petty has yet to play in other than a PS game and he is in his second season already. I just don't understand how you can over look that fact and the others that I have presented here when comparing the two QB's.

Your argument here is heads-I-win-tails-you-lose. You want to give Geno credit for his experience over Petty's lack of experience but you don't want to discredit Geno with the poor performance those two years because the receivers those years sucked ass. You can't have it both ways. If Geno's experience matters then you have to account for how poorly he performed. If you want to discount his poor prior performance because the WRs sucked then the fact that he has starter experience is of little value.

Moreover, I can't see why this matters when comparing two QBs playing in the same game with the same WR unit. Geno played with the twos and he's experienced. He should have been blowing away a Petty playing with the threes. He didn't.

There are many advantages to the jets if Petty wins out for the #2. He is cheaper, under contract longer (Geno is as good as gone next year), Hack would get more reps and we would get another spot (assuming the Jets were going to keep 4 QBs). IMO there are only 2 questions that need to be asked:

1. With the schedule we have to start the season, if Fitz goes down early, can Geno win enough games to keep us in the hunt (hard to gage)

2. If Geno was gone soon, and therefore Petty would get all of the #2 reps for the first 8 games, can Petty be just as good as a backup as Geno.

If the answer to #1 is no and the answer to #2 is yes, there is no advantage in NOT moving on from Geno

I know the writers speculated on it, but I never thought there was possibility for this FO to cut Petty over Geno. There's 3 QBs on the roster that Mac signed. He has nothing invested in Geno.  

Geno had to play lights out in preseason and practice to be considered a keeper over Mac having to consider getting rid of a guy he personally chose.

1 hour ago, 56mehl56 said:

Very serious . Do you trust Petty holding the reigns this season if Fitz goes down ?? 

Absolutely.

Fitz goes down, Petty (as he is today) can win a similar number of games as Geno could.  Frankly, I think he'd win more.

Petty has a future here, Geno does not.

Petty was picked by Macc, Geno was not.

Petty has shown marked improvement, Geno has not.

This is not as hard a decision as some want it to be.

1 hour ago, 56mehl56 said:

Very serious . Do you trust Petty holding the reigns this season if Fitz goes down ?? 

Here's what you need to buy into, these truths should be self-evident:

1. The odds of the Jets making the playoffs with a schedule this hard is less than 10%.

2. If Fitz goes down for even one game, the odds of the Jets making the playoffs goes to 0%.

3. So the answer to your question is "it doesn't matter for 2016, but it can make all the difference for 2017". 

This is going to be a wasted season if all we do is chase the playoffs with Ryan Fitzpatrick.  We will be in the same spot a year from now, questioning if Petty or Hackenberg could be good or if Fitzpatrick needs to be re-signed.  You should look at the backup QB role for this year as the spot for the QB on the roster most likely to be our starter in 2017.  And that QB is not Geno Smith.

SAR I

24 minutes ago, SMC said:

I know the writers speculated on it, but I never thought there was possibility for this FO to cut Petty over Geno. There's 3 QBs on the roster that Mac signed. He has nothing invested in Geno.  

Geno had to play lights out in preseason and practice to be considered a keeper over Mac having to consider getting rid of a guy he personally chose.

Yes.  And an alternate perspective:

If Fitzpatrick goes down for, say, 4 games both Geno Smith and Bryce Petty can do no better than 1-3.

However, Petty getting 4 games of NFL starting experience will answer the question of whether or not he might turn into something in future years.  We learn nothing new about Smith.  Again, this is the reason Bryce Petty is a no brainer for the #2 role; the season ends if Fitzpatrick goes down for a few games.  We need a clear runway to give one of the new kids the reins, find out if we hit draft paydirt, giving Geno Smith playing time is nonsensical.

SAR I

2 hours ago, 56mehl56 said:

Wasn't Mirer the seasoned vet with the poor resume in that example (I.e. - Geno) ?

that part of your post sounds like you are supporting Petty

i believe in another post you add the caveat of ... As long as the coaches aren't basing there decision just on the last 2 weeks ... And then your final sentence here "could Petty truly hold down the #2 QB job"

These seem like you are doubting that Petty the moderately known > Geno the known to be bad

the coaches certainly seem to be ready to give Petty the passing grade as long as he doesn't stumble these last 2 weeks!

Tell that to Nick Mangold, Brandon Marshall, David Harris, Darelle Revis. These guys especially the first 3 want a SB in the worst way - which is why its imperative this team truly believes in its backup QB . If its Petty great , but if not they are not going to lay down because Geno gets the cal.l. 

Again, you can't be serious.

These guys aren't here for Super Bowl glory, they're here for the money.  Hey, it's easier to play for a 10 win team that's hopeful, but come on, we are one year removed from John Idzik's roster destruction and are patched together with glue and duct tape facing a very hard schedule.  Trust me, when Brandon Marshall signed here a year ago, he didn't tell Mike Maccagnan "I'm signing with the Jets because I want to play for a Super Bowl contender."  If he did, Macca would have thrown him out of Florham Park for saying something so ludicrous.

Be real, please.  We don't have all night to get your head on straight.

SAR I

But it doesn't matter what you are I think. It matters what the coaching staff thinks and that's my point

This doesn't make any sense.

of course what the Coaches think is what will lead to the decision they make !?!?!?! Who is arguing against that ?

thats like me saying ... When I decide I am going to take a $h*t is when the smelly t*rd will exit my sphincter ... That's my point

whaaaaaaaaaaaaat ??????

I want to see 1 (or even 2)more game, and against the 2's ... But as long as he plays similarly to what he's shown so far then yes.

How about you?

if Petty plays equal to or better than he did in Washington who do you want as our #2 ... If you had to use your brain and venture an opinion that chose 1 player vs. the other based solely on your thoughts and you not being just some robot follower of someone else

3 hours ago, 56mehl56 said:

What is his injury history exactly? He's started over 100 games and in that time has zero soft tissue injuries and the only times I can find he has missed games due to injuries in 11 years is broken leg end of 2014 and half a game with a thumb in 2015. He might not be Brett Favre but the guy is pretty freaking durable.

4 hours ago, 56mehl56 said:

If Fitz goes down and Petty becomes the guy, isn't it worth the chance that he loses a game or two more than Geno would have, in order to find out what we really have in Petty?

5 hours ago, rex-n-effect said:

Your argument here is heads-I-win-tails-you-lose. You want to give Geno credit for his experience over Petty's lack of experience but you don't want to discredit Geno with the poor performance those two years because the receivers those years sucked ass. You can't have it both ways. If Geno's experience matters then you have to account for how poorly he performed. If you want to discount his poor prior performance because the WRs sucked then the fact that he has starter experience is of little value.

Moreover, I can't see why this matters when comparing two QBs playing in the same game with the same WR unit. Geno played with the twos and he's experienced. He should have been blowing away a Petty playing with the threes. He didn't.

Last cycle. Your hatred of Geno really blinds you to the facts. 

Archived