Fitz is hot garbage.

Embrace the Suck

I don't think we're going to get the same level of production that Fitz gave last year, I always thought that was unrealistic and a bit of a fluke.  On the flipside i'm ok if he outputs performances like the one he did today.  Peyton Manning didn't have a single game last season where he played better than Fitz did today, and the Broncos won the superbowl.  

The onus on winning for this team is basically on the coaching staff and how far our defense carries us.  It was our D that let us down today, and the good news is that I think we can play a lot better there.  I also think we should run the ball more.  Forte looked excellent all around.

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, Hael said:

I don't think we're going to get the same level of production that Fitz gave last year, I always thought that was unrealistic and a bit of a fluke.  On the flipside i'm ok if he outputs performances like the one he did today.  Peyton Manning didn't have a single game last season where he played better than Fitz did today, and the Broncos won the superbowl.  

The onus on winning for this team is basically on the coaching staff and how far our defense carries us.  It was our D that let us down today, and the good news is that I think we can play a lot better there.  I also think we should run the ball more.  Forte looked excellent all around.

I pretty much agree on all points. And for those reasons, I think Jets supremely overpaid for Fitz. I valued him right around $6mil, good backup/low end starter money. But now that he is making $12mil, he is expected to play at a much higher level than just winning against subpar teams. 

10 hours ago, FTL Jet Fan said:

Do you honestly believe that Geno would have been able to get the ball out as fast as Fitz did and  read the D pre snap as well as Fitz? I am no Fitz fan boy but there are the little thing that Fitz does that Geno can't. I know Geno has a better arm but he can't read a defense and gets the deer in the headlights look. One thing I can say about Fitz is he stays calm and dosent panic.

The are also a lot bad thing Fitz does but I don't think we would of won with Geno. Let's hope Petty shocks us all.

14 hours ago, Villain The Foe said:

Love how this instantly turned into Geno Smith. 

The damage control is impeccable. 

^^^^^^^

7 hours ago, long suffering jets fan said:

The fact that we didn't get the ball in is more about play calling and execution than anything else.  Fitz played a solid game to put us in scoring position that many times, but we need to finish the job, that's a team and play calling thing. 

On the Geno front, I agree it's pointless to discuss him, not sure why every Fitz thread becomes a Geno thread.  Pretty annoying actually, just when we have a good discussion it gets hijacked into a Geno discussion.  Enough already!

Fitz had a solid first half of football...the first half anyway The 2nd half was a dumpster fire. We had 5 possessions in the 2nd half and started that half off with 2 punts ,then 2 fieldgoals in the redzone because the offense couldnt move the ball if not for the running game by Forte and Powell...and we ended the game with an INT. 

Fitz had a solid first two quarters of football, but lets be real here, his 2nd half of football wasnt impressive at most or even solid at the least. He ended the game with 189 passing yards and completed just over 54% of his passes and was stopped 3 times in the redzone yesterday. There's no excuse for Nick Folk to have 3 fieldgoal attempts in the redzone. No excuse for the Jets to be stopped on the 1 yard line. 

Ryan Fitzpatrick needs to execute in the redzone, if he did that then these guys wouldnt be talking about Folks blocked kick and Marshall's drop because the score would have been Jets 30-something, Bengals 23. Folk didnt lose this game, the offense lost this game by not executing on 3 separate redzone drives...with one of them being 1 yard away from a score as well as putting up just 6 points in the 2nd half. 

And I agree, the fact that people even brought up Geno Smith is pure damage control. 

1 hour ago, Irish Jet said:

Fitz wasn't that bad. He's not an elite QB and no one claims he is. He's a QB who we can win with and we should have won with what he did yesterday. The pick came with no timeouts when he had to force it, that's often what will happen with non-elite QB's. 

Fitz as a Jet has only shown that he can win games against non Playoff-Caliber football teams. Granted, Fitz keeps most of the games close. But he's a "close but no cigar" quarterback. Fitz has now played 5 games against Playoff teams since being a Jet and has only won 2 of those games (2nd Patriots game, Redskins) and he's played 8 games where teams have scored 21 or more points and he's lost 7 of them. We've played against 4 of his prior teams 5 times and lost 4 of those games (lost to Texans, Bengals, Bills twice, beat the Titans<<<<non playoff football team). 

I agree that no one has ever said that he's an elite QB, but what HAS been said is that "He'a a QB who we can win with"....well, when it comes to playoff teams thats not a fact at all. When it comes to teams who totals 3 TD's in a game that's not a fact at all. When it comes to his old teams thats not a fact at all. If those three facts are true (which they are) then why do we continue to hear that he's a QB that we can win with when its either the fact that he wins against non-playoff caliber teams or its the defense who holds the opponent to less than 21 points? 

The Jets defense sacked the QB 7 or 8 times yesterday, picked off the QB, caused the Bengals to punt twice and the Bengals missed a FG themselves. The storyline here is that the Jets offense was totally inconsistent. They started out redhot on that first drive and ended the 1st half with 16 points. The 2nd half we started off with 2 punts, was stopped twice in the redzone and scored just 6 points in the 2nd half of the game. 

You dont win football games doing that. 

15 hours ago, greenwave81 said:

Fitz is what he is...we all know it, and so does the league....

But the fact of the matter is if Marshall catches that ball we had a great chance to win that game.

We all know Fitz isn't Aaron Rodgers or Tom Brady, but he's light years better than Geno.

and we are not even in that position if Fitz completes an easy 10 yard TD pass to Marshall earlier in the game, before the MISSED field goal.  Fitz arm was on display yesterday and it was ugly.

I gotta be honest. I can't believe how many people are this down on Fitz after yesterdays game. He helped the offense move the ball well all game and threw two TD's. They missed some opportunities in the red zone but the kicker missed an extra point and the ST had a chip shot FG blocked. Fitz will miss throws, he's not perfect, he's an average QB. I think people who are disappointed are judging him on a higher level then he is worth judging on.

That Marshall drop on the final drive was huge. Fitzpatrick read the defense beautifully and threw a nice pass right up the seam to Brandon who simply dropped it. That would have set the Jets up at midfield with it least 30+ seconds still on the clock. We would have had a great opportunity for a FG attempt. With a QB like Fitz you can't blow those types of catches in those situations. He's not an elite passer, he doesnt have the greatest arm so in situations where you have to push the ball down field in obvious passing situations he's going to struggle more than most. That drop was a killer because he made the big throw he needed to make.

When the game was still being played under normal circumstances Fitz walked off the field with the lead. He got the ball back with 54 seconds and no timeouts. The chances of the Jets winning at that point were low. It would be for most teams.

It's also important to remember that this is an excellent Bengals team the Jets played. They won 13 game last year and don't have a lot of weaknesses on the team. The Jets let an opportunity slip away but this isn't the Browns or Titans.

1 hour ago, Villain The Foe said:

Fitz as a Jet has only shown that he can win games against non Playoff-Caliber football teams. Granted, Fitz keeps most of the games close. But he's a "close but no cigar" quarterback. Fitz has now played 5 games against Playoff teams since being a Jet and has only won 2 of those games (2nd Patriots game, Redskins) and he's played 8 games where teams have scored 21 or more points and he's lost 7 of them. We've played against 4 of his prior teams 5 times and lost 4 of those games (lost to Texans, Bengals, Bills twice, beat the Titans<<<<non playoff football team). 

I agree that no one has ever said that he's an elite QB, but what HAS been said is that "He'a a QB who we can win with"....well, when it comes to playoff teams thats not a fact at all. When it comes to teams who totals 3 TD's in a game that's not a fact at all. When it comes to his old teams thats not a fact at all. If those three facts are true (which they are) then why do we continue to hear that he's a QB that we can win with when its either the fact that he wins against non-playoff caliber teams or its the defense who holds the opponent to less than 21 points? 

The Jets defense sacked the QB 7 or 8 times yesterday, picked off the QB, caused the Bengals to punt twice and the Bengals missed a FG themselves. The storyline here is that the Jets offense was totally inconsistent. They started out redhot on that first drive and ended the 1st half with 16 points. The 2nd half we started off with 2 punts, was stopped twice in the redzone and scored just 6 points in the 2nd half of the game. 

You dont win football games doing that. 

The kicker missed two kicks I'd have made myself. The sacks mean nothing went you can't cover the WR's. To act like Fitz is the main reason we lost is asinine - He managed the game well enough for us to win it which is all you're asking from a QB like Fitz. You and the rest of the anti-Fitz brigade will jump on him any time he loses unless he plays like Aaron Rodgers.  

Fitz is what he is, a guy that will give you mediocre play when he is surrounded with talent. When all goes well, we will win some games. When mistakes are made (missed EP's, missed FG's, dropped passes, blown defensive assignments), Fitz is not the kind of QB to overcome them. He's a bottom 3rd QB with a top talent team. That talent needs to play flawlessly for us to win games against better teams.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just now, Snell41 said:

Fitz is what he is, a guy that will give you mediocre play when he is surrounded with talent. When all goes well, we will win some games. When mistakes are made (missed EP's, missed FG's, dropped passes, blown defensive assignments), Fitz is not the kind of QB to overcome them. He's a bottom 3rd QB with a top talent team. That talent needs to play flawlessly for us to win games against better teams.

Which is why you don't pay him $12mm....That's almost the definition of an NFL back-up.

47 minutes ago, Irish Jet said:

The kicker missed two kicks I'd have made myself. The sacks mean nothing went you can't cover the WR's. To act like Fitz is the main reason we lost is asinine - He managed the game well enough for us to win it which is all you're asking from a QB like Fitz. You and the rest of the anti-Fitz brigade will jump on him any time he loses unless he plays like Aaron Rodgers.  

Folk didn't miss two kicks, he missed a PAT and one fg was blocked. To act like Folk is the main reason here is asinine. Getting into the redzone numerous times means nothing when you don't score TD's. THAT is why we lost. That's not "game management", that's not getting the job done.

You can call me part of some brigade, I have no problem with that since you ignored the facts presented anyway in order to damage control.

what gets me is that everyone keeps writing and saying the jets are a 'win now' team b/c the best guys are all old.  well those guys lost the game yesterday, beginning with revis, marshall's drop at the end, fitz's general inability to close the deal and folk's misses.  

meanwhile, the young guys like leonard williams is a stud.  darron lee was pretty good for his first game.  kyle williams had another pick.  the lineman everyone keeps bashing, played well - brian winters.  why they haven't intergrated jalin marshall more into the offense is beyond me, the guy is a playmaker.

i have a feeling this season is the proverbial transitional season, where petty is throwing to robbie anderson and jalin marshall at the end of the year.  the offense moved the ball well yesterday, but the problem is that there is no long ball, no home run threat with fitz.  it's like it was with pennington, they needed a perfect long drive to score.  i'd rather watch petty wing it down the field to the younger wrs flying around.  in the 2nd half it looked like the bengals were able to cover the 3 main wrs.  

Defenses have picked up on how to beat us. Look at the looks defenses are giving us. They're forcing us to make splash plays 20+ yards downfield and we're settling for dump offs to the RB's. This is bad guys. I'm not feeling good about Buffalo, especially knowing Rex knows how to beat us with this formula.

Which is why you don't pay him $12mm....That's almost the definition of an NFL back-up.

I agree, fought that battle all preseason. But it's done, he's here and he's the best we got. I said all along this is a 6-8 win team. Nothing's changed in my mind.

48 minutes ago, Villain The Foe said:

Folk didn't miss two kicks, he missed a PAT and one fg was blocked. To act like Folk is the main reason here is asinine. Getting into the redzone numerous times means nothing when you don't score TD's. THAT is why we lost. That's not "game management", that's not getting the job done.

You can call me part of some brigade, I have no problem with that since you ignored the facts presented anyway in order to damage control.

We lost for both reasons. For the record.

If we're ranking the reasons why we lost yesterday Fitz is down the list. He performed no better or worse than what is expected. Fitz isn't a guy who is going to put the offense on his back and single-handedly get the game winning TD but there are few QBs in the league who can do that and some wizards of fourth quarter comebacks, like Romo, haven't seen the playoffs much more than Fitz. I didn't love everything Fitz did and hated that overthrown pass in the endzone to B. Marshall but there is a lot of blame to pass around on yesterday's game.

So many other, more serious problems that should be first attributed with the loss. If not for the blocked FG and missed PAT then it was enough to win the game. If Revis wasn't left alone the whole game to cover Green then the Bengals maybe don't get those big pass plays. If the coaching staff adjusted to the Bengals short passing game we could have held them more. If the coaching staff hadn't called idiotic run plays in the redzone we may have had a TD instead of a FG. I'm more alarmed with the coaching issues than any missteps by any of the players on the field. If Fitz is hot garbage then the coaching yesterday was what, nuclear waste?

Watching highlights on my plane ride home from that mess, literally every single team in the NFL has an offense that can beat you on every level of the field, except the Jets.  It makes them ridiculously easy to defend.  

Thats scary when you think about how loaded this offense is.  

What up@njunc good luck this season (not a smart remark) 

and @nyjunc The thing some fans on here need to realize is Geno is not the answer either. Fans always love the guy that is not playing more than the guy who is playing. If Geno should be playing according to some fans here than he would of beat out Fitz in the preseason. He didn't. I ain't a "Fitz guy" cause he is who he is..he is a journeyman QB that at times could be really good. There was always a reason why he has played for multiple teams. 

Fitz is an average QB that is very good at making quick decisions which helps make up for a very average line.  His biggest weaknesses unfortunately are a weak arm with so so accuracy.  Mac held out until the very last minute trying to bring him in at a reasonable 3 year contract which would have given him low starter pay for this year and average backup pay for 2017 and 2018. I think Mac's thought process was that there wasn't a better starting option for 2016 than Fitz and he could help the youngsters with the cerebral part as a backup in 17 and 18.  When he couldn't get him to sign the contract he went with a one year prove it contract thinking that he was still the only option for 2016.  I think the management team has shown by their actions that they have no faith in Geno and are hoping to develop one or both of the young ones.  Even if one of the young ones do show progress I believe they will have to sign a veteran as a backup for protection and as an experienced tutor.  It appears that Fitz wants no part of that role and unless he shows much more than he has in his career this will probably be it as a Jet.

18 minutes ago, JiF said:

Watching highlights on my plane ride home from that mess, literally every single team in the NFL has an offense that can beat you on every level of the field, except the Jets.  It makes them ridiculously easy to defend.  

Thats scary when you think about how loaded this offense is.  

not taking shots downfield will doom this team.  and they finally have the weapons, height and speed.  if fitz can't do it, they're not making the playoffs.  

17 hours ago, drdetroit said:

Revis and Folk will get all the blame but how do we score just 20 points with arguably the best group of weapons in the NFL at home with our defense mostly playing well

Well, if you want to answer that, think about the playcalling and plays on our goalline attempts.

I saw bad ideas (Forte up the middle? wtf?), bad execution (Fitz missed pass), bad effort (Decker got moved bodily by the DB on a timing pass putting him way out of position to make a play), to bad luck (Fitz rushes to the 1/2 yard line, but thats as close as we got).

Now, I see alot of problems there, from Chan (Forte is not a goalline up the gut runner), to Fitz (needs to be better in execution) to Decker (who needed a much better effort on that play).  And thats just three plays.  

Folk missing the FG and PAT were just icing on the failcake that was the Jets inabillity to shove it in the endzone from close in.  But that icing was the straw that broken the camel's back, the difference maker.  Our failings, at multiple spots, would still have been overcome had he made those very makeable kicks.

Oversimplification and scapegoating doesn't serve us well.   The problems yesterday were legion, and fatal.  Fitz was a part, absolutely, but only a part of a broader picture of failed and missed opportunities.

4 minutes ago, Warfish said:

Well, if you want to answer that, think about the playcalling and plays on our goalline attempts.

I saw bad ideas (Forte up the middle? wtf?), bad execution (Fitz missed pass), bad effort (Decker got moved bodily by the DB on a timing pass putting him way out of position to make a play), to bad luck (Fitz rushes to the 1/2 yard line, but thats as close as we got).

Now, I see alot of problems there, from Chan (Forte is not a goalline up the gut runner), to Fitz (needs to be better in execution) to Decker (who needed a much better effort on that play).  And thats just three plays.  

Folk missing the FG and PAT were just icing on the failcake that was the Jets inabillity to shove it in the endzone from close in.  But that icing was the straw that broken the camel's back, the difference maker.  Our failings, at multiple spots, would still have been overcome had he made those very makeable kicks.

Oversimplification and scapegoating doesn't serve us well.   The problems yesterday were legion, and fatal.  Fitz was a part, absolutely, but only a part of a broader picture of failed and missed opportunities.

it starts with the qb's limitations, and ends with gailey not using guys like jalin marshall who need to get the ball in their hands.

2 hours ago, Augustiniak said:

not taking shots downfield will doom this team.  and they finally have the weapons, height and speed.  if fitz can't do it, they're not making the playoffs.  

In today's NFL, you have to be able to attack all levels of the field.  You have to, otherwise, you become predictable and easy to defend.  That's what you saw yesterday.  We came out hot, dinking and dunking...everything was working and the Bengals adjusted at the half and the Jets couldnt move the ball.  And this in on a day the RB's were averaging 5.1 per carry.  Let me repeat that, the RB's were basically averaging the same yardage per carry as the QB per throw.  That's pathetic. 

Meanwhile, the Bengals hit every single spot on the field.  Long passes, short passes, swing passes, TE's up the seam, RB's out the backfield...they threw everything at the Jets and they were basically breaking in a new offense outside of the RB's and AJ Green.  They attacked every level of the field and the Jets "dominate" defense with one of the most "brilliant defensive minds" in the game, couldnt adjust. 

1 minute ago, JetBlue said:

Dude stop already. This has nothing to do with Geno.  Let's see what Petty can do with is offense.  

I'm not even mentioning a name.  Just any of the younger guys that haven't proven to be bad over 11 years.

I don't care which one.  That's up to Bowles and Gailey.  We're not at practice to make that judgment.

Does it suck wasting 12mil?  Absolutely!  But we can't expect everyone to be smart enough to avoid those types of mistakes.  (Though I coulda swore there were a few guys around here saying something along those lines.)

Archived