Fitz is hot garbage.

Embrace the Suck

5 minutes ago, SAR I said:

No, what's funny is how so many expect Ryan Fitzpatrick to play like Tom Brady in these parts, it's laughable.

The Jets, like 25 other teams in the NFL, don't have a franchise quarterback.  So they sniffed the waiver wire, they took some dicerolls in the draft, and they picked up the best guy available in free agency in Ryan Fitzpatrick.  To expect him to play like Aaron Rodgers and hold him accountable to analysis like Aaron Rodgers is ridiculous.

"Look!  He didn't see Matt Forte in the flat!"  "Look!  He locks on to his primary receiver!"  "Look!  He forced the ball into double coverage!"  These are surprises to you?  You think a 33 year old journeyman quarterback is suddenly going to be groomed into Andrew Luck because he has some nice names as receiving targets?  You think the greatest QB in the NFL went undiscovered and fell into our laps because he's good at reading defenses and misdirecting safeties?  LOL.

You guys dissecting and criticizing Ryan Fitzpatrick is a colossal waste of time, anyone can tell you how he is going to play before he even plays.  2 TD's 1 INT, 200 yards, that's about what you get.  His greatest strength is his pocket presence and ability to scramble for first downs, he's a leader, players like him, he's a good mentor for Petty.  Oh, he doesn't look like Ben Roethlisberger?  Wow, shocker.

SAR I

There's a whole lot of middle ground between Tom Brady like play and what we got out of Fitz his last 2 games. 

Playing the way he did on Sunday isn't made better because players like him or he has pocket presence.  

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
24 minutes ago, SAR I said:

You are out of your mind.

First, Ryan Fitzpatrick had one of his better games on Sunday, clutch 3rd down conversions, 2 pretty TD passes, had us with the lead against a superior opponent with 2 minutes left on the 16 yard line before our lousy secondary blew it.  it's not like we signed Aaron Rodgers in the offseason.  Second, Geno Smith is the worst quarterback in the NFL and bringing him in wouldn't be a "spark", it would be a suicide.

SAR I

if anything, rex would have geno's number, he coached him for two seasons.  

1 hour ago, Villain The Foe said:

@Warfish 

Anything to contribute to these "Advanced Stats" sir? 

Fitz under-performed week 1.  He must play better.  

Fitz was neither the primary or secondary reason we lost week 1.  Fitz played well enough to win that specific game.  

The primary causes would be Folk, and the weak Passing D.  A secondary cause was uninspired play (especially on the drop, but more broadly all day) by Marshall, upon whom we all agree Fitz relies.  A tertiary reason was poor play calling by Chan in goalline situations, uncluding poor utilization of his assets (i.e. the Forte up the middle fail).

Frankly, at this point, I don't see much else that needs saying.  

Let hope Folk, Revis, Marshall and Fitz all play better on Thursday.

13 minutes ago, SAR I said:

No, what's funny is how so many expect Ryan Fitzpatrick to play like Tom Brady in these parts, it's laughable.

The Jets, like 25 other teams in the NFL, don't have a franchise quarterback.  So they sniffed the waiver wire, they took some dicerolls in the draft, and they picked up the best guy available in free agency in Ryan Fitzpatrick.  To expect him to play like Aaron Rodgers and hold him accountable to analysis like Aaron Rodgers is ridiculous.

"Look!  He didn't see Matt Forte in the flat!"  "Look!  He locks on to his primary receiver!"  "Look!  He forced the ball into double coverage!"  These are surprises to you?  You think a 33 year old journeyman quarterback is suddenly going to be groomed into Andrew Luck because he has some nice names as receiving targets?  You think the greatest QB in the NFL went undiscovered and fell into our laps because he's good at reading defenses and misdirecting safeties?  LOL.

You guys dissecting and criticizing Ryan Fitzpatrick is a colossal waste of time, anyone can tell you how he is going to play before he even plays.  2 TD's 1 INT, 200 yards, that's about what you get.  His greatest strength is his pocket presence and ability to scramble for first downs, he's a leader, players like him, he's a good mentor for Petty.  Oh, he doesn't look like Ben Roethlisberger?  Wow, shocker.

SAR I

They do, IMO, believe Geno Smith would do this.  

So for them, it's valid to hold Fitz to that standard, because Geno "would have played better" if we only "gave him a fair chance" with the "weapons".

The hatred of Fitz has always been first and foremost support for Geno Smith and his "potential".

2 hours ago, Villain The Foe said:

Exactly. Wasnt it last season where Geno completed 64% of his passes, 2 TD's, 1INT for 270 yards coming into the game cold and was absolutely ripped to shreds for that performance? Wasnt it Geno who threw a pass this preseason into double coverage and Jets fans were talking about how "It was the worse pass" they ever seen (against Redskins)?

Fitz statline Sunday was poor. The Redzone offense was poor. He played a below average game. Good decision making, poor accuracy. Geno's Raiders game was much better though he came in cold with no chemistry with the 1's and was coming back from injury. When its Fitz we hear about it being a "team loss"...which is true, but if that was Geno on the field yesterday would we hear about a "team loss"? Doubt it. The Jets lose against the Raiders and people literally made the excuse that the Jets defense played poorly because Geno was the QB on the field. 

Speaking of Geno throwing into double coverage, FItz threw into quadruple coverage Sunday and no one said a word. But thats not even the worst part. Not only did he throw into quadruple coverage, but Forte is WIDE OPEN in the flat at the top of the screen. I mean c'mon, someone has to be open if there are 4 guys around Marshall. 

BUT BUT BUT BUT FITZ IS SUCH A SMART QB!!! :lol:

9 minutes ago, King P said:

BUT BUT BUT BUT FITZ IS SUCH A SMART QB!!! :lol:

I guess it takes a Harvard grad to throw into quadruple coverage and get away with it by the fans. lol.  

I can just imagine all the "Geno's dumb as rocks" comments if this was Geno throwing into quadruple coverage with Forte wide open in the flat, or Geno overthrowing Marshall in the endzone, or Geno overthrowing Jalin and Jalin tipping the ball away to avoid the possible INT.  

But you know...It's Fitzmagic! :rolleyes:

31 minutes ago, Warfish said:

They do, IMO, believe Geno Smith would do this.  

So for them, it's valid to hold Fitz to that standard, because Geno "would have played better" if we only "gave him a fair chance" with the "weapons".

The hatred of Fitz has always been first and foremost support for Geno Smith and his "potential".

That's cute. So if petty was made the backup and geno cut in the preseason like we were hoping would happen, who would you be blaming then? Or are you just that much of a Fitzpatrick apologist 

7 minutes ago, cant wait said:

That's cute. So if petty was made the backup and geno cut in the preseason like we were hoping would happen, who would you be blaming then? Or are you just that much of a Fitzpatrick apologist 

It's like we have this unwritten rule that no matter how bad Fitz plays, no other QB on the roster could equal or outperform him. Fitz is a JAG that the Jets gave 12 million dollars to in order to start.

He looked like trash in the preseason and Jets fans were like "Its only preseason and it doesnt matter". He underperforms yesterday and when a poster makes a thread about it you IMMEDIATELY hear these guys talk about Geno Smith, a QB who wasnt on the field and had nothing to do with Fitz and his play...or lack of play.

That tells you everything you need to know.  

2 hours ago, JiF said:

This and I dont know how anyone is arguing differently.  The Bengals realized that Fitz couldnt and wouldnt throw the ball more than 5 yards and they sat on the underneath stuff and he was an absolute disaster in the 2nd half.  The team took zero shots down field.  Zero.  You can only run a 5 yard slant so many times before it becomes the easiest route to defend on the planet.

He average 1 more yard than the RB's.  That's absolutely pathetic when you think about how loaded this offense is.  Suck.  We're missing a window with this offense. 

I have stated it before Fitz was signed that if anyone was expecting a repeat of last season, they were delusional.  There is so much film on Fitz from last year teams KNOW he can't beat them deep (and if they can take away Brandon Marshall, he is effectively neutered). In fact, he didn't even ATTEMPT one DEEP pass to even TRY and keep the defense honest.  I hope Gailey can make some adjustments somehow, because otherwise it will be a long season and weapons like Robby Anderson and Peake will be made useless.   BTW on his game ending int, you could practically count to 10 waiting for the ball to get to Decker.   

I am praying Petty is healthy and gets chance, because just like last season, before Geno got punched, it would be nice to see what a young, strong armed quarterback can do with some real weapons.   

6 minutes ago, Villain The Foe said:

I guess it takes a Harvard grad to throw into quadruple coverage and get away with it by the fans. lol.  

I can just imagine all the "Geno's dumb as rocks" comments if this was Geno throwing into quadruple coverage with Forte wide open in the flat, or Geno overthrowing Marshall in the endzone, or Geno overthrowing Jalin and Jalin tipping the ball away to avoid the possible INT.  

But you know...It's Fitzmagic! :rolleyes:

what you fail to realize is that regardless of the coverage, marshal was still open. could have been 6 defenders in the area, if the ball wasn't tipped, it would have been a completion with an accurate throw, no?

10 minutes ago, ylekram said:

what you fail to realize is that regardless of the coverage, marshal was still open. could have been 6 defenders in the area, if the ball wasn't tipped, it would have been a completion with an accurate throw, no?

What you fail to realize is that even if the pass wasnt tipped, Fitz is an inaccurate passer trying to fit the ball in between 4 defenders on 1st and 10 when he has a guy wide open in the flat with no one around him. Why even take the chance when you're not even an accurate passer? Throw the ball to Forte and take what the defense is giving you. 

I cant tell you if Marshall would have caught that ball, I can tell you that even if he did attempt to make the catch the HIT he would have taken would have been unnecessary when you have Forte waiting for the ball. It was a dangerous throw no matter how you slice it. 

7 minutes ago, Villain The Foe said:

When you fail to realize that even if the pass wasnt tipped, Fitz is an inaccurate passer trying to fit the ball in between 4 defenders on 1st and 10 when he has a guy wide open in the flat with no one around him. Why even take chance when you're not even an accurate passer? Throw the ball to Forte and take what the defense is giving you. 

I cant tell you if Marshall would have caught that ball, I can tell you that even if he did attempt to make the pass the HIT he would have taken would have been unnecessary when you have Forte waiting for the ball. It was a dangerous throw no matter how you slice it. 

so an nfl qb is supposed to 2nd guess his accuracy? Fitzpatrick made himself $12m this year, doing the same exact thing last year. throwing to decker and marshal in tight areas and trusting they make the catch, which most of the time, they did. in hindsite, maybe the better play was to forte but the pass to marshal wasn't a bad decision. marshal was open. period. fitz decided to go with the 20+ yard gainer instead of going to forte in the flat. I don't see the problem and I definitely don't see where it is laughable

5 minutes ago, ylekram said:

so an nfl qb is supposed to 2nd guess his accuracy? Fitzpatrick made himself $12m this year, doing the same exact thing last year. throwing to decker and marshal in tight areas and trusting they make the catch, which most of the time, they did. in hindsite, maybe the better play was to forte but the pass to marshal wasn't a bad decision. marshal was open. period. fitz decided to go with the 20+ yard gainer instead of going to forte in the flat. I don't see the problem and I definitely don't see where it is laughable

No, he should have questioned his decision making on that play. Forte was wide open. Throwing into quadruple coverage on your own 16 yard line while ignoring the wide open receiver is not a bad decision????

Stop it ylekram. 

while I am on the subject, some of these gifs are laughable. I counted 4 bad throws all game. 2 are in your post. no excuses for those. the pass to marshal in the endzone was brutal. late and high hanging marshal out to dry. the one to decker was well behind the receiver. bad throw. the scramble up the middle which was said to be a panic move? who is open? nobody. he thought he could scamble for the 1st with nobody open. could he have waited? sure. but obviously he thought he could get to the marker. getting rid of the ball asap is fitzpatricks game. you know this

and then the jalin marshal throw. I don't know what you would expect. the pass was almost perfect considering the situation. marshal was his only option with the defender bearing down on fitz. linebacker directly in the throwing lane. had to drop the pass 1 foot over his out stretched hands. it was a near impossible throw for any qb. look at the play and tell me which qb makes that throw? he avoided the sack, ball didn't get interceted. job well done,imo

1 minute ago, ylekram said:

while I am on the subject, some of these gifs are laughable. I counted 4 bad throws all game. 2 are in your post. no excuses for those. the pass to marshal in the endzone was brutal. late and high hanging marshal out to dry. the one to decker was well behind the receiver. bad throw. the scramble up the middle which was said to be a panic move? who is open? nobody. he thought he could scamble for the 1st with nobody open. could he have waited? sure. but obviously he thought he could get to the marker. getting rid of the ball asap is fitzpatricks game. you know this

and then the jalin marshal throw. I don't know what you would expect. the pass was almost perfect considering the situation. marshal was his only option with the defender bearing down on fitz. linebacker directly in the throwing lane. had to drop the pass 1 foot over his out stretched hands. it was a near impossible throw for any qb. look at the play and tell me which qb makes that throw? he avoided the sack, ball didn't get interceted. job well done,imo

All of them are laughable. 

2 minutes ago, Villain The Foe said:

No, he should have questioned his decision making on that play. Forte was wide open. Throwing into quadruple coverage on your own 16 yard line while ignoring the wide open receiver is not a bad decision????

Stop it ylekram. 

regardless of what you think the better play was, marshal was open within the quad coverage, was he not? just because there were 4 guys in the area, doesn't mean he was quad covered because the fact is marshal was open

Just now, ylekram said:

regardless of what you think the better play was, marshal was open within the quad coverage, was he not? just because there were 4 guys in the area, doesn't mean he was quad covered because the fact is marshal was open

No, he wasnt. You dont put your WR in a situation to get blown up by a free safety running full steam at him like that. He wasnt open. He was covered, especially when you have Forte sitting here like "Look, 4 guys over there, no one by me....THROW IT!". 

Just now, Villain The Foe said:

No, he wasnt. You dont put your WR in a situation to get blown up by a free safety running full steam at him like that. He wasnt open. He was covered, especially when you have Forte sitting here like "Look, 4 guys over there, no one by me....THROW IT!". 

stop! he was open and just because the safety was in the area doesn't mean he was "running full steam waiting to blow him up". if the ball wasn't tipped, that's a catch wether marshal takes a hit or not

4 minutes ago, ylekram said:

stop! he was open and just because the safety was in the area doesn't mean he was "running full steam waiting to blow him up". if the ball wasn't tipped, that's a catch wether marshal takes a hit or not

He threw the ball into quadruple coverage while a guy was sitting in the flat with no defender in sight. 

Stop. 

59 minutes ago, cant wait said:

I wish Petty were ready to start, and will be pleased when he does start (if he does start).

I hope it's 2017, only because hiss tarting in 2016 means the 2016 season is already over and we're out.

As to your point, whatever you say mate.  Damn few of the Fitz-haters wanted Petty, they very much wanted Geno and still do.  If you want to claim you're the exception to the rule, great, I don;t nearly care enough to go searching through JN's sh*tty search features to prove or disprove such a claim.

19 minutes ago, Villain The Foe said:

He threw the ball into quadruple coverage while a guy was sitting in the flat with no defender in sight. 

Stop. 

again, I am not saying there wasnt a better option, just that option B wasn't a bad option like you are making it out to be

8 minutes ago, Warfish said:

I wish Petty were ready to start, and will be pleased when he does start (if he does start).

I hope it's 2017, only because hiss tarting in 2016 means the 2016 season is already over and we're out.

As to your point, whatever you say mate.  Damn few of the Fitz-haters wanted Petty, they very much wanted Geno and still do.  If you want to claim you're the exception to the rule, great, I don;t nearly care enough to go searching through JN's sh*tty search features to prove or disprove such a claim.

Agreed that if there's any QB change it means the season is already over. They aren't benching fitz if the team is still competing for a playoff spot. I have to think though that the decision to keep smith as #2 is strictly as injury replacement. And if fitz doesn't learn how to slide better soon he will get hurt playing like that... He's a tough guy but he took a pretty nasty looking shot to the dome after sliding head first on one of the possessions near the goal line

6 minutes ago, ylekram said:

again, I am not saying there wasnt a better option, just that option B wasn't a bad option like you are making it out to be

Okay. I think you dont make that throw unless you're Aaron Rodgers or a QB with pretty good consistent accuracy. Fitz is neither. Based on Fitz lack of accuracy on Sunday maybe we should be thankful that the pass was indeed tipped. When Fitz threw a pass down the seam to Jalin (around the same distance yardage wise) he completely overthrew him and if it wasnt for the tip by Marshall it could have been picked, thats the same play that Jalin got blown up by the safety running full steam at him. If you're not the time of QB that can throw the ball low in a situation like that (Jalin) in order to help the WR protect himself then the last thing you want to do is throw it high like that. If you're not the type of QB that can thread the ball with the right trajectory to get over the underneath guy but right into the breadbasket of the receiver in a timely manner (Brandon) then maybe you should throw it to Forte. 

You asked a question earlier about "should Fitz 2nd guess his accuracy". Maybe he should when he's been noticing how off target he's been, in relation to other receivers who are wide open on the football field. If you have a "hot hand" and you're throwing darts all over the field, then I could understand making that decision and THEN I could understand your position. However, when you're throwing the ball all over the place like that then I expect for you to understand that and make the better decision on that play. 

I dont expect Fitz to question his accuracy, but I do. 

17 minutes ago, cant wait said:

Agreed that if there's any QB change it means the season is already over. They aren't benching fitz if the team is still competing for a playoff spot. I have to think though that the decision to keep smith as #2 is strictly as injury replacement.

Agreed.  If Fitz blows out his ACL on Thursday, Geno will play that game out, and play till Macc/Bowles thinks Petty is ready, at least a few weeks.

And if fitz doesn't learn how to slide better soon he will get hurt playing like that.

Done it his entire career, he's generally durable enough.  But agreed.

He's a tough guy but he took a pretty nasty looking shot to the dome after sliding head first on one of the possessions near the goal line

He seems to take 5-10 of those a year.  

Fitz was taking too long to read and throw in the pocket.. Maybe he is still warming up from laying on the couch all summer why the rest of the team worked hard..Why cincy D cord was smart enough to recognize that and brought the heat with the rush/blitz packages..Gailey of course noticed that and helped fitz by calling some good screens.. Forte is a good screen rb.. The red zone failures is unacceptable , and main reason why we lost.. Fitz didn't play that bad, he just is not very good to begin with .

1 hour ago, Villain The Foe said:

Okay. I think you dont make that throw unless you're Aaron Rodgers or a QB with pretty good consistent accuracy. Fitz is neither. Based on Fitz lack of accuracy on Sunday maybe we should be thankful that the pass was indeed tipped. When Fitz threw a pass down the seam to Jalin (around the same distance yardage wise) he completely overthrew him and if it wasnt for the tip by Marshall it could have been picked, thats the same play that Jalin got blown up by the safety running full steam at him. If you're not the time of QB that can throw the ball low in a situation like that (Jalin) in order to help the WR protect himself then the last thing you want to do is throw it high like that. If you're not the type of QB that can thread the ball with the right trajectory to get over the underneath guy but right into the breadbasket of the receiver in a timely manner (Brandon) then maybe you should throw it to Forte. 

You asked a question earlier about "should Fitz 2nd guess his accuracy". Maybe he should when he's been noticing how off target he's been, in relation to other receivers who are wide open on the football field. If you have a "hot hand" and you're throwing darts all over the field, then I could understand making that decision and THEN I could understand your position. However, when you're throwing the ball all over the place like that then I expect for you to understand that and make the better decision on that play. 

I dont expect Fitz to question his accuracy, but I do. 

Especially on your own 16 yard line... 

34 minutes ago, Jetsplayer21 said:

Fitz was taking too long to read and throw in the pocket.. Maybe he is still warming up from laying on the couch all summer why the rest of the team worked hard..Why cincy D cord was smart enough to recognize that and brought the heat with the rush/blitz packages..Gailey of course noticed that and helped fitz by calling some good screens.. Forte is a good screen rb.. The red zone failures is unacceptable , and main reason why we lost.. Fitz didn't play that bad, he just is not very good to begin with .

BINGO! 

3 hours ago, SAR I said:

You are out of your mind.

First, Ryan Fitzpatrick had one of his better games on Sunday, clutch 3rd down conversions, 2 pretty TD passes, had us with the lead against a superior opponent with 2 minutes left on the 16 yard line before our lousy secondary blew it.  it's not like we signed Aaron Rodgers in the offseason.  Second, Geno Smith is the worst quarterback in the NFL and bringing him in wouldn't be a "spark", it would be a suicide.

SAR I

If you think this past Sunday was good Quarterback play you don't know football. Checking down almost every play and being unable to get the ball to your receivers split wide is an issue.

Archived