Fitzpatrick Named AFC Offensive Player of the Week

kelly

1 minute ago, Matt39 said:

Of course you can count it. Both Geno and Sanchez's individual performances we're awful regardless of the team being strong or weak. Fitzpatrick on bad Buffalo teams hovered around average in context with the rest of the starters in the league. He was just on teams that carried really bad defenses.

You're taking in all 11 years. Compare Fitz first 30 games to Geno's career (about 30 games) and you'll begin to see all the things jets fans disregard because it didn't happen in a jets uni. 

Go, take a look. 

• Replies 258
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, Villain The Foe said:

You're taking in all 11 years. Compare Fitz first 30 games to Geno's career (about 30 games) and you'll begin to see all the things jets fans disregard because it didn't happen in a jets uni. 

Go, take a look. 

Why is this relevant to the present Jets QB situation?

6 minutes ago, Jet Fan RI said:

I think that the pitcher is even more important in baseball, although pitcher is a defensive position. It might be better to say in football, the offense completely revolves around the QB. But that is probably too strong of a statement. The QB is nothing without a good OL, receivers, and running backs. But in baseball, it is possible for the pitcher to pitch a perfect game, or even just a no hitter. In that case, all he really needs is a catcher. For defense, that is.

How many starting pitchers does a Baseball team have vs. starting QB's a Football team has?

21 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

You obviously never saw Montana play.  There's a reason many consider him the best ever.  It's not because his WRs bailed him out.  He was known for pinpoint accuracy 

Jerry Rice bailed him out. A lot. It was his job.  And I saw them play. And Montana was a great Qb and Fitz isn't.  And like Fitz and Marshall they had set plays where a great receiver is put into a position to make great catches. Bailing out a Qb is a good thing not a bad thing. 

1 hour ago, JiF said:

I think that question should have been asked to Slats before you basically said he was wrong.

When I think of Football, I think of the only team sport that completely revolves around 1 position.  To the point where the rules are changed regularly to favor the QB.

QB is the most important positoin in all of sports.  Therefore the NFL is QB driven.  

I mean, this is a conversation?  Why do QB's go #1 overall all the time?  Why did 2 teams trade the entire drafts for QBs?

For the sake of clarity I think use of the word "completely" is overdone.  A football team can lose a game thanks to its defense, which the Qb is no part of.  Even in some cases on the special teams. 

Look last year we lost six games: 2 to Buff, one to NEP, one to Houston, the Raiders, one to Philly. We won the other ten. So that was our schedule. You can't beat teams you never played. And NEP who won the SB the previous year with a similar schedule (ok they played Denver and we didn't) was 12-4. So they were two games better than us and we were coming off of a 4-12. Not a bad season or turnaround. 

6 minutes ago, Big Blocker said:

For the sake of clarity I think use of the word "completely" is overdone.  A football team can lose a game thanks to its defense, which the Qb is no part of.  Even in some cases on the special teams. 

Sure.  It's a team sport and a QB can play perfect and his team can lose.  But that doesnt change the fact the entire league revolves around the QB.  

23 minutes ago, Matt39 said:

Why is this relevant to the present Jets QB situation?

It isn't. It's just that when facts are stated there is either a double standard or if a stat is presented about Fitz that isn't liked then it's explained away by being called some sort of hater, or wishing for the team to lose just to be right. It's nothing different than what Sanchez/Geno received. I have yet to see a jet fan video screaming for Fitz to tear his ACL. Geno? Sure, I can find that video.

None of what anyone is talking has any relevance to the current qb situation if that's the case

3 minutes ago, JiF said:

Sure.  It's a team sport and a QB can play perfect and his team can lose.  But that doesnt change the fact the entire league revolves around the QB.  

If you mean that the QB is asked to do more than any other player? Then you are right. 

But QBs have always been taken high in drafts. Just because the rules have changed doesn't mean that you can't go through the old method.

For example, if defenders are now trying to defend more passes, it could mean that teams are more susceptible to the run

18 minutes ago, JiF said:

How many starting pitchers does a Baseball team have vs. starting QB's a Football team has?

How many games are there in a football season? How many in a baseball season? There are ten times as many baseball games as football games. Seems right there may be 10 times the number of pitchers as QB's. As an order of magnitude estimate.

2 minutes ago, Jet Fan RI said:

How many games are there in a football season? How many in a baseball season? There are ten times as many baseball games as football games. Seems right there may be 10 times the number of pitchers as QB's. As an order of magnitude estimate.

Better yet, have a bullpen of QBs. Oh wait, there already is. 

Which brings up another question. We don't see backups get a lot of playing time. Why?

8 minutes ago, JiF said:

Imo you overrate the Qb position. It is the most important position on the field but the Qb can play well and the team can still lose a game. And good coaches can work with average Qbs and win games. Teams are now starting to value top players on defense sometimes over the Qb position. In terms of salaries. Even an ex Pro Bowl Qb like Elway would take Von Miller over a good Qb and is starting a 7th rounder and going cheap at the position at least for this year. He could have paid Osweiler instead he paid Miller. 

32 minutes ago, Matt39 said:

Of course you can count it. Both Geno and Sanchez's individual performances we're awful regardless of the team being strong or weak. Fitzpatrick on bad Buffalo teams hovered around average in context with the rest of the starters in the league. He was just on teams that carried really bad defenses.

Also, when has Geno been the starter on a "strong" team?

5 minutes ago, UnitedWhofans said:

If you mean that the QB is asked to do more than any other player? Then you are right. 

But QBs have always been taken high in drafts. Just because the rules have changed doesn't mean that you can't go through the old method.

For example, if defenders are now trying to defend more passes, it could mean that teams are more susceptible to the run

3 minutes ago, Jet Fan RI said:

Just now, Rangers9 said:

Imo you overrate the Qb position. It is the most important position on the field but he can play well and the team can lose a game. And good coaches can work with average Qbs and win games. Teams are now starting to value top players on defense sometimes over the Qb position. In terms of salaries. Even an ex Pro Bowl Qb like Elway would take Von Miller over a good Qb and is starting a 7th rounder and going cheap at the position at least for this year. He could have paid Osweiler instead he paid Miller. 

You guys are right.  The QB position isnt important at all.

Pretty useless when you really break things down.

Just now, JiF said:

When did I say that. The QB position is just as important as it used to be. Or at least it should be. I would bet that there would be more quality QBs in the NFL of they was more time to develop them and the offense responsibilities were more evenly distributed

1 minute ago, JiF said:

Well now, that's going overboard. Yes, the QB, in general, is the single most important player on a football team. But my only point is that the pitcher is more important in a baseball game than the QB is in a football game.

10 minutes ago, Matt39 said:

He hasnt.

Exactly. Thank you for being honest. This is why the "Geno couldn't do this with weaponzzz" needs to stop. He never had weapons or an OC like Gailey, or a coach like Bowles. 

The team isn't the same. Macc replaced 36 players on the 53 man roster...the same roster Geno had to work with.

People should Be happy for Fitz accomplishments, but stop with the hate on other QB's while getting so upset by Fitz career stats. Either it works both ways or people need to stop pretending like it's just a Fitz attack. 

Just now, Villain The Foe said:

Exactly. Thank you for being honest. This is why the "Geno couldn't do this with weaponzzz" needs to stop. He never had weapons or an OC like Gailey, or a coach like Bowles. 

The team isn't the same. Macc replaced 36 players on the 53 man roster...the same roster Geno had to work with.

There wasnt anything from Geno's first two years that would keep me even remotely curious of what he would be doing with this current offense. I'm not even sure why its a conversation.

4 minutes ago, JiF said:

Nobody said that. But it's not worth ripping a team apart and only concentrating on that one position. Your Qb isn't going to be successful without a good O-line to start with. And if your defense stinks it's not their fault if the team loses games. We could have lost to Buff because of secondary breakdowns. The Jets this year are good to adequate at the QB position. You can win games with that. Last year we won ten games because of contributions from a lot of areas. We were and are a well balanced team if the secondary improves. 

1 hour ago, Villain The Foe said:

Because Fitz first 30 games were actually worse. You never know. 

lots of starting qb's start off rough and never become anything. very few start off rough and become something. lets waite till geno becomes better than horrible before we start to compare qb's 1st 2 seasons in the league. the last time I saw the 2 players mentioned, one had a kick ass game while the other had a firm grasp of a clipboard. I highly doubt we will ever be able to compare fitzpatricks 1st 11 years in the league and genos 1st 11 years in the league. but like you said, you never know

29 minutes ago, ylekram said:

lots of starting qb's start off rough and never become anything. very few start off rough and become something. lets waite till geno becomes better than horrible before we start to compare qb's 1st 2 seasons in the league. the last time I saw the 2 players mentioned, one had a kick ass game while the other had a firm grasp of a clipboard. I highly doubt we will ever be able to compare fitzpatricks 1st 11 years in the league and genos 1st 11 years in the league. but like you said, you never know

I agree, which is why people need to quit with the Geno remarks, especially if they can't handle 7-34 records. Just enjoy the accomplishment. 

2 hours ago, Jet Fan RI said:

By that logic, an MLB roster should have 530 players. 

10 minutes ago, slats said:

By that logic, an MLB roster should have 530 players. 

Not really. Just the one position for which it is physically impossible to play every day. And it was only an order of magnitude estimate. A better one would be based on the typical 5-man starting rotation, which makes it a factor of 5 instead of 10. Still, the total number of games does not give such a bad estimate either. If baseball played one game a week, they could get away with one starter, too. 

4 hours ago, ylekram said:

lol. jalin chose to leave the ground. he didn't have to. it was not a sh*t pass. a little high? sure. totally catchable without leaving the ground. keep searching. I am sure you will find something legit

It was a sh*t pass. Jalin was running one way, whereas the ball would have hit the dirt the other way if it wasn't for the jump. As someone who played the WR position at club level, I can assure you Jalin jumping for that pass wasn't a choice. Could he have caught it without jumping? Sure, he could have, but the difficulty level of it increases. You lead your receiver in such circumstances. It was a sh*t pass. Fumble wasn't Fitz' fault though. If it makes you feel any better, if Fitz throws such a pass again and completes it, Im not going to complain about it. It was a sh!t pass, like I said, but it was a completion and there's only so much you expect from a journeyman QB. 

Just now, Jet Fan RI said:

Nor really. Just the one position for which it is physically impossible to play every day. And it was only an order of magnitude estimate. A better one would be based on the typical 5-man starting rotation, which makes it a factor of 5 instead of 10. Still, the total number of games does not give such a bad estimate either. If baseball played one game a week, they could get away with one starter, too. 

Relax Bill Nye, I was just making a joke. 

Archived