18 positions up for grabs - disaster or improvement?

LionelRichie

by my count there are likely 18 of 22 starting positions up for grabs this off-season with the Jets.   I think this is a testament to how god-awful the roster and last few drafts have been but I'm really not sure.   It may be a blessing to finally have players show up hungry and actually compete for a job.   The starters I have penciled in: 

DE - Wilkerson 

DE - Williams 

LB (t) - Lee 

LG - Carpenter 

As far as I can tell every other position is currently unsettled and basically up for grabs.   There are no contracts or entrenched starters that can't be cut or traded.   

Can anyone remember a time with more positions up for grabs?   Maybe Parcells 1st season, but even then he had more than 4 of "his guys" with pretty much guaranteed positions.    

i think pryor, marshall, decker, enunwa, anderson, harris, asj, skrine, powell, shell, and maybe a couple more.  these guys all are under contract and could/should be starters.  but your point is well taken.  there aren't many who have a solid lock on their positions right now.

5 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

The good news: Maccagnan hasn't contractually strangled the roster with many long term deals!

the bad news: he hasn't drafted anyone worth a long term deal.

williams?????  we'll probably see more of what jenkins, lee, devon smith, shell, burris, and anderson can do this next season.  i think with good coaching these guys will be good players.

2 minutes ago, rangerous said:

i think pryor, marshall, decker, enunwa, anderson, harris, asj, skrine, powell, shell, and maybe a couple more.  these guys all are under contract and could/should be starters.  but your point is well taken.  there aren't many who have a solid lock on their positions right now.

If he had any firing neurons, he'd be burning up the phones trying to trade both Marshall and Decker immediately. 

1 minute ago, rangerous said:

williams?????  we'll probably see more of what jenkins, lee, devon smith, shell, burris, and anderson can do this next season.  i think with good coaching these guys will be good players.

Where will they attain this "good coaching" you speak of? Watching Game Changin' Deone Buchanon highlight videos on YouTube?

Just now, T0mShane said:

If he had any firing neurons, he'd be burning up the phones trying to trade both Marshall and Decker immediately. 

why?  both marshall and decker are very good receivers who make the others that much better by drawing the defense.  if they trade either or both good luck with scaring the defenses with enunwa, anderson, and peake, or devon smith.

10 minutes ago, rangerous said:

why?  both marshall and decker are very good receivers who make the others that much better by drawing the defense.  if they trade either or both good luck with scaring the defenses with enunwa, anderson, and peake, or devon smith.

They're both over 30, have reasonable contracts, both are malcontents who didn't want any part of playing with a young QB, and the team is going 6-10 next year regardless of whether or not any opposing defense is scared of Eric Decker.

Just now, T0mShane said:

They're both over 30, have reasonable contracts, both are malcontents who didn't want any part of playing with a young QB, and the team is going 6-10 next year regardless of whether or not any opposing defense is scared of Eric Decker.

Good post, sadly.

21 minutes ago, rangerous said:

if Skrine is starting at CB next season then Macc should fired on the spot.   I've never seen an easier game of pitch and catch than watching Carson palmer throw 12 yd outs vs Skrine.   It was like practicing vs. air.   

Marshall isn't going to make 7.5M next season so he is a ? at best.  Harris is in the same boat.   Powell is competing with Forte for the starting spot.   enunwa had a breakout season but is guaranteed nothing, especially with a new OC.   Decker may not even be ready for the start of camp.   The rest are young and competing for a spot.  

7 hours ago, T0mShane said:

The good news: Maccagnan hasn't contractually strangled the roster with many long term deals!

You forgot the ugly.  Most of his moves have been  Idziot like and what's to believe that would change.  

7 hours ago, T0mShane said:

He's had two drafts, a total of 13 players.

Outside of Jarvis Harrison and Hack, every one of them has managed to get on the field and show something positive.

Nothing wrong with that.

The jury is still out on Macc.  With good coaching he can look even better.  So I would say the jury is quiet, thinking and perhaps adding to hear more testimony.

On Bowles, most of the jury is ready to convict.   They are arguing.  It is not looking good.  Unless Witness Woody either extends him or gives him a large budget for an OC, I think they convict him.

12 hours ago, Joe W. Namath said:

Decker is untradeable cause hes hurt.  Marshall will be gone shortly.

Enunwa and anderson start next year with peake and marshall as depth.

When decker returns from injury thats a solid 5 guys.

Hopefully, we get a miracle and a guy like mike williams falls to us at 6.

Solid?  Whoa nelly one year of okay but not great play from our young relievers does not make them solid.  These guys dropped a lot of balls down the stretch.

I want both Marshall and Decker back to be honest unless we get a nice offer for them.

Good: forces us to hold onto our draft picks and play young guys instead of spending a billion dollars to fill out half the roster with guys people have heard of

Bad: not all young guys will be good, and almost none will be good right away; Jets fans briefly lower paste from lips and angrily demand more guys they've heard of

Ugly: Woody is no smarter than the average Jets fan, and agrees that the problem is a glaring lack of guys he's heard of

14 hours ago, LionelRichie said:

by my count there are likely 18 of 22 starting positions up for grabs this off-season with the Jets.   I think this is a testament to how god-awful the roster and last few drafts have been but I'm really not sure.   It may be a blessing to finally have players show up hungry and actually compete for a job.   The starters I have penciled in: 

DE - Wilkerson 

DE - Williams 

LB (t) - Lee 

LG - Carpenter 

As far as I can tell every other position is currently unsettled and basically up for grabs.   There are no contracts or entrenched starters that can't be cut or traded.   

Can anyone remember a time with more positions up for grabs?   Maybe Parcells 1st season, but even then he had more than 4 of "his guys" with pretty much guaranteed positions.    

That's pretty much it.  I'd even say Lee could be upgraded considering he cant do anything he was drafted to do.  

I've said it numerous times before outside of the DL and 1 OG position, the Jets can upgrade every single position on the roster.  Sad but true. 

43 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

Solid?  Whoa nelly one year of okay but not great play from our young relievers does not make them solid.  These guys dropped a lot of balls down the stretch.

I want both Marshall and Decker back to be honest unless we get a nice offer for them.

Dropped a lot of balls down the stretch?  That is your complaint and you want Marshall back?  I think that guy dropped more in one game than all the young guys did for the season.

According Dropped Passes: 2016 NFL Season, Marshall was 2nd worst in the league with 8 total.  One better than Crabtree, but with a worse percentage per target (6.3%).  Enunwa and Anderson had 4 each, Peake and Jalin Marshall had 1.  None of the other WRs were worse than 4.6%.  Our worst drops come from ASJ (10%!) and the RBs, Forte, Powell and Spiller all were pretty bad. I don't know how official these stats are. I think people tend to rail on and on about any target that isn't caught being a drop unless it is in the third row, but I will physically fight anyone that thinks that Brandon Marshall was not worse than Anderson or any of the rookies regarding drops.

7 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

Dropped a lot of balls down the stretch?  That is your complaint and you want Marshall back?  I think that guy dropped more in one game than all the young guys did for the season.

According Dropped Passes: 2016 NFL Season, Marshall was 2nd worst in the league with 8 total.  One better than Crabtree, but with a worse percentage per target (6.3%).  Enunwa and Anderson had 4 each, Peake and Jalin Marshall had 1.  None of the other WRs were worse than 4.6%.  Our worst drops come from ASJ (10%!) and the RBs, Forte, Powell and Spiller all were pretty bad. I don't know how official these stats are. I think people tend to rail on and on about any target that isn't caught being a drop unless it is in the third row, but I will physically fight anyone that thinks that Brandon Marshall was not worse than Anderson or any of the rookies regarding drops.

Sure he did, he is also the type of WR that due to his smarts and physical attributes can make a QB look good.  Fitz looked like a war hero the year before this one having a good decker an Marshall.  People seem to be forgetting the era just before we got decker and marshall as to how awful our WRs were.

Peake, Anderson and Jain Marshal showed some stuff but hardly enough to be considered solid 1 or 2 guys.  Enumwa looked great the 1st half of last year but flat out dropped some key passes the last few games.

By all means dump marshal and decker but be ready to be looking for WRs in the short and long term.

14 hours ago, LionelRichie said:

DE - Wilkerson 

DE - Williams 

LB (t) - Lee 

LG - Carpenter 

It depends on what you mean by unsettled. In a lot of those spots, we have rookies/young player that should and will start. And you are forgetting the WRs.

And this is essentially how all rebuilds begin

14 hours ago, rangerous said:

Marshall and Pryor should be goners IMO, as well as Revis, Skrine, Clady, Giacomini, and maybe Mangold and Harris. I have no problem with bringing both veterans back since they are already signed. Henderson should be a cap casualty as well as Sefarian-Jenkins who gave us nothing.

Just now, Ex-Rex said:

Marshall and Pryor should be goners IMO, as well as Revis, Skrine, Clady, Giacomini, and maybe Mangold and Harris. I have no problem with bringing both veterans back since they are already signed. Henderson should be a cap casualty as well as Sefarian-Jenkins who gave us nothing.

Disagree about ASJ. LIke him at TE

2 minutes ago, Ex-Rex said:

Has potential but hasn't delivered. I would keep him until preseason is over. If he flashes yeah keep him, otherwise, nah.

That's fair.

Starters for this year right now. Wilkerson, Williams, Lee, Carpenter, Enunwa, Decker, ASJ, Powell, Jenkins

So that leaves 13 out of 22 starting positions in flux. 

28 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

Sure he did, he is also the type of WR that due to his smarts and physical attributes can make a QB look good.  Fitz looked like a war hero the year before this one having a good decker an Marshall.  People seem to be forgetting the era just before we got decker and marshall as to how awful our WRs were.

Peake, Anderson and Jain Marshal showed some stuff but hardly enough to be considered solid 1 or 2 guys.  Enumwa looked great the 1st half of last year but flat out dropped some key passes the last few games.

By all means dump marshal and decker but be ready to be looking for WRs in the short and long term.

Personally, I would dump one and it wouldn't be Decker.  

14 hours ago, T0mShane said:

This is a very valid point, but the flip side is that going into the season with Quincy Enunwa as your #1 WR, you're basically conceding the season before it starts. I'd keep one of them, and for me it would be Marshall. For all the man's faults, he's going to command genuine #1 WR attention, giving the kids more of a chance to succeed. Petty throwing to Enunwa and Anderson? If the #1 pick in 2018 is the goal, that's a good strategy. 

1 minute ago, #27TheDominator said:

ASJ had a 10% drop rate and has character concerns.  He is no lock for starter.  These reclamation projects are okay if they are straightening up and flying right, but you have to be careful who/what you are taking on.  See our starting ILB Erin Henderson.

And for ASJ, it's all on him. The Jets don't have the leadership in the locker room or on the coaching staff to make that difference with him. He has to want it for himself. Barring a stupid alcohol-related brush with the law, I'd give him every chance to get his crap together. 

16 hours ago, T0mShane said:

Everyone he has drafted is at the latest in year 2 of their contract. LMFAO. So whats the point of even talking about extensions and re-signing guys he drafted. 

It's an improvement if we look to add young players both in the draft and FA to compete/fill those voids.

You have to be young in todays NFL. The Jets need to be more on the other side of 30. Young players. That's the goal for me. I don't care if we have to start a guy or two next year whose a 4th or 5th rounder who might not be ready to start right away, we have to get young. The goal shouldn't be to plug holes with to many older vets.

5 minutes ago, ScarletKnight89 said:

It's an improvement if we look to add young players both in the draft and FA to compete/fill those voids.

You have to be young in todays NFL. The Jets need to be more on the other side of 30. Young players. That's the goal for me. I don't care if we have to start a guy or two next year whose a 4th or 5th rounder who might not be ready to start right away, we have to get young. The goal shouldn't be to plug holes with to many older vets.

Agreed look at perhaps our best fa signing of late, Carpenter, young up and coming player, not and end of the road guy,  The only position I would be fine with getting an older vet would be Left Tackle.

20 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

Agreed look at perhaps our best fa signing of late, Carpenter, young up and coming player, not and end of the road guy,  The only position I would be fine with getting an older vet would be Left Tackle.

Agreed. We could sprinkle in an older vet here and there but Maac went after to many early on. Revis, Fitz, Revis, Cromartie, McClendon, Clady, added with re-signing Harris and already having guys like Mangold, Brick, and Breno here.

I don't have a problem with any one of these guy by themselves. But when you combine them all you are left with an older team that's aging. That's to many guys to old to invest significant money into IMO.

Interesting that the Jets would dump any of their WRs, but I think Marshall would be the easiest one to replace.  Each of the Jets wide receivers played a different role within the offense and they seem to have a good group with a lot of versatility.  Decker is great route runner that gets open early in his routes; He is a very reliable target.  Marshall used to be a great all-around receiver that could beat you on the route, fight for the catch and hurt you after the catch.  He is starting show his age but is still a good receiver.  Enunwa could probably replace Marshall as he has a similar skill set.  Doesn't seem to have the confidence that Marshall has but that will develop with time.  Also his route running still needs to develop but he's getting there.  Anderson is a great developing WR but not there yet (reminder: he hasn't played that long).  Needs to work on his route running and work himself into the open areas in zone.  Anderson reminds me of T.Y. Hilton's struggles when he first came into the league.  Hilton was a boom or bust wide receiver that relied on big plays to have an impact.  Over the 5 years that Hilton has been in the league, he has developed his understanding of using his speed at the appropriate time to gain separation.  If Anderson learns to do this too, he could eventually become a starting WR.  Peake and Jalin Marshall seem to be too far off as of right now to take over that starting role or even the 3rd WR role.

If the Jets could keep this core of receivers together and they could stay healthy (big if), this unit is probably the least of their worries.  They have capable veterans with young developing talent behind them.  Seems like a good template for building a talented roster.  The other position groups on the team need both capable starters and young developing talent.  Only other position group that may be set up this way is the RBs.  Why add another problem when there are so many others to fill?

Archived