Dalvin Cook worth a look tonight

Pointdexter

I'm normally pretty into rbs in the draft but this year I am all in on peppers if that kid lands in our laps he is the one I want. I think cook is going to be better than fournette though that kid always looks like he is limping around on the sidelines to me. Wasn't super high on Elliot last season though so take it for what it is the draft is a crapshoot

Sent from my LG-D850 using Tapatalk

Just wanted to add that the main reason Prescott looks so good is due to a game changing young Peterson type RB version in Elliot. Being deep in the draft at RB doesn't mean there will be ones later in the draft like Cook and Fournette. The pick should be for one of them to help whatever QB we have and then we get a LT hopefully in round 2 or 3 that can start sooner rather than later. We can't go by the most glaring need in the 1st round we need like QB, LT, CB, etc. since at the 6th overall those would probably be players rated 15th or lower in the round(except maybe CB Tabot who could go top 5-7). And we should be drafting O and not D at CB again since our D even with current and some future FAs will be much better if the O improves. We simply struggle in the red zone and in maintaining drives to where we can't score enough points to control any game we are in against good or bad teams.

8 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

Polamalu, maybe? 

I had hopes that Pryor was going to be a Polamalu clone.

As for Cook, I'm all for the pick if a top OLB isn't on the board.

Then load up with offensive linemen and secondary help in later rounds.

Hack needs a running game next year.

Just now, Jimmy 2 Times said:

I had hopes that Pryor was going to be a Ploamalu clone.

Pryor is bone stupid.

3 hours ago, Shadetree said:

Holy crap I want dalvin cook. We need difference makers. Unless there is an OLB with ALL the tools there, I would be extremely happy with Cook.

...plus, I think it would be fun to watch all the happiness leave his body when the Jets draft him. There would be memes everywhere.

LMAO, good one!!

4 minutes ago, Jimmy 2 Times said:

I had hopes that Pryor was going to be a Ploamalu clone.

Pryor is bone stupid.

37 minutes ago, UnknownJetFan said:

Just wanted to add that the main reason Prescott looks so good is due to a game changing young Peterson type RB version in Elliot. Being deep in the draft at RB doesn't mean there will be ones later in the draft like Cook and Fournette. The pick should be for one of them to help whatever QB we have and then we get a LT hopefully in round 2 or 3 that can start sooner rather than later. We can't go by the most glaring need in the 1st round we need like QB, LT, CB, etc. since at the 6th overall those would probably be players rated 15th or lower in the round(except maybe CB Tabot who could go top 5-7). And we should be drafting O and not D at CB again since our D even with current and some future FAs will be much better if the O improves. We simply struggle in the red zone and in maintaining drives to where we can't score enough points to control any game we are in against good or bad teams.

The real reason both Dak and Zeke look good is the Cowboys' OL.  It's that simple.

27 minutes ago, Il Mostro said:

The real reason both Dak and Zeke look good is the Cowboys' OL.  It's that simple.

The Cowboys line is good but Zeke is a special back. Someone mentioned only 4 of the top 30 backs in rushing yards are 1st round picks, how many RBs have even been picked in the top of the 1st round over the last 10-12 years? 

If you think Cook is another Edgerrin James, you pick his azz to be Hacks safety valve. Here's a list below. Elliott obviously was a great 1st round grab. Only 7 guys were picked in the top 10 since 2005. 3 guys went in the top 15 in 2005 (none of them were great). Just like taking QBs it's a crapshoot. Not one RB was picked in the top 15 since 2010 when Matthews & Spiller were taken. I can see why GMs are afraid to take a RB so high, but just remember, we took Dee Milliner & how did that work out?

Adrian PetersonVikings (No. 7, 2007)
Jonathan StewartPanthers (No. 13, 2008)

Darren McFaddenRaiders (No. 4, 2008)
Ryan MathewsChargers (No. 12, 2010)
Reggie BushSaints (No. 2, 2006)
 LynchBills (No. 12, 2007)
Ronnie Brown (No. 2, 2005)
Cedric Benson, Bears (No.4, 2005)
Cadillac Williams, (No. 5, 2005)
C.J. SpillerBills (No. 9, 2010)

32 minutes ago, Snell41 said:

No it's really not. When you watch Dak play he is clearly working through progressions and analyzing the D pre and post snap. Dak is a football player through and through.

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

In the games where the cowboys line could not impose their will in the running game, Dak looked like poo 

6 minutes ago, Tinstar said:

it wouldn't be a bad pick . The best thing for a young QB is a premier RB . 

For this team team with a porous offensive line, a terrible secondary, and no immediate starter at QB in 2017 on the roster, it would be a horrible pick. Forte and Powell aren't going anywhere. I'm all for picking a RB in a later round but you don't take luxury positions in the top ten unless you're a complete team. The Jets are far from that. Think about it. By the time the Jets find a QB and they might actually be competitive, this pick will likely be closing in on their 5th year option and close to a second contract. Not worth it. 

2 minutes ago, CrazyCarl40 said:

For this team team with a porous offensive line, a terrible secondary, and no immediate starter at QB in 2017 on the roster, it would be a horrible pick. Forte and Powell aren't going anywhere. I'm all for picking a RB in a later round but you don't take luxury positions in the top ten unless you're a complete team. The Jets are far from that. Think about it. By the time the Jets find a QB and they might actually be competitive, this pick will likely be closing in on their 5th year option and close to a second contract. Not worth it. 

Porous OL? I think they've been solid run blocking

I'm all for addressing our OL in free agency. I'm so sick and tired though of nickel and diming our skill positions. 30 year old Matt Forte, Fitzpatrick, Chris Johnson, Ridley, Stacey, the list goes on and on. 

I get the philosophy of not drafting the "luxury position". But I also believe you need to stock your team with the best football players possible. Cook is absolutely one of the best pure ballers in this draft and it's at a position of need.

Watson is still my top choice but no one should be upset if we come out of this draft with a Dalvin Cook on our team.

6 minutes ago, Pointdexter said:

I'm all for addressing our OL in free agency. I'm so sick and tired though of nickel and diming our skill positions. 30 year old Matt Forte, Fitzpatrick, Chris Johnson, Ridley, Stacey, the list goes on and on. 

I get the philosophy of not drafting the "luxury position". But I also believe you need to stock your team with the best football players possible. Cook is absolutely one of the best pure ballers in this draft and it's at a position of need.

Watson is still my top choice but no one should be upset if we come out of this draft with a Dalvin Cook on our team.

I wouldn't be upset. The Jets constantly do things the shouldn't. I'm completely apathetic when it comes to the NFL draft. Regime after regime just sucks at it. Taking a first round running back would be status quo for this horrid franchise. 

Just now, CrazyCarl40 said:

I wouldn't be upset. The Jets constantly do things the shouldn't. I'm completely apathetic when it comes to the NFL draft. Regime after regime just sucks at it. Taking a first round running back would be status quo for this horrid franchise. 

When has a team won a Super Bowl strictly by passing the football and no defense

7 minutes ago, UnitedWhofans said:

When has a team won a Super Bowl strictly by passing the football and no defense

Huh? Who said anything about defense? I'd be happy with a pass rusher or a shut down corner at #6. What they should really do is trade back if they can. The draft is so far away that it's hard to gauge what's going to happen between now and then. 

I watch a ton of college football, and I am a huge Michigan fan, so I've seen a ton of Peppers. 

Here's the deal, he's good...but I don't consider him a top 10 pick because he isn't a STUD at any ONE position. His lack of interceptions in college is because he wasn't put in position to get them. He played in the box a ton. He played OLB and SS, but was rarely lined up 1 on 1 with a pass catcher. That's not to say that he can't be very good at either of those, I just haven't seen enough of it to say he's worth a top 10 pick. On Special Teams, he is very special. The kid has moves, there's no denying that. But I'm not using a top 10 pick on a kick/punt returner. As for offense, he can line up in the backfield or out wide and do well either spot, but I don't see him doing enough at either to warrant using a top 10 pick on him for that either. 

So to me it comes down to this...a top 10 pick should be used for someone you know can make a huge difference at their position...and Peppers hasn't proven that he can do that at any ONE position. His value lies in versatility and athleticism. The potential is insane...but he could also bust very easily. 

As for the RB's we're discussing, I love both Fournette and Cook...but I think we'd be wasting our 1st round pick by drafting them because we have SO many other holes that are more important. Our OL is in the bottom 5 of the league, and if we lose Winters and Mangold...they're possibly the worst OL in the league. That's not a good place for a rookie RB. IMO, we'd be better off trying to grab someone in the 2nd round like McCaffery or Foreman, although I'm not as high on McCaffery as most are. And with the ACL injury to Jake Butt, he may fall into round 3, and we'd be able to let him recover/rehab as long as he needs to because we won't be playing for anything next year anyways. When healthy, Butt is a 1st round talent and he doesn't have a long injury history at all. I'd use a 3rd on him in a heart beat. 

First round, we need to be looking at OLB or CB, unless we trade back. There are no QB's or OT's worth the number 6 overall pick, so we'd be wise to not reach just to have one. For the record, I'm ALL for trading back unless Myles Garret falls to 6. He's the only player in this draft that I feel like is a can't miss prospect. Jonathan Allen is close, but we don't need him at all unless we trade BOTH of Mo and Sheldon. And Allen is better than both of them. 

Archived