Bowles: I Don’t Know if Fitzpatrick Will Start on Sunday

JetNation

• Replies 136
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, drdetroit said:

Bowles still is operating under the illusion this team is going 10-6 and making the playoffs with Fitz

No, but it's his job to win as many games as he can and of our next 7 games there are 5 that are definitely winnable if Fitzpatrick plays exactly has he has the last 3 weeks.  Petty is a complete unknown.

You and I may not want to go 5-2 from here in, but our head coach certainly does.

SAR I

I know all the fans want to see what Petty can do but I think it's pretty obvious that the Jets don't think he's any good.  They may not have the QB situation figured out, but it seems pretty clear that Petty isn't part of the future.

Judging by the immense amount of tears, i highly doubt the Rams thought Kurt Warner was any good either. Point is you don't know until bullets are flying. Truth be told chances are both petty and Hack suck. So let's get em out there and get that resolved so we can look to the draft.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

10 minutes ago, Snell41 said:

Judging by the immense amount of tears, i highly doubt the Rams thought Kurt Warner was any good either. Point is you don't know until bullets are flying. Truth be told chances are both petty and Hack suck. So let's get em out there and get that resolved so we can look to the draft.

Sounds good on paper, but with 3 home games on national television and Bill Belichick's defense on the immediate horizon, this pushes the theory of trial-by-fire beyond its limits.

SAR I

19 minutes ago, Snell41 said:

That's the spirit! Better yet, just cut them both now, and play Fitz the rest of the way, because there is zero chance that either one is any good. 

5 hours ago, jamesr said:

I think the nagging concern will be, if Petty starts because they rule Fitz out, we're one bad hit away from putting Hack in front of the Rams D-line.

Best scenario would be Petty starting with Fitz backing him up, but they can't really play the injury card in that scenario - if he's OK to back up, he should in theory be OK to start.

But all i want is to see Petty play the full game Sunday. That'd make a much more watchable game than waiting for the inevitable late-game collapse under Fitz.

Don't underestimate Hack.

If Petty gets knocked out and Fitz is ruled out, that doesn't mean Hack is going to fold against the Rams. He may not get the win. he may throw a pick or two, be should be exciting to see him out there. He's a smart QB and he can sling it.  

According to ESPN's Ed Werder, Ryan Fitzpatrick (MCL) expects to start Week 10 against the Rams.

Fitzpatrick sprained his left MCL in Sunday's loss to Miami but was able to play through it. He's planning to do the same in Week 10. Bryce Petty would draw the start if Fitzpatrick isn't cleared by Sunday, though it doesn't look like it will come to that. Already having a terrible season, this injury is only going to make things worse for Fitzpatrick. In a tough matchup against Los Angeles, fantasy owners shouldn't go anywhere near Fitzpatrick this week.

3 hours ago, drsamuel84 said:

Unfortunately the way the AFC is shaping up this year the Jets are one good week away from being back in the WC hunt which could delay playing Petty or Hack.  Unlike last year where the Jets didn't get in at 10-6 I'm thinking 9-7 could win a Wild Card spot.  I'm not saying the Jets will be a serious threat but the FO and CS maybe able to use that excuse for longer than we originally anticipated.

Not sure although you are right over a couple weeks many things can happen.  But AFCW is sending at least 1 WC team if not 2.  If they don't send 2, Pitts/Balt are taking the other WC.  I don't see us having any chance in hell being in the playoff picture at this point.  We are 3.5 games behind already.

1 minute ago, jbt said:

According to ESPN's Ed Werder, Ryan Fitzpatrick (MCL) expects to start Week 10 against the Rams.

Fitzpatrick sprained his left MCL in Sunday's loss to Miami but was able to play through it. He's planning to do the same in Week 10. Bryce Petty would draw the start if Fitzpatrick isn't cleared by Sunday, though it doesn't look like it will come to that. Already having a terrible season, this injury is only going to make things worse for Fitzpatrick. In a tough matchup against Los Angeles, fantasy owners shouldn't go anywhere near Fitzpatrick this week.

Thanks for the fantasy football advice anyone in the right mind hasnt gone near Ryan Fitzpatrick as their QB in 12 years his entire career.

1 minute ago, JETSfaninNE said:

Not sure although you are right over a couple weeks many things can happen.  But AFCW is sending at least 1 WC team if not 2.  If they don't send 2, Pitts/Balt are taking the other WC.  I don't see us having any chance in hell being in the playoff picture at this point.  We are 3.5 games behind already.

Playoffs? 

2 hours ago, FidelioJet said:

I know all the fans want to see what Petty can do but I think it's pretty obvious that the Jets don't think he's any good.  They may not have the QB situation figured out, but it seems pretty clear that Petty isn't part of the future.

What makes you say that? 

I mean, they drafted him, they kept him on the team last year, they kept him on the team this year- even though it meant carrying 4 QBs, he obviously looked good in pre-season, he was obviously a system QB coming into the NFL, so no surprise that they did not start him right away.

He was still coming off a shoulder injury as Fitz was playing awful and Geno got hurt. So I'm not surprised Bowles wasn't exactly giddy to put him in. Bowles is an old scholl coach that has shown he will start veterans despite their sub-par play on the field.  So I'm just wondering, why do you think its so OBVIOUS the Jets don't believe he is any good?    

3 hours ago, drsamuel84 said:

Unfortunately the way the AFC is shaping up this year the Jets are one good week away from being back in the WC hunt which could delay playing Petty or Hack.  Unlike last year where the Jets didn't get in at 10-6 I'm thinking 9-7 could win a Wild Card spot.  I'm not saying the Jets will be a serious threat but the FO and CS maybe able to use that excuse for longer than we originally anticipated.

I mean, you're right but that means the Jets can only lose one more game the rest of the way. So, no, the final nail has not been hammered in the coffin. But the hole is dug and funeral is over. Before the loss to the Dolphins, I felt the Jets still had a shot. They could lose both Pats games and still get in. They could split with the Pats and have the luxury of losing another game and still get in. But at this point, to split with the pats and win every other game is HIGHLY unlikely. And yes, I get that the CS does not believe this. But there is o way the Jets only lose one the rest of the way. Heck, this Rams game could be that final nail in the coffin that ends the season.   

Sounds good on paper, but with 3 home games on national television and Bill Belichick's defense on the immediate horizon, this pushes the theory of trial-by-fire beyond its limits.
SAR I

You keep saying this...go on every forum and social media platform and you see clearly the fans OVERWHELMINGLY want to see what Petty can do. You want surefire empty stadiums and low viewership, keep trotting Fitz out there.

5 minutes ago, Snell41 said:

You keep saying this...go on every forum and social media platform and you see clearly the fans OVERWHELMINGLY want to see what Petty can do. You want surefire empty stadiums and low viewership, keep trotting Fitz out there.

No, they don't.

People who go on social media to complain don't go on social media to compliment.  Go to an iPhone forum, you'd swear it was the worst product ever made, page after page of people complaining about how it disappoints them.  The 30 regular posters here are in the minority, a vast minority.

As for Petty, I want to see what he can do as well, but I don't want it to be in the worst circumstances possible with night games on national TV and a Bellichick defense waiting for him.

This season didn't set up well for a young quarterback getting his first start.  The early 6 games were too challenging for a youngster, the last 7 games are right in Fitzpatrick's wheelhouse.  Then you have the added complication of the fractured locker room, the head coach has to prove he can keep the team together.  Petty probably doesn't see the field this year.

SAR I

2 minutes ago, Joe W. Namath said:

Fitz said today he feels fine and will be able to go Sunday.  Now its solely on bowles to make the switch.

Let met ask you this:

It's Week 17, Bills are in our stadium, a win and they're in the playoffs, a loss and they're eliminated.

You want Ryan Fitzpatrick in there with a 75% chance of winning or Bryce Petty in there with a 0% chance of winning?  You want a good "learning experience" for our young quarterback or you want to kick Rex's ass back to Buffalo as payback for last season?

That's what we're talking about here.  So let's have it.  What do you want to do?

SAR I

2 minutes ago, SAR I said:

No, they don't.

People who go on social media to complain don't go on social media to compliment.  Go to an iPhone forum, you'd swear it was the worst product ever made, page after page of people complaining about how it disappoints them.  The 30 regular posters here are in the minority, a vast minority.

As for Petty, I want to see what he can do as well, but I don't want it to be in the worst circumstances possible with night games on national TV and a Bellichick defense waiting for him.

This season didn't set up well for a young quarterback getting his first start.  The early 6 games were too challenging for a youngster, the last 7 games are right in Fitzpatrick's wheelhouse.  Then you have the added complication of the fractured locker room, the head coach has to prove he can keep the team together.  Petty probably doesn't see the field this year.

SAR I

I think Petty starts against SF. If Fitz is healthy he plays this week and the Pats game. Jets win this week, then lose to the Pats. At 4-7 the white flag is waived and they start the process of evaluation.

2 minutes ago, NYJ37/12 said:

I think Petty starts against SF. If Fitz is healthy he plays this week and the Pats game. Jets win this week, then lose to the Pats. At 4-7 the white flag is waived and they start the process of evaluation.

See post above.  Week 17.  Do you want to eliminate the Bills from the playoffs or watch them celebrate on our home field?

Because that's what all this theorizing about Bryce Petty's debut boils down to.  You want to let our newb go 1-6 and get a terrific learning experience or do you want to go 5-2 or 4-3 and send Rex packing?

SAR I

7 hours ago, Long Island Leprechaun said:

Start Petty. It's really a no-brainer. The Jets need to start figuring out their future at QB and if Petty isn't prepared at this point, he's not going to be. I'd hold up on Hack if at all possible and give him the year to learn the system.  Fitz is done.

And he can spare Fitzpatrick possible embarrassment/humiliation by pointing to the injury.  Lots of reasons to do it now.

I think when he says this it means that Fitz isn't starting. I don't really care. What I don't like about Fitz this year are the stupid careless throws in the red zone which have turned games around. Taking away points and shooting ourselves in the foot. To me this is inexcusable. Esp throwing up a lollipop in the end zone like he did on Sunday. You have to ask: what is this guy doing. Even with these brutal errors on Sunday we should have won the game. So you'd hope that Petty even though inexperienced will know enough to not make those kinds of throws, either throw balls away and take the 3 or find another open receiver and we had one Q on that play vs Miami. I don't think the Qb has to be the end all be all. And you can win without a great Qb but you need someone who can make basic plays and not turn the ball over. I'm kind of tired of Fitz's act too. And I like(d) the guy. 

Just now, SAR I said:

See post above.  Week 17.  Dou want to eliminate the Bills from the playoffs or watch them celebrate on our home field?

SAR I

To add to my post I forgot the Colts game. Jets 4-8 then they start Petty.

To answer your post, Of course my choice is to win, but what does winning with Fitz at that point do for the team moving forward? I would choose to win with one of the younger qb's that will be here next year.

8 minutes ago, SAR I said:

Let met ask you this:

It's Week 17, Bills are in our stadium, a win and they're in the playoffs, a loss and they're eliminated.

You want Ryan Fitzpatrick in there with a 75% chance of winning or Bryce Petty in there with a 0% chance of winning?  You want a good "learning experience" for our young quarterback or you want to kick Rex's ass back to Buffalo as payback for last season?

That's what we're talking about here.  So let's have it.  What do you want to do?

SAR I

2 things.  

First off, you dont make decisions about the future of your organization based on another teams situation.  Elimination or not, you do what's best for the Jets. Not what hurts the Bills.  

Secondly, Fitz doesnt beat playoff caliber teams.  His record is abysmal over 12 years.  Where are you getting 75% from?  He's lifetime hovering around 3%. 

And just a final point, you cant play the position worse than Ryan Fitzpatrick is...so I'm not sure why you're convinced Petty isnt an improvement?  If it's because Todd Bowles says so, I got news for you...he's a clueless moron.  

8 minutes ago, SAR I said:

Let met ask you this:

SAR I

this is irrelevant.  the jets should be doing what's best for their own organization going forward.  the jets should not make personnel decisions based on who will or will not make the playoffs or who the opposing coach is.  the jets need to improve, period, there should be a singular focus.

1 minute ago, JiF said:

2 things.  

First off, you dont make decisions about the future of your organization based on another teams situation.  Elimination or not, you do what's best for the Jets. Not what hurts the Bills.  

Secondly, Fitz doesnt beat playoff caliber teams.  His record is abysmal over 12 years.  Where are you getting 75% from?  He's lifetime hovering around 3%. 

And just a final point, you cant play the position worse than Ryan Fitzpatrick is...so I'm not sure why you're convinced Petty isnt an improvement?  If it's because Todd Bowles says so, I got news for you...he's a clueless moron.  

Just now, Augustiniak said:

this is irrelevant.  the jets should be doing what's best for their own organization going forward.  the jets should not make personnel decisions based on who will or will not make the playoffs or who the opposing coach is.  the jets need to improve, period, there should be a singular focus.

Great posts guys this is exact on the situation no way in hell anyone see should it differently what hell are fans in a Todd Bowles trance or what.

17 minutes ago, Joe W. Namath said:

Fitz said today he feels fine and will be able to go Sunday.  Now its solely on bowles to make the switch.

Well that's good.  At least it forces him to make a decision.  Maybe one of these weeks his balls will drop.

4 hours ago, HighPitch said:

Season is over.  This is now a golden opportunity to start petty and evaluate. 

Everyone with half a brain knows this except our coach.  Everyone. 

If i were  coach id be totally giving petty all the reps and scheming for long strikes with our speedy young receivers. 

But thats just me a dumb ass fan what do i know 

Actually everyone with half a brain knows that Petty should start today, if he's ready to play, ready to show what he can do.  Not time to put him in just brcause fans on a message board are pissed and want change without thought of consequence 

Archived