Is Jalin Marshall becoming a problem?

Freemanm

3 minutes ago, JetBlue said:

Why is he playing over Robby Anderson who had a better preseason and is more explosive?  It makes absolutely no sense. 

Ask Bowles. I don't make personnel decisions. I'm not saying you're wrong, but neither of us have seen practice every day all summer and into the fall. 

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, Freemanm said:

He had a fumble that was returned for a TD against the Bills, and another one in this game. He also fumbled on a KO return in preseason. I'm beginning to see why he wasn't drafted. Will his fumbles become his demise as a Jet and in the NFL?

He's a very talented rookie going through some growing pains. 

11 minutes ago, CrazyCarl40 said:

Ask Bowles. I don't make personnel decisions. I'm not saying you're wrong, but neither of us have seen practice every day all summer and into the fall. 

No you don't and I don't have to be in practice sessions to know that is a bullsh*t answer.  The guy did everything they asked of him in the preseason.  I understand that Marshall, being smaller and shifter, has perfect size and ability to play slot receiver and that is probably the reason he has been playing over Anderson. However the guy produced everytime he stepped on the field.   I think the real reason he has not played as much is Fitz not being able to consistently get the ball down the field.   Even today when Anderson finally got a chance, and made good on it, the ball was under thrown.   What I truly don't understand is why they choose to go with Marshall over Anderson IN THE RED ZONE. You have a guy who is 6'3" and very good at high pointing the ball vs. the 5'10 guy.   I know lets go with the little guy!    

Other coaches can make the adjustments and create match up problem; our guy keeps doing the same thing over and over and until FORCED to do something different.  After today's debacle, I fully expect to see Anderson get more opportunities; other teams know that if they can take away Marshalll and or Decker, we are dead in the water... unless we can develop other weapons.    Anderson and even Peake need to be considered for more action in the games to come. 

While it's a tad ovedramatic to think the Jets should be outright cutting him at this point, there's definitely a need to give the kid some time to learn.  Honestly, I have been completely shocked that he's been getting reps over not only Anderson, but Peake as well, both of whom looked to be much more polished and consistent than Marshall throughout the preseason.  I understand the upside with Marshall, as he has a whole other level of athletic ability, but he's been very shaky in pretty much every area he's played since day one, so while he might be worth the effort if they think he's got real upside in the future, it doesn't seem like now is his time.  Anderson unfortunately doesn't match up to Fitz's strengths, and I'm still a bit unsure about how polished his route running is, which can always be a big difference maker if he's running nothing but go routes, but Peake would seem to be a much better fit for both Fitz and the type of receivers Gailey seems to like most.

No reason to give up on a young kid this early, but that also doesn't mean he has to be getting all of these reps before he's ready for them.

8 minutes ago, Jolot said:

Honestly I think you cut the kid tomorrow morning, no choice , you have a new regime still trying to build a culture here. I feel bad for the kid but its what needs to be done.

Then wouldn't you have to also cut Brandon Marshall, who has had a large number of drops, some in very critical junctures in the game. And, wait, you're saying you cut the KR for fumbles but the QB can play like sh*t MOST OF the season and still keep his job?!

25 minutes ago, phill1c said:

Then wouldn't you have to also cut Brandon Marshall, who has had a large number of drops, some in very critical junctures in the game. And, wait, you're saying you cut the KR for fumbles but the QB can play like sh*t MOST OF the season and still keep his job?!

Yes cutting a potential hall of famer for dropping a couple balls is exactly the same thing as cutting an undrafted rookie for 2 scoop and scores in 10 days ...that's a great comparison by you , keep up the good work 

Just now, Jolot said:

Yes cutting a potential hall of famer for dropping a couple balls is exactly the same thing as cutting an undrafted rookie for 2 scoop and scores in 10 days ...that's a great comparison by you , keep up the good work 

Thanks, having double standards for 'HOF' WRs who have critical drops seems equally intelligent. Moreover, Marshall has all of ONE season with the Jets. One NON-playoff season in a 'HOF' career that includes ZERO playoff appearances.

You need to be less simplistic.

3 hours ago, pointman said:

He makes me nervous. He also is starting to make Kerley seem good. Time to fix this, or give Anderson more snaps.

Bring back Ross. Marshall is just to inexperienced and reckless. And why isn't Robbie A getting more playing time. Bowles needs to get Robbie and Powell in the game more. 

2 minutes ago, phill1c said:

Thanks, having double standards for 'HOF' WRs who have critical drops seems equally intelligent. Moreover, Marshall has all of ONE season with the Jets. One NON-playoff season in a 'HOF' career that includes ZERO playoff appearances.

You need to be less simplistic.

Your right , I've given it some less simplistic thought , ..Jalin Marshall , Brandon Marshall ...really no difference at all. I have no idea what I was thinking , once again ..good work by you .

6 minutes ago, Powpow said:

Bring back Ross. Marshall is just to inexperienced and reckless. And why isn't Robbie A getting more playing time. Bowles needs to get Robbie and Powell in the game more. 

Did you see Forte take the hand off inside, then bounce it outside for that 17 yard (or so) pickup from around our 5? Forte is awesome. Just wanted to say that. 

13 minutes ago, Jolot said:

Your right , I've given it some less simplistic thought , ..Jalin Marshall , Brandon Marshall ...really no difference at all. I have no idea what I was thinking , once again ..good work by you .

I doubt that you actually were thinking, mostly just typing with anger.

1 hour ago, JetBlue said:

I know he played; how many passes went his way?  Why are they so focused on making Marshall part of the offense when Anderson is just flat out better.  

Isn't that Fitzpatrick's responsibility. the OC calls the play, which has multiple possible targets. the QB has to make the right decision on who to throw to. Quite frankly, the bad play I saw from Jalin Marshall was the fumble on the KO return. I saw no bad plays in the passing game.

15 minutes ago, pointman said:

Did you see Forte take the hand off inside, then bounce it outside for that 17 yard (or so) pickup from around our 5? Forte is awesome. Just wanted to say that. 

That was a sweet run but our OL sucked today. We could not establish a decent rushing attack. Forte had nowhere to go all day and Fitz felt inclined to force his throws all day.  Enunwa had several key drops as well that just deflated drives.  And you have to give KC secondary some credit. Our wr's were blanketed nearly the entire game. B Marshall's injury obviously hurt Fitz. He just could not get open all day. They should have just sat him and went with Robbie and Peake. 

7 minutes ago, 56mehl56 said:

He has potential but that fumble today should have glued his ass to the bench for the rest of today's game. 

Parcells and Belicheat would have benched him for several weeks. The only football he would have played the next 2-3 weeks would have been Madden ?. 

Honestly I think you cut the kid tomorrow morning, no choice , you have a new regime still trying to build a culture here. I feel bad for the kid but its what needs to be done.

What?! Why would you outright cut him? Fumbling can be fixed. Even the mental side of fumbling can be fixed. The kid is 3 games into his rookie campaign. He's got the yips right now. Sit him next week because he's earned it, and get Robby into the game. Take the next two weeks and coach-the-s*** out him. Work him in it's time. The guy may not ever fumble again after this game. Maybe he's a lost cause mental case. Who knows? He has some talent. His rebound in the 4th last week looked good.

What kind of culture would cutting him build? I doubt we'll be reading about his departure this week, but he'd better get his act together.

Just now, Powpow said:
5 minutes ago, chirorob said:

The timing of that fumble was awful. 

If you can't hold on to the ball, you shouldn't be in a position to have it in your hands.

The game was over right there. It just frustrated the whole team.  After last years horrible ST play, we are again giving games away. This has to stop. ST doesn't have to be lights out but it has to be at least effective. 

16 minutes ago, the Claw said:

What?! Why would you outright cut him? Fumbling can be fixed. Even the mental side of fumbling can be fixed. The kid is 3 games into his rookie campaign. He's got the yips right now. Sit him next week because he's earned it, and get Robby into the game. Take the next two weeks and coach-the-s*** out him. Work him in it's time. The guy may not ever fumble again after this game. Maybe he's a lost cause mental case. Who knows? He has some talent. His rebound in the 4th last week looked good.

What kind of culture would cutting him build? I doubt we'll be reading about his departure this week, but he'd better get his act together.

He doesn't have the yips.  Neither did Devin Smith.  These guys were on the big stage every week in college and performed.  It's purely a physical issue.  He carries the ball like a loaf of bread and he's getting smashed by guys who are a lot bigger and faster than he's used to.

5 minutes ago, detectivekimble said:

He doesn't have the yips.  Neither did Devin Smith.  These guys were on the big stage every week in college and performed.  It's purely a physical issue.  He carries the ball like a loaf of bread and he's getting smashed by guys who are a lot bigger and faster than he's used to.

Special teams turnovers are killers.  The other teams scores, they get some momentum, and you immediately give them another 7 free points and a huge surge.  It can't be allowed to happen.

He sits on the bench.  If you want to send a message to the team, he sits on some one else's bench.

Just now, chirorob said:

Special teams turnovers are killers.  The other teams scores, they get some momentum, and you immediately give them another 7 free points and a huge surge.  It can't be allowed to happen.

He sits on the bench.  If you want to send a message to the team, he sits on some one else's bench.

The margins are so tight in NFL games that giving the other team points usually always ends up in a loss (assuming they don't give some back to you).  I doubt Bowles runs him out there next week.

How about the fact that we didn't create any impactful turnovers ourselves? I mean, yeah, the guy fumbled for six points. but compare that to the starting QB, who threw several INTs which kept points off the board as well as leading to six points directly? Yeah, that fumble was killer. But so was Bilal Powell's. All in all, I think people are focusing on the rookie's fumble because they are upset with the team's overall lackluster play and coaching. Don't make Marshall the scapegoat.

Just now, phill1c said:

How about the fact that we didn't create any impactful turnovers ourselves? I mean, yeah, the guy fumbled for six points. but compare that to the starting QB, who threw several INTs which kept points off the board as well as leading to six points directly? Yeah, that fumble was killer. But so was Bilal Powell's. All in all, I think people are focusing on the rookie's fumble because they are upset with the team's overall lackluster play and coaching. Don't make Marshall the scapegoat.

Powell's might not have been a fumble to begin with

After two fumbles being returned for touchdowns in back to back games? If it wasn't a physical AND a mental issue last week, it is now. That's just what I believe... we'll never know.

Either way, I think he's worth coaching up before outright cutting him, which was more my point.

Archived