Blame Woody's Organizational Structure

JetsFanatic

17 minutes ago, Warfish said:

I'm sorry my old friend, as we usually agree, but I simply cannot agree that we got a proper evaluation of Petty with that abortion of a game plan two weeks ago.

I, for one, am tired of this organization keeping QB's they don;t like or want.  If Petty sucks, he should have been dumped and a QB brought in they liked and would be willing to play if circumstances led to that.  Why the hell carry a player you refuse to play?

Petty had a chance though. they took the training wheels off at the end of the Rams game and asked him to lead a game winning drive. Or even a game tying drive. Instead he threw a pick. That's why they had the training wheels on the whole time. It wasn't the CS holding him back, turns out they were protecting him. 

It's not like the Jets keep players they don't want, it's that they take multi-year projects outside of rd 1 and then the fans are surprised when they aren't ready in year one or two. Petty needs time. Hack needs time. Geno and Sanchez probably could have used time too. Just cause Dak is on fire doesn't mean rookies are either ready right away or suck. There's a middle ground. 

and by the way there is a negative for playing Petty if he loses all his games, they go 3-13, and Bowles gets fired.

put yourself in Bowles' shoes, why would Bowles play a player who gets him closer to being fired?

If the Jets want Bowles to turn these into preseason games they should extend his contract. Bowles getting fired while he is "trying out" players that he knows aren't ready isn't really positive either. 

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply
13 minutes ago, bitonti said:

Petty had a chance though. they took the training wheels off at the end of the Rams game and asked him to lead a game winning drive. Or even a game tying drive. Instead he threw a pick. That's why they had the training wheels on the whole time. It wasn't the CS holding him back, turns out they were protecting him. 

I'm sorry, but shackles for 58 minutes and then "save us!" for 2 minutes is not protecting.  It's setting a player up to fail.

And one INT, in a first start, late, is not a disqualifier to me.  Not when the alternative if Fitz at 3-7.

It's not like the Jets keep players they don't want, it's that they take multi-year projects outside of rd 1 and then the fans are surprised when they aren't ready in year one or two. Petty needs time.

Too bad.  The Franchise needs him now, good or bad.  Learning on the Job is fine, as long as people don't write him off after his first INT....oh, wait.;)

Hack needs time.

We have no idea what Hack needs.  We know he's not a pro QB right now.  We don't know if he ever will be tbqh.

Geno and Sanchez probably could have used time too. Just cause Dak is on fire doesn't mean rookies are either ready right away or suck. There's a middle ground. 

Petty is in the 2nd half of his 2nd year in the NFL.  How long should we coddle?  Fourth year?  Fifth?

No.  He can play now, learn on the job now as needed.  All he has to do is show us potential and we'd keep him (or should).

and by the way there is a negative for playing Petty if he loses all his games, they go 3-13, and Bowles gets fired.

put yourself in Bowles' shoes, why would Bowles play a player who gets him closer to being fired?

Which is why Macc should have the power to overrule his lame duck coach on these types of issues.  Stunningly inept that our GM does not control our Head Coach.

If the Jets want Bowles to turn these into preseason games they should extend his contract. Bowles getting fired while he is "trying out" players that he knows aren't ready isn't really positive either. 

No, Bowles, like Petty and the players, is under evaluation as well.  He doesn;t have to win, he has to show potential.  He's not showing any, of judgement or coaching, thus far this year, and certainly not showing it be falling back on his failed veteran Fitz.

7 minutes ago, Warfish said:

No, Bowles, like Petty and the players, is under evaluation as well.  He doesn;t have to win, he has to show potential.  He's not showing any, of judgement or coaching, thus far this year, and certainly not showing it be falling back on his failed veteran Fitz.

You say Petty needs a chance and then he gets a chance and it's not his fault. Bullsh*t. He got his chance. Some 3rd Qbs never get any chances. 

The stage lights burn hot, Warfish. He wasn't ready for it and he's not any more ready this week against a tougher foe.

And yes Bowles does have to win. If he goes 3-13 he's getting fired. It's his job to win games not to find QB's. It's Mac's job to find the QB's.

if anything the Petty/Hack stuff reflects worse on Mac than it does on Bowles.  

and all of this is probably for naught as Woody decides the starting QB not Mac or Bowles. It's an "organizational decision" remember. 

17 minutes ago, bitonti said:

You say Petty needs a chance and then he gets a chance and it's not his fault. Bullsh*t. He got his chance. Some 3rd Qbs never get any chances.

A single game with a bad game plan is not a chance.  

The stage lights burn hot, Warfish. He wasn't ready for it and he's not any more ready this week against a tougher foe.

Facts not in evidence.  If anyone should be cut/fired for that game, it's our hapless O-Co.

And yes Bowles does have to win. If he goes 3-13 he's getting fired. It's his job to win games not to find QB's. It's Mac's job to find the QB's.

It's everyone's job to win titles or to build towards that goal.  Not to win meaningless late season trash time games in a lost season.

If Bowles is getting fired at 3-13 as you say, whelp, he's already getting fired then, because going 7-9 now, with the year over, is meaningless.  it doesn;t change the inherant failure that was this season.  4 late wins in trash time vs. weaker opponents doesn't impress me.

if anything the Petty/Hack stuff reflects worse on Mac than it does on Bowles.  

It would, if we had a fair view on either as yet, we don't.  It's funny to me the same guy who defended D-Rob for multiple years is willing to write off Petty after one game with a ultra-conservative gameplan.  Even I waited two full years before I wanted Geno cut.

and all of this is probably for naught as Woody decides the starting QB not Mac or Bowles. It's an "organizational decision" remember. 

So people say.  I've seen no evidence of that as yet.  But tin foil hats make for great forum threads.

It's clear people just argue for its sake.

There's no good argument for Fitzpatrick at this point in this already-lost season.

I take that back. Maybe there is:

"The New York Jets vs New England Patriots game which was flexed to Sunday at 4:30 has been flexed back into the primetime Sunday Night slot with Todd Bowles announcement that Ryan Fitzpatrick and not Bryce Petty would be the starter."

Maybe the league 'directed' the Jets to start Fitzpatrick...

19 hours ago, JetsFanatic said:

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/football/jets/jets-call-start-fitzpatrick-petty-indefensible-article-1.2882522?utm_content=buffercc56f&utm_medium=social&utm_source=twitter.com&utm_campaign=mmehta+twitter

Why Todd Bowles' decision to start Ryan Fitzpatrick over Bryce Petty is simply indefensible 

Ryan Fitzpatrick will start against the Patriots, but his Jets career will likely end after this season.

(Jason Miller/Getty Images)

There's an unmistakable scent of cluelessness in the air once again that should annoy, anger and outrage a frustrated fan base.

The Jets are up to their old tricks with an illogical move that should tick off anyone who has had to suffer through the agony of the past five decades.

I respect Todd Bowles' principles, work ethic and drive, but it's simply impossible to defend his decision to start Ryan Fitzpatrick against the Patriots this week even though the coach's call revealed the worst kept secret on One Jets Drive: Bryce Petty makes his bearded competitor look like Unitas in practice.

Bowles said that he didn't take the pulse of the locker room before benching the second-year signal caller in favor of Fitzpatrick. Truth be told, he didn't need to take a straw poll to know what everyone with the gift of eyesight already knew in the building: For all of Fitzpatrick's warts this year, Petty STILL can't touch him.

Jets will start Ryan Fitzpatrick against Patriots

The state of the Jets’ quarterback situation is an awful mess.

Bowles absolutely would have lost some measure of credibility in his locker room if he stuck with Petty no matter what he claimed publicly.

"Coaches coach and players play," Bowles said Monday upon making his announcement. "Our locker room is fine. We don't worry about that stuff. We support whoever is out there."

That isn't close to a true statement.

Jets' Ryan Fitzpatrick wants to keep job but won't start trouble

As the Daily News reported last week, some veterans would have quit on Bowles if he turned to an inferior quarterback with six games remaining even though the 3-7 Jets are out of the playoff picture. It put the second-year coach in a tenuous position that ultimately led him back to Fitzpatrick, who is miles better than Petty at this point.

The move reeked of desperation even if Bowles claimed that he's not concerned about his job security.

"He's been playing all year," Bowles said about Fitzpatrick. "He knows more of the system. We can do more things with him. He's been the starter. I don't give away jobs. You got to take a job."

Translation: He wasn't going to hand over the most important gig on the field to a player who simply isn't ready to give his team a viable chance to beat the Evil Empire.

Jets GM has 'no regrets' on bringing QB Ryan Fitzpatrick back

You need to wear your big-boy pants in this league, and the big-boy truth is that Petty, for all his promise, isn't ready right now. Although Bowles repeatedly proclaimed that Petty's "time will come," he stopped short of guaranteeing that the player's chance will come this season… or even with the Jets.

"I'm not a prophet," the coach said. "I don't know."

Bowles discussed his rationale with general manager Mike Maccagnan, who dropped some subtle hints last week that Petty still has a way to go.

"He understands why I did it," said Bowles of the GM, who isn't the head coach's direct superior in Woody Johnson's flawed power structure.

Jets QB Bryce Petty gets start vs. Rams with Fitzpatrick injured

In a vacuum, it's hard to argue with starting the better player, but there are myriad factors that make it the wrong decision.

Fitzpatrick won't be back next season. What's the sense in playing the impending free agent when you have two developmental quarterbacks who need game experience in the here and now?

Sure, Petty doesn't give Bowles' team "the best chance to win," but who gives a flying you-know-what about that right now? The priority should be properly evaluating Petty to determine if he has any chance to be the long-term solution to an age-old question for this star-crossed franchise.

"I actually know quite a bit about both of them," Bowles said of his two beardless signal callers. "It's not paramount for them to play right now. Right now, Fitz gives us the best option. You don't play a person to see what you have. Petty's time will come. So, we'll be patient with that."

Follow the Daily News Sports on Facebook. "Like" us here.

Petty is in the second half of his second season. It's patently absurd not to allow him to get on-the-job training in real games. It might actually be an added bonus if some veterans pack it in. It'll be easier to weed out those quitters in the offseason.

Bowles has taken a myopic view of the most important decision facing this franchise. With no checks and balances in place, only the owner has the authority to intervene and put an end to this nonsense.

"We're trying to win a ball game," Bowles said. "And get to 4-7."

Is there anyone in this organization who understands the big picture?

I'M NOT A HUGE MANISH MEHTA FAN BUT HE IS DEAD ON HERE!

Have you ever wondered why they have not found Manish's dead body behind a billboard out by the Jets practice facility?  The guy is an assassin

6 hours ago, Integrity28 said:

They see Fitx every day, and in games. He IS awful. They insist on saying he's not.

They have lost all credibility when it comes to judgment of awful.

They'd better best the Pats. Otherwise this decision is a complete betrayal of roster evaluation.

So we play the guy becuase he is awful in Games and the other guy is awful in Practice?   LOL.  I suspect Fitz is awful in practice as well.

13 minutes ago, Warfish said:

It would, if we had a fair view on either as yet, we don't.  It's funny to me the same guy who defended D-Rob for multiple years is willing to write off Petty after one game with a ultra-conservative gameplan.  Even I waited two full years before I wanted Geno cut.

So people say.  I've seen no evidence of that as yet.  But tin foil hats make for great forum threads.

There's a middle ground between writing a player completely off and wanting him to start vs the Pats. The idea of Petty gives people hope but the actual play of Petty isn't ready yet.

I actually like this player and before the season started he was the only one who looked decent in preseason. but still I don't see how rushing him into situations he's not ready for actually furthers his development.

Petty will get his shot probably after this week but I can't blame Bowles for trying to win games. His job is literally on the line. 

2 minutes ago, Larz said:

On almost every other NFL team, petty would have been cut and stashed on the PS

Let's not pretend he is the future because we don't know why we hate him yet

Hmmm,

He's not the past. And he's not the present...I don't immediately jump to "hate" until it's warranted.

2 minutes ago, bitonti said:

Petty will get his shot probably after this week but I can't blame Bowles for trying to win games. His job is literally on the line.

the first part seems reasonable. The send part, putting a known loser in to try and save your job, seems moronic.

But, really, that does seem to fit the Todd Bowles description: do the same thing no matter how unsuccessful it's been in the past.

1 minute ago, bitonti said:

There's a middle ground between writing a player completely off and wanting him to start vs the Pats. The idea of Petty gives people hope but the actual play of Petty isn't ready yet.

I think our disconnect is this, Fitz is the worst QB in the NFL.  The worst.  With no sign that improvement is coming.

So our options are the worst QB in the NFL, or a young kid with some potential, that at least in-part excited the fanbase.

I'm hard pressed to see what is gained, for anyone, in playing Fitz and having him continue to be the worst QB in the NFL and lead us to another loss.  

In my view, that decision by Bowles is far more damaging to his potential to return than losing with Petty.

I actually like this player and before the season started he was the only one who looked decent in preseason. but still I don't see how rushing him into situations he's not ready for actually furthers his development.

I don't see it as "rushing".  Again, halfway through his 2nd NFL season.  And not expecting Dan Marino-level from him.  Hardly unreasonable expectations.

His job should already be lost (i.e. the decision to terminate him should already have been made, he's that bad).

1 minute ago, phill1c said:

the first part seems reasonable. The send part, putting a known loser in to try and save your job, seems moronic.

But, really, that does seem to fit the Todd Bowles description: do the same thing no matter how unsuccessful it's been in the past.

There was nothing in Petty's only start to lead us to believe he's better than Fitz. 

4 minutes ago, Warfish said:

His job should already be lost (i.e. the decision to terminate him should already have been made, he's that bad).

The Jets' most highly paid player admitted he's getting old. The offense is without Clady, Decker and Mangold. Bowles had to bench the team's second highest paid player because he missed his own birthday party. 

I don't see how Bowles is a bad coach. He's doing what he can. For context, I also didn't see how Rex was a bad coach. These guys are like jockeys, for the most part they go as far and as fast as their horse takes them. True a great jockey can get the most out of a great horse but if the horse is just slow the problem is the horse not the jockey. 

or put it another way If Petty were better than Fitz he wins that game last week. If he throws multiple TDs he starts this week.

if any of the QB's were even comparable to Fitz, they wouldn't have signed Fitz. The talent is what it is.

Coaches Coach and players play. These players stink that's on the GM not the HC. The fact that there isn't a QB on the roster better than Fitz isn't a Bowles problem it's a Mac Problem.   

5 minutes ago, bitonti said:

There was nothing in Petty's only start to lead us to believe he's better than Fitz. 

And there's nothing in Fitz's starts that lead us to believe that we should go back to him.

Going back to Fitz is a lame attempt to make the coaches look good.  That is all.

6 minutes ago, bitonti said:

Really?

Petty had a materially higher completion % (61.8 vs. 56.4)

Petty had a lower INT % (4.4% for Fitz, 2.9 for Petty)

Petty had a higher QB Rating than Fitz (73.4 vs. 67.6)

Petty had a lower Sacked % (5.4% vs. 2.9%)

And Petty is within reasonable distance on all other performance stats vs. Fitz, despite one of the most conservative, least open game plans I've ever watched.  

And vs. a top tier Defense.

Seems Petty is at the very least an equal to the 2016 version of Fitzpatrick.  

Given that, you play the player who might have a future here.

3 minutes ago, Warfish said:

Really?

Petty had a materially higher completion % (61.8 vs. 56.4)

Petty had a lower INT % (4.4% for Fitz, 2.9 for Petty)

Petty had a higher QB Rating than Fitz (73.4 vs. 67.6)

Petty had a lower Sacked % (5.4% vs. 2.9%)

And Petty is within reasonable distance on all other performance stats vs. Fitz, despite one of the most conservative, least open game plans I've ever watched.  

And vs. a top tier Defense.

Seems Petty is at the very least an equal to the 2016 version of Fitzpatrick.  

dude he led the team to 6 points. Cmon. 

And again I'll ask why is it Bowles' job to scout QB's for the future? When you want him fired at the end of the year, why should he do anything other than what helps Todd Bowles? 

I don't see the point in getting worked up about starting Fitz against the Patriots on Sunday night, particularly as being a Bowles thing.  This decision was bigger than Bowles and is not the basis for talking about firing Bowles.

Macc and Bowles had a roster with Geno, who they knew had some ability, and two developmental prospects.  Macc selected the 2 new additions.  Bowles, given the budget and mandate that his boss Woody provided to him, appears to not have developed the QBs that Macc provided, which is either on Macc, Bowles or both.  So the bigger issue to me is whether the Macc/Bowles organization is doing its job in selecting and developing players.  For next year, it is Petty and Hack as QB.  Who else are they going to sign/draft?  if they draft someone, does that leave the other 2 as is?  Do they draft someone and then sign a veteran, thus cutting Petty likely?

But I would not allow this CS to draft another QB, or pay one alot of money, unless they can prove they can develop a QB and run an offense.  We need that before the end of the year.  As far as i am concerned, Petty can play games 13 and 14, and if he clearly does not work, Hack can play 15 and 16.  But for this game against the Patriots, i see the point in letting Fitz play if Bowles thinks he gives them the best shot, which is a very weak statement.  The fact that Fitz gives him the best shot means that other things are wrong that need to be fixed.

Fun read.  Looks like the same arguments we had over the summer prior to Fitz's new contract.

I'll side with those wanting  a new look.  Play Petty.  

We see teams make these decisions every year.  Whether it's playing Goff, Case Keenum, Cody Kessler.  The list goes on.

Commit to the young guy, put him in the best situation we can and let him develop or not.   

Fitz is a dumpster fire.  Brings nothing to the table and that includes hope for this football team.

18 minutes ago, bitonti said:

dude he led the team to 6 points. Cmon. 

Yeah, if only he'd have thrown 8 INT's instead.  Like Fitz.

Or was the worst Red Zone QB in the NFL....like Fitz.

Or led his team to an blazing average of.....11.3 points/game.  Like you know, Fitz. 

And again I'll ask why is it Bowles' job to scout QB's for the future? When you want him fired at the end of the year, why should he do anything other than what helps Todd Bowles? 

Does Bowles work for the organization?  

If so, his job is whatever the **** the Organization says it is, for however long the Organization says he can stay and do it.

If he says he doesn't want to, he can always be let go now rather than wait.  I'm ok with that, tbqh.

4 minutes ago, bitonti said:

Warfish do you really believe the organization (i.e. Woody) has told Bowles his job is to develop QB's and it doesn't matter if they win or lose? 

Bowles' job is to win games, period.

Again, Fitzpatrick helps him do this, how?

But, whatever. The decision's been made. And, really, the jets are irrelevant to all but its fans.

2 hours ago, Warfish said:

I, for one, am tired of this organization keeping QB's they don't like or want.  

If Petty sucks, he should have been dumped and a QB brought in they liked and would be willing to play if circumstances led to that.  Why the hell carry a player you refuse to play?

Thank you......

Can anyone answer this?????????????

if they know Petty stinks why is he on the team?  it was a huge mistake to carry 4qbs and all those TE's who don't play.  i blame this on Mac.

Agree here. Their big mistake was keeping him on the roster. I'm sure they know that now and had Geno not gotten hurt he likely would have been cut.

17 hours ago, Integrity28 said:

Fitz being "better" is a false argument. Fitz is proven awful. Petty is "likely" awful. At this point you play Petty to confirm that's he's awful, or see if live reps bring his game up.

Fitz does nothing for this team at all.

Yay, we agree. 

1 hour ago, bitonti said:

Warfish do you really believe the organization (i.e. Woody) has told Bowles his job is to develop QB's and it doesn't matter if they win or lose? 

Bowles' job is to win games, period.

Yeah, I do believe that Woody has told Toilet Bowles that his job is to do what's best for the team. I surely don't think he's told him, "win as many meaningless games as possible with this mistake signing as possible to save our face and your job...make the Jets as unwatchable as possible because that's what puts fannies in the seats..."

No, that's something YOU would say...and we know you're not woody nor have you likely seen one recently ;-)

1 hour ago, phill1c said:

Hmmm,

He's not the past. And he's not the present...I don't immediately jump to "hate" until it's warranted.

that was my point, once he plays enough for us to figure out why he sucks, the hate will flow

he's a PS QB elevated from injury, not performance

5 minutes ago, Larz said:

that was my point, once he plays enough for us to figure out why he sucks, the hate will flow

he's a PS QB elevated from injury, not performance

Your opinion seems overly negative. I don't believe he will suck simply because he hasn't shown that he will be great in a single NFL start.

4 hours ago, bitonti said:

this statement ignores the 1 start Petty was given and the 6 points he managed in that start. 

it pisses me off when people say we "need to see what we have" with these marginal players. Bullsh*t.

Geno Smith had 30 starts we didn't need to see one more to know he's terrible.

Petty got his relief start and while he's got potential (not a Geno Smith team cancer) clearly he's not ready for the job. We don't need to see him get smoked by the Pats to "see what we have" 

and on a side note there's a very fine line between evaluating players and ruining them. Let's throw Hack in there to see what we have is like saying let's taste this raw cake batter to see if it will be a good cake. These projects take time. Playing them before they are ready, is that proving they stink or just ruining them? 

No it doesn't.

It just weights the bazillion starts and mistakes that Fitz has had as evidence that 1 start is not a fair period of evaluation. Continually going to Fitz in an effort to help him "come around" is a complete contradiction to the notion that Bowles wouldn't afford Petty an extended tryout. Especially in light of the argument that Bowles has made that "Fitz allows us to do more".

Fact is, Fitz may "know" more of the playbook, but he cannot execute it. Fitz "doing more" has so far equalled rampant turnovers, the inability to score points, and a lost season. So... what part of "doing more" is difference making?

None of it. That's the answer.

I'd rather have Petty, with a slice of the playbook, and the expectation that he's got to go through growing pains. I can accept growing pains in an already lost season. I cannot accept the idea that we're still trying to win, then fielding a player that gives us no chance of winning.

The ONLY circumstance in which this is acceptable at all, is if we beat the Pats. Their defense is a mess, so the opportunity is there... but Fitz isn't leading us there. Nope.

1 hour ago, bitonti said:

The Jets' most highly paid player admitted he's getting old. The offense is without Clady, Decker and Mangold. Bowles had to bench the team's second highest paid player because he missed his own birthday party. 

I don't see how Bowles is a bad coach. He's doing what he can. For context, I also didn't see how Rex was a bad coach. These guys are like jockeys, for the most part they go as far and as fast as their horse takes them. True a great jockey can get the most out of a great horse but if the horse is just slow the problem is the horse not the jockey. 

or put it another way If Petty were better than Fitz he wins that game last week. If he throws multiple TDs he starts this week.

if any of the QB's were even comparable to Fitz, they wouldn't have signed Fitz. The talent is what it is.

Coaches Coach and players play. These players stink that's on the GM not the HC. The fact that there isn't a QB on the roster better than Fitz isn't a Bowles problem it's a Mac Problem.   

The bold is such an over-simplification of the problem, that it makes my head hurt.

Bowles deemed Fitz the starter last year, without him being under contract. Fitz was a Bowles choice. Unfortunately, Mac isn't Bowles boss. He's his peer. This part of it is a Woody Johnson problem. The players don't all stink. Some are just being used wrong, like Sheldon Richardson player LB. Fitz player QB. When players stink, and the coach consistently puts them in bad situations, or doesn't hold them accountable... then it is a coach problem. When the gameplan leads to impossible situations, it's not because the players stink.

Don't get me wrong, the players own a lot of this mess, but to imply that "coaches coach" means it's all on one or the other is silly. 

Bowles isn't good at his job. 

Mac has been just "okay", but to have added 3 QBs to the roster and have found none is a huge demerit. 

The players either suck, or have a ton of talent and don't care. 

Everything is coming up aces.

Archived