Bill Belichick Resigns from Jet's January 4, 2000...17 Years ago today.

8 hours ago, The Walrus said:

Belichick made the right decision from his POV. 4 rings and a lot of AFCE titles. He wanted to get out from Parcells and uncertain ownership.

There's no regrets with Belichick, the regrets should be that we haven't done a better job at the Jets in that time.

As for if BB didn't have TB12  he wouldn't have won as much, well, you can't have it both ways. A Pats fan can turn around and say without Namath we wouldn't even have one SB ring. We did have Namath and we do have one ring, they do have Tom Brady and they do have four.

up until very recently we were one of the better franchises in the AFC since BB left.  obviously we never made a SB but we made the playoffs often and won a bunch of PO games.  It was just our luck that Tom Brady came around at the same time or we would have won more div titles and probably had a SB app or two.

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply
12 hours ago, NoBowles said:

At a bare min, Brady doesn't become Brady the way we know him now, and the Pats are not a dynasty, both would be nice

I'm telling you... there's no way we draft Brady.

Parcells was in an executive/GM role. He would have taken who HE wanted. Not who Beli and his Pats GM (Pioli?) took.

In other words, we would have still ended up with Pennington, because 1.) Parcells and 2.) having 4 first-rounders and being the Jets, not the Pats with Bledsoe, shifts your draft strategy.

100% guarantee we don't take Brady. He probably doesn't even get drafted, and we never even hear of him. Because nobody would have ever made him the centerpiece of a dynasty of cheating.

14 hours ago, Maine Coon Cat said:

Curious from other Jet's supporters how much responsibility they place on Bill Parcells (Bill Belichick was Parcells annointed one) when     Belichick resigned and then went on to lead the New England team to a 201-71 record , winning 14 AFC titles and four Super Bowl titles.

Woody Johnson at the time was in a bitter bidding war for the Jet's with Charles Dolan. Who actually won that?

In the same breath, the New York Jet's has had a 132-140 record winning one division title and no Super Bowls since then.

The cheating argument is pretty lame.

BB is cheating scumbag piece of sh*t who is literally one of the worst people to ever walk this earth.  Brady is an entitled cheating whiny little bitch who is a terrible person and impossible to like. 

I'll gladly cheer for a loser than support those scumbags because at the end of the day, none of this sh*t matters and their entire legacy is tainted by being cheating scumbag pieces of sh*t. 

2 hours ago, hokiejetfan92 said:

It would be nice to get an unfiltered no B.S version of why Belichick quit.

Did he see so much dysfunction?

Did Kraft promise  him the world?

Why did he even accept this job in the first place?

Who quits a head coaching job on the first day?

How did this even happen?

Woody took control of the Jets Jan.18th, 2000. My guess is BB got wind from some pretty good sources that Woody is a buffoon, and got out of here as quick as he could. Smart move.

Woody deserves no defense, because he sucks, but it's a little difficult to blame him for a few different things mentioned here given he didn't even own the team when they happened.  And no, it wasn't even clear at that point that he would be the owner, or if he was to win the bid, what kind of owner he would turn out to be.  By that kind of logic you could also try to blame the Dolans, but that would be pretty pointless too.

4 hours ago, hokiejetfan92 said:

I thought it was because Parcells had given away the farm in trying to win the SB in '98, leaving the Jets depleted of good draft picks. Bellichek did not want to be stuck with that.

4 hours ago, hokiejetfan92 said:

The answer is simple: Bill Belichick is an egomaniacal piece of garbage.

16 hours ago, PFSIKH said:

Even the biggest Jets apologist cannot say with a straight face Deflategate was 'proven' and/or 'undeniable'.

lol, it was beyond proven. In fact, a die hard Patriot bandwagoner can't say it with a straight face that Shady Brady didn't do it. 

16 hours ago, Maxman said:

We don't have to. Brady was found guilty by the commissioner. That is all that matters in the NFL.

Yous need to read the flawed Wells report. But your point is taken regarding the commissioner, that last collective bargaining agreement really screwed the players.

1 minute ago, j4jets said:

lol, it was beyond proven. In fact, a die hard Patriot bandwagoner can't say it with a straight face that Shady Brady didn't do it. 

I can and do. No apologist here. I challenge you to read the Wells report.

I did. Then you may comment with a true understanding and not with a knowledge based on reading articles. Actually researching it your self can be a bit of a challenge and takes some discipline

BTW, I expect the Cowboys to implode in the playoffs.

25 minutes ago, JetFanWithNOPSL2017 said:

Is that all the response you have? Too bad you cannot actually research the topic your self. Open a book at night rather than turning on the idiot box.

Bad enough the SOJF gang of five are derailing every thread. Now the trolling frontrunners supporting corruption and Satan are getting in on the act

1 hour ago, JetPotato said:

The answer is simple: Bill Belichick is an egomaniacal piece of garbage.

What you are describing is the state of the Jets organization then as well as today. There record reflects it.

He saw the train wreck starting.

Also, do you know him that well to portray him that way. Or are YOU the hatefull egomaniac?

24 minutes ago, Maine Coon Cat said:

I can and do. No apologist here. I challenge you to read the Wells report.

I did. Then you may comment with a true understanding and not with a knowledge based on reading articles. Actually researching it your self can be a bit of a challenge and takes some discipline

BTW, I expect the Cowboys to implode in the playoffs.

raw

1 hour ago, Maine Coon Cat said:

Yous need to read the flawed Wells report. But your point is taken regarding the commissioner, that last collective bargaining agreement really screwed the players.

Actually I don't need to. All I need to remember is that Brady was suspended and that the Patriots were penalized twice for cheating.

What you are describing is the state of the Jets organization then as well as today. There record reflects it.

He saw the train wreck starting.

Also, do you know him that well to portray him that way. Or are YOU the hatefull egomaniac?

"He saw the train wreck starting" is about as dumb as it gets. Also not sure how one could portray the Jets as egomaniacs. This is especially ironic coming from a Pats supporter.

Bottom line is that this guy, like many successful politicians and CEOs in modern society, exhibits all of the key traits of a sociopath. It's partly why he's successful, frankly. But it's also what makes him a crappy person. You know, the kind that puts winning ahead of decency, has no regard for sportsmanship, thinks he's bigger than the game; the kind that holds baseless grudges, lies and blames others for his own poor choices, and the kind who would cheat on his wife. He's garbage, plain and simple. Everyone sees it. The only people who don't are the ones who refuse to acknowledge it, because you know... sports trophies.

I'm glad he left. It's 17 years later and I have kids now. I'm glad I don't have to explain to them why my team made the choices it did, why its legacy will be forever tainted, and why much of the fans base makes excuses for poor behavior. I'm especially glad I didn't become a shameless shill that defends people that couldn't care less about me in kind. 

16 hours ago, devland said:

Story was one of the Jets scouts badly wanted to draft Brady but Parcells couldn't be convinced.  This is contained in Gary Meyers book.  So if Belichick was still here it was likely that Parcells would still have drafted defensive back Tony Scott instead.  Also one of the main reasons Belichick left was to get out from under Parcells shadow so he could make his own personal decisions..   BTW The same book also states that Belichick wanted to start Brady ahead of Bledsoe from the first game of the season but didn't because of his experience in Cleveland when he benched Bernie Kosar.  Brady starting ahead of Bledsoe was close to happening any way Mo Lewis or no Mo Lewis.

Jesse Kay is the name of the scout. Claimed he was screaming for Brady late in the draft, Parcells, having taken Pennington in the 1st, decided against taking another QB. 

I read the Wells report. I'm also a scientist. It appeared sound to anyone of a scientific mind. Really, the only ones who found flaws with it turned out to be people who had a vested interest in keeping the Tom Brady Fairy Tale alive. I find virtually everyone I've discussed this with that calls it "flawed" came to that conclusion based on what they've read on blogs, not because they are qualified as scientists. In fact, it's obvious to me that most of them had never even heard of the Ideal Gas Law until Deflategate occurred, and still exhibit a laughable understanding of what it means.

When you sit here and type "I read the report", it means nothing. It's clear you have an agenda, and that agenda is not a search for facts. It's to cherry pick and make extremely poor assumptions. My favorite part is when Pats fans claim that they, above all, are truly the objective readers of the report. They have so bought into the Belichikian culture that the Pats are bigger than the league, that they actually believe that fans of other teams across the country have more of a vested interest in the Pats than Pats fans do. It's unreal, bordering on mental illness.

Tell me, did you bother to read this? Go ahead, tell me you did more extensive study than these guys did. That you're more thorough than guys seeking facts rather than excuses:

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/09/25/sports/football/deflategate-new-england-Cheaters-nfl-science.html?_r=0

15 minutes ago, JetPotato said:

I read the Wells report. I'm also a scientist. It appeared sound to anyone of a scientific mind. Really, the only ones who found flaws with it turned out to be people who had a vested interest in keeping the Tom Brady Fairy Tale alive. I find virtually everyone I've discussed this with that calls it "flawed" came to that conclusion based on what they've read on blogs, not because they are qualified as scientists. In fact, it's obvious to me that most of them had never even heard of the Ideal Gas Law until Deflategate occurred, and still exhibit a laughable understanding of what it means.

When you sit here and type "I read the report", it means nothing. It's clear you have an agenda, and that agenda is not a search for facts. It's to cherry pick and make extremely poor assumptions. My favorite part is when Pats fans claim that they, above all, are truly the objective readers of the report. They have so bought into the Belichikian culture that the Pats are bigger than the league, that they actually believe that fans of other teams across the country have more of a vested interest in the Pats than Pats fans do. It's unreal, bordering on mental illness.

Tell me, did you bother to read this? Go ahead, tell me you did more extensive study than these guys did. That you're more thorough than guys seeking facts rather than excuses:

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/09/25/sports/football/deflategate-new-england-Cheaters-nfl-science.html?_r=0

Hurray! A fellow scientist with sound judgment. Very happy for the company. I was feeling all alone on here defending this. Where have you been?

9 hours ago, nyjunc said:

up until very recently we were one of the better franchises in the AFC since BB left.  obviously we never made a SB but we made the playoffs often and won a bunch of PO games.  It was just our luck that Tom Brady came around at the same time or we would have won more div titles and probably had a SB app or two.

Well said, that is a fair point. Compared to other teams (looking at you Buffalo) we have had a decent run.

On 1/4/2017 at 7:17 PM, Maine Coon Cat said:

Curious from other Jet's supporters how much responsibility they place on Bill Parcells (Bill Belichick was Parcells annointed one) when     Belichick resigned and then went on to lead the New England team to a 201-71 record , winning 14 AFC titles and four Super Bowl titles.

Woody Johnson at the time was in a bitter bidding war for the Jet's with Charles Dolan. Who actually won that?

In the same breath, the New York Jet's has had a 132-140 record winning one division title and no Super Bowls since then.

The cheating argument is pretty lame.

i heard the bellichicken when he came and resigned as hc or the ny jets.  pretty spineless if you ask me.  he made the excuse that the ownership was in transition but there's no doubt parcells would have made whatever owner keep the bellichicken and parcells would've turned over the whole team to little billy the following season.

I appreciate everyone's responses. The P#triots record speaks for itself, the Jets record speaks for itself.

Any other comparison is really a lot of wasted emotion.

Also, The New York Times has lost any credibility when up to election when the were predicting the win of HRC.

Anyone that needs to proclaim themselves as a "scientist" to reinforce their point has little credibility.

Perhaps, more sour grapes anyone?

I appreciate everyone's responses. The P#triots record speaks for itself, the Jets record speaks for itself.
Also, The New York Times has lost any credibility when up to election when the were predicting the win of HRC.
Anyone that needs to proclaim themselves as a "scientist" to reinforce their point has little credibility.

Maybe this troll IS the Governor of Maine

3 minutes ago, Maine Coon Cat said:

Ah, more straw men and false equivalence. The NY Times' stance on DJT has nothing to do with the report on Exponent and the data they generated. You obviously didn't read it, you obviously don't have the sufficient education to comment, and you obviously have bias, yet you somehow believe YOU have credibility over a plethora of qualified experts.

Whatever floats your boat, I guess. But as I said, this is borderline mental illness.

23 hours ago, section314 said:

Woody took control of the Jets Jan.18th, 2000. My guess is BB got wind from some pretty good sources that Woody is a buffoon, and got out of here as quick as he could. Smart move.

Your "guess" aside, Woody was not even the highest bidder when BB stepped down. 

Belichick wanted to be away from Parcells at that point, and I hate to say it but I can hardly blame him. Parcells pissed in his face, ruined the big pay raise (and control) he was to get from Kraft when Parcells stepped down last minute, and after that he for damn sure didn't want Parcells picking his players and FAs for him. The vindictive prick Parcells was - and BB knew him well - was at a minimum a credible risk for doing the opposite of what BB wanted after all that went down, just to bury him for spite before firing him shortly thereafter.

It's quite simple. If Parcells stepped down earlier, like he said/hinted he would after the season, Belichick is the HC of the NYJ and none of his napkin show happens. 

23 hours ago, Integrity28 said:

I'm telling you... there's no way we draft Brady.

Parcells was in an executive/GM role. He would have taken who HE wanted. Not who Beli and his Pats GM (Pioli?) took.

In other words, we would have still ended up with Pennington, because 1.) Parcells and 2.) having 4 first-rounders and being the Jets, not the Pats with Bledsoe, shifts your draft strategy.

100% guarantee we don't take Brady. He probably doesn't even get drafted, and we never even hear of him. Because nobody would have ever made him the centerpiece of a dynasty of cheating.

+1

He already had his "Parcells guys" Testaverde and Lucas, and had just drafted Pennington in the middle of round 1. I see no way he then drafts Brady. 

4 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

Your "guess" aside, Woody was not even the highest bidder when BB stepped down. 

Belichick wanted to be away from Parcells at that point, and I hate to say it but I can hardly blame him. Parcells pissed in his face, ruined the big pay raise (and control) he was to get from Kraft when Parcells stepped down last minute, and after that he for damn sure didn't want Parcells picking his players and FAs for him. The vindictive prick Parcells was - and BB knew him well - was at a minimum a credible risk for doing the opposite of what BB wanted after all that went down, just to bury him for spite before firing him shortly thereafter.

It's quite simple. If Parcells stepped down earlier, like he said/hinted he would after the season, Belichick is the HC of the NYJ and none of his napkin show happens. 

BB would have been looking at four first round draft picks as well. I wonder how he would have drafted. We took Sean Ellis, Chad Pennington, John Abraham and Anthony Becht. Three hits and one miss, though the number 199 pick outshined everyone. Care to guess who that was? I do agree that it was Parcells that had BB running for the exit. BB made Parcells more than the other way around and history has proven that out.

5 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

+1

He already had his "Parcells guys" Testaverde and Lucas, and had just drafted Pennington in the middle of round 1. I see no way he then drafts Brady. 

It has been reported that the Jets senior Midwest scout was pounding the table for Brady, so they may have taken a shot at him, though taking Pennington in round one wuld have made taking another QB prohibitive.

31 minutes ago, Ex-Rex said:

It has been reported that the Jets senior Midwest scout was pounding the table for Brady, so they may have taken a shot at him, though taking Pennington in round one wuld have made taking another QB prohibitive.

Yeah, well that table pounding occurred and we passed. 

Parcells wasn't "wasting" a draft pick on a 4th QB on a win-now team.

Archived