Rex Ryan + Eric Mangini = Todd Bowles

Ghost

Am I the only one who feels like Bowles is a mixture of both? He has no idea about time management, nor does he know how to utilize timeouts properly, his lack of in-game adjustments are awful but he also coaches scared.

He's so conservative and needs to take more risks. Sending the punting crew out yesterday in the middle of the 4th QTR was horrible. 

I simply cant with this guy anymore. 

I'm not entirely off the Bowles train yet, but he explicitly chose Fitzpatrick, he asked for Skrine, he wanted Marcus Gilchrist, and he wanted Antonio Cromartie last year. What's depressing about this year is that we're in a situation where both the coach and GM are being exposed at the same time, so there's nowhere to turn when looking for a light at the end of the tunnel. We knew Rex was clearly a moron, and that's what the issue with the team was when he was here, but it was so flagrant and obvious that there was a comfort in knowing the root of the disease. With Bowles and Macc, we're left to determine which one, or both, that are irredeemable. 

12 minutes ago, Ghost said:

Am I the only one who feels like Bowles is a mixture of both? He has no idea about time management, nor does he know how to utilize timeouts properly, his lack of in-game adjustments are awful but he also coaches scared.

He's so conservative and needs to take more risks. Sending the punting crew out yesterday in the middle of the 4th QTR was horrible. 

The fear is that he's Herm Edwards doing a Bill Belichick impression.

There's absolutely nothing wrong with Todd Bowles that a decent QB wouldn't fix .  Who was Bill Belicheck in Cleveland  ?  Who was Dan Quinn early last year and at the end of the season in 2015 ? Who is Dan Quinn this year with his team winning again ? I get it, you have to blame somebody and with the mistakes you believe are being made, Bowles is as good as anyone .

This team is not a bad team. It has some bad players, but it could win if it had a decent QB . Our only hope is to find a QB, even if we have to lose and lose badly while finding one .

1 minute ago, Tinstar said:

There's absolutely nothing wrong with Todd Bowles that a decent QB wouldn't fix .  Who was Bill Belicheck in Cleveland  ?  Who was Dan Quinn early last year and at the end of the season in 2015 ? Who is Dan Quinn this year with his team winning again ? I get it, you have to blame somebody and with the mistakes you believe are being made, Bowles is as good as anyone .

This team is not a bad team. It has some bad players, but it could win if it had a decent QB . Our only hope is to find a QB, even if we have to lose and lose badly while finding one .

Todd Bowles is a MORON  he has no clue about anything sorry there is no fix for him but being fired. Next man up. 

1 minute ago, joewilly12 said:

Todd Bowles is a MORON  he has no clue about anything sorry there is no fix for him but being fired. Next man up. 

Were you one of the people hating on Dan Quinn once his Falcons started losing last year ?  You are way to inconsistent to ever be taken seriously .  

Just now, Tinstar said:

Were you one of the people hating on Dan Quinn once his Falcons started losing last year ?  You are way to inconsistent to ever be taken seriously .  

No I actually wanted Dan Quinn here and why would I care or comment on the Falcons I don't give a damn what the Falcons do or don't do. 

So NO it wasn't me. 

5 minutes ago, Tinstar said:

Tin, you and I agree often.  I am certainly in agreement that it is very difficult to be successful as an NFL HC without a legit QB. 

But Bowles is over his head.  That much is clear to me.

3 hours ago, T0mShane said:

I'm not entirely off the Bowles train yet, but he explicitly chose Fitzpatrick, he asked for Skrine, he wanted Marcus Gilchrist, and he wanted Antonio Cromartie last year. What's depressing about this year is that we're in a situation where both the coach and GM are being exposed at the same time, so there's nowhere to turn when looking for a light at the end of the tunnel. We knew Rex was clearly a moron, and that's what the issue with the team was when he was here, but it was so flagrant and obvious that there was a comfort in knowing the root of the disease. With Bowles and Macc, we're left to determine which one, or both, that are irredeemable. 

Wrong. Mac should not even be in this conversation. He was left with a bare cupboard of former draftees by the dumb as$es in control since 2008. Bowles warts are being exposed and would have been eventually anyway. He is yet another in a long line of first time HC's hired by the Jets who are in over their head. Mac did not hire Bowles and I hope he has a successor in mind because one will be needed soon. Also, Gailey and Rodgers are not doing Bowles any favors either with Gailey neglecting the run game and Rodgers unable to generate a pass rush or get the secondary to cover anyone. Blaming Mac is wrong. The only mistake I saw was not taking Paxton Lynch in round one. We could do without Darron Lee, but a potential franchise QB should not have been passed up. Hackenberg? Another project for a team that is kind of long in the tooth so a project is not what the Jets needed.

9 minutes ago, Tinstar said:

This team is not a bad team. It has some bad players, but it could win if it had a decent QB

Fitz didn't cost us the game with Pittsburgh. He had solid numbers, but Roethlisberger looked like Tom Brady on steroids against this pathetic defense that can't cover anyone deep. Bowles punting on fourth down trailing by 24-13 is inexcusable and the fact he said he would do it again clearly shows he has no media savvy or else he is just stupid enough to do it the same way again. Fitz is a decent QB, but with Gailey calling the plays he is doomed to have to try and carry the load by himself despite having a solid RB in Forte, who Gailey doesn't use.

2 hours ago, johnnysd said:

All of the Woody coaches have been decent DCs that are ultra conservative lousy defensive minded coaches. Until Woody hires someone with a different philosophy the cycle will continue. 

I hate that the Jets seem to have a "tradition" of hiring coordinators and making them first time HC's. How many have worked out? Very few. Walt Michaels was a first time HC and he drafted a powerful team that lost an AFCCG in the mud and was fired. Bad move. Joe Walton, OC another first time HC and how did that work out? Bruce Coslet, OC and another first timer. Again, how did that work out? Pete Carroll was run out of town in NY and New England before operating a professional squad at USC and then Seattle. He is the only one who worked out and it took him three tires to get it right. Maccgnan's next hire better be an experienced former HC or it will be more of the same on the job training....and failing.

12 minutes ago, Ex-Rex said:

Wrong. Mac should not even be in this conversation. He was left with a bare cupboard of former draftees by the dumb as$es in control since 2008. Bowles warts are being exposed and would have been eventually anyway. He is yet another in a long line of first time HC's hired by the Jets who are in over their head. Mac did not hire Bowles and I hope he has a successor in mind because one will be needed soon. Also, Gailey and Rodgers are not doing Bowles any favors either with Gailey neglecting the run game and Rodgers unable to generate a pass rush or get the secondary to cover anyone. Blaming Mac is wrong. The only mistake I saw was not taking Paxton Lynch in round one. We could do without Darron Lee, but a potential franchise QB should not have been passed up. Hackenberg? Another project for a team that is kind of long in the tooth so a project is not what the Jets needed.

I'm going to make a statement and you rebut it.

Other than Leonard Williams, Macc's only good draft pick is Lachlan Edwards, the punter.

28 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

Other than Leonard Williams, Macc's only good draft pick is Lachlan Edwards, the punter.

Lee is going to be a good player.  He already is

My problems with the drafts were Smith over Funchess and DGB and Hackenburg over Cardale

4 hours ago, Ghost said:

he's the worst of both

2 hours ago, johnnysd said:

All of the Woody coaches have been decent DCs that are ultra conservative lousy defensive minded coaches. Until Woody hires someone with a different philosophy the cycle will continue. 

ultra conservative comes when you have bottom 5 QB play in the league.  That's what the Jets have had under all of them - it's very hard to be an aggressive offensive coach under that circumstance.

We need to find a QB

4 hours ago, Ghost said:

Would you call him an unhappy medium between the two?

1 hour ago, Ex-Rex said:

I hate that the Jets seem to have a "tradition" of hiring coordinators and making them first time HC's. How many have worked out? Very few. Walt Michaels was a first time HC and he drafted a powerful team that lost an AFCCG in the mud and was fired. Bad move. Joe Walton, OC another first time HC and how did that work out? Bruce Coslet, OC and another first timer. Again, how did that work out? Pete Carroll was run out of town in NY and New England before operating a professional squad at USC and then Seattle. He is the only one who worked out and it took him three tires to get it right. Maccgnan's next hire better be an experienced former HC or it will be more of the same on the job training....and failing.

That sounds to me like a good argument for a guy who has a chip on his shoulder named Les Miles. 

ultra conservative comes when you have bottom 5 QB play in the league.  That's what the Jets have had under all of them - it's very hard to be an aggressive offensive coach under that circumstance.
We need to find a QB

No argument there, which I'd why it was idiotic to play Fitz last year and even more so this year. I would fire Bowles and release Fitz today, and consider trading Sheldon

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

1 hour ago, Ex-Rex said:

Woody wont shell out the $ for a coach. 

Bowles is an interesting guy. I do believe he's strong from an X's and O's standpoint. I like that he's even keeled in front of the media. Thought he did a good job with personalities last season. I really liked what I thought was the offensive philosophy of a physical running game paired with a spread offense last year.

The wheels are kind of coming off this year and it's been ugly. The defensive line's motivation is a major issue. Communication in the secondary is awful. Maybe it's the DL and secondary coaches or the DC - but if that's the case Bowles hired those guys. Can be fixed but not sure it will be. That offensive philosophy I thought I liked is gone - either it was a lucky coincidence last year or a huge miss this offseason from a personnel standpoint (which would be on Maccagnan IMO).

My two biggest issues are his reluctance to embrace any level of competition and most importantly in game decisions. That challenge yesterday was atrocious. Not going for it on fourth down. I'm not sure that will be fixed.

Also I know the Kotite years were horrific, but this is the 20th consecutive year of the Jets having a head coach with a defensive background. Personalities have been different but I think the philosophy is more or less the same and that tends to make things stale - but you still have the issues of changing offensive and defensive schemes. Even if it's just a temporary thing I think they should switch stuff up a bit and get an offensive guy in here at some point.

2 minutes ago, drdetroit said:

Bowles can't make adjustments in game.  He's like the Brian Schottenheimer of defensive playcallers

Just now, drdetroit said:

I'll take him over Bowles in a heartbeat

Les Miles might be the worst in game adjustment coach, ever.  That said, he's got monster balls and will go for it and fake kicks like its going out of style.  And I like that about him.

However, I think he'd be a disaster in the NFL. 

1 hour ago, derp said:

My two biggest issues are his reluctance to embrace any level of competition and most importantly in game decisions. That challenge yesterday was atrocious. Not going for it on fourth down. I'm not sure that will be fixed

I'm totally with you on these two deficiencies.

• 41 seconds to go before halftime and you just run into the OL when you had a TO left?!
  • 4th and 2 (not 4th and 12) from near midfield and you punt with 7:00 minutes in the 4th quarter and down by two scores??!

I'm not at all understanding what he was thinking here. If you have so little confidence in your offense not to try and get a FG (the most you could reasonably expect out of the Fitz-led offense), why is the QB not even being considered for change? Same with the 4th quarter punt: you don't think your offense can get TWO FRICKING YARDS?!!

Mind-boggling...and thanks for reminding me of that insanity.

3 hours ago, T0mShane said:

It looks like one or more of the young wideouts might turn into something, but otherwise this is irrefutable.

Archived