Fitzpatrick Named AFC Offensive Player of the Week

kelly

1 minute ago, slats said:

The biggest knock on Fitz is that he doesn't beat good teams. He wins the games he should which, admittedly, is a major step up for the Jets, but he doesn't beat the good teams. So far this year, he's 0-1 against potential playoff teams, and offensive player of the week against a team that appears headed for a top five draft pick. 

He's not here on a one year deal for moral victories. He's surrounded by a good team. He has to beat good teams, and do it consistently. 

First he was 10-6 vs our schedule last year. He didn't up make the schedule. And it wasn't easy to win those ten games. And he didn't lose that Cincy game, Folk did. Buffalo is 0-2 but most prognosticators thought they could be a playoff contender. Their D played well against the Ravens. Plus they hung in the game and were in a position to win it. If they had made that onside kick. They had success against our secondary. Our offense won us that game.

• Replies 258
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, AFJF said:

The anti-Fitz stuf we heard during the offseason was stupid.  This stuff...blaming fumbles on the QB...there's not even a word for how insane that is.

Apparently, Fitz now needs to work on completing his passes in such a way that his receivers are in no danger of being tackled soon thereafter.  

SMH

Is it really that much to ask for him to immediately run down field after a completion and put both hands on the ball to ensure the WR doesnt fumble?

1 hour ago, AFJF said:

The anti-Fitz stuf we heard during the offseason was stupid.  This stuff...blaming fumbles on the QB...there's not even a word for how insane that is.

Apparently, Fitz now needs to work on completing his passes in such a way that his receivers are in no danger of being tackled soon thereafter.  

SMH

Exaggerate much? Plus, ball placement is everything in the NFL, is it not? The pass to Jalin was a sh*t pass, but not the cause of the fumble. The effort to catch the pas from Jalin was actually pretty good. It was one of the simplest routes in the league with a simple pass that Fitz effed up.Just ask Russell Wilson. It cost him the SB.

Bottom Line? It was a sh*t pass that further resulted in a fumble. You be the judge.

3 minutes ago, j4jets said:

Exaggerate much? Plus, ball placement is everything in the NFL, is it not? The pass to Jalin was a sh*t pass, but not the cause of the fumble. The effort to catch the pas from Jalin was actually pretty good. It was one of the simplest routes in the league with a simple pass that Fitz effed up.Just ask Russell Wilson. It cost him the SB.

Bottom Line? It was a sh*t pass that further resulted in a fumble. You be the judge.

lol. jalin chose to leave the ground. he didn't have to. it was not a sh*t pass. a little high? sure. totally catchable without leaving the ground. keep searching. I am sure you will find something legit

3 minutes ago, j4jets said:

I think that guys like Joe Montana made a career on s passes and were bailed out by guys like Rice. You throw the ball and expect the receiver to catch it and it doesn't have to be a perfect spiral either. So the Jalin Marshall throw wasn't perfect. He caught it didn't he. What were your other complaints about Fitz in the Bills game. Looks like the NFL and millions of fans think he had a good game.

8 minutes ago, Rangers9 said:

First he was 10-6 vs our schedule last year. He didn't up make the schedule. And it wasn't easy to win those ten games. And he didn't lose that Cincy game, Folk did. Buffalo is 0-2 but most prognosticators thought they could be a playoff contender. Their D played well against the Ravens. Plus they hung in the game and were in a position to win it. If they had made that onside kick. They had success against our secondary. Our offense won us that game.

You didn't dispute anything I said, you just made some weak, empty excuses. 

Fitz needs to beat good teams, and do it with some consistency. If he could've gotten the team into the endzone with seven downs in the red zone, you wouldn't have Folk to blame. He's got to step up. That's what good QBs do. 

1 minute ago, slats said:

Fitz needs to beat good teams, and do it with some consistency. If he could've gotten the team into the endzone with seven downs in the red zone, you wouldn't have Folk to blame. He's got to step up. That's what good QBs do. 

It's a team sport.

1 hour ago, Warfish said:

Least surprising thread ever.

I honestly feel bad that some folks are suffering from such rustled jimmies after a vital early season division win over our hated ex-Coach.

It must really take all the joy out of a victory to be rooting so actively for our defeat, for player injury, for QB failure.

I'd said it a million times, I'd much rather be dead wrong and win, that right and lose.  I'd write 10,000 mea culpa threads if it meant a Super Bowl.  If Geno Smith led us to a title, I'd build a god damn alter to the man, and put a permanent quote in my signature saying "I am an idiot, ignore what I say, I doubted the savior Geno Smith!"

We have far too many "fans" here who don't appear to care about winning games as long as they get to be right on the internet and tell us so.

If had any authority here whatsoever, I'd sell their accounts to Sean Deegan.

2 minutes ago, Integrity28 said:

If had any authority here whatsoever, I'd sell their accounts to Sean Deegan.

You know what really grinds my gears? I'm pretty sure that dude erased my entire existence off of that site after he and I had a private spat. I have a separate yahoo email which I use for registering on sites like JI (and JN) simply because I don't want lists flooding my regular mailbox. 

I check that account maybe once in a blue moon just to see if I missed anything, and lo and behold there are 8 billion emails from Scout on there. That guy sold my email off regardless. 

That was the schedule he faced last year and he played well and won ten games. He played good enough to beat the Bengals in a tough lower scoring game and the PK missed on 4 easy points. Could he have made more plays. Sure, but so could have everybody including Brandon Marshall. That L was not on him. This not beating good teams is a talking point by the anti Fitz crowd who thinks he isn't a legit starting Qb. He's beaten who he's played. But to make the playoffs we'll have to win at least 9 games and probably 10 on our schedule. We lost on tiebreakers last year. 

1 minute ago, RutgersJetFan said:

You know what really grinds my gears? I'm pretty sure that dude erased my entire existence off of that site after he and I had a private spat. I have a separate yahoo email which I use for registering on sites like JI (and JN) simply because I don't want lists flooding my regular mailbox. 

I check that account maybe once in a blue moon just to see if I missed anything, and lo and behold there are 8 billion emails from Scout on there. That guy sold my email off regardless. 

He did the same thing to me. Really unsurprising.

Just now, UnitedWhofans said:

What is your definition of driven?

I think that question should have been asked to Slats before you basically said he was wrong.

When I think of Football, I think of the only team sport that completely revolves around 1 position.  To the point where the rules are changed regularly to favor the QB.

QB is the most important positoin in all of sports.  Therefore the NFL is QB driven.  

I mean, this is a conversation?  Why do QB's go #1 overall all the time?  Why did 2 teams trade the entire drafts for QBs?

2 minutes ago, JiF said:

I think that question should have been asked to Slats before you basically said he was wrong.

When I think of Football, I think of the only team sport that completely revolves around 1 position.  To the point where the rules are changed regularly to favor the QB.

QB is the most important positoin in all of sports.  Therefore the NFL is QB driven.  

I mean, this is a conversation?  Why do QB's go #1 overall all the time?  Why did 2 teams trade the entire drafts for QBs?

We've just come off of a season where a bad quarterback won a championship. The New England Patriots are 2-0 without their starting quarterback. It is a QB favored league, for sure but..

Congratulations to Fitz for tremendous game.  He made me eat my words for at least a week.  With the weapons at his disposable, if he continues to get the ball downfield, this offense has the potential to become truly elite.  With B. Marsh and Decker hobbled, Robby Anderson and perhaps Charone Peake may soon get in on the fun as well.   

13 minutes ago, UnitedWhofans said:

We've just come off of a season where a bad quarterback won a championship. The New England Patriots are 2-0 without their starting quarterback. It is a QB favored league, for sure but..

I wouldnt call Peyton Manning a bad QB but yes, that team won on D.  How often does that happen?

The Cheatriots are 2-0 because their back up QB looks legit and has been playing lights out.  Unfortunately. 

1 minute ago, JiF said:

I wouldnt call Peyton Manning a bad QB but yes, that team won on D.  How often does that happen?

The Cheatriots are 2-0 because their back up QB looks legit and has been playing lights out.  Unfortunately. 

Peyton Manning was a bad QB last year. His stats show that.

If the Pats backup QB can play well and even their 3rd stringer can. what is the value of the starting QB?

And this is not the first time the Pats did this. Enter Matt Cassel

1 hour ago, slats said:

The biggest knock on Fitz is that he doesn't beat good teams. He wins the games he should which, admittedly, is a major step up for the Jets, but he doesn't beat the good teams. So far this year, he's 0-1 against potential playoff teams, and offensive player of the week against a team that appears headed for a top five draft pick. 

He's not here on a one year deal for moral victories. He's surrounded by a good team. He has to beat good teams, and do it consistently. 

As far as I'm concerned you're making up a stat category to rip Fitz (and when he beats good teams you'll think of others) just to prove you were right all along and he doesn't deserve the 12 mil. IMO even if he doesn't play well this year (and in 18 starts he has played well) it was a reasonable contract and low money to get a starting Qb in the NFL. You take a chance on any contract not every supposed franchise Qb is going to live up to their contract. Mac got a good deal because only one year and no additional guaranteed money. They can let him walk with no financial penalty. If he plays well and they want him back they will have to pay market not backup money. As for no market (he can take it or leave it) looks like some job openings now. And more to come. That was one of your lamer excuses. 

1 hour ago, slats said:

The knock first of all is one held unfairly and inaccurately, since he does and has beaten good teams.  The question you instead are legitimately raising is one of consistency. 

What Qb's consistently beat good teams?  Aaron Rodgers's team lost this past Sunday.  Does that mean he's not a good Qb?  And the last game he played Tom Brady's team lost, too.

I know, you probably meant by consistent to say more often than not or something to that effect.  But even there such Qb's as might fit that description are a short list.  And it takes having a good to great team around the Qb, in any event.  Do we think Drew Brees is now a bad Qb because his team does not even win against average teams?

Well, maybe if some of the people on this site were instead Saints fans, they probably would say that.  But you get my point.

1 hour ago, slats said:

The point is Buffalo was considered a good team entering the season and even entering the game after losing to the Ravens on the road.  No doubt the turmoil with the CS will hurt them going forward. But how much?  We don't; know at this point.  And saying where they rank right now means they are a bad team is silly since half the input on their stats came courtesy of the Jets.  In other words it's a circular argument to say the Jets are not that good a team because they beat a Bills team that is not that good a team because the Jets beat them.

29 minutes ago, UnitedWhofans said:

Peyton Manning was a bad QB last year. His stats show that.

If the Pats backup QB can play well and even their 3rd stringer can. what is the value of the starting QB?

And this is not the first time the Pats did this. Enter Matt Cassel

Right.  So the QB doesnt mean anything at all.

smh

24 minutes ago, Big Blocker said:

The point is Buffalo was considered a good team entering the season and even entering the game after losing to the Ravens on the road.  No doubt the turmoil with the CS will hurt them going forward. But how much?  We don't; know at this point.  And saying where they rank right now means they are a bad team is silly since half the input on their stats came courtesy of the Jets.  In other words its a circular argument to say the Jets are not that good a team because they beat a Bills team that is not that good a team because the Jets beat them.

Lol no they weren't. They were riddled with injuries before the season began, considered the #3 team in the AFC east even before the injuries and every commentator across the board picked the Jets to win the game that night. 

23 minutes ago, Rangers9 said:

I think that guys like Joe Montana made a career on s passes and were bailed out by guys like Rice. You throw the ball and expect the receiver to catch it and it doesn't have to be a perfect spiral either. So the Jalin Marshall throw wasn't perfect. He caught it didn't he. What were your other complaints about Fitz in the Bills game. Looks like the NFL and millions of fans think he had a good game.

You obviously never saw Montana play.  There's a reason many consider him the best ever.  It's not because his WRs bailed him out.  He was known for pinpoint accuracy 

19 minutes ago, Villain The Foe said:

That can't count. The same has been said about prior Jet starters, and that didn't count then. 

We even have guys making fun of it talking about that qb and "weaponzzz". 

Can't continue with these double standards because a qb is "liked" right?

Of course you can count it. Both Geno and Sanchez's individual performances we're awful regardless of the team being strong or weak. Fitzpatrick on bad Buffalo teams hovered around average in context with the rest of the starters in the league. He was just on teams that carried really bad defenses.

1 hour ago, JiF said:

I think that the pitcher is even more important in baseball, although pitcher is a defensive position. It might be better to say in football, the offense completely revolves around the QB. But that is probably too strong of a statement. The QB is nothing without a good OL, receivers, and running backs. But in baseball, it is possible for the pitcher to pitch a perfect game, or even just a no hitter. In that case, all he really needs is a catcher. For defense, that is.

Archived