Observations from last night

UnitedWhofans

1. Speed over size. We saw the Falcons flying about in the first half of that game. Either Buck or Aikman mentioned that that is the philosophy to follow for that defense. Which is precisely what the Jets did when drafting Darron Lee. Now Deion Jones is a much more finished product than Darron Lee at this stage, there's no question about it. But with good coaching from Kevin Greene, I hope and think Lee can develop next year. And don't give me the whole "project in the first round" nonsense when the Rams and Broncos both drafted project QBs in the first round and barely played them. There was definitely method to drafting Lee.

2. There is an slight argument to be made that Bowles has done more with less than Quinn has. But it is very tenuous. At the most, I think the two coaches are basically equal in coaching ability. Quinn just happened to pick the team with the roster already in place.

3. I get a certain satisfaction from seeing the Patriots do the kinds of thing we saw last night to other teams. Because it just goes to show how hard the Jets, Dolphins and Bills have had it. As the Seventh Doctor once said "You can always judge a man by the quality of his enemies." 

4. After seeing Deion Jones and Jalen Collins develop so quickly from LSU, I wouldn't mind taking a peek at Jamal Adams. Because they do need someone to make an instant impact.

I've always found how the NFL adapts to be fascinating... Once something works other teams attempt to copy it.

And to your point, speed is the big "it" thing again right now. Guys are flying all over the field. QBs seem to be releasing the ball faster, and everything seems to just be moving a little quicker.

Although the results are obviously not there, I do think the Jets have been at least on the curb with their drafting when it comes to the current trends. Lee is the perfect example but just in general it feels like they've made some moves to be a faster team. 

52 minutes ago, UnitedWhofans said:

4. After seeing Deion Jones and Jalen Collins develop so quickly from LSU, I wouldn't mind taking a peek at Jamal Adams. Because they do need someone to make an instant impact.

I would appear that LSU and usually Alabama just consistently turn out great NFL players.  LSU maybe even more so, even though Alabama has beaten them.

35 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

Kevin Greene was hired as "outside linebackers coach."  I know he is supposed to be kind of a tweener and flop between positions, but with Erin Henderson apparently done, it seems like Lee will be a starting ILB.  That means he will most likely be spending most of his time with Caldwell.

This Caldwell guy is a mystery.  I wonder about him.

51 minutes ago, DMan77 said:

I've always found how the NFL adapts to be fascinating... Once something works other teams attempt to copy it.

And to your point, speed is the big "it" thing again right now. Guys are flying all over the field. QBs seem to be releasing the ball faster, and everything seems to just be moving a little quicker.

Although the results are obviously not there, I do think the Jets have been at least on the curb with their drafting when it comes to the current trends. Lee is the perfect example but just in general it feels like they've made some moves to be a faster team. 

So many teams go spread, you need guys to run to cover it.  Then you have all small fast guys, and a team like Dallas runs over you.

53 minutes ago, DMan77 said:

yes it's a copy cat league but how come so many teams don't want to play the game for the full 60 minutes.  the falcons had this game and they lost it because they stopped doing whatever it was that got them there.  and their oline was not that good either.

Speed is great and everything, but it didn't help them in the 2nd half when they were sucking wind and getting moved around by a heavier physical front.

Its also a good example of the pitfalls of playing straight press man an entire game.  You either look dominant or terrible, and worse it tires out your defenders rapidly and teams typically are able to mount comebacks.

IF anything my big take away is that depth is more important than having great number 1/2 dbs and then JAGs.  NE had great depth in their secondary and they were ultimately less tired and able to deal with Atlanta's numerous weapons, even if they don't have the dominant Revis type allworld corner.

12 minutes ago, varjet said:

I would appear that LSU and usually Alabama just consistently turn out great NFL players.  LSU maybe even more so, even though Alabama has beaten them.

This Caldwell guy is a mystery.  I wonder about him.

I don't think he is much of a mystery.  He is the assistant HC and many expected him to be the DC.  You don't remember him as a player?  He was around for a decade.  Checking his bio, he played for Belichick (Browns), Marv Lewis (Ravens), Reid/Johnson (Eagles), Dick Jauron (Bears), John Fox (Panthers).  He started coaching under Reid, working his way up and working with Bowles and under Bowles when Castillo got canned.  Bowles and Caldwell moved to Arizona when Reid left for KC.  He was credited with a bunch of success with the Cards when Dansby and Washington were gone in 2014.  Here are some bios:

Mike Caldwell wiki

Mike Caldwell Jets bio

Mike Caldwell Cards bio

With Todd Bowles expected to be announced as the new coach of the Jets, current Cardinals linebacker coach Mike Caldwell is expected to become the defensive coordinator in New York

10 minutes ago, Hael said:

Speed is great and everything, but it didn't help them in the 2nd half when they were sucking wind and getting moved around by a heavier physical front.

Its also a good example of the pitfalls of playing straight press man an entire game.  You either look dominant or terrible, and worse it tires out your defenders rapidly and teams typically are able to mount comebacks.

IF anything my big take away is that depth is more important than having great number 1/2 dbs and then JAGs.  NE had great depth in their secondary and they were ultimately less tired and able to deal with Atlanta's numerous weapons, even if they don't have the dominant Revis type allworld corner.

If you had to defend 90 offensive snaps in a single football game, you would be gassed also .

40 minutes ago, rangerous said:

yes it's a copy cat league but how come so many teams don't want to play the game for the full 60 minutes.  the falcons had this game and they lost it because they stopped doing whatever it was that got them there.  and their oline was not that good either.

Youth. Very young and inexperienced defensive guys back there... You can bet those guys won't take their foot off the gas again... Too bad though.

13 minutes ago, DMan77 said:

Youth. Very young and inexperienced defensive guys back there... You can bet those guys won't take their foot off the gas again... Too bad though.

maybe but every team brings in a bunch of yoot(h) every year.  it's up to the coaching staff to get them ready to play.  whatever went on in the falcons locker room at halftime didn't prepare them to come out and win.

1 hour ago, rangerous said:

No OL will hold up when you only run the ball 5 times in a half when the other team must blitz and you are up by 25 points!!!

That was dumb football and made the players look like they weren't good when those guys are great. 

7 hours ago, Charlie Brown said:

No OL will hold up when you only run the ball 5 times in a half when the other team must blitz and you are up by 25 points!!!

That was dumb football and made the players look like they weren't good when those guys are great. 

Even Rex would have Won the SB with that lead. He'd demand you don't pass. Falcons got cute it cost them the game. That's two OC's in two Pats Superbowls that have cost the their team the game.

1 minute ago, neckdemon said:

snapping the ball with like 15 seconds on the play clock again and again was just as stupid as the 3rd and 1 pass

there were a few snaps where it hadn't even reached 20 seconds.  After 8 years in the league, Matt Ryan should know better.  Not to mention the new haed coach of the 49ers.  Both of them should be blamed for that.  

15 hours ago, BurnleyJet said:

Even Rex would have Won the SB with that lead. He'd demand you don't pass. Falcons got cute it cost them the game. That's two OC's in two Pats Superbowls that have cost the their team the game.

very lucky for the cheats, eh?  

55 minutes ago, Dcat said:

there were a few snaps where it hadn't even reached 20 seconds.  After 8 years in the league, Matt Ryan should know better.  Not to mention the new haed coach of the 49ers.  Both of them should be blamed for that.  

i wanted to smack the sh*t out of him. i was telling my brother...."wtf is he doing snapping the ******* ball so soon?"

On 2/6/2017 at 4:44 PM, Hael said:

If Atlanta had run more than 12 plays in the second half, it would have helped.   No one can pass rush 67 times, any defense will get worn out.

Archived