Petty to Start Remaining Games

JetNation

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, Ex-Rex said:

I am not sure that Petty is the answer, but at least now we have the opportunity to find out. Petty threw a couple of real bad balls last night, including an interception that a senior in high school would not have thrown. He locked on to Robby Anderson all night and ignored all else pretty much. I will reserve judgement until the season is over. 

Me too. I want to see Petty with a full week of starter's reps. I want to see him where he has play action at his disposal because the run option is still on the board.Last night everyone on the field knew he was going to be passing.  Petty did throw a number of bad balls last night , but he also threw a few more you'd say wow that ball got there quickly . 

6 minutes ago, joewilly12 said:

Bowles said Petty was starting the last 4 games anyway so we might as well start early.....

What happened to Fitzpatrick gives us the best chance to win. 

The Jets were officially eliminated from the playoffs last night. So Bowles didn't want to quit on the vets who ironically have quit on Bowles and he just stood by and let them.

Just now, 56mehl56 said:

The Jets were officially eliminated from the playoffs last night. So Bowles didn't want to quit on the vets who ironically have quit on Bowles and he just stood by and let them.

Todd Bowles needs to be a former Jets head coach sooner than later. 

18 minutes ago, thatboyjack said:

A strong arm on a person who can't read defenses (yet) makes for a really good.....punter. Petty did  have two nice punts yesterday.

Still a better option than a weak armed one read Ryan Fitzpatrick. Let's see Petty play  a game where they give him a real gameplan and still have the option of the run at his disposal. 

40 minutes ago, thatboyjack said:

I think you missed my point. The fans who've been clamoring for Bowles to start Petty since 3-4 games ago or so, witnessed last night, and will continue to witness the fact that Petty is not yet ready. Bowles never said it out right in an interview but the fact that Petty never eclipsed Geno for the #2 slot spoke volumes about Petty being unprepared to be an NFL starter as of yet.

Me too. We are mathematically eliminated so yeah...let the kid play. He's still not ready to be an NFL starter though. So whoever has been clamoring for Bowles to start Petty for the last 3-4 weeks are going to witness some terrible QB play for the next 4 weeks. Petty is not there yet...that's why Petty never eclipsed Geno for the #2 spot, and why Petty is only seeing the field for 4 games after mathematical elimination.

I didnt miss your point.   I dont give a FUKK what Todd Bowles says or thinks. He has lost the team, lost the fans and lost independent analysts. Arizona doesn't miss Bowles, Ravens were happy to see Rex go.  

Let the kid play. He is a 2nd year player, he's rested plenty. If he's not ready, great, trial by fire. But he needs playing time and FITZ is bringing us no where.  I would have rather lost the last 2 games with petty and Fitz should be on the bench.  

15 minutes ago, 56mehl56 said:

Yeah, he couldn't coach them regardless so there's that. 

16 minutes ago, 56mehl56 said:

Still a better option than a weak armed one read Ryan Fitzpatrick. Let's see Petty play  a game where they give him a real gameplan and still have the option of the run at his disposal. 

How he stacks up against Fitzpatrick is irrelevant. The kid is not yet ready to be an NFL starter....that's why he's been riding the pine until now. He's going to play the remaining four games and average a sub 50 QBR, sub 60% completion percentage, and a 2 to 1 (or worse) Int's to TD's ratio. And all of those (maybe you too) who've been blasting Bowles for not starting Petty before the Jets were mathematically eliminated from the playoffs will bear witness to Bowles' insight. 

7 minutes ago, southparkcpa said:

I didnt miss your point.   I dont give a FUKK what Todd Bowles says or thinks. He has lost the team, lost the fans and lost independent analysts. Arizona doesn't miss Bowles, Ravens were happy to see Rex go.  

Let the kid play. He is a 2nd year player, he's rested plenty. If he's not ready, great, trial by fire. But he needs playing time and FITZ is bringing us no where.  I would have rather lost the last 2 games with petty and Fitz should be on the bench.  

You can curse all the FUKK you want....

tyTc1Nl.jpg

...but talking about how Bowles has lost "this" and lost "that", or Arizona doesn't miss him says NOTHING about Petty as a QB...and his need for further development.

Petty has looked both good and bad in the games he's played in. He also has never had a full week of practice getting the lions share of first team reps. (The Rams game he split reps with Fitz)

The good moments I've seen from him though are encouraging. Lets see what he can do the restof the way. 

We know that Fitz and Geno aren't the answer. The question is can Petty be the guy? Or, can he be the backup? If yes (or yes), let's get him some experience.

What are the odds that Petty is the guy - probably not high, but what are you going to do? This is a long process. Do we draft a QB in the first? I don't know. Do we sign a Vet? I don't know? But, until he plays a few games, I don't know if even our FO knows. The season is over, now it is time to evaluate who we have and who we don't.

8 minutes ago, thatboyjack said:

How he stacks up against Fitzpatrick is irrelevant. The kid is not yet ready to be an NFL starter....that's why he's been riding the pine until now. He's going to play the remaining four games and average a sub 50 QBR, sub 60% completion percentage, and a 2 to 1 (or worse) Int's to TD's ratio. And all of those (maybe you too) who've been blasting Bowles for not starting Petty before the Jets were mathematically eliminated from the playoffs will bear witness to Bowles' insight. 

Bowles insight ??  He caved to what the Vets wanted.. Mangold, Decker, Marshall the supposed veteran leadership on the team all lobbied for Fitz . Bowles should have turned to Geno especially after KC , when he failed to do that it was a clear he was letting the inmates run the asylum .

As far as Petty goes, Chan has done great work with Qb's before. I trust with a full week of starter's reps and a gameplan suited to his strengths I believe he'll look better than what your speculating. Will he still have growing pains - undoubtedly , but let;s see if he learns and progresses from his mistakes. 

I agree with those who say this team needs to be blown up and start from scratch.  I'm afraid though that the exact opposite approach will be taken and the brain trust will go with another stopgap QB like Romo or Cutler and hope to squeak out a playoff berth with the same core of players.

10 minutes ago, 56mehl56 said:

Bowles insight ??  He caved to what the Vets wanted.. Mangold, Decker, Marshall the supposed veteran leadership on the team all lobbied for Fitz . Bowles should have turned to Geno especially after KC , when he failed to do that it was a clear he was letting the inmates run the asylum .

As far as Petty goes, Chan has done great work with Qb's before. I trust with a full week of starter's reps and a gameplan suited to his strengths I believe he'll look better than what your speculating. Will he still have growing pains - undoubtedly , but let;s see if he learns and progresses from his mistakes. 

Caved? How is naming Fitzpatrick the prospective starter for the 2016 season immediately after the 2015 season ended caving to the vets? Your whole first paragraph is pure unsubstantiated speculation. You know nothing of what you speak...none of us know of what you speak because none of us have access to that locker room or the practice field.

My whole argument is/was Petty's not yet ready for the show. Bowles (and the coaching staff) knew that way back when...and they still know. I'm not sure where your first paragraph tangent came from, as it had absolutely nothing to do with replying to anything I've stated thus far.

giphy.gif

1 minute ago, thatboyjack said:

Caved? How is naming Fitzpatrick the prospective starter for the 2016 season immediately after the 2015 season ended caving to the vets. Your whole first paragraph is pure unsubstantiated speculation. You know nothing of what you speak...none of us know of what you speak because none of us have access to that locker room or the practice field.

My whole argument is/was Petty's not yet ready for the show. Bowles knew (and the coaching staff) knew that way back when...and they still know. I'm not sure where your first paragraph tangent came from, as it had absolutely nothing to do with replying to anything I've stated thus far.

giphy.gif

You speculate Bowles and the CS know that Petty is not ready - based on what , the fact that he hasn't played. By that same logic, was Geno not ready earlier this season too . My first paragraph is in reference to the fact that your believe Todd had some great insight that Petty was not ready. I state its not that but either 1) he caved to the Vets or 2) simply Petty was injured more seriously is the PS than was disclosed.  I lost all faith in Bowles ability to judge Qb's when he failed to bench Fitz in the KC game or failed to name Geno the starter following it.

15 minutes ago, 56mehl56 said:

You speculate Bowles and the CS know that Petty is not ready - based on what , the fact that he hasn't played. By that same logic, was Geno not ready earlier this season too . My first paragraph is in reference to the fact that your believe Todd had some great insight that Petty was not ready. I state its not that but either 1) he caved to the Vets or 2) simply Petty was injured more seriously is the PS than was disclosed.  I lost all faith in Bowles ability to judge Qb's when he failed to bench Fitz in the KC game or failed to name Geno the starter following it.

Bowles and the coaching staff see the QB's everyday...we don't. Bowles and the coaching staff, compared to us, are the football experts. YES I trust the insight of a football expert insider who has the expertise and guidance of other football expert insiders (his staff) than the unqualified opinion of an outsider looking in. They said Fitz was the best option to win...then Fitz was it. They said that Petty hadn't done enough to take the #2 spot from Geno...then Petty's not fully developed. On the field Petty clearly personifies their assessment of him.....54% completion percentage, 5.1 yards per completion and an average QBR of 21. So starting him since weeks 9 or 10 would have been disastrous. He hasn't been ready, and he's still not ready. But alas, the Jets are out of options...so I wish the kid luck.

2 hours ago, Integrity28 said:

Missing the better part of his 2nd season hurts. He needs reps. I'm looking forward to seeing what he can do with some organizational support behind him.

Timing and ball placement was off last night, Anderson's drops didn't help. I think these are things that can improve with reps, which is promising.

He's probably not going to make anyone forget Aaron Rodgers any time soon. Before I judge him as a foregone failure, I'd like to see him in 1 game after getting all the 1st team reps for a whopping 1 whole week. Really I'd like to see him in a few of them.

That should be the one liberating thing about a train wreck season: no "what if" questions about giving kids the nods instead of keeping vets on the field. See what we've got with no regrets for the remainder of the season. If he sucks then he sucks. Who cares? We suck anyway.

He's got a decent group of receivers to throw to. Yeah there will be drops, but since wins and losses no longer matter anyway, we can judge with our eyes if the stats better reflect his good/bad play or the good/bad play of others around him.

1 hour ago, thatboyjack said:

You can curse all the FUKK you want....

tyTc1Nl.jpg

...but talking about how Bowles has lost "this" and lost "that", or Arizona doesn't miss him says NOTHING about Petty as a QB...and his need for further development.

yes and Lord knows we are great team for developing young players. What choice do we have but play the kid now?  

11 minutes ago, thatboyjack said:

Bowles and the coaching staff see the QB's everyday...we don't. Bowles and the coaching staff, compared to us, are the football experts. YES I trust the insight of a football expert insider who has the expertise and guidance of other football expert insiders (his staff) than the unqualified opinion of an outsider looking in. They said Fitz was the best option to win...then Fitz was it. They said that Petty hadn't done enough to take the #2 spot from Geno...then Petty's not fully developed. On the field Petty clearly personifies their assessment of him.....54% completion percentage, 5.1 yards per completion and an average QBR of 21. So starting him since weeks 9 or 10 would have been disastrous. He hasn't been ready, and he's still not ready. But alas, the Jets are out of options...so I wish the kid luck.

Fans with this attitude make it easy to suck.  They never question the team. So according to your theory...the Jets of the last 45 years are the experts.  Got it!  

I can tell you I have played golf with GM's, asst GM's, counsel for an NFL team and they aren't necessarily that much smarter than you or I.  I personally know the assitant GM of an NFL team. We are FB and linkedin friends.  He's no brain surgeon.  

14 minutes ago, thatboyjack said:

Yes, but I know when we should go for 2 pts - like against Buffalo.  I know in the Pittsburgh game we should not have punted and I know Fitz should not have been the starter . not game 1 . not after KC , not ever.  But hey I'm just a fan ](*,).

4 hours ago, Jetsplayer21 said:

Petty getting first team reps in practice is going to be huge.. Sure he hasn't gotten a chance to do much in practice with fitzgarbage in the way..

that will be interesting.  it seems like the only players he was throwing to were anderson and asj. none to enunwa.  a couple to marshall.  it'll be interesting to see both anderson and devon smith on the field at the same time.  now if petty can get his throws down.

7 minutes ago, southparkcpa said:

Fans with this attitude make it easy to suck.  They never question the team. So according to your theory...the Jets of the last 45 years are the experts.  Got it!  

I can tell you I have played golf with GM's, asst GM's, counsel for an NFL team and they aren't necessarily that much smarter than you or I.  I personally know the assitant GM of an NFL team. We are FB and linkedin friends.  He's no brain surgeon.  

Wow! I'm talking about the expertise of football coaches on football and football players...and you're talking about GM's. It doesn't take a brain surgeon to see that the comparison here is apples to quiche...GEESH!

Here I am talking about Petty's ability to be a successful starter at this stage of his career, and here's yet another person replying to me going off on another tangent.

Hey, I wish the kid luck.

Peace out.

3 minutes ago, 56mehl56 said:

Yes, but I know when we should go for 2 pts - like against Buffalo.  I know in the Pittsburgh game we should not have punted and I know Fitz should not have been the starter . not game 1 . not after KC , not ever.  But hey I'm just a fan ](*,).

Here I am talking about Petty's ability to be a successful starter at this stage of his career, and here you go again off on another tangent.

Hey, I wish the kid luck.

Peace out.

21 minutes ago, thatboyjack said:

i'm okay with that assessment except when i see the jets falling apart before our very eyes.  the players are not that bad, talent wise.  but man they sure looked like they were lacking some serious motivation.

12 minutes ago, 56mehl56 said:

My point exactly...  every peron we speak to and or hear from is calling out Bowles but this poster calls him an expert.  

Bowles is a fraud.

2 hours ago, cant wait said:

That's funny because the last time I heard fitz talk, all he did was whine about being benched and throw the organization under the bus 

1 hour ago, thatboyjack said:

You must have a pretty sharp crystal ball to know all of this stuff.  Until we see Petty for an extended period of time, nobody knows how he will perform.  Bowles insight means nothing, he runs the same loafers out there every week, never making an adjustment or benching under performers.  Given that, Petty is probably HOF bound.

Are players ever "ready" the first time they see the field?  Certainly for QBs, it's a lot more about growing when they play, as opposed to how good or bad they look in practice.

The only way we'll see if he can learn from his game-time mistakes and improve is to give him game-time - and frankly being able to improve is actually the most important characteristic to have.

1 hour ago, southparkcpa said:

My point exactly...  every peron we speak to and or hear from is calling out Bowles but this poster calls him an expert.  

Bowles is a fraud.

And then he tells us we're going off on a tangent. While I quoted exactly a line from his post :o

Archived