No upside to starting Fitz. None

JohnnyLV

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, JetsFanatic said:

Fitz should start because he gives us the best chance to win.  A win today is very important it make us 4-3 in to conference and 2-0 in the division.  I'm not a quitter!

+1

We have too many folks who, if we go 0-1, start right off with the Eyore'ing and "Lets lose out for Draft Picks" sillyness.

Win today, we're still alive, so best QB plays.  That's still Fitz for now.  Petty's time will come, and we'll all be happy to see it when it does (we hope).

When the season is still alive, that time is not now.  We lose, drop to 3-6, maybe we talk.  A chance at 4-5, 2-0 in Division, a win vs. the hated Fins, and a season that could still matter?  Hell yeah, lets do that.

Just one more thing about this. And we could put this to rest after 4 pm today if we suck another egg. But it's a year with a lot of inconsistency not just from the Jets but a lot of other teams. Very few have been that good. One weak they blow a team out and the next week they get killed. So it's possible you can make the playoffs this year with a 9 win season maybe. Last season under Fitz we did win five in a row. But we do have two more games with NEP and it doesn't look like we are capable of beating them right now. But we'll see. So instead of rebuilding right now let's go for it at least today. But tomorrow we could be out of it. 

11 minutes ago, Warfish said:

+1

We have too many folks who, if we go 0-1, start right off with the Eyore'ing and "Lets lose out for Draft Picks" sillyness.

Win today, we're still alive, so best QB plays.  That's still Fitz for now.  Petty's time will come, and we'll all be happy to see it when it does (we hope).

When the season is still alive, that time is not now.  We lose, drop to 3-6, maybe we talk.  A chance at 4-5, 2-0 in Division, a win vs. the hated Fins, and a season that could still matter?  Hell yeah, lets do that.

I think tonight's game is make or break. Lose and we've got 6 losses already, still with 4 division games (2 vs. Patsies) to go. Pretty much zero room left for another loss. And I don't see us sweeping NE this year.

With the way the rest of the AFC is going, 9-7 isn't going to get you anywhere. Entirely possible another 10-6 teams misses out this year.

1 hour ago, jamesr said:

Were the 1-5 Chiefs out of it last year?

And, even if we WERE out of it, no way do I want my team to lie down for the stinkin' Phish!!!

IMO starting Fitz isn't best for the team, Petty is equally as bad at his worst.  And maybe just maybe he is better, can't find out without putting him in.

3 minutes ago, Lupz27 said:

IMO starting Fitz isn't best for the team, Petty is equally as bad at his worst.  And maybe just maybe he is better, can't find out without putting him in.

The next starting point for Petty realistically will be Monday Night against the Colts. 

Could be the Rams if Fitz sh*ts the bed in this game. 

If he plays well and the Jets lose anyway, I would start Fitz against the Rams and Pats. Starting a rookie against NE is not a good idea.

25 minutes ago, Warfish said:

+1

The season is dead.  I suggest you take a long look at the mathematical odds you are hanging your hat on.  Maybe that will put things back in perspective, because clearly you have forgotten how awful this Jets team after they beat half the Ravens roster and the winless Browns.

http://www.footballoutsiders.com/stats/playoffodds

1 hour ago, UnitedWhofans said:

In the long term you are correct. However, the Jets are still alive for the playoffs. Until that is gone, there is no reason to start the young QBs, unless of course, Fitzpatrick sh*ts the bed again. 

The coach's job is to win football games. Right now, that takes precedence over the future

I dont really agree with this here. I understand what you're saying, but FItz is having arguably the worst season of his career. He's on pace to match his lowest TD output as a fulltime starter (14 TD's in 2013 ), his highest INT output of his career (23 in 2011) and he's currently putting together his lowest QB rating for a season in his career. 

This isnt about being alive for the playoffs because Ryan Fitzpatrick has never been to the playoffs, this is about finding out what we have in either Petty or Hack so we can figure out what direction we're going with this probable top 10 pick we'll have next draft. 

Were 3-5 right now, and though it isnt impossible to run the table, the probability of this happening is closer to impossible than it is probable. We would not only have to sweep the rest of these games just to make it to 11 wins, but we would have to sweep our entire division where we still have 5 games left to play which includes playing the Pats twice. And the reason why we must sweep is because its looking like the AFC west will be the division that will provide possibly 3 teams to the playoffs, which is the division leader (Texans) along with Denver (6-2) and Kansas City (5-2)....and we lost to KC this season. 

The Jets will have to more than likely sweep the rest of the season because it's going to take 11 wins for this to be possible unless these other teams suddenly all go on losing streaks...in which we still have to win atleast 10 of our games. To win 10 of our games the Jets will have to go 7-1 the rest of the way. 

We both know that's not happening. So imo, instead of wasting time talking about Fitz and playoffs....as if he's ever been there, I would be preparing Petty for the job because remember, Fitz is only playing because Geno was injured. The dude was benched. 

I'd like to see what Petty has learned in a year and a half or if Hackenberg was worth the 2nd round draft pick. 

3 minutes ago, RoadFan said:

The season is dead.  I suggest you take a long look at the mathematical odds you are hanging your hat on.  Maybe that will put things back in perspective, because clearly you have forgotten how awful this Jets team after they beat half the Ravens roster and the winless Browns.

http://www.footballoutsiders.com/stats/playoffodds

Not in the least, I know we're bad.  Hopefully less bad that the hapless and hated Phins.

But NFL teams do not abandon trying to win until after they're out of the running.

So prattle on if it makes you feel better, I just don't see the point.  Fitz WILL start because Geno was like an egg back there and lasted one series before his year was over, and Petty either is still hurt, or just hasn't shown the staff enough to make them play him when games still count.  

When the time comes, and we're out of it, Petty will almost assuredly get to play.  No point whining about it, because no amount of whining will change how NFL teams are run.  Backup developmental QB's don;t get to start until the team is out, or the #1 gets hurt.  And unlike some of our "fans" I won't root for our #1 to get hurt.

All thread like this amount to are de facto "Meh, boo, why is water wet, dammit water should be dry, why isn't water dry!!!!!" whinefests.  We all should know better, yet here we are, mid whinefest.

Just now, Villain The Foe said:

I dont really agree with this here. I understand what you're saying, but FItz is having arguably the worst season of his career. He's on pace to match his lowest TD output in 16 games (14 TD's in 2013 where he played just 11 games), his highest INT output of his career (23 in 2011) and he's currently putting together his lowest QB rating for a season in his career. 

This isnt about being alive for the playoffs because Ryan Fitzpatrick has never been to the playoffs, this is about finding out what we have in either Petty or Hack so we can figure out what direction we're going with this probable top 10 pick we'll have next draft. 

Were 3-5 right now, and though it isnt impossible to run the table, the probability of this happening is closer to impossible than it is probable. We would not only have to sweep the rest of these games just to make it to 11 wins, but we would have to sweep our entire division where we still have 5 games left to play which includes playing the Pats twice. And the reason why we must sweep is because its looking like the AFC west will be the division that will provide possibly 3 teams to the playoffs, which is the division leader (Texans) along with Denver and Kansas City both at 5-2....and we lost to KC this season. 

The Jets will have to more than likely sweep the rest of the season because it's going to take 11 wins for this to be possible unless these other teams suddenly all go on losing streaks...in which we still have to win atleast 10 of our games. To win 10 of our games the Jets will have to go 7-1 the rest of the way. 

We both know that's not happening. So imo, instead of wasting time talking about Fitz and playoffs....as if he's ever been there, I would be preparing Petty for the job because remember, Fitz is only playing because Geno was injured. The dude was benched. 

And if he had sucked against the Ravens or Browns he would have been benched again. 

I dont think they are going to make it either. But good organizations don't pull the plug this early. The Chiefs are a solid organization and they didn't pull the plug at 1-5. The fact that they made it is immaterial, they did not evacuate.

As I said, the earliest we might see Petty is either next week or Monday night against the Colts. I don't want him starting his first game on Sunday Night Football against the Patriots. That spells disaster. Either have him with one start under his belt or delay him starting.

It will be interesting to see if the Jets lose today but Fitzpatrick plays well. That will create a question. If he sucks, the decision becomes much easier.

2 hours ago, Ohio State NY Jets fan said:

Sad but very true, especially since two 9-7 teams have won a Super Bowl, they have to keep the veterans interested before they start offseason planning, Fitz could make it past the bye, unless he gets crushed in Miami

the Rams, Colts and 49ers (latest) would be good match ups for Petty's first start

Good post.  IF we lose today I hope we get crushed and it's mostly on Sixpatrick.  The FO needs to see that this QB is not even a place holder.  Hence we can begin the Petty/Hack era now.

I'm a loyal fan and so I'm rooting for a win and a well played game from us.  The above is just the next best scenario.     

Just now, LIJetsFan said:

Good post.  IF we lose today I hope we get crushed and it's mostly on Sixpatrick.  The FO needs to see that this QB is not even a place holder.  Hence we can begin the Petty/Hack era now.

I'm a loyal fan and so I'm rooting for a win and a well played game from us.  The above is just the next best scenario.     

If they lose but he plays well, then it becomes an issue.

7 minutes ago, UnitedWhofans said:

And if he had sucked against the Ravens or Browns he would have been benched again. 

I dont think they are going to make it either. But good organizations don't pull the plug this early. The Chiefs are a solid organization and they didn't pull the plug at 1-5. The fact that they made it is immaterial, they did not evacuate.

As I said, the earliest we might see Petty is either next week or Monday night against the Colts. I don't want him starting his first game on Sunday Night Football against the Patriots. That spells disaster. Either have him with one start under his belt or delay him starting.

It will be interesting to see if the Jets lose today but Fitzpatrick plays well. That will create a question. If he sucks, the decision becomes much easier.

Pulling your QB who's having the worst season of his career as a fulltime starter shouldnt be considered "blowing up your season". They just pulled him for Geno. And in that Ravens game Fitz started off 7 of 7 then completed just 1 pass after that, he had similar results in the Browns game, starting the game 3-14 to the point where at half the Browns were looking like they were going to run away with the game....an 0-7 team at the time! 

The Ravens and Browns are two of the worst teams in the league. If we're truly talking playoffs then we should put in another QB. FItz has had over a decade of trying to get to the playoffs to no avail. How many times must this guy do this? Rhetorical question of course. 

4 hours ago, johnnysd said:

In an offseason of dumb moves maybe the dumbest is starting Fitz again. There is no upside and it robs us of development and evaluation time for the QBs. Bowls and Mac are not impressing. They have made a lot of really bad moves and this is really bad.

I agree as a fan. But to Todd Bowles he is paid to WIN games period. If he thinks Fitz gives him "the best chance to win" then that is who will play until he bombs out. The only way Fitz doesn't start is if the Jets lose and he is the primary reason for the loss. It ain't rocket science. The HC (his agent) goes to the boss come contract time and the first things brought up is wins and losses. Especially if wins are greater than losses. That is the bottom line.

Just now, Ex-Rex said:

I agree as a fan. But to Todd Bowles he is paid to WIN games period. If he thinks Fitz gives him "the best chance to win" then that is who will play until he bombs out. The only way Fitz doesn't start is if the Jets lose and he is the primary reason for the loss. It ain't rocket science. The HC (his agent) goes to the boss come contract time and the first things brought up is wins and losses. Especially if wins are greater than losses. That is the bottom line.

That's basically it.

4 minutes ago, Villain The Foe said:

Pulling your QB who's having the worst season of his career as a fulltime starter shouldnt be considered "blowing up your season". They just pulled him for Geno. And in that Ravens game Fitz started off 7 of 7 then completed just 1 pass after that, he had similar results in the Browns game, starting the game 3-14 to the point where at half the Browns were looking like they were going to run away with the game....an 0-7 team at the time! 

The Ravens and Browns are two of the worst teams in the league. If we're truly talking playoffs then we should put in another QB. FItz has have over a decade of trying to get to the playoffs with no avail. How many times must this guy do this? Rhetorical question of course. 

Fitz was almost pulled at the beginning at the second half last week. But the offense started to roll. To me, it seems that he plays best when he is not expected to do much or his job is at stake

As for the Ravens (because arguing the Browns are not one of the worst teams is dumb), they have the same record as Miami.

1 minute ago, GSD4ME said:

I didn't read all three pages but I agree that Fitz is not the future. Once we have 7 losses I will be fully on the bench Fitz bandwagon even if he starts playing lights out. We need to developing our young players. 

I think that at seven losses Bowles would still think the season is salvageable. Of course it depends on whether the team is 2-7 or 6-7. If 2-7 it would be dumb of him to not want to see if Petty is a guy the team can move forward with or not.

1 hour ago, SickJetFan said:

Jets will win Superbowl this year...book it!

I had a dream last night

I also dreamed Britney Spears  came back to my room and she was into handcuffs ,  whips, and butt plugs

So there's that.

Sick Jet fan

1 minute ago, Ex-Rex said:

I think that at seven losses Bowles would still think the season is salvageable. Of course it depends on whether the team is 2-7 or 6-7. If 2-7 it would be dumb of him to not want to see if Petty is a guy the team can move forward with or not.

I don't know. I think 6 may be the max, depending on where it happens.

1 minute ago, Ex-Rex said:

Well, we can't really be 2-7 can we now?

4 minutes ago, Ex-Rex said:

3 minutes ago, UnitedWhofans said:

That's basically it.

But hasnt this already happened which is why he was benched to begin with BY Todd Bowles? 

Its not like these 2 wins Fitz was the primary reason behind it. It was Powell, Forte and Enunwa. 

2 minutes ago, Villain The Foe said:

But hasnt this already happened which is why he was benched to begin with BY Todd Bowles? 

Its not like these 2 wins Fitz was the primary reason behind it. It was Powell, Forte and Enunwa. 

But he did not lose us those games. ALmost did, but didn't.

And Fitz was benched because of pressure. Once Fitz came back, if he had lost either of those 2 games, he would go to the bench again

5 minutes ago, UnitedWhofans said:

But he did not lose us those games. ALmost did, but didn't.

But that wasnt the statement that you agreed with. Here it is again below. 

13 minutes ago, Ex-Rex said:

Fitz was the primary reason behind our 1-5 start. He wasnt the primary reason behind our 2-0 streak but was basically there for the ride. Gailey took the ball out of Fitz hands the 2nd half of that Cleveland game and Fitz almost threw 2 picks in that game, one that was dropped and the other snatched away by Enunwa for an incompletion. 

So sure, he "almost did" but didnt because of a drop and Enunwa....who was mentioned as one of the 3 guys responsible for our 2 wins. 

Bench this dude already! You dont wait for Fitz to blow your season if you're truly expecting to make a playoff push. 

1 minute ago, Villain The Foe said:

But that wasnt the statement that you agreed with. 

Fitz was the primary reason behind our 1-5 start. He wasnt the primary reason behind our 2-0 streak since but was basically there for the ride. Gailey took the ball out of Fitz hand the 2nd half of that Cleveland game and Fitz almost threw 2 picks in that game, one that was dropped and the other snatched away by Enunwa for an incompletion. 

So sure, he "almost did" but didnt because of a drop and Enunwa....who was mentioned as one of the 3 guys responsible for our 2 wins. 

Bench this dude! 

And as I said, Fitz didn't lose those games. If that INT had been caught, he would have been benched. But Fitz could have very easliy thrown an INT on any pass after that. But he didn't.

1 minute ago, UnitedWhofans said:

And as I said, Fitz didn't lose those games. If that INT had been caught, he would have been benched. But Fitz could have very easliy thrown an INT on any pass after that. But he didn't.

He threw interceptable passes that were dropped/broken up. Just because they were dropped/broken up doesnt mean that he didnt throw those passes. Are we to expect that to continue all the way to a playoff run? He's not playing well...thats the point here. 

Just now, Villain The Foe said:

He threw interceptable passes that were dropped/broken up. Just because they were dropped/broken up doesnt mean that he didnt throw those passes. Are we to expect that to continue all the way to a playoff run? He's not playing well...thats the point here. 

Well we will see if it continues today and if it forces Bowles hand once again

Archived