How the Jets stunted Christian Hackenberg's growth in a lost season

joewilly12

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply
9 hours ago, joewilly12 said:

How the Jets stunted Christian Hackenberg’s growth in a lost season for Gang Green 

The Jets need to take the bubble wrap off and see what kind of player Christian Hackenberg can be.

The Jets need to take the bubble wrap off and see what kind of player Christian Hackenberg can be.

(ED MULHOLLAND/GETTY IMAGES)

The Curious Case of Christian Hackenberg has prompted six words to dance in our heads:

Seriously, how bad can he be?

The tidal wave of criticism from different parts of the organization in recent weeks makes you wonder whether Jets general manager Mike Maccagnan whiffed with his second-round pick nearly nine months ago.

A team source told me that the former Penn State quarterback "will never make it." A Jets coach told ESPN that the rookie couldn't hit the ocean with his passes.

JETS KEEP 'EM, DUMP 'EM: Time to VOTE on who stays and who goes

There are two clear factions on One Jets Drive that have emerged. Neither one is particularly promising for a player taken with the 51st overall pick.

One camp believes that Hackenberg is a lost cause, which seems ridiculously harsh given that he's been a professional for less than a calendar year. The second group believes that it will take years before Hackenberg can be considered a legitimate candidate to be an NFL starter.

Full disclosure: I have no idea whether or not Hackenberg will be successful. I haven't seen him take a snap since his underwhelming performance in the preseason finale in Philly on September 1.

NYC PAPERS OUT. Social media use restricted to low res file max 184 x 128 pixels and 72 dpi

If Mike Maccagnan and Todd Bowles knew that Chan Gailey would retire after 2016 and still drafted Christian Hackenberg, then it’s fair to question their decision-making.

(HOWARD SIMMONS/NEW YORK DAILY NEWS)

Although eyewitnesses have made it clear to me that Hackenberg is the quintessential project, he hasn't exactly been in an ideal environment in his first several months in the league.

Jets’ Chan Gailey says ‘sky’s the limit’ for Christian Hackenberg

Consider this: Two lame-duck coaches were in charge of developing him.

Chan Gailey's retirement announcement included a statement from the former offensive coordinator that he had informed Todd Bowles before the season that 2016 would be his last.

So, Gailey, Bowles and presumably Maccagnan all knew that Hackenberg (and Bryce Petty, for that matter) would have to learn an entirely new system from new coaches in 2017.

Quarterbacks coach Kevin Patullo was Gailey's hand-picked guy, so it stands to reason that team decision makers knew that he was a goner too after this season barring a supersonic leap by one of the young signal callers.

Jets' Hackenberg won't 'sit and cry' about lack of playing time

It's unclear exactly when Gailey told Bowles that he would be coaching only one more season, but I hope it wasn't before the 2016 draft. If so, it would make Maccagnan's choice to draft Hackenberg that much more curious.

The Jets reached to pick Christian Hackenberg in the second round of the 2016 draft.

The Jets reached to pick Christian Hackenberg in the second round of the 2016 draft.

(NEW YORK DAILY NEWS)

Hackenberg deserves a fair chance to learn from coaches who will be around for longer than one year.

Think about it: Gailey maintained for months that it would take "thousands" of reps this offseason to fix Hackenberg's mechanical flaws knowing full well that he wasn't going to stick around to teach the kid any of it.

Give me a break.

Did Jets make mistake drafting a 2nd-rounder who can't help now?

Every coach needs to be fully invested in the present and future of their players, especially developmental ones at the most important position in the sport.

Maybe Hackenberg will live in the NFL margins. Maybe he'll evolve into a contributor. It's way too soon to bury the 21-year-old quarterback despite his apparent struggles in the first chapter of his career.

He needs to improve his mechanics and eye discipline. He needs to stop getting stressed in practice. He needs to exhale.

Christian Hackenberg is one of the toughest Jets to evaluate given his limited snaps. The Jets could’ve done him, and themselves, a favor by starting him in Week 17.

Christian Hackenberg is one of the toughest Jets to evaluate given his limited snaps. The Jets could’ve done him, and themselves, a favor by starting him in Week 17.

(RICH BARNES/GETTY IMAGES)

"I think you can take a year like this two ways," Hackenberg told the Daily Newsin October. "You can put your head down and say, 'Oh I'm not playing,' and kind of bury your head in the sand. Or you can say, 'Alright, this could be a good thing if you go out and maximize the opportunities and the resources around you.' So I'm trying to choose that path as much as I can."

Follow the Daily News Sports on Facebook. "Like" us here.

Hackenberg has the requisite physical tools and smarts to play at this level. His football acumen is one of the reasons why the Jets brain trust was sold on him in the first place.

The organization, however, erred by not starting Hackenberg in the season finale. There was no real downside. In fact, it would have been greatly beneficial for the rookie to get a full week to practice and prepare as the starter.

Even if he stunk it up on gameday, there would have been some positive moments to embolden him. You can take something good out of even poor performances.

"If you look at it, there's so many different journeys," Hackenberg told The News in October. "Even the older guys in the league right now. People have gotten to the same spot being a starter for a team in so many different ways. There's no blueprint to coming in and being the starter and lighting it up. You don't have to do that. You can sit. You cannot play so well, get traded and then light it up. There's so many different examples of people who are successful and they've done it in so many different ways."

Remove the bubble wrap this spring.

The redshirt year is over.

manish has proven once again what a moron he is.  he tears the kid down with the unamed jets source (probably geno and fitz) and then makes a feeble attempt to say how nobody really knows.  but more importantly he said he hasn't seen hack take a snap since the pre-season.  does this mean hack didn't even practice with the scout team?  if so i can imagine he took more than a snap or two and other people besides the two unamed jets sources (geno and fitz) have seen him throw.  the bottom line is manish is making up some fake news.  throw this bum out.

4 hours ago, Charlie Brown said:

THANK YOU!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Fitz at a reasonable resign price was risky to begin with but a long delayed signing whereby he wasn't even focusing on his craft by say PRACTICING was INSANE!!!

Brady, Manning, Brees, Rogers and so on practice during the summer but no the mighty Fitz.  It was a joke!!!

in hindsight this is more true than not but, imo, for a different reason.  i believe that because fitz held out the team actually reverted to being geno's.  when fitz finally did sign and the job was handed to him there was quite a bit of resentment especially from the geno camp which probably included sheldon and wilk.  it probably also extended to pryor and a few other players.  the team came out and started losing so the whole fitz situation festered more.  a couple of early wins would have defused the cancers and they wouldn't have finished 5-11.

5 hours ago, CrazyCarl40 said:

This is true. They should have cut Geno but couldn't because Petty was injured in the preseason. 

They would've cut Geno a lot sooner if that was the case. They intended on carrying 4 quarterbacks in 2016.

47 minutes ago, rangerous said:

in hindsight this is more true than not but, imo, for a different reason.  i believe that because fitz held out the team actually reverted to being geno's.  when fitz finally did sign and the job was handed to him there was quite a bit of resentment especially from the geno camp which probably included sheldon and wilk.  it probably also extended to pryor and a few other players.  the team came out and started losing so the whole fitz situation festered more.  a couple of early wins would have defused the cancers and they wouldn't have finished 5-11.

I agree with this and the anti Geno feelings are often so strong that this is definitely overlooked.  

Players on the Jets saw Geno busting his butt to improve and then Fitz' "friends" stick up for substandard play when he hadn't fully prepared.  IMO that definitely was a problem.

40 minutes ago, CrazyCarl40 said:

That's not a point I'm arguing at all. I'm saying what they should have done in my opinion. You're telling me what we all know they did. 

The chorus line for Futz

divided the team

broke the cap

kept the young QB's from developing

his abysmal play killed the season

A grand slam for the Futz camp

16 minutes ago, Jetdawgg said:

The chorus line for Futz

divided the team

broke the cap

kept the young QB's from developing

his abysmal play killed the season

A grand slam for the Futz camp

Not arguing with you any more old timer. You saying those things doesn't make them true. He's gone. Geno is gone. Move forward. You don't have much time left. No need to dwell in the past. 

2 minutes ago, CrazyCarl40 said:

Not arguing with you any more old timer. You saying those things doesn't make them true. He's gone. Geno is gone. Move forward. You don't have much time left. No need to dwell in the past. 

I have plenty of time left...lol

BTW, that is a loser post you made. I don't see how personal attacks on me are warranted because you chose Futz.

1 minute ago, Jetdawgg said:

I have plenty of time left...lol

BTW, that is a loser post you made. I don't see how personal attacks on me are warranted because you chose Futz.

How is that a personal attack? I am looking out for your best health interests. Who knows what's going to happen with Medicare. You have to take care of yourself. 

Also, friendly reminder I didn't choose Fitz. The owner, GM, coach, and team did. Your anger is misplaced. Not good for the old ticker. Maybe try some deep breathing and meditation. Good luck. 

7 hours ago, Joe Jets fan said:

2). Jets draft a qb and tell everyone that this QB will not see the field in 2016.  QB does not see the field and fans yell he must have been hidden from playing cause he sucks so much.  Wtf

I have no problem with the Jets drafting Hack.  If they think he's a franchise QB it's worth the risk.   The problem is taking a 'prospect' at #51 and not having a plan in place to actually develop him.   He's not magically going to go from 'prospect' to franchise by osmosis.   he needs coaching and there should have been a plan from day 1 on exactly how to develop his skills.    Getting no reps as the 4th QB and throwing for 10 minutes during warmups isn't the answer.  

there's no salary cap for coaches.   Hack should have had a personal QB.  Especially is Bowels and Macc knew that Gailey was done at end of the season.   There should have been a QB coach for cohesion who literally had no responsibility other than working on fundamentals with daily film reviews.   

I think there was something else at play.   Like a conflict b/w bowles and Macc and wasting the season was big FU to macc b/c bowels devalues the QB position and wanted Fitz signed long-term as soon as the season was over.  the only other explanation is bowels incompetence.  

2 minutes ago, LionelRichie said:

I have no problem with the Jets drafting Hack.  If they think he's a franchise QB it's worth the risk.   The problem is taking a 'prospect' at #51 and not having a plan in place to actually develop him.   He's not magically going to go from 'prospect' to franchise by osmosis.   he needs coaching and there should have been a plan from day 1 on exactly how to develop his skills.    Getting no reps as the 4th QB and throwing for 10 minutes during warmups isn't the answer.  

there's no salary cap for coaches.   Hack should have had a personal QB.  Especially is Bowels and Macc knew that Gailey was done at end of the season.   There should have been a QB coach for cohesion who literally had no responsibility other than working on fundamentals with daily film reviews.   

I think there was something else at play.   Like a conflict b/w bowles and Macc and wasting the season was big FU to macc b/c bowels devalues the QB position and wanted Fitz signed long-term as soon as the season was over.  the only other explanation is bowels incompetence.  

Orrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr the scout (Macc) was enamored with Hackenberg's tools but the football coaches don't give a sh*t about tools because they all added up to an entitled creampuff manchild who can't hit the side of a barn.

12 minutes ago, CrazyCarl40 said:

How is that a personal attack? I am looking out for your best health interests. Who knows what's going to happen with Medicare. You have to take care of yourself. 

Also, friendly reminder I didn't choose Fitz. The owner, GM, coach, and team did. Your anger is misplaced. Not good for the old ticker. Maybe try some deep breathing and meditation. Good luck. 

I am a Marine Corps veteran. A Sergeant. I don't get Medicare. I take great care of my health. I took a course on nutrition in the Corps. 

You chose Futz over Geno. No way can you spin or hide from that disaster. He held back the younger QB's. No doubt

1 minute ago, T0mShane said:

Orrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr the scout (Macc) was enamored with Hackenberg's tools but the football coaches don't give a sh*t about tools because they all added up to an entitled creampuff manchild who can't hit the side of a barn.

entirely possible, although it still doesn't change the FU.   As the HC you aren't going to get a draft edo and can't change the roster.   if Bowels plan was to pull a kaiser soze just to make a point he's going to be back to a DB coach in 2018.   

Just now, Jetdawgg said:

I am a Marine Corps veteran. A Sergeant. I don't get Medicare. I take great care of my health. I took a course on nutrition in the Corps. 

You chose Futz over Geno. No way can you spin or hide from that disaster. He held back the younger QB's. No doubt

Thank you for your service but I hear the VA for health care is in shambles. Be careful out there. 

Again, I didn't choose anything. I supported the Jets bringing back Fitz, that's true. Not spinning that or hiding from that. But if you think my opinion on this message board is influencing the coach and GM, then I don't know what to tell you. I can tell you that he hasn't hindered either Petty or Hack. Petty got plenty of time in the preseason and then got hurt. He then got some looks in the regular season and got hurt. Fitz being back had nothing to do with Hack not getting reps or playing time. That was the staffs plan all along, apparently. Even if they don't bring Fitz back, Hack never sees the field this year. So who's growth did Fitz stunt? Nobody. Again, he's not coming back next season. It's time to move forward. Time to come to grips with your Fitz obsession and find someone else to blame. 

5 minutes ago, LionelRichie said:

entirely possible, although it still doesn't change the FU.   As the HC you aren't going to get a draft edo and can't change the roster.   if Bowels plan was to pull a kaiser soze just to make a point he's going to be back to a DB coach in 2018.   

If Bowles buries Hack and loses his job for it, I'll remember him fondly as a stoic avatar of justice.

Guys don't worry. I've got footage that proves Hack is improving. Here is a shot of him practicing trying to hit the ocean:

article-2532221-1A5DCA4700000578-318_634

Unfortunately, it fell back down and hit him in the head, but this was the last rep of that practice and he improved greatly from the first try when he got it stuck in his underwear.

12 hours ago, FidelioJet said:

This feels like it falls much more on Mac than it does Bowles.  If, as it was reported and stated by Gaily, that Hack really didn't work on mechanics this year - as they didn't have time...After being taken in the 2nd round as a "Project" - In my opinion this is a fireable offense for Mac.

If you're not going to work on the mechanics or give him any reps how is the Project ever going to develop?

In the off season, when QBs go to work on their mechanics. It's the way it's done.  It's the way it has to be done.  How many times can people keep crying that not working on mechanics during this season will have an effect on his career and better yet is fireable.  

5 hours ago, August said:

Besides your dislike for Geno how would cutting him make sense?

Well it would have given the Jets only 3 QBs so there would be more opportunities for learning with Petty and Hack. It would have removed a malcontent from the locker room. It would have sent a message that this regime doesn't care where you were drafted, that no one was above getting cut. It would have told this fan base that maybe this new group of management actually has a clue. I mean it's fairly obvious that Geno wasn't well thought of by the staff and the team. It would have been addition by subtraction. He is gone now anyway, could have given him a jump on finding his next job. All it got by keeping him was a showcase of how he's still a bad quarterback and a torn up knee. 

I really believe MacCagnen and the Jets got blindsided by the Texans in the second round last year and did not know how to react with what had just happened.  Nick Martin the center/guard out of Notre Dame was going to be our pick.  Houston jumped right in front us and selected him.  The Jets stayed put and made the Hackenberg selection.  There was so much more offensive line help on the board at that time.  Now, Hackenberg potentially could  turn into a franchise QB, and as Jets fan, I hope he does.  With latest rumors of who they are interviewing for offensive coordinator, I don't see a commitment to developing a QB (I know rumors/wait and see who they actually hire), 

http://www.houstontexans.com/news/article-2/Texans-trade-up-again-select-C-Nick-Martin/2a0f8c67-d55f-43e1-b70a-943eb0e80611

3 hours ago, CrazyCarl40 said:

Well it would have given the Jets only 3 QBs so there would be more opportunities for learning with Petty and Hack. It would have removed a malcontent from the locker room. It would have sent a message that this regime doesn't care where you were drafted, that no one was above getting cut. It would have told this fan base that maybe this new group of management actually has a clue. I mean it's fairly obvious that Geno wasn't well thought of by the staff and the team. It would have been addition by subtraction. He is gone now anyway, could have given him a jump on finding his next job. All it got by keeping him was a showcase of how he's still a bad quarterback and a torn up knee. 

This team cut Dee Milliner who was a 1st round pick and Jace Amaro who was a 2nd round pick. The only thing you said that made sense was Hackenberg and Petty getting a chance to get more reps. Everything else you said is based on your dislike for him and nothing that made any sense imo. 

10 hours ago, LionelRichie said:

I think this hits the spot on the true problem. A dysfunctional organization where there is no chain of command, where the GM and coach are on the same level. If there isn't one person who is in charge, then there is nobody who is in charge. 

29 minutes ago, August said:

This team cut Dee Milliner who was a 1st round pick and Jace Amaro who was a 2nd round pick. The only thing you said that made sense was Hackenberg and Petty getting a chance to get more reps. Everything else you said is based on your dislike for him and nothing that made any sense imo. 

You're right. Good locker room guys always get punched in the face, miss meetings to go to the movies, and get kicked off airplanes. And Bowles had every chance to move on from Fitz last season, this offseason, and this season. And he never went to Geno. It's obvious how they feel about him. Sorry none of that makes sense to you in your opinion. 

Just now, #27TheDominator said:

No, see, it was all James Franklin's fault, until it was all Todd Bowles's fault.

1 hour ago, CrazyCarl40 said:

You're right. Good locker room guys always get punched in the face, miss meetings to go to the movies, and get kicked off airplanes. And Bowles had every chance to move on from Fitz last season, this offseason, and this season. And he never went to Geno. It's obvious how they feel about him. Sorry none of that makes sense to you in your opinion. 

So the guy with a history of violence even attacking beloved police officers is somehow in the right. 

No argument over the missed meeting no excuse for that. But missing 1 meeting doesn't make him a "malcontent".

And he was not kicked off an airplane he had his headphones on and he didn't hear the flight attendant, the situation escalated when the flight attendant snatched his headphones off. The airline later apologized. If you don't believe me I can link you the story. 

Todd Bowles and the Jets mismanaging the QB situation is an indictment on them. Funny enough when it was Petty in this situation the narrative was different...

but yes most of what you said made no sense. 

Archived