Bowles on Michael Kay

AFJF

10 minutes ago, RSJ said:

You can't get rid of him. It makes no sense. Mac and Bowles came in and the cupboards were bare. They signed some free agents to bring some balance and drafted well. Most free agents hit free agency because their first team didnt want them and they have only had two drafts. We are now seeing why the free agents original teams did not want them. That is fine. There is now some young talent on the roster to work with and develop. Another draft and free agency and this team will be competitive, just watch.

Complete agreement on the roster nightmare that Mac inherited. My issue is this CS. Bowles shows me zero growth and no balls. There ability to coach up or even evaluate players is seriously in doubt at this point. I think Bowles should be gone but I agreed with your other post that he probably gets another year. Which is a waste of time IMHO.

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply
10 minutes ago, Tinstar said:

I get the frustration folks, because I want to see Petty play also. Let me ask you folks this question . How did the Packers know it was time to move on from a HOF QB in Brett Favre to Aaron Rodgers when Rodgers wasn't getting any 1st team reps  ?

Rodgers first season going like 6-10 in his 4th year is the proof it takes even some all time greats a good chunk of starting experience to realize their potential.  And that is after a 12-4 season which the Packers lost in the NFCCG, so the talent was there.

If the Jets come out a state that the intent for 2017 is for Petty, Hack or draft pick to start, I am not offended by bring Fitz back at $10mm total or less (which includes the $5mm he is already owned).  He can be a veteran mentor and back up.  I actually prefer that to Romo and Cutler.

But Hoyer for 1/3 the price was the better call than Fitz.

It is obvious that MacBowles feel that Petty may only have a ceiling of "competent backup." So what is the point of giving him starts to "see what he can do." They are paid to make decisions on players. They've obviously made a decision on Petty. According to them he is no franchise QB. And they're probably right. Matt Robinson, Pat Ryan, Glenn Foley, Bubby Brister, Kellen Clemens, Greg McElroy... None of them went on to be anything more than the experts thought they would be: Backups... So I wouldn't worry so much about getting Petty starts.

31 minutes ago, Ken Shroy said:

Complete agreement on the roster nightmare that Mac inherited. My issue is this CS. Bowles shows me zero growth and no balls. There ability to coach up or even evaluate players is seriously in doubt at this point. I think Bowles should be gone but I agreed with your other post that he probably gets another year. Which is a waste of time IMHO.

Yeah I understand the frustration. Parcells, Coughlin and BB were all almost fired for the same thing. But I think there is a method to his style. I think he is trying to win and be demanding. The cream is rising to the top and the crap to the bottom. I think that might be what we are seeing. The balls thing needs improvement too - but he is a young coach. Part of it could be due to his lack of confidence in the players/roster. Either way he should get another year and I hope he surprises us. The whole thing has the same feeling as Mangini who I still think got the ax too early. The coaches from that coaching tree all seem to go through these same motions with their teams. 

Ok

1 hour ago, FidelioJet said:

And you have no reason to believe otherwise, except for your long shot hope that Petty might be the guy.

Why is it so hard to believe that Petty just sucks?

Because nothing actually points to him just sucking other than Bowles not switching to him. he passes the eye test, looked good in preseason and was not awful with no preparation in his only start. Throw in an elite arm and release and there is literally nothing to suggest he is not a very strong prospect other than Bowles being stupidly stubborn and in complete cover his butt mode. the slack Fitz gets is amazing to me. he is a PROVEN loser as a QB, yet he is viewed as the "best chance to win" yet people like you  want to discard a QB with elite skills after one start. mind boggling

1 hour ago, JetFanWithNOPSL2017 said:

Definitely the right decision by Bowles since Fitzpatrick is the only QB on the roster with any chance of winning a single game. He came close to upsetting Brady and the Pats in a game Petty loses by 3 to 4 TDs

I think part of the reason why Bowles started Fitz this past week and against Indy is that he wants the Jets to be as competitive as they can so that the other young players on the team can also continue to develop. Although we lost last night, that was a playoff like atmosphere for the rookies and 2nd year players. With Fitz staring, the young WR's and OL have a better chance of succeeding and progressing than if Petty or Hack played. If Petty started we have lost by over 20 to the Pats. Who wants our young guys playing much of the game in garbage time. The job of the HC is to oversee the growth of the entire team. If you put in Petty last week or even this coming week now and he really struggles, Bowles is basically telling the team "I know we have no shot to win, but let's have it because we want to see the young QB"  That is BS.

Obviously, we ALL want to see Petty and maybe Hack. IMO, Petty gets game action beginning game #13 or #14 at the LATEST. Petty already started 1 game. If he finishes the last 3 or 4 games, are you telling me that 4-5 games is not enough to get a guy experience. Although QB is key, there are young players at other positions who deserve to be placed in as competitive as environments as possible.

I know you all don't want to hear this, but because this offseason will be somewhat of a blow-up, there is NO WAY next year is a make or break year for Bowles, particularly if they are starting Petty or some other young QB. Woody needs to make a decision; cut bait with Bowles after this year (which I don't agree with), or openly admit that we are rebuilding and then commit to Bowles and Macc moving forward. If Bowles goes into next year in a must win situation, then we will AGAIN be avoiding the rebuild that the franchise needs.

Just now, southparkcpa said:

Great coaches also take a dump.  He has that in common with them too.  

Im not encouraged. 

Yeah that made a lot of sense. Point is they dont coach their teams according to what the fans or media want. Bad coaches do.

Just now, RSJ said:

Yeah that made a lot of sense. Point is they dont coach their teams according to what the fans or media want. Bad coaches do.

Well... not all. Some bad coaches are stubborn and unable to seek a long term solution because they are more concerned about the current game than the teams future.  They are that way regardless of fans.  I personally don't believe any coach who can get to this level cares about the fans opinions. They are all men of decision. Sometimes to a fault. 

6 minutes ago, southparkcpa said:

Well... not all. Some bad coaches are stubborn and unable to seek a long term solution because they are more concerned about the current game than the teams future.  They are that way regardless of fans.  I personally don't believe any coach who can get to this level cares about the fans opinions. They are all men of decision. Sometimes to a fault. 

Are you saying this move is stubborn? What would lead you to that belief? You were impressed with Petty against the Rams? And don't fool yourself, all these guys read the papers. Some react and some don't. Making it to where they are is part politics, just like any other job.

2 hours ago, FidelioJet said:

He has said it.  He said Petty isn't ready.  If Petty isn't ready to play in a  situation like this he's never going to be.  

As another poster said if he doesn't get reps in practice how can he be?  And can you really say that the RAMS GP wasn't a joke.... you ahve a strong armed QB and keep the WR routs to 5-7 yards... come on man at least give the kid a chance and not handcuff him. 

1 hour ago, jetswinbaby! said:

It is obvious that MacBowles feel that Petty may only have a ceiling of "competent backup." So what is the point of giving him starts to "see what he can do." They are paid to make decisions on players. They've obviously made a decision on Petty. According to them he is no franchise QB. And they're probably right. Matt Robinson, Pat Ryan, Glenn Foley, Bubby Brister, Kellen Clemens, Greg McElroy... None of them went on to be anything more than the experts thought they would be: Backups... So I wouldn't worry so much about getting Petty starts.

No it isn't.  Please post the article, statement and or quote where you are basing this statement on ... otherwsie its just your speculation which is erroneous at est. 

1 hour ago, SOJ said:

As another poster said if he doesn't get reps in practice how can he be?  And can you really say that the RAMS GP wasn't a joke.... you have a strong armed QB and keep the WR routes to 5-7 yards... come on man at least give the kid a chance and not handcuff him. 

2 hours ago, FidelioJet said:

I'm not sure what y'all expect him to say - He's making it as clear as day to me - Petty isn't the guy.  PERIOD!  I don't know how you all are not seeing that. 

The only thing he's not saying is that it was a mistake to not cut him...and they're simply never going to say that - but their actions are saying it clearly.

He's defensive coach - he has no clue if Petty is ready or not. When he does get in they need to let him wing it. He has a strong arm. I remember on ESPN they were saying they thought he could end up as the best QB in the entire draft. He looked like he was more gifted than Fitz in the pre-season. Let him play!

37 minutes ago, johnnysd said:

Ok

Because nothing actually points to him just sucking other than Bowles not switching to him. he passes the eye test, looked good in preseason and was not awful with no preparation in his only start. Throw in an elite arm and release and there is literally nothing to suggest he is not a very strong prospect other than Bowles being stupidly stubborn and in complete cover his butt mode. the slack Fitz gets is amazing to me. he is a PROVEN loser as a QB, yet he is viewed as the "best chance to win" yet people like you  want to discard a QB with elite skills after one start. mind boggling

Except there's plenty to point to the coaching staff believing he's not any good....Mac has come out and said he THINKS Petty MAY have a future as a back-up.  Bowles has said Petty isn't ready yet.   He was on the bubble of even making the team. 

I think most fans are blinded by this and are simply making Bowles the scapegoat because we missed on another QB....hoping it's really the coach and not the player.

And to be clear, I don't want to discard Petty..and personally I would love to see him play - my point is that it seems pretty obvious to me what the coaches are doing.  They know what Fitz is (hence the one year contract) and would have loved for Petty to dethrone him.  

27 minutes ago, RSJ said:

Are you saying this move is stubborn? What would lead you to that belief? You were impressed with Petty against the Rams? And don't fool yourself, all these guys read the papers. Some react and some don't. Making it to where they are is part politics, just like any other job.

Yes, I was impressed how Petty looked against the #2 defense in the first half - and then they handcuffed him. Petty would have had all day against the Pats average D and could have gotten hot - he has much more arm talent the Fitz and he can throw the deep ball. Do you realize they threw him out with half the reps against one of the best pass rushing teams in the league? The Pats D would have been much easier to play against and he would have had all day to throw.

8 minutes ago, Greensleeves said:

He's defensive coach - he has no clue if Petty is ready or not. When he does get in they need to let him wing it. He has a strong arm. I remember on ESPN they were saying they thought he could end up as the best QB in the entire draft. He looked like he was more gifted than Fitz in the pre-season. Let him play!

Except it's his job to make that determination - again, we may want him to be good - and Bowles may even be wrong about his talent...but his decision isn't about fear, or trying to win now or a hope to make the playoffs or just that he's an idiot and doesn't understand how to build a program...it's because he doesn't believe he's any good and because Mac has agreed I think it's highly unlikely he'll be on the roster next year.  He did not make this decision in a vacuum...I'm sure he's gotten plenty of input from the offensive coaches.

2 hours ago, JoJoTownsell1 said:

So you're encouraged by a coach that kept 4 Qbs on the roster when one of them was not competent? I can understand Hack, but if Bowles couldn't tell if Petty was the answer (or even close to being capable to start) after 1 full season with the team and a preseason then he isn't that "great." Keep setting that bar low..

maybe they kept the 4 qb's hoping some team would take one.  if they dropped any, he would've had to go through waivers.  they took a chance and this decision is probably on mac.

Everyone here needs to pop a pill and relax .  Don't you all see that playing Fitz gives this franchise the best chance to keep losing more games? how many times have we wanted this team to tank so that we'd benefit from higher draft picks? Numerous times. for this team has been hovering in the realm of mediocrity from too long. 

Look guys, there's too many holes that need to be filled and no matter how tempting in may be to start a 4th rounder in hopes that he's our golden boy,  and Nobody here(including yours truly ) is qualified to actually know if Petty is ready. So, best thing the team needs to do for the next 5 games is lose. Fitz is not a winning qb, he can't close out games ( just check his stats) he gives this team the best chance to lose☺

Mac will have a bigger talent pool to choose from. The next 5 year's of this franchise will hang on his draft choices this year. AS FOR QB,  A veteran QB will be brought in over the off season and along with Petty and Hackenburg, they'll get to compete for the starting spot during training camp.

16 minutes ago, Greensleeves said:

Yes, I was impressed how Petty looked against the #2 defense in the first half - and then they handcuffed him. Petty would have had all day against the Pats average D and could have gotten hot - he has much more arm talent the Fitz and he can throw the deep ball. Do you realize they threw him out with half the reps against one of the best pass rushing teams in the league? The Pats D would have been much easier to play against and he would have had all day to throw.

The #2 defense got smoked by the Saints this weekend. Be careful of defensive rankings.

9 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

Except there's plenty to point to the coaching staff believing he's not any good....Mac has come out and said he THINKS Petty MAY have a future as a back-up.  Bowles has said Petty isn't ready yet.   He was on the bubble of even making the team. 

I think most fans are blinded by this and are simply making Bowles the scapegoat because we missed on another QB....hoping it's really the coach and not the player.

And to be clear, I don't want to discard Petty..and personally I would love to see him play - my point is that it seems pretty obvious to me what the coaches are doing.  They know what Fitz is (hence the one year contract) and would have loved for Petty to dethrone him.  

stop making so much sense. to be sure, fitz isn't a frachise qb but he may yet be on the team next season.  petty?  who knows.  we haven't seen enough of petty to say he's worth keeping.  and while i agree with lucas that you never know until he plays, for some bowles has been reluctant to use him.  hack?  the jets have deep pockets and if he has issues with his mechanics they need to be working on them yesterday.  they can hire coaches for this.  imo bowles has other more serious issues to contend with than qb.

2 hours ago, AFJF said:

They said someting very similar once the call was over.  Complete failure by the CS to say Petty isn't ready after week 11 of year two and their 2nd round pick from this year can't get on the field.  Kay and LaGreca pulled no punches.  Drilled down on Bowles and sounded like a lot of us lunatics on here when discussing Bowles' comments.

Or maybe Petty isn't grasping it. We are talking about a guy that started understanding coverages via Madden less than a yr ago and only a month ago heard of quarters-man coverage for the first time in his life. 

But let's listen to Michael Kay when it comes to developing QBs. He barely understands baseball. 

2 minutes ago, C Mart said:

Or maybe Petty isn't grasping it. We are talking about a guy that started understanding coverages via Madden less than a yr ago and only a month ago heard of quarters-man coverage for the first time in his life. 

But let's listen to Michael Kay when it comes to developing QBs. He barely understands baseball. 

Michael Kay is the only one saying this?  There are no other writers, former coaches or former players saying there's no reason to go back to Fitz?

3 hours ago, AFJF said:

Great job by Kay and LeGreca doing everything they could to make sense of the decisoin.  Bowles wouldn't budge.  Basically said he has a "time frame" in his head for Petty and/or Hack to play, but that time is not now.

Said the decision is 100% his and Maccagnan is in agreement.

Wouldn't rule out a Fitz return next season (no effing way)

Said he's not pressured by fans/media

Said starting Petty might put too much pressure on him

That's it off the top of my head

Great job by Kay and LeGreca...they sounded as frustrated as we, the fans are.  Kay did the whole "take the glasses off and stretch my confused face out with my hands" while LaGreca re-capped Bowles' answers.

If that interview doesn't leave Jet fans screaming "WTF???"..., nothing ever will.

Just now, Flushing Roots said:

If that interview doesn't leave Jet fans screaming "WTF???"..., nothing ever will.

I was really impressed.  I normally get pissed off when interviewers ask the same question ten different ways, but you could tell that they were legitimately beside themselves and were trying to make sense of it.

LaGreca was actually very respectful in how he explained it once the call was over.  He basically acknowledged that Bowles knows a ton more about football than he does, but he was trying to get an answer that made any sense but they weren't getting one.

2 minutes ago, AFJF said:

Michael Kay is the only one saying this?  There are no other writers, former coaches or former players saying there's no reason to go back to Fitz?

It's not their team. They aren't in the meeting rooms, watching practice. 

I still recall Jim Miller saying when Hack was picked during the draft that he was told by Gailey (Who was Jim's OC in Pitts) that Petty wasn't progressing at the rate they had hoped.

Archived